|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Henry accuse Tammie of the day after her brother and his friends visit?
2. Why is Henry's sex partner in Chapter 90 worried about maintaining secrecy of their encounter?
3. Why did Cecelia divorce her husband?
4. Where does Debra live?
5. What do Tammie and Henry search for as they walk the streets of New York City?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Henry's interactions with the prostitutes in Chapter 96.
2. In what way does Liza perform for Henry in Chapter 85?
3. Describe Henry's reading in Chapters 61 through 62.
4. Describe the three women that Henry meets in Chapter 87.
5. What occurs in Chapter 76, and how does Henry respond?
6. Why does Henry get irritated with Tammie in Chapters 58 and 59?
7. What does Tammie do in Chapter 67, and why does she get angry?
8. Who is Tessie, and how does she play a role in this novel?
9. What do Henry and Tammie do in Chapter 64, and how does this cause a fight?
10. Describe Henry and Mercedes' relationship.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How can "Women" be read as semi-autobiographical of Bukowski?
Essay Topic 2
Choose two characters that act as a foil to one another. In what ways do these characters serve as opposites? Are these differences indicative of good and evil?
Essay Topic 3
How would the story be different if Henry and Lydia had stayed together throughout the entire novel, despite his many affairs?
This section contains 977 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)