|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the mice build?
2. When Dorothy tells the Scarecrow about Kansas, he wonders why anyone would want to go back to such a ____________.
3. When Dorothy protects Toto from the lion, what does the Lion admit to being?
4. Why does the Scarecrow want the answer to #31?
5. What does the Tin Woodman kill?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who will become the new ruler of the Emerald City?
2. Who is the character that tells the Scarecrow that a brain would make him just as good as a man?
3. When the Scarecrow asks the advice of a soldier about what they should do to help Dorothy, what does the soldier suggest?
4. When the Tin Woodman sees a wildcat chasing a mouse, what does he do?
5. Why doesn't Dorothy get back to Kansas in this chapter?
6. How does Dorothy finally kill the Wicked Witch of the West?
7. There is no chapter 25
8. What does Glinda ask for in return for helping Dorothy return to Kansas?
9. How do the travelers finally find their way back to the City of Emeralds?
10. What is the discouraging news the travelers learn when they enter the land of green?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The witch longs for the silver shoes of Dorothy, going to great lengths to take them from her. Why do you think she doesn't try harder to get them? Why does the witch want them in the first place? Why can't a witch travel to new places on her own with magic? What do you think the silver shoes represent to the witch?
Essay Topic 2
Eventually, Dorothy manages to kill the witch by accident. Why do you think Baum make the witch's demise so simple? What is the significance of the scene in which Dorothy tosses the water on her? What does this say about evil and killing it?
Essay Topic 3
The Wizard is only hidden by a screen, it is revealed in the end. Why do you think no one ever looked behind the screen before? What stopped others from finding the Wizard out? If you were the Wizard, how would you have hidden yourself so that you couldn't be detected?
This section contains 563 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)