|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Lydia find out about Henry's affair with Nicole?
2. What does Tammie offer to sell Henry for cash the first day that she meets him?
3. What does Tammie beg to do after Henry returns from Galveston?
4. What does Lydia do when she finds Mindy in Henry's apartment?
5. Who does Lydia tell Henry that she cheated on him with in Chapter 15?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Henry do in Chapter 33, and how does Laura react in Chapter 34?
2. Who is William Keesing?
3. What does Henry do on New Years Eve?
4. What does Henry do at the college in Chapter 7?
5. Where does Henry go in Chapter 30, and what happens there?
6. What happens when Lydia's sister visits in Chapter 22, and why does this cause a fight between Henry and Lydia?
7. What does Henry say in Chapter 3 that insults Lydia, and how does she respond?
8. What causes the demise of Henry's relationship with Liza?
9. Who is Tessie, and how does she play a role in this novel?
10. How does Cecelia feel about Henry?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which characters are present in the novel as the protagonist and the antagonist? Why are these characters labeled in this way?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast David and William Keesing.
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the main themes in this novel (alcoholism, infidelity, prostitution, etc.) and detail its recurrences throughout the novel. What does it add to the novel? How does it affect the difference characters?
This section contains 1,405 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)