|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the traveler's mission in order to get Dorothy home?
2. When Dorothy protects Toto from the lion, what does the Lion admit to being?
3. Who can swim against the current and tows the raft to shore?
4. Where does Dorothy spend her first night in Oz?
5. What do Dorothy and the other travelers have to cross at the beginning of this chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why aren't the travelers welcome in the land of china?
2. What is the only thing the answer to #10 fears in his life?
3. Which character feels right at home with the moss and the trees?
4. What happens with the current is too strong for the travelers to cross the river?
5. Who did the Tin Woodman once fall in love with?
6. The travelers find themselves lost in the land of the Winkies. Why?
7. What happens to the house when the cyclone hits?
8. What does the Wizard insert into the Tin Woodman's chest?
9. When Toto, Dorothy, and the Scarecrow all hear a groan when walking through the forest, what do they discover is the source?
10. Because of the decision in #27, what happens to the Tin Woodman?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Even though she does not know what it does, Dorothy takes the Golden Cap with her. Why do you think Dorothy chose to do this? What reasons might she have had to take this along on the journey? What else could she have taken?
Essay Topic 2
No one has told Dorothy that the silver shoes would have taken her home at any time. Why do you think this was kept a secret until the end? How did this secret benefit others? Do you think it was done intentionally to get the witch killed? Why or why not? How would the shoes have helped Dorothy in other parts of the story?
Essay Topic 3
The Scarecrow doesn't seem to offer a lot of help to the journey at first, as he tells Dorothy that he wants brains. So, why do you think Dorothy decided to bring the Scarecrow along? What does Dorothy think the Scarecrow has to offer? What does the Scarecrow reveal as the story progresses? How does he help? Give three examples of ways he helps the journey.
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)