|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Henry feel the night after Laura leaves?
2. What does Henry try to do the night after Laura leaves?
(d) Sleep with Valerie.
3. What does Henry accuse Lydia of being before Mindy arrives?
(c) Stupid and ugly.
(d) Clingy and needy.
4. Where is Henry's next reading?
(a) Houston, Texas.
(b) New York City, New York.
(c) Vancouver, Canada.
(d) Chicago, Illinois.
5. When does Henry visit Nicole in Chapter 21?
(a) On Christmas Day.
(b) The night before his marriage to Lydia.
(c) On Thanksgiving.
(d) During a lull in his relationship with Lydia.
6. Who are Arlene and Tammie?
(a) Pornographic film producers.
(b) Lydia's sisters.
(c) Editors for Henry's new book.
(d) The sisters who want to meet Henry.
7. What causes the car crash in Chapter 7?
(a) Bad driving.
(b) There is no car crash.
(c) Road ice.
(d) A drunk driver.
8. How does Tammie react to Henry's absence in Chapter 57?
(a) She is angry that he left without telling her.
(b) She is gone when Henry returns to Los Angeles.
(c) She misses him a lot.
(d) She does not seem to notice that he has been gone.
9. Why does Henry start a fight with Lydia right before his new-found friend arrives from New York?
(a) To decide who will pick Henry's friend up from the airport.
(b) They never fight.
(c) To avoid entanglement.
(d) Because she refuses to have sex with him.
10. What do Henry and Joanna do in the morning when he visits her?
(a) Go out for breakfast.
(b) Sleep together, use drugs, and drink.
(c) Go to several poetry readings.
(d) Fight with each other.
11. Who does Henry select to leave with from the crowd in Chapter 8?
12. What does Henry's visitor think about his life after a few days in Chapter 38?
(a) It is frightening and worrisome.
(b) It is superficial and gawdy.
(c) It is interesting and fun.
(d) It is tawdry, unappealing, and insufficient.
13. What substance is Henry addicted to?
14. What does Henry's visitor do almost immediately upon arrival at his apartment in Chapter 35?
(a) Take a shower.
(b) Climb into Henry's bed.
(c) Start drinking.
(d) Clean the apartment.
15. What is the name of the woman that Henry sleeps with after his reading in Chapter 31?
(a) Joanna Dover.
(b) Laura Stanley.
(c) Lydia Vance.
(d) Dee Dee Bronson.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who attempts to commit suicide when their lover decides to discontinue their relationship in Chapter 19?
2. Who does Henry call after Lydia leaves him in Chapter 16?
3. What does Henry demand when he knocks on the dormitory doors in Chapter 7?
4. Why does Henry agree to Tammie's request after his return from Galveston?
5. How does Lydia find out about Henry's affair with Nicole?
This section contains 497 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)