|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who helps the evil old woman with the answer to #54?
2. What is Dorothy's last name?
3. When the Woodman's heart was taken away, so was his ____________.
4. What do the Scarecrow and Dorothy share on their journey?
5. What does Dorothy NOT prepare or put on in preparation for her trip?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dorothy say when she returns to Kansas?
2. What becomes an obstacle to the Lion, Dorothy, and Toto, but not to the Tin Woodman and the Scarecrow?
3. What happens with the current is too strong for the travelers to cross the river?
4. What are the strangest creatures that the travelers encounter when they are nearly at Glinda's castle?
5. Who is the first person that Dorothy encounters as she travels to see the Wizard?
6. Which character feels right at home with the moss and the trees?
7. When the Scarecrow asks the advice of a soldier about what they should do to help Dorothy, what does the soldier suggest?
8. What causes the family to retreat to the storm cellar?
9. What is the method of capturing the travelers that works for the Wicked Witch of the West?
10. What does the curse do to the Tin Woodman?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The conscience of the Tin Woodman prevents him from killing a mouse and thus grants the travelers a great ally. What are two of the ways that mice help the travelers in the story? If the mice had not pledged to help, would Dorothy and the others have been successful in their trip?
Essay Topic 2
Explain what "There's no place like home" means to Dorothy and what it means generally to you as the reader.
Essay Topic 3
The Scarecrow doesn't seem to offer a lot of help to the journey at first, as he tells Dorothy that he wants brains. So, why do you think Dorothy decided to bring the Scarecrow along? What does Dorothy think the Scarecrow has to offer? What does the Scarecrow reveal as the story progresses? How does he help? Give three examples of ways he helps the journey.
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)