|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The narrator states in Chapter 1, “That always amazed [Holston]: how centuries of bare palms and shuffling feet could wear down” what?
(a) “Solid steel.”
(b) “Solid earth.”
(c) “Solid concrete.”
(d) “Solid iron.”
2. Holston says to his wife in Chapter 3, “You’re saying that someone wiped out our history to stop us from” what?
(a) “Finding out the truth of the past.”
(b) “Discovering the genocide.”
(c) “Repeating it.”
(d) “Progressing forward.”
3. What does the narrator say Holston and his wife had “invited into their lives” in Chapter 1?
4. Allison tells Holston in the beginning of Chapter 3 that there was more than one what?
(a) Former dictator.
(b) Nuclear disaster.
5. What word from Chapter 1 refers to the surgical removal of body tissue?
6. Whom does Holston see picking up scattered chalk and crayons from the stained tiles at the top of the stairs in Chapter 1?
7. How many years ago was Jack Brent put to cleaning, according to the narrator in Chapter 2?
8. In describing the stairway in Chapter 1, the narrator says, “Each step was slightly bowed from” what?
(a) “Generations of traffic.”
(b) “The endless earthquakes.”
(c) “The constant wearing by soldiers.”
(d) "Tears of crocodiles."
9. What rooms are described in Chapter 1 as being filled with “tangles of pipes, like a vast universe”?
(a) Torture rooms.
(b) Purification rooms.
(c) Reading rooms.
(d) Airlock chambers.
10. The divisions of dormitories that Holston passes as he makes his way up the staircase in Chapter 1 are described as being shaped like what?
11. What is Holston’s position of employment in the novel?
12. Whose son bumps into Holston’s knees at the top of the stairs in Chapter 1?
(a) Allison’s son.
(b) Sharon’s son.
(c) Paula’s son.
(d) Susan’s son.
13. The low rolling hills that Holston looks at from the holding cell are described as a pretty shade of brown like what?
(b) The Mississippi River.
(c) Peanut butter.
14. Holston’s office is described in Chapter 1 as being between the cafeteria and what?
(a) The nursery.
(b) The zoo.
(c) The airlock.
(d) The schoolroom.
15. What word from Chapter 2 means essential or fundamental?
Short Answer Questions
1. The narrator states in Chapter 3 that Holston’s “wife was a wizard with computers, no doubt, but” what “was not her bag, it was his”?
2. The days of Holston’s childhood are described in Chapter 1 as being over how many years distant?
3. Allison says to Holston when he suggests that maybe she shouldn’t be doing this work, “If I don’t piece it together now, somebody else will at some point. You can’t put” what “back in the bottle”?
4. What word does Allison use in Chapter 3 to describe her supposition intended to the explain past events?
5. What word from Chapter 2 means cruel and vicious?
This section contains 476 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)