|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dorothy NOT prepare or put on in preparation for her trip?
2. What do Dorothy and the other travelers have to cross at the beginning of this chapter?
3. Where do the travelers walk after they cross the river?
4. What does the Wizard never let anyone do?
5. What is the Scarecrow afraid of?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does the cyclone drop Dorothy's house?
2. When the travelers get to a large ditch, what plan does the Scarecrow devise?
3. What is the only thing the answer to #10 fears in his life?
4. What happens with the current is too strong for the travelers to cross the river?
5. When they cross the ditch, whose land do the travelers enter?
6. Who is Dorothy's constant companion and friend?
7. What is the Scarecrow's wise conclusion as they are travel all the way through the land of china?
8. What is the method of capturing the travelers that works for the Wicked Witch of the West?
9. Who are the miniature people, characterized by their blue dress?
10. When Dorothy tells the Scarecrow about Kansas, how does he react?
Essay Topic 1
When Dorothy has to run after Toto, she misses the balloon that's going back home. If you were in her position, would you have left Toto in Oz or would you have done what she did? Why or why not? Do you think Dorothy made the right decision? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
When they enter the land of white china, Dorothy becomes enchanted by a small beautiful princess, even going so far as to try to convince the princess to come back with her to Kansas. Why do you think Dorothy relates to this princess? What do you think Dorothy sees in this figurine? What does this say about Dorothy and how she sees herself?
Essay Topic 3
The Tin Woodman is one of the most fascinating creatures in the story with his history. However, do you think a tin man is a good person to have along on a trip to see the Wizard? Why do you think Dorothy decided to include the Tin Woodman? What does the Tin Woodman have to offer? What does the Tin Woodman do during the course of the story to help? Give three examples of ways the Tin Woodman helps the story and the journey.
This section contains 1,566 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)