|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Nelson tells Holston in the beginning of Chapter 4 that the outfit he’s being dressed in has what attributes that will give Holston “more time out there than anyone has had before”?
(a) Kevlar boots.
(b) An aragonite helmet.
(c) A second spray-on lining.
(d) A chain-mail exterior.
2. What word from Chapter 4 refers to the state of disrepair or ruin as a result of age or neglect?
3. The narrator states in Chapter 4 that “the silo with hits great screens showing the outside world was usually” in what state during cleanings?
4. When Holston looks back at the silo from the outside in Chapter 6, “All that stood behind him was a small mound of concrete, a tower” no more than how many feet tall?
(a) 15 or 16 feet tall.
(b) 2 or 3 feet tall.
(c) 4 or 5 feet tall.
(d) 8 or 9 feet tall.
5. How many cameras are described atop the tower of the silo in Chapter 6?
6. The narrator describes the second anniversary of Allison’s departure as Holston’s year of what, in Chapter 6?
7. Allison tells Holston in Chapter 5, “There could be people outside… They could be” doing what?
(a) “Preparing to attack.”
(b) “Planning to kill us.”
(c) “Waiting for me.”
(d) “Watching us.”
8. What word from Chapter 6 refers to a strong and fast-moving stream of water or liquid?
9. Whom does Holston believe is watching him from the cafeteria and/or lounge as he performs the cleaning in Chapter 6?
(b) Mayor Jahns.
(c) No one.
(d) Deputy Marnes.
10. Holston recalls watching his wife get dressed for her cleaning through what, in Chapter 4?
(a) The security cameras.
(b) The bathroom curtain.
(c) The attic window.
(d) The airlock’s porthole.
11. What word in Chapter 5 means to engage in plots and intrigues or to scheme?
12. What word used in Chapter 5 refers to the act of making a forcefully reproachful protest?
13. Holston is described as having NOT done what the entire time he watched Allison die in Chapter 4?
(a) Staying still.
14. What color helmet does Holston recall Allison wearing during her cleaning in Chapter 4?
15. What is Holston described as wearing underneath the outfit Nelson dresses him in, in Chapter 4?
(a) A flannel undersuit.
(b) A black carbon undersuit.
(c) A white cotton undersuit.
(d) A red plaid plastic undersuit.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is said to cause the metal groan that Holston hears as he prepares to exit for cleaning in Chapter 6?
2. Allison tells Holston in the holding cell in Chapter 5 that she’s seen the programs they use. “The ones that make pictures on the screens that look” what?
3. After Allison finished her cleaning, Holston recalls her walking toward what before collapsing?
4. For how long after Allison’s cleaning does the narrator say Holston “had waited, buying into her insanity, hoping she’d come back” in the opening of Chapter 6?
5. What does Holston recall Allison using to clean with during her cleaning in Chapter 4?
This section contains 555 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)