|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Scarecrow and Woodman have a debate about whether ________ or __________ is more important.
2. What is Dorothy's aunt's name?
3. What does Dorothy do to protect her house?
4. When Dorothy protects Toto from the lion, what does the Lion admit to being?
5. What does Dorothy tell Scarecrow about Kansas?
Short Essay Questions
1. When they cross the ditch, whose land do the travelers enter?
2. Who did the Tin Woodman once fall in love with?
3. What are the various ways that the travelers see the Wizard?
4. When Dorothy discovers the Golden Cap, what does she do with it?
5. How do the Munchkins and the Witch of the North know that Dorothy has killed the Wicked Witch of the East?
6. What does the Lion do in order to become the King of the Forest?
7. What becomes an obstacle to the Lion, Dorothy, and Toto, but not to the Tin Woodman and the Scarecrow?
8. How does the Wizard propose he will get Dorothy back to Kansas?
9. What are some of the things that Dorothy packs in preparation for her trip to see the Wizard?
10. When the Scarecrow asks the advice of a soldier about what they should do to help Dorothy, what does the soldier suggest?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Cowardly Lion is another great character. At first, do you think Dorothy should have reacted differently to him? Why or why not? Why do you think Dorothy decided to include him as well on her trip? What does the Lion have to offer? What does the Lion do during the story to help? Give three examples of how the Cowardly Lion helps during the trip to Oz.
Essay Topic 2
Eventually, Dorothy manages to kill the witch by accident. Why do you think Baum make the witch's demise so simple? What is the significance of the scene in which Dorothy tosses the water on her? What does this say about evil and killing it?
Essay Topic 3
There are different colors that make up the different lands of Oz. List all of the colors and their corresponding lands and then give a reason for each of the colors. Why do you think these colors were chosen for these particular people? Are there colors that would have suited the lands better?
This section contains 643 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)