|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Henry go after the car crash in Chapter 7?
2. With whom does Tammie begin an overt sexual flirtation with in Chapters 49 through 51?
3. What do Henry and Lydia fight about after Lydia introduces her sister to Henry's friend?
4. Who arrives as Henry returns to his apartment with Bobby's wife?
5. What position does Henry hold at a small, local magazine?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where do Henry and Lydia go in Chapter 5, and what happens?
2. What does Lydia do in Chapter 46, and how does Henry react?
3. Describe Lydia Vance as Henry sees her in Chapter 1.
4. Where does Henry go in Chapter 54, and why?
5. Describe Lilly.
6. Describe Arlene and Tammie.
7. How do Nicole and Henry view each other in Chapter 21?
8. What happens at the party in Chapter 4?
9. Describe Henry's encounter in Chapter 10.
10. What does Henry tell Tammie in Chapter 57, how does she respond, and how is the issue resolved?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How are the different symbols (Henry's apartment, the sculpture of Henry's head, etc.) used throughout the novel to represent abstract concepts? Detail and explain how the symbols are used to describe certain abstract concepts and which concepts they describe.
Essay Topic 2
How does Henry's literary career make "all of his dreams come true"?
Essay Topic 3
How do the minor characters in the novel affect the plot? How would the novel be different if one or more of these characters were removed?
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)