|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many women does Henry meet at his reading in a local club in Chapter 87?
2. What is Henry worried about in Chapters 58 through 60?
3. Who is fairly judgmental in Chapter 96?
4. Where does Liza sleep her first night in Los Angeles?
5. Why does Tammie fly into a rage in Chapter 67?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Henry treat Iris during her visit?
2. What do Henry and Tammie do in Chapter 64, and how does this cause a fight?
3. Describe the three women that Henry meets in Chapter 87.
4. What is Henry's predicament concerning Thanksgiving, and how does he solve his dilemma?
5. Why does Henry get irritated with Tammie in Chapters 58 and 59?
6. What is William Burroughs' role in the novel?
7. What does Henry learn about Dee Dee Bronson in Chapter 88?
8. Describe Henry's reading in Chapters 61 through 62.
9. What happens on the plane to New York City?
10. Who is Tessie, and how does she play a role in this novel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the first person point-of-view enhance and inhibit the story? How would the novel be different if a different point of view were used?
Essay Topic 2
Henry Chinaski is the protagonist or hero of "Women". Analyze his actions to describe how he fits this archetype and how he varies from the traditional archetypal hero. How else can Henry be viewed?
Essay Topic 3
How is foreshadowing used in "Women"? Choose one major instance of foreshadowing and follow it through the book, finishing with how the event is fulfilled.
This section contains 1,043 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)