|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Henry accuse Tammie of the day after her brother and his friends visit?
2. What astounds Henry in Chapter 69?
3. Why does Cecelia rise early in Chapter 81?
4. Who does Henry have sex with after his reading in Chapter 93?
5. Who does Henry telephone at the beginning of Chapter 91?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens during Henry's first encounter with Mercedes in Chapter 69?
2. Who does Henry visit in Chapter 91, and what happens?
3. Who visits Henry in Chapter 86, what do they do, and why do they eventually leave Henry's apartment?
4. Who is Tessie, and how does she play a role in this novel?
5. What happens when Tammie is evicted in Chapter 68?
6. How do Henry and Liza Weston interact?
7. What occurs in Chapter 76, and how does Henry respond?
8. What does Henry learn about Dee Dee Bronson in Chapter 88?
9. How does Henry treat Iris during her visit?
10. What do Henry and Tammie do in Chapter 64, and how does this cause a fight?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is each setting in "Women" significant? What does each setting have in common? How is each setting different?
Essay Topic 2
How can "Women" be read as semi-autobiographical of Bukowski?
Essay Topic 3
Henry Chinaski is the protagonist or hero of "Women". Analyze his actions to describe how he fits this archetype and how he varies from the traditional archetypal hero. How else can Henry be viewed?
This section contains 978 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)