|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What word in Chapter 3 refers to the state of being barred from one’s native country?
2. What word from Chapter 1 refers to a pleasing view, especially one seen through a long, narrow opening?
3. What word from Chapter 1 means to oscillate or move rhythmically and steadily to and fro?
4. The narrator describes each step in Chapter 1 as being “rounded down like a pouting lip.” What literary technique is used in this example?
(b) Literary allusion.
5. In Chapter 1, the narrator describes the “tight confines” of the stairway as “threading through the buried silo like a straw in a glass.” What literary technique is used in this sentence?
6. How is the staircase that Holston is climbing described in Chapter 1?
7. What word does Allison use in Chapter 3 to describe her supposition intended to the explain past events?
8. Holston says to his wife in Chapter 3, “You’re saying that someone wiped out our history to stop us from” what?
(a) “Discovering the genocide.”
(b) “Progressing forward.”
(c) “Repeating it.”
(d) “Finding out the truth of the past.”
9. What word from Chapter 2 means essential or fundamental?
10. What is the mayor wearing when she appears at the holding cell in Chapter 2?
(a) A hazard suit.
(c) A pinstriped suit.
(d) A blue dress.
11. What is the mayor’s name in Chapter 2?
(a) Mayor Parkins.
(b) Mayor Jahns.
(c) Mayor Nelson.
(d) Mayor Percy.
12. Whom does Holston see picking up scattered chalk and crayons from the stained tiles at the top of the stairs in Chapter 1?
13. In the conclusion of Chapter 3, the narrator states that Holston’s “wife was poking some great, overly full balloon with” what?
(a) “A broomstick.”
(b) “A sword.”
(c) “A dagger.”
(d) “A needle.”
14. What word from Chapter 1 refers to a systematic or established manner?
15. What is described in the center of each step as the items that “once gave the treads their grip” in Chapter 1?
(a) Small spigots.
(b) Small trapezoids.
(c) Small hearts.
(d) Small diamonds.
Short Answer Questions
1. The low rolling hills that Holston looks at from the holding cell are described as a pretty shade of brown like what?
2. Where does the narrator say Holston left his wedding ring in Chapter 2?
3. How many years ago was Jack Brent put to cleaning, according to the narrator in Chapter 2?
4. What is said to cling to the boots that Holston is wearing in Chapter 1?
5. What word from Chapter 3 refers to a person who betrays a friend, country, or principle?
This section contains 459 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)