|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Henry's visitor do almost immediately upon arrival at his apartment in Chapter 35?
2. Where is Henry's next reading?
3. What does Lydia pay close attention to when she and Henry go to the beach in Chapter 5?
4. Why is Henry unable to perform sexually in Chapter 8?
5. What excuse does Henry use to continue sleeping with Nicole in Chapter 23?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Henry do while he waits to pick Iris up from the airport in Chapter 94?
2. What causes the demise of Henry's relationship with Liza?
3. What happens during Henry's first encounter with Mercedes in Chapter 69?
4. Who does Henry meet in Chapter 97, and how does he feel about her?
5. What happens at the party in Chapter 4?
6. How does Henry injure himself in Chapter 31, and how does he react?
7. How does Henry's interactions with other women upset Sarah during Christmas?
8. What is Valerie's role in Chapter 9?
9. Describe Henry's reading in Chapters 61 through 62.
10. Who visits Henry in Chapter 86, what do they do, and why do they eventually leave Henry's apartment?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Henry and Bobby's friendship affect the story?
Essay Topic 2
How does Henry change throughout the novel? Detail the changes he makes and the reasons behind those changes. What does the way that Henry views and treats women say about his character? How does this change throughout the novel?
Essay Topic 3
How does Henry's literary career make "all of his dreams come true"?
This section contains 1,371 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)