|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the answer to #83 designed to do?
2. The Scarecrow says he has seen _________ in his short life.
3. Where does the yellow brick road lead Dorothy and the Scarecrow?
4. What leads Dorothy and the Scarecrow to the woodchopper?
5. Where does Dorothy spend her first night in Oz?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Dorothy get back to Kansas in this chapter?
2. What does Dorothy say when she returns to Kansas?
3. Who will become the new ruler of the Emerald City?
4. The travelers find themselves lost in the land of the Winkies. Why?
5. When Dorothy and the Scarecrow finish their stories, what happens?
6. When Toto barks at the Lion, what does the Lion do?
7. What does Glinda ask for in return for helping Dorothy return to Kansas?
8. What are some of the things that Dorothy packs in preparation for her trip to see the Wizard?
9. How is the Wizard's identity revealed to the travelers?
10. How do the Munchkins and the Witch of the North know that Dorothy has killed the Wicked Witch of the East?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When the animals ask the Lion to kill the spider, it seems this is the ultimate test of his 'new' courage. Why do you think the Lion succeed in his task? Would he have been able to complete the task before receiving the green potion? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The setting of the story plays a large part at the beginning of Dorothy's adventures, with everything being gray and lifeless. Why do you think Baum decided to create this sort of setting for the story? How does it help or hurt the story? Why? Describe alternative settings that may have been just as effective.
Essay Topic 3
Eventually, Dorothy manages to kill the witch by accident. Why do you think Baum make the witch's demise so simple? What is the significance of the scene in which Dorothy tosses the water on her? What does this say about evil and killing it?
This section contains 571 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)