|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In his letter to Harriet, who does Randolph say may come to visit Harriet next summer?
(b) A possible fiance.
2. Who does Martha say Harriet's father is?
(b) A slave.
(c) Peter Carr.
(d) She doesn't know.
3. Why does Mammy Ursula say Washington City will be a good place for Harriet?
(a) It's a beautiful city.
(b) She has family there.
(c) There are lots of black people there.
(d) It is so big.
4. Who helps Harriet pack to leave?
(b) Mammy Ursula.
5. In July 1820, why does Harriet say she is worried about Beverly?
(a) He says he's going to kill Jefferson.
(b) He is always angry.
(c) He seems ill.
(d) He isn't educated enough to be free.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Beverly say got him his freedom papers?
2. According to Sally, in The Middle of August 1822, what is making Jefferson sad?
3. Who sends a letter to Harriet wishing her well and promising to help her if she ever needs assistance?
4. What kind of work does Harriet's fiance think he can arrange for her?
5. What job does Harriet tell Mammy she will have when she leaves?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is it so important to Harriet that Mammy Ursula and Thruston approve of her decision to leave the plantation and pass as white?
2. Why is Harriet's fiance worried that by becoming engaged to him she will be trading one master for another?
3. In The Middle of August 1822, what reason does Sally finally tell her children is the reason she left France and returned to Monticello?
4. In the section titled May 15, 1822, what decision has Beverly made that pleases Harriet?
5. What about Sally's attitude toward Beverly's decision on the subject of his freedom bothers Harriet?
6. What is Jefferson's personal conflict regarding his attitude toward Sally and her children?
7. How does Harriet explain to Beverly her belief that she is not turning her back on her family and race by passing for white?
8. What characteristic of Harriet's makes Thruston proud of her?
9. Why is it clear that Peter Carr is not Harriet's or Beverly's father?
10. What does Mammy Ursula say to Harriet that eases her feelings about Sally's apparent lack of concern at her leaving?
This section contains 663 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)