|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What rooms are described in Chapter 1 as being filled with “tangles of pipes, like a vast universe”?
(a) Purification rooms.
(b) Airlock chambers.
(c) Torture rooms.
(d) Reading rooms.
2. What is described as “the only moving feature on the landscape” in Chapter 2?
(a) “The birds.”
(b) “The clouds.”
(c) “The cattle.”
(d) “The buffalo.”
3. What word from Chapter 2 means essential or fundamental?
4. Whose son bumps into Holston’s knees at the top of the stairs in Chapter 1?
(a) Paula’s son.
(b) Sharon’s son.
(c) Susan’s son.
(d) Allison’s son.
5. How many years ago does the narrator say Donna Parkins was put to cleaning in Chapter 2?
6. Of Holston, the narrator says in Chapter 2, “He pretended not to care, to be disinterested in” what?
(a) “The why of the cleaning.”
(b) “The past of the cleaning.”
(c) “The how of the cleaning.”
(d) “The when of the cleaning.”
7. Whom does the mayor say will be at the desk all night and for Holston to contact him if he changes his mind about the meal in Chapter 2?
(a) Deputy Marnes.
(b) Mayor Clarke.
(c) Chief Conner.
(d) Deputy Nelson.
8. How many years has it been since someone’s been sent to cleaning in Chapter 3?
9. What does Allison say to Holston “is always good” in Chapter 3?
(a) “Challenging authority.”
(b) “Respect for authority.”
(c) “Loving one another.”
(d) “Knowing the truth.”
10. What is Holston’s position of employment in the novel?
11. What word from Chapter 1 refers to a systematic or established manner?
12. What does “IT” stand for in Chapter 3?
(a) Illiterate Technology.
(b) Indication Technician.
(c) Internet Theory.
(d) Information Technology.
13. What idiom is used in Chapter 3 to refer to a prediction that directly or indirectly causes itself to become true, by the very terms of the prediction itself, due to positive feedback between belief and behavior?
(a) A bitter pill.
(b) Apple of discord.
(c) Self-fulfilling prophecy.
(d) Birds of a feather.
14. What word in Chapter 3 refers to a serious disagreement or argument?
15. When the mayor exits in the end of Chapter 2, she tells Holston, “And I won’t insult you by suggesting” what?
(a) “You prepare yourself.”
(b) “You forget about her.”
(c) “You write a will.”
(d) “You get some sleep.”
Short Answer Questions
1. Allison says to Holston when he suggests that maybe she shouldn’t be doing this work, “If I don’t piece it together now, somebody else will at some point. You can’t put” what “back in the bottle”?
2. How many years ago was Jack Brent put to cleaning, according to the narrator in Chapter 2?
3. What word from Chapter 1 refers to a pleasing view, especially one seen through a long, narrow opening?
4. What were the children doing “while Holston climbed to his death” in Chapter 1?
5. What are described in Chapter 1 as “the widest rooms of the entire silo complex”?
This section contains 499 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)