|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Living as a white woman, Harriet would have the protection of what?
2. Who orders Burwell to keep the brandy from Bankhead?
3. In the story, Harriet recalls that Sally told her once about ___________, who rode up the mountain while Jefferson stayed and ate his breakfast.
4. What does the homemade concoction that Sally gives Harriet to cure her ills cause Harriet to do in The Middle of May 1820?
5. Harriet is the _______ living child of Sally.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Mammy Ursula's job on the plantation?
2. Why is it unusual that Harriet, a slave, is allowed to use Jefferson's library?
3. Why is Harriet worried about Beverly in April 20, That Same Day?
4. Why does Martha agree to tutor Harriet as she prepares to leave the plantation?
5. What example does Harriet give to show that people are not always what they seem to be in the section called April 1820?
6. What important point does Randolph give Harriet to consider during April 1820?
7. Why does Mammy Ursula think Harriet should take her freedom even if she doesn't want it?
8. At the beginning of the book, how is it shown that Jefferson is a private man?
9. How does the author hint in the December 1819 section that Sally has a special relationship with Jefferson?
10. In Mid-May 1820, That Same Night, why is Bankhead so angry with Burwell?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the use of irony in Wolf by the Ears. Give specific examples of where the author uses irony and why these situations are ironic.
Essay Topic 2
Which characters play a role in making Harriet see how important it is to take her freedom? What do they do that helps to convince her? Why are these characters successful in convincing her even when her own mother is not?
Essay Topic 3
Name and discuss three instances of foreshadowing in Wolf by the Ears. What are the events that occur and what future actions do they foreshadow?
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)