|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Henry sleep with in Chapter 97?
2. After Henry buys alcohol and cigarettes in Chapter 96, what does he offer a young black woman for fellatio?
3. What happens to Henry on his way home from the airport in Chapter 96?
4. Who phones Sara's house at the end of Chapter 91 looking for Henry?
5. Why does Tammie fly into a rage in Chapter 67?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Henry meet in Chapter 97, and how does he feel about her?
2. What do Henry and Tammie do in Chapter 64, and how does this cause a fight?
3. What happens when Tammie is evicted in Chapter 68?
4. Describe Henry and Mercedes' relationship.
5. Describe Henry and Sara's fight in Chapter 92.
6. What does Tammie do in Chapter 67, and why does she get angry?
7. Describe the three women that Henry meets in Chapter 87.
8. What occurs in Chapter 76, and how does Henry respond?
9. What happens on the plane to New York City?
10. Describe Henry's reading in Chapters 61 through 62.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Henry's literary career make "all of his dreams come true"?
Essay Topic 2
Which characters are present in the novel as the protagonist and the antagonist? Why are these characters labeled in this way?
Essay Topic 3
How are the different symbols (Henry's apartment, the sculpture of Henry's head, etc.) used throughout the novel to represent abstract concepts? Detail and explain how the symbols are used to describe certain abstract concepts and which concepts they describe.
This section contains 911 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)