|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Henry arrange to visit at the end of Chapter 53?
2. Who picks Henry up from the airport in the beginning of Chapter 54?
3. When the police arrive after Lydia destroys Henry's property, what does Henry refuse to do?
4. Who does Henry call after Lydia leaves him in Chapter 16?
5. What do Henry and Lydia fight about after Lydia introduces her sister to Henry's friend?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Henry visit in Chapter 91, and what happens?
2. Describe Henry's interactions with Joanna Dover.
3. How does Henry show that he has changed at the end of the novel?
4. Who is William Keesing?
5. When Tanya plans to visit Henry for sex, what does Henry decide is the "moral course"?
6. What does Henry do while he waits to pick Iris up from the airport in Chapter 94?
7. What does Henry do on New Years Eve?
8. Where does Henry go in Chapter 7, why, and what happens on his way there?
9. How does Henry injure himself in Chapter 31, and how does he react?
10. Where do Henry and Lydia go in Chapter 5, and what happens?
Essay Topic 1
How do the minor characters in the novel affect the plot? How would the novel be different if one or more of these characters were removed?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast David and William Keesing.
Essay Topic 3
How are the different symbols (Henry's apartment, the sculpture of Henry's head, etc.) used throughout the novel to represent abstract concepts? Detail and explain how the symbols are used to describe certain abstract concepts and which concepts they describe.
This section contains 1,269 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)