|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What word from Chapter 6 means to destroy something (especially waste material) by burning?
2. Holston is described in Chapter 6 as “alone in the airlock, wearing a cleaning suit, full of doubts and” what?
3. Upon observing his wife’s state in Chapter 5, Holston considers, “There was nothing left for it but to lock her up, even as he wanted nothing else but room enough to” do what?
(a) “Think things through.”
(b) “Beat the walls.”
4. Holston recalls watching his wife get dressed for her cleaning through what, in Chapter 4?
(a) The bathroom curtain.
(b) The attic window.
(c) The airlock’s porthole.
(d) The security cameras.
5. When Holston looks back at the silo from the outside in Chapter 6, “All that stood behind him was a small mound of concrete, a tower” no more than how many feet tall?
(a) 8 or 9 feet tall.
(b) 2 or 3 feet tall.
(c) 15 or 16 feet tall.
(d) 4 or 5 feet tall.
6. How many cameras are described atop the tower of the silo in Chapter 6?
7. What does Holston recall Allison clutching as she collapsed after her cleaning in Chapter 4?
(a) Her gloves.
(b) Her boots.
(c) Her oxygen tank.
(d) Her helmet.
8. What does Allison say she wants to do when Holston tries talking to her as she’s detained on the floor in Chapter 5?
(a) Return home.
(b) Go out.
(c) Call her mother.
(d) Have a child.
9. As Holston considers the reasoning behind the difference in how the world actually looks and how it is portrayed inside the silo in Chapter 6, he wonders, “Could someone have decided that the truth was worse than” what?
(a) “A loss of power, of control?”
(b) “Another revolt of the people?”
(c) “The meaning of existence?”
(d) “The lives of the children?”
10. What word used in Chapter 6 means to make something continue indefinitely, such as an undesirable situation?
11. Holston is described as having NOT done what the entire time he watched Allison die in Chapter 4?
(c) Staying still.
12. Holston’s brain is described as being numb from lack of what in the beginning of Chapter 4?
(c) Carbon Monoxide.
13. What does Holston recall Allison doing after finishing her cleaning in Chapter 4?
(a) Screaming hysterically and beating the camera.
(b) Breaking the camera and running.
(c) Looking into the camera and waving at him.
(d) Taking off her helmet and smiling.
14. For how long after Allison’s cleaning does the narrator say Holston “had waited, buying into her insanity, hoping she’d come back” in the opening of Chapter 6?
(a) For the first week.
(b) For the first three months.
(c) For the first month.
(d) For the first year.
15. What kind of gas is pumped into the airlock after the warning horn in Chapter 6?
(b) Carbon monoxide.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom did Holston go on patrol at night with on the second anniversary of Allison’s departure?
2. Who handles the procedural work for Allison while Holston paces outside the bars of the holding cell in Chapter 5?
3. What person who had been sent to cleaning is described in Chapter 4 as having “been belligerent and hostile right up to the end”?
4. What word from Chapter 4 refers to a habitual gesture of way of speaking or behaving?
5. What color overwhelms the surroundings of the world outside the silo when Holston exits for his cleaning in Chapter 6?
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)