|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Henry's next reading?
2. What do Henry and Lydia fight about after Lydia introduces her sister to Henry's friend?
3. Who begins to write Henry from New York in Chapter 24?
4. How does Henry immediately feel about Lydia Vance?
5. Where is Henry taken on vacation by his new lover in Chapter 19?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Arlene and Tammie.
2. Describe Lydia Vance as Henry sees her in Chapter 1.
3. What does Henry say in Chapter 3 that insults Lydia, and how does she respond?
4. Describe Lilly.
5. Why do Henry and Lydia fight in Chapter 25, and what is their fight about?
6. What happens between Henry and Dee Dee Bronson in Chapters 17 through 20?
7. What happens at the party in Chapter 4?
8. What does Henry do at the college in Chapter 7?
9. Describe Henry's encounter in Chapter 10.
10. What happens when Lydia's sister visits in Chapter 22, and why does this cause a fight between Henry and Lydia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the main themes in this novel (alcoholism, infidelity, prostitution, etc.) and detail its recurrences throughout the novel. What does it add to the novel? How does it affect the difference characters?
Essay Topic 2
Which characters are present in the novel as the protagonist and the antagonist? Why are these characters labeled in this way?
Essay Topic 3
How does Henry and Bobby's friendship affect the story?
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)