• Wool is the first book in the Wool Series, a science fiction series which takes place on a futuristic, post-apocalyptic planet Earth.
• The principle setting of Wool is established in Chapter 1 as “the silo,” an underground, multi-storied bunker where all known humanity now lives.
• As Chapter 1 opens, the protagonist and sheriff of the silo, Holston, climbs the silo stairs “to his death” as he listens to the happy sounds of children playing on the floors above him.
• Holston’s mind wanders as he climbs each floor, recalling the time when he and his wife Allison won the lottery, which meant they would be allowed to have a child.
• Holston’s memories flash back to the superstitions he and Allison had regarding conception and their hopes for having twins.
• Holston and Allison were unable to conceive a child before Allison died.
• As Holston reaches the cafeteria and lounge...
This section contains 1,817 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)