|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dorothy NOT prepare or put on in preparation for her trip?
2. What do Dorothy and the other travelers have to cross at the beginning of this chapter?
3. Where do the travelers walk after they cross the river?
4. What does the Wizard never let anyone do?
5. What is the Scarecrow afraid of?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does the cyclone drop Dorothy's house?
2. When the travelers get to a large ditch, what plan does the Scarecrow devise?
3. What is the only thing the answer to #10 fears in his life?
4. What happens with the current is too strong for the travelers to cross the river?
5. When they cross the ditch, whose land do the travelers enter?
6. Who is Dorothy's constant companion and friend?
7. What is the Scarecrow's wise conclusion as they are travel all the way through the land of china?
8. What is the method of capturing the travelers that works for the Wicked Witch of the West?
9. Who are the miniature people, characterized by their blue dress?
10. When Dorothy tells the Scarecrow about Kansas, how does he react?
Essay Topic 1
If the Wizard never lets anyone see him, how do the people in the Land of Oz know he's real? What are some of the ways that the Wizard controls the perceptions of the people? Why do you think these tricks work so well?
Essay Topic 2
Eventually, Dorothy manages to kill the witch by accident. Why do you think Baum make the witch's demise so simple? What is the significance of the scene in which Dorothy tosses the water on her? What does this say about evil and killing it?
Essay Topic 3
Explain what "There's no place like home" means to Dorothy and what it means generally to you as the reader.
This section contains 1,566 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)