|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What word from Chapter 1 refers to a monumental structure with a square or triangular base and sloping sides that meet in a point at the top?
2. The narrator describes the sky in Chapter 2 as “the same dull gray of” what?
(a) “The ocean.”
(b) “The smoke from a train.”
(c) “Poppy flowers.”
(d) “His childhood.”
3. What are described in Chapter 2 as “the only books to survive the uprising”?
(a) Children’s books.
(b) Science textbooks.
(c) Religious books.
(d) History books.
4. Holston’s office is described in Chapter 1 as being between the cafeteria and what?
(a) The schoolroom.
(b) The zoo.
(c) The airlock.
(d) The nursery.
5. What does Holston carry with him everywhere, according to the narrator in Chapter 1?
(a) A newspaper clipping.
(b) A handgun.
(c) A lottery ticket.
(d) A stapler.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word from Chapter 1 means not in harmony or keeping with the surroundings of other aspects of something?
2. How long ago does the mayor say the uprising was in Chapter 2?
3. What is described in the center of each step as the items that “once gave the treads their grip” in Chapter 1?
4. How many years does Holston say it’s been since he served his wife her last meal in the holding cell in Chapter 2?
5. Who is described in Chapter 1 as sitting “behind a table arranged with cups of juice and bowls of cornflour cookies”?
This section contains 250 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)