|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Wild Woman in this story of the strange man and the sisters emerges through ______________ and through breaking rules.
2. An Old Woman alone can find she holds within herself incredible abilities of _________________.
3. What is the quest the girl is sent off to complete in order to hopefully perish if the stepfamily has anything to say about it?
4. Who does the young girl go off to see in order to get the item that the stepmother and step sisters have requested?
5. What does the animal learn about the love of Manawee, though it is difficult for the animal to remember?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened between the father of the Skeleton Woman and the women herself?
2. What is the overall purpose of the story of La Loba of the American Southwest as Estes explains in the first section?
3. What happens after the duckling decides to run away from his family? How is he saved?
4. How does the author define the idea of a feral woman in this chapter of the book?
5. How does the man eventually learn about the twin daughters that he wants to marry, though he cannot be near them?
6. What do the mother and the duckling both want for the duckling in its life?
7. What does the story propose as a challenge to the man who wants to marry his twin daughters?
8. What seems to be the purpose of the father's request in the story of the man, the twins, and the father?
9. What are some of the ways in which Estes believes that women's bodies have been attacked?
10. What does Estes suggest about the female body and what it might be capable of doing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In many stories, there is the emergence of a powerful guide, someone who can help the main character begin to know themselves better and to be stronger.
Part 1: Why do you think so many stories include some sort of guide for the main figure?
Part 2: Do you think it's always necessary to have a guide in one's life in order to move forward? Why or why not?
Part 3: How do you think Vasilisa would have done if she had not had the doll at her side?
Essay Topic 2
The concept of transformation is one that seems to be addressed frequently in the stories the author has to share.
Part 1: Why do you think the idea of transformation is so important in this book?
Part 2: Do you think that everyone goes through a period of transformation in their lives? Why or why not?
Part 3: What might happen if a person was never to transform in their lives?
Essay Topic 3
The idea of the heroine's journey is one which plays out again and again in this manuscript, showing the reader that one struggles in order to win.
Part 1: Why do you think that the journey story seems to be the same again and again?
Part 2: How do you think a person might be changed after enduring a heroine's journey?
Part 3: Do you think that your life is a heroine's or hero's journey? Why or why not?
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)