|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is said to cling to the boots that Holston is wearing in Chapter 1?
(a) Wood shavings.
(b) Melted plastic.
(c) Metal shavings.
2. What is described in the center of each step as the items that “once gave the treads their grip” in Chapter 1?
(a) Small diamonds.
(b) Small spigots.
(c) Small trapezoids.
(d) Small hearts.
3. The narrator states in Chapter 1, “That always amazed [Holston]: how centuries of bare palms and shuffling feet could wear down” what?
(a) “Solid steel.”
(b) “Solid earth.”
(c) “Solid concrete.”
(d) “Solid iron.”
4. What rooms are described in Chapter 1 as being filled with “tangles of pipes, like a vast universe”?
(a) Reading rooms.
(b) Purification rooms.
(c) Airlock chambers.
(d) Torture rooms.
5. The days of Holston’s childhood are described in Chapter 1 as being over how many years distant?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the deputy that greets Holston in his office in Chapter 1?
2. What are described in Chapter 1 as “the widest rooms of the entire silo complex”?
3. What does the narrator say Holston and his wife had “invited into their lives” in Chapter 1?
4. The voices that Holston hears as he ascends the staircase in Chapter 1 are described as what?
5. What word from Chapter 1 refers to a pleasing view, especially one seen through a long, narrow opening?
This section contains 238 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)