|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The author points out some of the ways that ____________ bodies have been under attack by society.
2. What rots away after the Skeleton Woman is killed or brutally injured, depending on the version of the story?
3. What is the strange mark that the man has in the first story that is shared in this section of the book?
4. What has the man hoped to find when he ended up finding the remains of the Skeleton Woman instead?
5. The _____________ is wild and untamed, according to the author at the beginning of this section.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the rumor that goes around about the man with the strange appearance?
2. What happens when the fisherman goes out to sea and catches the Skeleton Woman in his hook?
3. What does the author suggest to be one of the most profound changes in a female's adult life?
4. Why does the young girl receive the doll in the first story from her mother?
5. What is the quest the stepmother and sisters send the young girl off on, hoping that she will never return?
6. What does the story propose as a challenge to the man who wants to marry his twin daughters?
7. What happens to the Skeleton Woman as she is being dragged behind the boat of the fisherman?
8. What does the fisherman do when he brings the skeleton into his home and changes his attitude?
9. How does the duckling come to find out that he is actually a swan rather than being like his brothers and sisters?
10. What happened between the father of the Skeleton Woman and the women herself?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author suggests many people use relationships in order to cope with other things which have happened in their lives.
Part 1: Why do you think people use relationships to cope with their past?
Part 2: How do you think you use relationships in your own life? Why?
Part 3: Do you think it's a good idea to use a relationship to heal yourself? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The man who is strange looking convinces the sisters that if they were to stay with him, they would change their perspective of him.
Part 1: Do you think it's important to try to face down one's fears and beliefs? Why or why not?
Part 2: How do you think the sisters could have been more open to the man and to his appearance?
Part 3: Do you think you can always learn to like someone when you get to know them? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Within the stories being shared, the metaphors show the reader that those who have challenges are learning from the process more than from the challenge itself.
Part 1: Why do you think stories are used to teach people about life?
Part 2: Do you think stories are more effective for teaching others or is direct advice better to use in teaching? Why?
Part 3: How do you think the stories can change the way a person looks at life? Or can't they?
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)