|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The arrangement that the man and the woman make after she finds her skin reflect a/an ____________ assessment of the situation.
2. Without other companionship, the lonely man is even more keen to find a __________, so he tries to be with the woman.
3. Estes introduces the idea of projective _________________, a psychotherapy term about the receptiveness of a patient to stories.
4. What will happen after the time period that the man and the woman will live together? She can ____________.
5. Who is the daughter of the goddess, the one who is swept away to the Underworld and hidden away?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some healthy ways to manage experience and feelings associated with events?
2. Why did the husband begin to sleep outside after he came home from war?
3. What does the woman do when she finds the wolf in the trap that has been set by hunters in the area?
4. What is the original deal that the man and the special women strike up in order to be together?
5. Why was Demeter despondent in the story of herself and her daughter?
6. What is the relationship between the man and the woman in the story called the Weeping Woman?
7. What does the father do in order to gain material wealth in his life, though it is an accident?
8. What does the wolf's eyelash do for the woman when she carries it around with her?
9. What does Estes suggest to the reader as being a helpful way to relieve the shame of holding a secret?
10. What did the older woman healer do with the hair once the wife returned from her journey with it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author points out that every woman has soul skin or 'seal skin' that they must learn to wear and to go back to.
Part 1: Do you agree that everyone has a true self? Why or why not?
Part 2: How do you think living as your true self might change the way you live today?
Part 3: Why do you think it's important that you try to find your true self?
Essay Topic 2
Baubo entertains Demeter so that she can deal with the loss of her daughter Persephone and begin to seek out her daughter again.
Part 1: Do you think that humor is necessary in order to survive in life? Why or why not?
Part 2: How do you use humor in your life? Do you use it to help you through tough times? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why do you think Demeter responds so favorably to the use of humor by Baubo?
Essay Topic 3
The author points out that women experience pain from having had bad experiences and this is what causes a woman to strive to change.
Part 1: Do you think pain always leads to a change in a person? Why or why not?
Part 2: Do you think a person needs to suffer in order to learn certain lessons? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you feel that in your life you've had to feel pain in order to grow or to change into a better person? Why or why not?
This section contains 773 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)