|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Harriet's fiance tell her he does not want her to give up too quickly?
(a) Her family.
(b) Life on the plantation.
(c) Her right to make choices.
(d) Her freedom.
2. According to Sally, in The Middle of August 1822, what is making Jefferson sad?
(a) Beverly and Harriet's leaving.
(b) He misses Tom.
(c) He is afraid for Harriet.
(d) He is getting old.
3. Whose name is Harriet going to take when she leaves the plantation?
(b) The daughter of her fiance's college teacher.
(c) Her fiance's mother's.
4. According to Harriet, how much food does a sheep require?
(a) Only as much as it will eat.
(b) Two buckets of grain.
(c) One bale of hay.
(d) One fifth the amount a cow does.
5. In his letter to Harriet, who does Randolph say may come to visit Harriet next summer?
(c) A possible fiance.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Harriet tell Madison and Eston all the children in their family will do when their time comes?
2. In July 1820, who does Harriet remind that it is hard to be a freed slave?
3. What do Sally's children want her to finally admit in The Middle of August 1822?
4. What is Sally sitting on in the cellar when Harriet finds her in May 15, 1822?
5. What does Jefferson give Harriet as a gift before she leaves?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mammy Ursula say to Harriet that eases her feelings about Sally's apparent lack of concern at her leaving?
2. What is Jefferson's personal conflict regarding his attitude toward Sally and her children?
3. What about Jefferson's fulfilling of his promise to Sally to free her children makes Sally sad?
4. How does Harriet explain to Beverly her belief that she is not turning her back on her family and race by passing for white?
5. Why is Harriet's fiance worried that by becoming engaged to him she will be trading one master for another?
6. Why is it so important to Harriet that Mammy Ursula and Thruston approve of her decision to leave the plantation and pass as white?
7. In the section titled May 15, 1822, what decision has Beverly made that pleases Harriet?
8. Why does Harriet's fiance say that Jefferson lies about slavery?
9. What characteristic of Harriet's makes Thruston proud of her?
10. In The Middle of August 1822, what reason does Sally finally tell her children is the reason she left France and returned to Monticello?
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)