Chapters 1 through 6
* Henry Chinaski is a fifty year old, alcoholic, semi-successful writer who has not had sex for four years when he meets Lydia Vance, to whom he immediately becomes sexually attracted, at his first poetry reading.
* As Henry and Lydia's relationship progresses to the physical realm, Lydia starts sculpting Henry's head.
* Henry and Lydia attend social gatherings where Lydia flirts with other men. Nevertheless, their sexual relationship continues, and they begin to argue.
Chapters 7 and 8
* Henry flies off to perform several readings around the United States. His first stop is in Kansas City where he is picked up from the airport by a man named Frenchy who crashes the car.
* The pair hitch a ride to the college where Henry gets drunk and knocks on all of the girls' locked doors, demanding sexual gratification.
* The next day, Henry awakens disoriented, calls Lydia, and flies to Arkansas where...
This section contains 2,792 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)