|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Henry sleep with in Chapter 97?
2. What does Debra buy in Chapter 90?
3. Whose literary accomplishments is Henry impressed with in Chapter 74?
4. What does Henry do right before his reading in Chapter 62?
5. Who does Henry receive a letter from in Chapter 94?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Henry's reading in Chapters 61 through 62.
2. What happens during Henry's first encounter with Mercedes in Chapter 69?
3. Describe Henry's interactions with the prostitutes in Chapter 96.
4. What causes the demise of Henry's relationship with Liza?
5. What does Henry learn about Dee Dee Bronson in Chapter 88?
6. What does Tammie do in Chapter 67, and why does she get angry?
7. How do Henry and Liza Weston interact?
8. Who does Henry meet in Chapter 97, and how does he feel about her?
9. Describe the three women that Henry meets in Chapter 87.
10. Where does Henry go in Chapter 93, who does he meet, and what does he do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How would the story be different if Henry and Lydia had stayed together throughout the entire novel, despite his many affairs?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the main themes in this novel (alcoholism, infidelity, prostitution, etc.) and detail its recurrences throughout the novel. What does it add to the novel? How does it affect the difference characters?
Essay Topic 3
How does Henry change throughout the novel? Detail the changes he makes and the reasons behind those changes. What does the way that Henry views and treats women say about his character? How does this change throughout the novel?
This section contains 1,022 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)