|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dorothy tell Scarecrow about Kansas?
2. Where do Dorothy and her relatives live?
3. What happens near the center of the river?
4. How many rooms does the home have?
5. What prevents Dorothy from reaching safety?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who will become the new ruler of the Emerald City?
2. There is no chapter 25
3. Why can't the winged monkeys help Dorothy get back to Kansas?
4. When they cross the ditch, whose land do the travelers enter?
5. When Toto barks at the Lion, what does the Lion do?
6. What is the only thing the answer to #10 fears in his life?
7. What does Glinda ask for in return for helping Dorothy return to Kansas?
8. When the travelers get to a large ditch, what plan does the Scarecrow devise?
9. How do the Munchkins and the Witch of the North know that Dorothy has killed the Wicked Witch of the East?
10. What does the Scarecrow threaten to do if the Wizard will not see them?
Essay Topic 1
No one has told Dorothy that the silver shoes would have taken her home at any time. Why do you think this was kept a secret until the end? How did this secret benefit others? Do you think it was done intentionally to get the witch killed? Why or why not? How would the shoes have helped Dorothy in other parts of the story?
Essay Topic 2
The setting of the story plays a large part at the beginning of Dorothy's adventures, with everything being gray and lifeless. Why do you think Baum decided to create this sort of setting for the story? How does it help or hurt the story? Why? Describe alternative settings that may have been just as effective.
Essay Topic 3
When the Wizard gives each of the travelers (besides Dorothy) something the represents the thing they want most in the world, why are the travelers so happy? Why do you think they believe these items are actually what they long for? Why do you think these items work so well to help the travelers feel complete?
This section contains 1,507 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)