|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Henry stay with Joanna?
2. What does Henry's visitor do almost immediately upon arrival at his apartment in Chapter 35?
3. Who attempts to commit suicide when their lover decides to discontinue their relationship in Chapter 19?
4. Who interrupts the first time that Henry and Lydia attempt to sleep together?
5. Where does Henry go after the car crash in Chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Lydia call Henry in Chapter 45?
2. Describe Lydia Vance as Henry sees her in Chapter 1.
3. What happens when Lydia's sister visits in Chapter 22, and why does this cause a fight between Henry and Lydia?
4. What does Henry do at the college in Chapter 7?
5. What happens while Henry is in Arkansas in Chapter 8?
6. Where does Henry go in Chapter 30, and what happens there?
7. Describe Lilly.
8. How do Nicole and Henry view each other in Chapter 21?
9. How does Henry injure himself in Chapter 31, and how does he react?
10. How does Tammie react to Henry's return to Los Angeles in Chapter 57?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose two characters that act as a foil to one another. In what ways do these characters serve as opposites? Are these differences indicative of good and evil?
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of sex in this novel? What events are driven by sex? How are characters viewed based on their sexual abilities and sexual attractiveness?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast David and William Keesing.
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)