Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dorothy NOT prepare or put on in preparation for her trip?
2. What do Dorothy and the other travelers have to cross at the beginning of this chapter?
3. Where do the travelers walk after they cross the river?
4. What does the Wizard never let anyone do?
5. What is the Scarecrow afraid of?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does the cyclone drop Dorothy's house?
2. When the travelers get to a large ditch, what plan does the Scarecrow devise?
3. What is the only thing the answer to #10 fears in his life?
4. What happens with the current is too strong for the travelers to cross the river?
5. When they cross the ditch, whose land do the travelers enter?
6. Who is Dorothy's constant companion and friend?
7. What is the Scarecrow's wise conclusion as they are travel all the way through the land of china?
8. What is the method of capturing the travelers that works for the Wicked Witch of the West?
9. Who are the miniature people, characterized by their blue dress?
10. When Dorothy tells the Scarecrow about Kansas, how does he react?
Essay Topic 1
Explain what "There's no place like home" means to Dorothy and what it means generally to you as the reader.
Essay Topic 2
When the Wizard gives each of the travelers (besides Dorothy) something the represents the thing they want most in the world, why are the travelers so happy? Why do you think they believe these items are actually what they long for? Why do you think these items work so well to help the travelers feel complete?
Essay Topic 3
The setting of the story plays a large part at the beginning of Dorothy's adventures, with everything being gray and lifeless. Why do you think Baum decided to create this sort of setting for the story? How does it help or hurt the story? Why? Describe alternative settings that may have been just as effective.
This section contains 573 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)