|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Harriet say is a gift not to be thrown away?
2. What does Harriet try unsuccessfully to talk Beverly into in May 15, 1822?
(a) Saying goodbye to Mammy.
(b) Taking her journal with him.
(c) Telling Jefferson he is leaving.
(d) Coming to visit her after she leaves.
3. In July 1820, why does Harriet say she is worried about Beverly?
(a) He says he's going to kill Jefferson.
(b) He isn't educated enough to be free.
(c) He is always angry.
(d) He seems ill.
4. What instrument does Martha expect Harriet to play for her guests?
5. When Beverly decides to leave the plantation, how does he leave?
(a) As a white man.
(b) Bright and early in the morning.
(c) He doesn't leave.
(d) As a free black man.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Thruston give Harriet before she leaves Monticello?
2. Who sends the letter that outlines Harriet's journey to Washington City?
3. How does Mammy say she will feel about Harriet when she's gone in May 17, 1822?
4. According to Sally, in The Middle of August 1822, what is making Jefferson sad?
5. In Early July 1820, where does Harriet find her brothers?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Jefferson's personal conflict regarding his attitude toward Sally and her children?
2. Why is Jefferson a little offended when he learns of Harriet's engagement to Thad?
3. In The Middle of August 1822, what reason does Sally finally tell her children is the reason she left France and returned to Monticello?
4. What does Beverly tell Harriet to prove to her that Jefferson will never acknowledge that they are his children?
5. What characteristic of Harriet's makes Thruston proud of her?
6. What does Mammy Ursula say to Harriet that eases her feelings about Sally's apparent lack of concern at her leaving?
7. What do Harriet and her siblings hope Sally will admit before Harriet leaves, but Sally never does?
8. What does Harriet finally realize when she considers that the other slave girls have only getting married and having babies in their futures?
9. Why doesn't Martha like Madison?
10. How does Harriet explain to Beverly her belief that she is not turning her back on her family and race by passing for white?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)