|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Estes talks to the readers about rage and about having ________ with it in order to better understand it.
2. The author encourages people to seek out ______________ for the relief of the shame of holding onto a secret.
3. A __________ finds a wolf trapped in a trap, apparently being of human origin and able to communicate.
4. Through what does Baubo see the world, as described in this story?
5. The ________, or some other symptom, will appear soon or later, sending the woman a message that she needs to return home.
6. The main story in this section is about a man who is ______________ and then he finds a woman.
(a) A soldier.
(b) Shopping at the market.
(c) A demon.
7. Over time the bear was able to feel __________ enough to enjoy the food offerings from the woman.
8. What is one of the words which could be used to describe Baubo, as she is portrayed in this story?
9. Many people have subconsciously wondered if they were going to be __________ when a person sneaks up on them.
10. For women, many painfully kept secrets seem to include some sort of ____________, often someone did something that has a lot of shame linked to it.
(a) Double bind.
(c) Illegal action.
11. What does La Lllorona mean when it is roughly translated into English?
(a) Weeping Woman.
(b) Deep Woman.
(c) Skeleton Woman.
(d) Dying Woman.
12. Women need to acknowledge and appreciate what the author calls the _____________ of women.
13. Where does the woman end up looking for the souls of her children, as directed by the saint?
14. From what culture is the story of La Llorona from as told by the author in this section of the book?
15. The power of Demeter's ___________ released her from the depression that had started to take over.
Short Answer Questions
1. Many of life's travails, Estes says, follow the pattern of ____________, as life imitates art and art imitates life.
2. Who is the mother goddess who becomes despondent over the loss of her daughter to the Underworld god?
3. The woman asks the wolf, "If I free you, will you ________ me?" And the wolf promises that it will not.
4. The author explores the behavior of ____________ and shows the readers a variety of its functions.
5. What happened as Demeter shouted out and her depression become greater and greater?
This section contains 446 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)