|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who picks Henry up from the airport when he returns to Los Angeles in Chapter 32?
2. What does Lydia pay close attention to when she and Henry go to the beach in Chapter 5?
3. What does Henry do on the first night of his visit in Chapter 54?
4. What does Henry try to do the night after Laura leaves?
5. How does Lydia react to the other men at the magazine's collation party in Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Henry do in Chapter 33, and how does Laura react in Chapter 34?
2. Describe Henry's encounter in Chapter 10.
3. Where does Henry go in Chapter 54, and why?
4. What does Henry do at the college in Chapter 7?
5. Describe Lydia Vance as Henry sees her in Chapter 1.
6. Where does Henry go in Chapter 30, and what happens there?
7. What happens while Henry is in Arkansas in Chapter 8?
8. How does Tammie react to Henry's return to Los Angeles in Chapter 57?
9. What does Henry tell Tammie in Chapter 57, how does she respond, and how is the issue resolved?
10. What does Lydia do in Chapter 46, and how does Henry react?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the main themes in this novel (alcoholism, infidelity, prostitution, etc.) and detail its recurrences throughout the novel. What does it add to the novel? How does it affect the difference characters?
Essay Topic 2
How does the first person point-of-view enhance and inhibit the story? How would the novel be different if a different point of view were used?
Essay Topic 3
Which characters are present in the novel as the protagonist and the antagonist? Why are these characters labeled in this way?
This section contains 829 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)