|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The narrator describes each step in Chapter 1 as being “rounded down like a pouting lip.” What literary technique is used in this example?
(b) Literary allusion.
2. How long ago does the mayor say the uprising was in Chapter 2?
(a) Six decades ago.
(b) Two decades ago.
(c) A half of a century ago.
(d) A century and a half ago.
3. Holston thinks to himself in Chapter 2, “Tomorrow will be my” what?
(a) “Wedding day.”
4. In Chapter 1, the narrator describes the “tight confines” of the stairway as “threading through the buried silo like a straw in a glass.” What literary technique is used in this sentence?
5. What word from Chapter 1 means not in harmony or keeping with the surroundings of other aspects of something?
Short Answer Questions
1. The narrator says in Chapter 2, “There were larger things to consider than the act of” what?
2. Whose son bumps into Holston’s knees at the top of the stairs in Chapter 1?
3. Where does the narrator say Holston left his wedding ring in Chapter 2?
4. What is the name of Holston’s wife who is deceased?
5. When the mayor exits in the end of Chapter 2, she tells Holston, “And I won’t insult you by suggesting” what?
This section contains 258 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)