|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What prevents Dorothy from reaching safety?
2. Where is the group of travelers now going?
3. What would the Scarecrow like most in the world?
4. What does Dorothy do to protect Toto?
5. Who does the small cottage belong to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when the Scarecrow tries to enter the woods?
2. Why doesn't Dorothy get back to Kansas in this chapter?
3. What does the curse do to the Tin Woodman?
4. What is the one thing the answer to #10 really wants more than anything else in the world?
5. Why aren't the travelers welcome in the land of china?
6. Who is the character that tells the Scarecrow that a brain would make him just as good as a man?
7. What happens to the house when the cyclone hits?
8. What does Dorothy say when she returns to Kansas?
9. Who is afraid of the growls of the wild animals in the forest?
10. There is no chapter 25
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Scarecrow and the Tin Woodman realize the danger of the poppies, but can not stop the others from falling asleep in the field. How could they have made it through this field without falling asleep? What could have been done differently? Or was the sleep unavoidable? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The Tin Woodman is one of the most fascinating creatures in the story with his history. However, do you think a tin man is a good person to have along on a trip to see the Wizard? Why do you think Dorothy decided to include the Tin Woodman? What does the Tin Woodman have to offer? What does the Tin Woodman do during the course of the story to help? Give three examples of ways the Tin Woodman helps the story and the journey.
Essay Topic 3
The Wizard is only hidden by a screen, it is revealed in the end. Why do you think no one ever looked behind the screen before? What stopped others from finding the Wizard out? If you were the Wizard, how would you have hidden yourself so that you couldn't be detected?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)