|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Toto is Dorothy's _________.
2. What jumps out at the Scarecrow and sends the Scarecrow flying?
3. Where does the yellow brick road lead Dorothy and the Scarecrow?
4. When was Scarecrow made?
5. Who helps the victim in #75?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Dorothy's constant companion and friend?
2. When the Scarecrow asks the advice of a soldier about what they should do to help Dorothy, what does the soldier suggest?
3. What would the Tin Woodman like to receive from the Wizard?
4. Which character feels right at home with the moss and the trees?
5. What is the method of capturing the travelers that works for the Wicked Witch of the West?
6. Why can't the winged monkeys help Dorothy get back to Kansas?
7. What does the Scarecrow threaten to do if the Wizard will not see them?
8. Because of the decision in #27, what happens to the Tin Woodman?
9. What is the discouraging news the travelers learn when they enter the land of green?
10. What does the curse do to the Tin Woodman?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Scarecrow doesn't seem to offer a lot of help to the journey at first, as he tells Dorothy that he wants brains. So, why do you think Dorothy decided to bring the Scarecrow along? What does Dorothy think the Scarecrow has to offer? What does the Scarecrow reveal as the story progresses? How does he help? Give three examples of ways he helps the journey.
Essay Topic 2
Explain what "There's no place like home" means to Dorothy and what it means generally to you as the reader.
Essay Topic 3
If the Wizard never lets anyone see him, how do the people in the Land of Oz know he's real? What are some of the ways that the Wizard controls the perceptions of the people? Why do you think these tricks work so well?
This section contains 1,525 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)