|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Witch of the North give Dorothy to keep and to wear?
2. Where do Scarecrow and Dorothy spend the night?
3. What do the travelers hear as they journey through the forest?
4. How many rooms does the home have?
5. What does the Wizard never let anyone do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is the person Dorothy runs to when she finally gets back to Kansas?
2. When Toto, Dorothy, and the Scarecrow all hear a groan when walking through the forest, what do they discover is the source?
3. What does the curse do to the Tin Woodman?
4. What does the Scarecrow threaten to do if the Wizard will not see them?
5. When Dorothy discovers the Golden Cap, what does she do with it?
6. When Dorothy and the Scarecrow finish their stories, what happens?
7. What are the Scarecrow's new brains comprised of?
8. What is the Scarecrow's wise conclusion as they are travel all the way through the land of china?
9. What happens when the Scarecrow tries to enter the woods?
10. Who makes up the family that lives on the Kansas prairie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
If the Wizard never lets anyone see him, how do the people in the Land of Oz know he's real? What are some of the ways that the Wizard controls the perceptions of the people? Why do you think these tricks work so well?
Essay Topic 2
Explain what "There's no place like home" means to Dorothy and what it means generally to you as the reader.
Essay Topic 3
No one has told Dorothy that the silver shoes would have taken her home at any time. Why do you think this was kept a secret until the end? How did this secret benefit others? Do you think it was done intentionally to get the witch killed? Why or why not? How would the shoes have helped Dorothy in other parts of the story?
This section contains 545 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)