Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dorothy NOT prepare or put on in preparation for her trip?
2. What do Dorothy and the other travelers have to cross at the beginning of this chapter?
3. Where do the travelers walk after they cross the river?
4. What does the Wizard never let anyone do?
5. What is the Scarecrow afraid of?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does the cyclone drop Dorothy's house?
2. When the travelers get to a large ditch, what plan does the Scarecrow devise?
3. What is the only thing the answer to #10 fears in his life?
4. What happens with the current is too strong for the travelers to cross the river?
5. When they cross the ditch, whose land do the travelers enter?
6. Who is Dorothy's constant companion and friend?
7. What is the Scarecrow's wise conclusion as they are travel all the way through the land of china?
8. What is the method of capturing the travelers that works for the Wicked Witch of the West?
9. Who are the miniature people, characterized by their blue dress?
10. When Dorothy tells the Scarecrow about Kansas, how does he react?
Essay Topic 1
The Scarecrow and the Tin Woodman realize the danger of the poppies, but can not stop the others from falling asleep in the field. How could they have made it through this field without falling asleep? What could have been done differently? Or was the sleep unavoidable? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The witch longs for the silver shoes of Dorothy, going to great lengths to take them from her. Why do you think she doesn't try harder to get them? Why does the witch want them in the first place? Why can't a witch travel to new places on her own with magic? What do you think the silver shoes represent to the witch?
Essay Topic 3
The conscience of the Tin Woodman prevents him from killing a mouse and thus grants the travelers a great ally. What are two of the ways that mice help the travelers in the story? If the mice had not pledged to help, would Dorothy and the others have been successful in their trip?
This section contains 609 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)