|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who or what does Harriet feel she will be turning her back on by following Randolph's plan for her freedom?
(c) Her African heritage.
2. What is Bankhead looking for when Harriet comes across him in the house?
(c) A gun.
(d) A midnight snack.
3. Where does Mammy Ursula tell Harriet to go to see the clothing that is being made for her?
(a) To town.
(b) Jefferson's parlor.
(c) Sally's secret room.
(d) Mammy Ursula's cabin.
4. Where is Sally when Harriet goes to look for the secret room?
(a) In the kitchen.
(b) Jefferson's room.
(c) Mulberry Row.
(d) Visiting Mammy Ursula.
5. According to Randolph, what would it be like for Harriet to live as a free black woman?
6. Who are the only people that speak about Tom now?
(a) Harriet and Beverly.
(b) The people on Mulberry Row.
(c) Sally and Jefferson.
(d) Jefferson's family.
7. What are Sally and Harriet doing in The Third Week of May 1820 when Sally tells Harriet that Jefferson wants to see her?
(a) Overseeing the bleaching of the sheets.
(b) Mending clothing.
(c) Peeling vegetables.
(d) Shelling peas.
8. Who does Bankhead threaten to kill?
9. What does Mammy Ursula do at Monticello?
(a) Weaves baskets and watches the children.
(b) Cooks for Jefferson.
(d) Teaches the slave children to read and write.
10. The first time Jefferson sees Harriet after she is attacked by Bankhead, what is the first thing he inquires about?
(c) Her health.
(d) The attack.
11. Whom does Randolph say Harriet is just as white and educated as?
(a) Everyone else at Monticello.
12. How does Randolph plan to protect Harriet while she stays at Monticello?
(a) By arranging for her engagement.
(b) By assigning her a bodyguard.
(c) By staying at Monticello himself.
(d) By telling Jefferson she is in danger.
13. What does Harriet make Sally promise regarding the attack by Bankhead?
(a) Not to tell Jefferson.
(b) To tell Jefferson immediately.
(c) To never leave her alone again.
(d) To kill Bankhead.
14. What must Harriet do within one year of being freed?
(a) Pay her master back.
(b) Have a child.
(c) Leave Virginia.
(d) Get married.
15. What is Harriet surprised to learn that Sally knows about in The Third Week of May 1820?
(a) Jefferson's decision not to punish Harriet.
(b) Harriet being in her secret room.
(c) Randolph's plan for Harriet's freedom.
(d) Beverly's plan to leave.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Mid-May 1820, That Same Night, as Harriet wanders through the house after her argument with Thruston, where does Harriet find Bankhead?
2. Who knocks Bankhead to the floor after he attacks Harriet?
3. Why does Martha complain about her father?
4. Though he wants to marry Harriet, what would Thruston rather see her do?
5. At the beginning of the book, how many times has Harriet been allowed in her master's bedrooms?
This section contains 503 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)