|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Holston says to his wife in Chapter 3, “You’re saying that someone wiped out our history to stop us from” what?
(a) “Finding out the truth of the past.”
(b) “Discovering the genocide.”
(c) “Repeating it.”
(d) “Progressing forward.”
2. Allison tells Holston in the beginning of Chapter 3 that there was more than one what?
(b) Former dictator.
(d) Nuclear disaster.
3. What word from Chapter 2 refers to a minute area of illumination on a display screen?
4. What is said to cling to the boots that Holston is wearing in Chapter 1?
(a) Melted plastic.
(b) Metal shavings.
(d) Wood shavings.
5. The narrator describes the sky in Chapter 2 as “the same dull gray of” what?
(a) “Poppy flowers.”
(b) “The smoke from a train.”
(c) “The ocean.”
(d) “His childhood.”
6. What did Holston and his wife hang over their bed to increase fertility?
7. What word from Chapter 2 means not important or significant?
8. In the conclusion of Chapter 3, the narrator states that Holston’s “wife was poking some great, overly full balloon with” what?
(a) “A broomstick.”
(b) “A sword.”
(c) “A needle.”
(d) “A dagger.”
9. What did Holston and his wife keep under the mattress to bring luck for having twins?
(a) 2 flowers.
(b) 2 potatoes.
(c) 2 dimes.
(d) 2 pennies.
10. What is Holston surrounded by in his condo in Chapter 3?
(b) Winter coats.
(c) Pots and pans.
(d) Work files.
11. What word from Chapter 3 refers to the process of obtaining or consulting of material stored in a computer system?
12. What word from Chapter 1 refers to a pleasing view, especially one seen through a long, narrow opening?
13. What word from Chapter 1 means not in harmony or keeping with the surroundings of other aspects of something?
14. What does Holston say Marnes’s title is in the end of Chapter 2?
(b) Police Chief.
15. How many years does Holston say it’s been since he served his wife her last meal in the holding cell in Chapter 2?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Allison say to Holston “is always good” in Chapter 3?
2. The narrator describes each step in Chapter 1 as being “rounded down like a pouting lip.” What literary technique is used in this example?
3. How long ago does the mayor say the uprising was in Chapter 2?
4. What word used in Chapter 3 refers to the state of feeling or showing remorse?
5. What is the mayor’s name in Chapter 2?
This section contains 439 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)