|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The man persuades the woman to try living with him for ___________ years without entrapping her violently.
2. The idea is that shame and secrets, like ____________, will burn up on contact with the light of day.
3. Estes says that mentally and emotionally, people may suffer from areas where they lack _____________.
4. Many people have subconsciously wondered if they were going to be __________ when a person sneaks up on them.
5. What happens during the course of the partnership between the man and the woman?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the woman do when she finds the wolf in the trap that has been set by hunters in the area?
2. What didn't the parents of the dead husband want to admit to themselves, so they were cruel to the widow?
3. What does the man inform the woman of as they are having troubles with each other?
4. What does the author explain the seal skin is in the context of this story and in the context of women as a whole?
5. What does Estes suggest to the reader as being a helpful way to relieve the shame of holding a secret?
6. Why did the husband begin to sleep outside after he came home from war?
7. What is so intimidating or anxiety provoking about the shadowing of wolves?
8. What is different about the woman who is portrayed in the story at the start of this section?
9. How does the woman respond to the actions of her partner when she is told what is to happen?
10. What is happening to the woman over the course of the time she spends with the man?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The tale of the beautiful swan is one in which the swan begins to find their 'home' when they go away from where they've grown up.
Part 1: Why do you think it's a good idea to seek out the ones who already understand you?
Part 2: Do you think there's merit in being with others who are not like you? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think the swan missed a lesson in not staying with those who mocked it? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
In many stories, there is the emergence of a powerful guide, someone who can help the main character begin to know themselves better and to be stronger.
Part 1: Why do you think so many stories include some sort of guide for the main figure?
Part 2: Do you think it's always necessary to have a guide in one's life in order to move forward? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think Vasilisa would have done if she had not had the doll at her side?
Essay Topic 3
The author points out that women experience pain from having had bad experiences and this is what causes a woman to strive to change.
Part 1: Do you think pain always leads to a change in a person? Why or why not?
Part 2: Do you think a person needs to suffer in order to learn certain lessons? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you feel that in your life you've had to feel pain in order to grow or to change into a better person? Why or why not?
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)