|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Scarecrow and Dorothy share on their journey?
2. Where do the travelers walk after they cross the river?
3. What is the Scarecrow afraid of?
4. Who did the Scarecrow effectively fool?
5. Where do Scarecrow and Dorothy spend the night?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Toto, Dorothy, and the Scarecrow all hear a groan when walking through the forest, what do they discover is the source?
2. What does Glinda ask for in return for helping Dorothy return to Kansas?
3. Who is Dorothy's constant companion and friend?
4. Who is afraid of the growls of the wild animals in the forest?
5. What is the method of capturing the travelers that works for the Wicked Witch of the West?
6. When Dorothy discovers the Golden Cap, what does she do with it?
7. What do the travelers have to wear before they can enter the City of Emeralds?
8. What is the Scarecrow's wise conclusion as they are travel all the way through the land of china?
9. Where does the cyclone drop Dorothy's house?
10. What causes the family to retreat to the storm cellar?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Wizard is only hidden by a screen, it is revealed in the end. Why do you think no one ever looked behind the screen before? What stopped others from finding the Wizard out? If you were the Wizard, how would you have hidden yourself so that you couldn't be detected?
Essay Topic 2
There are different colors that make up the different lands of Oz. List all of the colors and their corresponding lands and then give a reason for each of the colors. Why do you think these colors were chosen for these particular people? Are there colors that would have suited the lands better?
Essay Topic 3
When the Wizard gives each of the travelers (besides Dorothy) something the represents the thing they want most in the world, why are the travelers so happy? Why do you think they believe these items are actually what they long for? Why do you think these items work so well to help the travelers feel complete?
This section contains 588 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)