|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Henry help Lydia obtain a unit in his apartment complex?
2. How does Henry meet Nicole?
3. Who does Henry arrange to visit at the end of Chapter 53?
4. Who does Henry call after Lydia leaves him in Chapter 16?
5. What does Henry accuse Lydia of being before Mindy arrives?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens while Henry is in Arkansas in Chapter 8?
2. What does Lydia do in Chapter 46, and how does Henry react?
3. What happens at the party in Chapter 4?
4. Where do Henry and Lydia go in Chapter 5, and what happens?
5. How do Nicole and Henry view each other in Chapter 21?
6. Describe Arlene and Tammie.
7. What does Henry do in Chapter 33, and how does Laura react in Chapter 34?
8. What does Henry say in Chapter 3 that insults Lydia, and how does she respond?
9. What happens when Lydia's sister visits in Chapter 22, and why does this cause a fight between Henry and Lydia?
10. Who is Mindy, and how does Henry meet her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How do the minor characters in the novel affect the plot? How would the novel be different if one or more of these characters were removed?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the main themes in this novel (alcoholism, infidelity, prostitution, etc.) and detail its recurrences throughout the novel. What does it add to the novel? How does it affect the difference characters?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast David and William Keesing.
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)