|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many times can the owner of the Golden Cap call on the monkeys?
2. What does the Wizard appear like to Dorothy?
3. What do Dorothy and the other travelers have to cross at the beginning of this chapter?
4. The Scarecrow says he has seen _________ in his short life.
5. Who told Scarecrow that if he had brains he would be just as good as a man?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is afraid of the growls of the wild animals in the forest?
2. There is no chapter 25
3. What happens when the Scarecrow tries to enter the woods?
4. What does the Wizard insert into the Tin Woodman's chest?
5. Because of the decision in #27, what happens to the Tin Woodman?
6. What is the Scarecrow's wise conclusion as they are travel all the way through the land of china?
7. What causes the family to retreat to the storm cellar?
8. There is no chapter 25
9. How long ago was the Scarecrow made?
10. What is the method of capturing the travelers that works for the Wicked Witch of the West?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1If the Wizard never lets anyone see him, how do the people in the Land of Oz know he's real? What are some of the ways that the Wizard controls the perceptions of the people? Why do you think these tricks work so well?
Essay Topic 2The Scarecrow doesn't seem to offer a lot of help to the journey at first, as he tells Dorothy that he wants brains. So, why do you think Dorothy decided to bring the Scarecrow along? What does Dorothy think the Scarecrow has to offer? What does the Scarecrow reveal as the story progresses? How does he help? Give three examples of ways he helps the journey.
Essay Topic 3Explain what "There's no place like home" means to Dorothy and what it means generally to you as the reader.
This section contains 522 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)