|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is so special about the animal that the Tin Woodman spares?
2. How long was the Woodman standing in the woods as Dorothy and Scarecrow found him?
3. What would the Scarecrow like most in the world?
4. How many times can the owner of the Golden Cap call on the monkeys?
5. What does the Witch of the North give Dorothy for protection?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who greets Dorothy and calls Dorothy a great sorceress for killing the Wicked Witch of the East?
2. Who are the miniature people, characterized by their blue dress?
3. What would the Tin Woodman like to receive from the Wizard?
4. When Toto, Dorothy, and the Scarecrow all hear a groan when walking through the forest, what do they discover is the source?
5. What happens when the Scarecrow tries to enter the woods?
6. There is no chapter 25
7. How do the Munchkins and the Witch of the North know that Dorothy has killed the Wicked Witch of the East?
8. Who is the first person that Dorothy encounters as she travels to see the Wizard?
9. How do the travelers finally find their way back to the City of Emeralds?
10. How do the travelers get past the answer to #53?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When the Wizard gives each of the travelers (besides Dorothy) something the represents the thing they want most in the world, why are the travelers so happy? Why do you think they believe these items are actually what they long for? Why do you think these items work so well to help the travelers feel complete?
Essay Topic 2
The Cowardly Lion is another great character. At first, do you think Dorothy should have reacted differently to him? Why or why not? Why do you think Dorothy decided to include him as well on her trip? What does the Lion have to offer? What does the Lion do during the story to help? Give three examples of how the Cowardly Lion helps during the trip to Oz.
Essay Topic 3
No one has told Dorothy that the silver shoes would have taken her home at any time. Why do you think this was kept a secret until the end? How did this secret benefit others? Do you think it was done intentionally to get the witch killed? Why or why not? How would the shoes have helped Dorothy in other parts of the story?
This section contains 609 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)