|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In April 1820, what is Jefferson's reaction when Harriet swears she didn't look at his stuff?
(a) He finds it amusing.
(b) He calls her a liar.
(c) He invites her to look around.
(d) He is angry.
2. Who or what does Harriet feel she will be turning her back on by following Randolph's plan for her freedom?
(a) Her African heritage.
3. When Harriet was a small child, what did she ask her mother to ask God to do if he came while she was out?
(b) Make her free.
(c) Give her a puppy.
(d) Bless her family.
4. Who are the only people that speak about Tom now?
(a) Jefferson's family.
(b) Sally and Jefferson.
(c) Harriet and Beverly.
(d) The people on Mulberry Row.
5. What is the name of the slave who has been telling everyone that he is going to marry Harriet?
6. What must Harriet do within one year of being freed?
(a) Pay her master back.
(b) Leave Virginia.
(c) Have a child.
(d) Get married.
7. Whose offer to take the tea tray to Jefferson in December 1819 does Harriet refuse?
(d) Mammy Ursula.
8. In The Middle of May 1820, why do Charles Bankhead, William Thornton, Benjamin Latrobe, and Thomas Mann Randolph come to Monticello?
(a) For dinner.
(b) To trade slaves.
(c) To plan Jefferson's campaign.
(d) To play poker.
9. What is Jefferson doing when Harriet brings him a tea tray as the book begins?
(b) Visiting with a friend.
10. What is Harriet surprised to learn that Sally knows about in The Third Week of May 1820?
(a) Harriet being in her secret room.
(b) Jefferson's decision not to punish Harriet.
(c) Beverly's plan to leave.
(d) Randolph's plan for Harriet's freedom.
11. Who orders Burwell to keep the brandy from Bankhead?
12. What does Jefferson promise to show Harriet one day in the April 1820 section?
(a) His journal.
(b) His seed closet.
(c) The Farm Books.
(d) His family Bible.
13. After they argue about the dangers to Harriet in The Middle of May 1820, what does Harriet tell Thruston to do?
(a) Never speak to her again.
(b) Tell Jefferson she won't take her freedom.
(c) Marry her.
14. At the end of their discussion in April 1820, what does Harriet think of what Randolph had to say?
(a) It was all crazy talk.
(b) He was wrong.
(c) He made many good points.
(d) He doesn't understand her.
15. What one thing does Harriet want to know about Jefferson?
(a) If he is her father.
(b) If Jefferson is really keeping a Farm Book.
(c) If he will free his slaves.
(d) If he will sell his slaves.
Short Answer Questions
1. In The Middle of May 1820, what does Harriet tell Thruston she'll have whether she leaves the plantation or not?
2. Who initially orders Bankhead off of Harriet?
3. Who does Bankhead threaten to kill?
4. How has Randolph always behaved toward Harriet?
5. What does Jefferson tell Harriet he doesn't have the strength to do?
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)