|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The reason this person or persons began to treat the woman badly after the suicide of her husband is that they ______________.
2. The wife began to find herself bringing the husband _____________ when he decided to start sleeping outside.
3. What was the woman instructed to bring back from one wild animal, male or female, in order to help her husband?
4. A young couple was married before the husband had to go _______________.
5. Who accidentally sells his/her daughter to the Devil in order to reap financial gain?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to the world when Demeter's depression became destructive?
2. What is the image of Baubo in the story that is chosen for the reader in this chapter?
3. How does this image of Baubo relate to the world in terms of speaking and seeing the world?
4. What did the older woman healer do with the hair once the wife returned from her journey with it?
5. What was the problem when the husband went off to war and then did not come back for a few years?
6. Why was Demeter despondent in the story of herself and her daughter?
7. Why did the husband begin to sleep outside after he came home from war?
8. What does Estes mean by the idea of a double-bind when it comes to secrets kept by women?
9. What does the author explain the seal skin is in the context of this story and in the context of women as a whole?
10. What does the father do in order to gain material wealth in his life, though it is an accident?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
By introducing herself, the author seems to be trying to connect with the reader in the first few pages of this book.
Part 1: Do you think it's important for an author to talk about their qualifications before a book begins? Why or why not?
Part 2: Is it easier to trust an author when they have a lot of qualifications? Why or why not?
Part 3: How might the book have changed if the author had not included their biographical information?
Essay Topic 2
The sister realizes that something is different with Bluebeard and she calls out for help.
Part 1: Do you think intuition is something which can protect you? Why or why not?
Part 2: How do you think you can become better at listening to your intuition?
Part 3: Do you think you should always listen to your intuition? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The author points out that women experience pain from having had bad experiences and this is what causes a woman to strive to change.
Part 1: Do you think pain always leads to a change in a person? Why or why not?
Part 2: Do you think a person needs to suffer in order to learn certain lessons? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you feel that in your life you've had to feel pain in order to grow or to change into a better person? Why or why not?
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)