|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens after the Skeleton Woman is destroyed by the monster in her life?
(a) She is buried in a field.
(b) She disappears.
(c) She sinks to the bottom of the body of water.
(d) She floats in the water.
2. What does Manawee have to discover in order to be able to court the woman/women that he wants to court?
(a) Her totem animal.
(b) Their true names.
(c) Their favorite colors.
(d) Her patron spirit.
3. What happens after the mother gives up on the duckling after her own struggles on his behalf?
(a) The ducking tries to drown itself.
(b) The mother is ostracized.
(c) The mother dies.
(d) The duckling runs away.
4. Who goes off to visit the woman/women instead of the man since he is pushed away by the father each time?
(a) A little dog.
(b) A bird.
(c) The wolf.
(d) A mouse.
5. A girl in the first story is financially poor, though she considers herself __________ since she is resourceful and ignorant of her situation.
(d) A queen.
Short Answer Questions
1. A true name is often hidden because knowledge of it was seen as giving great ______________ to those who knew one's true name.
2. A true name is something that is often used in families in association with _______________.
3. The ____________ is the one who destroyed the original shoes of the girl, though she was also opposed to the new ones.
4. Taoists call women the ____________ through which all human life emerges, whether they are male or female.
5. The author is drawn to the idea of the Wild Woman because of the way she has been draw to her favorite animal, the ___________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What seems to be the purpose of the father's request in the story of the man, the twins, and the father?
2. What do the mother and the duckling both want for the duckling in its life?
3. How does the author define the idea of a feral woman in this chapter of the book?
4. What happens when the fisherman goes out to sea and catches the Skeleton Woman in his hook?
5. What is the rumor that goes around about the man with the strange appearance?
6. What is wrong with the shoes that the girl receives later on in the story?
7. What does Estes suggest about the female body and what it might be capable of doing?
8. How does the duckling come to find out that he is actually a swan rather than being like his brothers and sisters?
9. What does Estes say about her relationship with the Wild Woman archetype? How was she drawn to the archetype?
10. What is the quest the stepmother and sisters send the young girl off on, hoping that she will never return?
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)