|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Dorothy's aunt's name?
2. Why does the Scarecrow want the answer to #31?
3. The Wizard decides to meet the travelers _______ at a time.
4. Who is the small woman dressed in a brilliant white dress?
5. What kills the witch?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the Scarecrow's new brains comprised of?
2. What is the method of capturing the travelers that works for the Wicked Witch of the West?
3. When Toto, Dorothy, and the Scarecrow all hear a groan when walking through the forest, what do they discover is the source?
4. Which character feels right at home with the moss and the trees?
5. What becomes an obstacle to the Lion, Dorothy, and Toto, but not to the Tin Woodman and the Scarecrow?
6. Why can't the winged monkeys help Dorothy get back to Kansas?
7. What is the one thing the answer to #10 really wants more than anything else in the world?
8. What does the Tin Woodman do when the action in #47 happens?
9. Who is the character that tells the Scarecrow that a brain would make him just as good as a man?
10. Who is afraid of the growls of the wild animals in the forest?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Cowardly Lion is another great character. At first, do you think Dorothy should have reacted differently to him? Why or why not? Why do you think Dorothy decided to include him as well on her trip? What does the Lion have to offer? What does the Lion do during the story to help? Give three examples of how the Cowardly Lion helps during the trip to Oz.
Essay Topic 2
When the Wizard gives each of the travelers (besides Dorothy) something the represents the thing they want most in the world, why are the travelers so happy? Why do you think they believe these items are actually what they long for? Why do you think these items work so well to help the travelers feel complete?
Essay Topic 3
When the animals ask the Lion to kill the spider, it seems this is the ultimate test of his 'new' courage. Why do you think the Lion succeed in his task? Would he have been able to complete the task before receiving the green potion? Why or why not?
This section contains 629 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)