|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The author looks into how the wild woman _____________ can serve a healing function for women who have been oppressed.
2. What happens after the mother gives up on the duckling after her own struggles on his behalf?
3. What are the rabbis shown when they are in the Seventh Heaven, as led by the angel?
4. Natural, healthy self love and confidence are a part of the innate _____________ of females, according to the author.
5. The Wild Woman idea is one that is a ____________ view of women, rather than the weak and oppressed view.
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does the girl cry out to when she senses she needs protection from her new husband?
2. What happens when the fisherman goes out to sea and catches the Skeleton Woman in his hook?
3. What happened between the father of the Skeleton Woman and the women herself?
4. How does the man eventually learn about the twin daughters that he wants to marry, though he cannot be near them?
5. What happens after the duckling decides to run away from his family? How is he saved?
6. How does the author define the idea of a feral woman in this chapter of the book?
7. What does the fisherman do when he brings the skeleton into his home and changes his attitude?
8. What seems to be the purpose of the father's request in the story of the man, the twins, and the father?
9. What do the mother and the duckling both want for the duckling in its life?
10. What are some of the ways in which Estes believes that women's bodies have been attacked?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author speaks of a deep healing when it comes to the woman who seeks to rediscover herself.
Part 1: Do you think that everyone is in need of healing on some level? Why or why not?
Part 2: How do you think a woman is able to reclaim herself? What steps might she need to take?
Part 3: Do you think it's possible fora woman to reclaim herself and not have the help of others? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The many challenges that Vasilisa has to encounter serve to make her stronger and to help her defeat the evil women in her life.
Part 1: Why do you think that Baba Yaga gave Vasilisa all of those challenges?
Part 2: Do you think that Baba Yaga knew Vasilisa had the doll with her? Why or why not?
Part 3: Do you think that Baba Yaga wanted to hurt Vasilisa? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The author takes on dual roles in this book, one of the therapist and one of the storyteller.
Part 1: Why do you think the author feels she needs to take on both roles in this book?
Part 2: Do you think one perspective the author uses is better than the other? Why or why not?
Part 3: Does the inclusion of two voices cause the book to be weakened in any way? Why or why not?
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)