|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the witch attempt to starve, though unsuccessfully?
2. Where does the yellow brick road lead Dorothy and the Scarecrow?
3. What does the witch watch the travelers with?
4. Who does Dorothy agree with in the debate mentioned in #57?
5. What does Dorothy NOT prepare or put on in preparation for her trip?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes the family to retreat to the storm cellar?
2. What becomes an obstacle to the Lion, Dorothy, and Toto, but not to the Tin Woodman and the Scarecrow?
3. What is the only thing the answer to #10 fears in his life?
4. When the Scarecrow asks the advice of a soldier about what they should do to help Dorothy, what does the soldier suggest?
5. When Toto, Dorothy, and the Scarecrow all hear a groan when walking through the forest, what do they discover is the source?
6. What are the various ways that the travelers see the Wizard?
7. Who is afraid of the growls of the wild animals in the forest?
8. What happens to the house when the cyclone hits?
9. What happens when the Scarecrow tries to enter the woods?
10. When the travelers get to a large ditch, what plan does the Scarecrow devise?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When the Wizard gives each of the travelers (besides Dorothy) something the represents the thing they want most in the world, why are the travelers so happy? Why do you think they believe these items are actually what they long for? Why do you think these items work so well to help the travelers feel complete?
Essay Topic 2
The conscience of the Tin Woodman prevents him from killing a mouse and thus grants the travelers a great ally. What are two of the ways that mice help the travelers in the story? If the mice had not pledged to help, would Dorothy and the others have been successful in their trip?
Essay Topic 3
When Dorothy has to run after Toto, she misses the balloon that's going back home. If you were in her position, would you have left Toto in Oz or would you have done what she did? Why or why not? Do you think Dorothy made the right decision? Why or why not?
This section contains 605 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)