|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Dorothy given to wear when she meets the Wizard?
2. Who is flustered when the travelers arrive at the City of Emeralds and demand to see the Wizard?
3. What does the yellow brick road lead the travelers to?
4. What do the travelers hear as they journey through the forest?
5. Who cuts down the tree to create a bridge?
Short Essay Questions
1. There is no chapter 25
2. What does Glinda ask for in return for helping Dorothy return to Kansas?
3. What happens with the current is too strong for the travelers to cross the river?
4. When Dorothy tells the Scarecrow about Kansas, how does he react?
5. Where does the cyclone drop Dorothy's house?
6. What are the various ways that the travelers see the Wizard?
7. How does the Wizard propose he will get Dorothy back to Kansas?
8. How does Dorothy finally kill the Wicked Witch of the West?
9. After Dorothy kills the Wicked Witch of the West, who is happy to be free of the witch's spell?
10. What are some of the things that Dorothy packs in preparation for her trip to see the Wizard?
Essay Topic 1
The Wizard is only hidden by a screen, it is revealed in the end. Why do you think no one ever looked behind the screen before? What stopped others from finding the Wizard out? If you were the Wizard, how would you have hidden yourself so that you couldn't be detected?
Essay Topic 2
The Wicked Witch of the West is relentless in her attempts to thwart the travelers, but the travelers stop all of her attacks. Why do you think the witch waited so long to use the Golden Cap? Do you think this was a wise choice? Why or why not? Are there other ways the witch might have been able to stop the travelers?
Essay Topic 3
When they enter the land of white china, Dorothy becomes enchanted by a small beautiful princess, even going so far as to try to convince the princess to come back with her to Kansas. Why do you think Dorothy relates to this princess? What do you think Dorothy sees in this figurine? What does this say about Dorothy and how she sees herself?
This section contains 1,548 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)