|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lydia begin to sculpt in clay several days after meeting Henry?
2. What does Henry try to do the night after Laura leaves?
3. What does Lydia smash when she fights with Henry in his apartment after his affair in Chapter 12?
4. What does Henry do in the evening during his visit in Chapter 56?
5. What does Lydia leave for Henry when she moves out of his apartment complex?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Henry and Lydia fight in Chapter 25, and what is their fight about?
2. What happens at the party in Chapter 4?
3. What does Henry do at the college in Chapter 7?
4. What does Henry say in Chapter 3 that insults Lydia, and how does she respond?
5. How does Henry injure himself in Chapter 31, and how does he react?
6. What happens when Lydia's sister visits in Chapter 22, and why does this cause a fight between Henry and Lydia?
7. Describe Henry's interactions with Joanna Dover.
8. Why do Henry and Lydia fight in Chapters 11 through 15?
9. Describe Lilly.
10. What does Lydia do in Chapter 46, and how does Henry react?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does social class play in "Women"? What different classes are represented and by which characters?
Essay Topic 2
Investigate "Women" as a comic novel. How does it adhere to and differ from the typical comic novel? What changes could be made to mark it more clearly as comic fiction? What changes could be made to prevent critics from classifying the novel as comic fiction?
Essay Topic 3
Choose two characters that act as a foil to one another. In what ways do these characters serve as opposites? Are these differences indicative of good and evil?
This section contains 870 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)