|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 1.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The narrator states in Chapter 1, “That always amazed [Holston]: how centuries of bare palms and shuffling feet could wear down” what?
(a) “Solid earth.”
(b) “Solid steel.”
(c) “Solid iron.”
(d) “Solid concrete.”
2. What is the name of the deputy that greets Holston in his office in Chapter 1?
(a) Deputy Jahns.
(b) Deputy Nelson.
(c) Deputy Marnes.
(d) Deputy Conner.
3. What is described in the center of each step as the items that “once gave the treads their grip” in Chapter 1?
(a) Small diamonds.
(b) Small hearts.
(c) Small trapezoids.
(d) Small spigots.
4. How many years is Holston said to have “spent silently waiting for what would never come” in Chapter 1?
5. What are described in Chapter 1 as “the widest rooms of the entire silo complex”?
(a) The nursery and the gardens.
(b) The cafeteria and lounge.
(c) The cellar and the attic.
(d) The dormitories and the atrium.
Short Answer Questions
1. The narrator says of Holston in Chapter 1, “And he thought, not for the first time, that neither life nor staircase had been meant for” what?
2. What word from Chapter 1 refers to the surgical removal of body tissue?
3. In describing the stairway in Chapter 1, the narrator says, “Each step was slightly bowed from” what?
4. What word from Chapter 1 means to oscillate or move rhythmically and steadily to and fro?
5. What rooms are described in Chapter 1 as being filled with “tangles of pipes, like a vast universe”?
This section contains 259 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)