|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who arrives as Henry returns to his apartment with Bobby's wife?
2. Who does Henry call after Lydia leaves him in Chapter 16?
3. Where is Henry's first stop in Chapter 7?
4. Why does Henry agree to Tammie's request after his return from Galveston?
5. When Lydia calls to tell Henry about her own affair, what does Henry want to do in Chapter 19?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Henry tell Tammie in Chapter 57, how does she respond, and how is the issue resolved?
2. How does Tammie react to Henry's return to Los Angeles in Chapter 57?
3. According to Chapters 36 through 38, how do Henry and Laura feel about each other?
4. What happens while Henry is in Arkansas in Chapter 8?
5. What does Henry do in Chapter 33, and how does Laura react in Chapter 34?
6. Where does Henry go in Chapter 54, and why?
7. Where do Henry and Lydia go in Chapter 5, and what happens?
8. Where does Henry go in Chapter 30, and what happens there?
9. Describe Lydia Vance as Henry sees her in Chapter 1.
10. Describe Henry's encounter in Chapter 10.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the first person point-of-view enhance and inhibit the story? How would the novel be different if a different point of view were used?
Essay Topic 2
How are the different symbols (Henry's apartment, the sculpture of Henry's head, etc.) used throughout the novel to represent abstract concepts? Detail and explain how the symbols are used to describe certain abstract concepts and which concepts they describe.
Essay Topic 3
How does Henry's literary career make "all of his dreams come true"?
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)