|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Toto do to provoke the answer to #63?
2. What does Dorothy do to protect Toto?
3. When the Woodman's heart was taken away, so was his ____________.
4. When Dorothy tells the Scarecrow about Kansas, he wonders why anyone would want to go back to such a ____________.
5. From what does Dorothy help the Scarecrow get down from?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does the cyclone drop Dorothy's house?
2. What happens to the house when the cyclone hits?
3. Who is afraid of the growls of the wild animals in the forest?
4. Who are the miniature people, characterized by their blue dress?
5. Who is the first person that Dorothy encounters as she travels to see the Wizard?
6. The travelers find themselves lost in the land of the Winkies. Why?
7. How is the Wizard's identity revealed to the travelers?
8. What do the travelers have to wear before they can enter the City of Emeralds?
9. When Toto, Dorothy, and the Scarecrow all hear a groan when walking through the forest, what do they discover is the source?
10. There is no chapter 25
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The witch longs for the silver shoes of Dorothy, going to great lengths to take them from her. Why do you think she doesn't try harder to get them? Why does the witch want them in the first place? Why can't a witch travel to new places on her own with magic? What do you think the silver shoes represent to the witch?
Essay Topic 2
When the Wizard gives each of the travelers (besides Dorothy) something the represents the thing they want most in the world, why are the travelers so happy? Why do you think they believe these items are actually what they long for? Why do you think these items work so well to help the travelers feel complete?
Essay Topic 3
When Dorothy and the travelers are granted access to the Wizard, they are first primped and pampered. Why do you think this is done? Why is Dorothy put into a green silk gown? What purpose does this serve?
This section contains 1,525 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)