|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens during the course of the partnership between the man and the woman?
2. The girl is not __________ to the Devil at all, which helps to keep her safe and sound.
3. What is the significance of the skin that the person ends up finding for the woman? It is her ________.
4. In another story, the woman ends up killing _______________ in order to stop the situation from ending the way it looked like it was ending.
5. What kind of humor did Baubo use in order to pick up the spirits of the depressed goddess?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the relationship between the man and the woman in the story called the Weeping Woman?
2. What are some healthy ways to manage experience and feelings associated with events?
3. What happened to the world when Demeter's depression became destructive?
4. What did the older woman healer do with the hair once the wife returned from her journey with it?
5. Why was Demeter despondent in the story of herself and her daughter?
6. What are some of the lessons that women can learn from animals in their life?
7. What does the man inform the woman of as they are having troubles with each other?
8. What was the quest the wife was sent on by the older woman healer in the town, upon hearing of the woman's plight?
9. How does this image of Baubo relate to the world in terms of speaking and seeing the world?
10. How does the woman respond to the actions of her partner when she is told what is to happen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The idea of the heroine's journey is one which plays out again and again in this manuscript, showing the reader that one struggles in order to win.
Part 1: Why do you think that the journey story seems to be the same again and again?
Part 2: How do you think a person might be changed after enduring a heroine's journey?
Part 3: Do you think that your life is a heroine's or hero's journey? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The tale of the beautiful swan is one in which the swan begins to find their 'home' when they go away from where they've grown up.
Part 1: Why do you think it's a good idea to seek out the ones who already understand you?
Part 2: Do you think there's merit in being with others who are not like you? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think the swan missed a lesson in not staying with those who mocked it? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
In many stories, there is the emergence of a powerful guide, someone who can help the main character begin to know themselves better and to be stronger.
Part 1: Why do you think so many stories include some sort of guide for the main figure?
Part 2: Do you think it's always necessary to have a guide in one's life in order to move forward? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think Vasilisa would have done if she had not had the doll at her side?
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)