|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Henry begin to fly around the United States in Chapter 7?
2. Who does Henry call after Lydia leaves him in Chapter 16?
3. Who attempts to commit suicide when their lover decides to discontinue their relationship in Chapter 19?
4. What do Henry and Joanna do in the morning when he visits her?
5. In Chapter 8, why does Henry's sponsor say that Henry can have his pick of any girl in the crowd?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Tammie react to Henry's return to Los Angeles in Chapter 57?
2. What happens at the party in Chapter 4?
3. What happens while Henry is in Arkansas in Chapter 8?
4. What does Lydia do in Chapter 46, and how does Henry react?
5. How do Nicole and Henry view each other in Chapter 21?
6. Why does Lydia call Henry in Chapter 45?
7. Where do Henry and Lydia go in Chapter 5, and what happens?
8. Describe Arlene and Tammie.
9. How does Henry injure himself in Chapter 31, and how does he react?
10. Describe Henry's interactions with Joanna Dover.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the main themes in this novel (alcoholism, infidelity, prostitution, etc.) and detail its recurrences throughout the novel. What does it add to the novel? How does it affect the difference characters?
Essay Topic 2
How does Henry and Bobby's friendship affect the story?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Lydia and Sara. How are their relationships with Henry similar and different?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)