|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Dorothy tells the Scarecrow about Kansas, he wonders why anyone would want to go back to such a ____________.
2. Where is the group of travelers now going?
3. Scarecrow doesn't mind being made of straw because be never gets hurt and he never gets ________.
4. Who will Scarecrow ask for the answer to #31?
5. How many rooms does the home have?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who will become the new ruler of the Emerald City?
2. How do the Munchkins and the Witch of the North know that Dorothy has killed the Wicked Witch of the East?
3. When the travelers get to a large ditch, what plan does the Scarecrow devise?
4. What is the one thing the answer to #10 really wants more than anything else in the world?
5. What becomes an obstacle to the Lion, Dorothy, and Toto, but not to the Tin Woodman and the Scarecrow?
6. Why doesn't Dorothy get back to Kansas in this chapter?
7. What happens when the Scarecrow tries to enter the woods?
8. What would the Tin Woodman like to receive from the Wizard?
9. When Dorothy is to see the Wizard, what is she dressed in before she is taken to the throne room?
10. What does the curse do to the Tin Woodman?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Wicked Witch of the West is relentless in her attempts to thwart the travelers, but the travelers stop all of her attacks. Why do you think the witch waited so long to use the Golden Cap? Do you think this was a wise choice? Why or why not? Are there other ways the witch might have been able to stop the travelers?
Essay Topic 2
The Tin Woodman is one of the most fascinating creatures in the story with his history. However, do you think a tin man is a good person to have along on a trip to see the Wizard? Why do you think Dorothy decided to include the Tin Woodman? What does the Tin Woodman have to offer? What does the Tin Woodman do during the course of the story to help? Give three examples of ways the Tin Woodman helps the story and the journey.
Essay Topic 3
The Wizard is only hidden by a screen, it is revealed in the end. Why do you think no one ever looked behind the screen before? What stopped others from finding the Wizard out? If you were the Wizard, how would you have hidden yourself so that you couldn't be detected?
This section contains 1,560 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)