|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who begins to visit Henry in Chapter 69?
2. Who does Henry receive a letter from in Chapter 94?
3. What does Liza do when she returns to Henry's apartment in Chapter 85?
4. What astounds Henry in Chapter 69?
5. Why do the two Germans girls leave Henry's apartment?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Cecelia feel about Henry?
2. How does Henry treat Iris during her visit?
3. What happens during Henry's first encounter with Mercedes in Chapter 69?
4. In what way does Liza perform for Henry in Chapter 85?
5. What occurs in Chapter 76, and how does Henry respond?
6. Who does Henry meet in Chapter 97, and how does he feel about her?
7. What is William Burroughs' role in the novel?
8. What happens when Tammie is evicted in Chapter 68?
9. What do Henry and Tammie do in Chapter 64, and how does this cause a fight?
10. Who is Tessie, and how does she play a role in this novel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Henry's literary career make "all of his dreams come true"?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the main themes in this novel (alcoholism, infidelity, prostitution, etc.) and detail its recurrences throughout the novel. What does it add to the novel? How does it affect the difference characters?
Essay Topic 3
In what ways does Henry treat the separate women in his life differently? Who does he treat the best? Who does he treat the worst?
This section contains 901 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)