|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens near the center of the river?
2. The land the travelers is in has changed colors. What is the color in this chapter?
3. When was Scarecrow made?
4. What does the Wizard look like to the Tin Woodman?
5. What is so special about the animal that the Tin Woodman spares?
Short Essay Questions
1. What becomes an obstacle to the Lion, Dorothy, and Toto, but not to the Tin Woodman and the Scarecrow?
2. After Dorothy kills the Wicked Witch of the West, who is happy to be free of the witch's spell?
3. What does the Wizard insert into the Tin Woodman's chest?
4. Why doesn't Dorothy get back to Kansas in this chapter?
5. How do the Munchkins and the Witch of the North know that Dorothy has killed the Wicked Witch of the East?
6. What are some of the things that Dorothy packs in preparation for her trip to see the Wizard?
7. When Dorothy tells the Scarecrow about Kansas, how does he react?
8. Where does the cyclone drop Dorothy's house?
9. How does the Wizard propose he will get Dorothy back to Kansas?
10. Who is the person Dorothy runs to when she finally gets back to Kansas?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Eventually, Dorothy manages to kill the witch by accident. Why do you think Baum make the witch's demise so simple? What is the significance of the scene in which Dorothy tosses the water on her? What does this say about evil and killing it?
Essay Topic 2
When they enter the land of white china, Dorothy becomes enchanted by a small beautiful princess, even going so far as to try to convince the princess to come back with her to Kansas. Why do you think Dorothy relates to this princess? What do you think Dorothy sees in this figurine? What does this say about Dorothy and how she sees herself?
Essay Topic 3
No one has told Dorothy that the silver shoes would have taken her home at any time. Why do you think this was kept a secret until the end? How did this secret benefit others? Do you think it was done intentionally to get the witch killed? Why or why not? How would the shoes have helped Dorothy in other parts of the story?
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)