|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Jefferson ask Harriet if she's having a romance with in April 1820?
2. Harriet is the _______ living child of Sally.
3. What does Bankhead try to force Harriet to do?
(a) Ask Jefferson to sell her to Bankhead.
(b) Marry him.
(c) Kiss him.
(d) Run away.
4. After the attack, what does Jefferson do to Bankhead?
(b) Hits him.
(c) Has him arrested.
(d) Banishes him from Monticello for the summer.
5. What does Randolph tell Harriet she will be a fool if she does?
(a) Runs away.
(b) Gets married.
(c) Accepts her freedom.
(d) Refuses her freedom.
6. In April 1820, after speaking with Mammy Ursula, how long is it before Harriet gets a chance to look for Sally's secret room?
(a) One week.
(b) One month.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) One day.
7. According to Mammy Ursula, why didn't Sally take her freedom when it was offered?
(a) She was frightened.
(b) Jefferson wouldn't allow it.
(c) She was never offered freedom.
(d) Sally wasn't smart enough.
8. Who seems like a nice man, but beats his wife?
9. Who or what does Harriet feel she will be turning her back on by following Randolph's plan for her freedom?
(c) Her African heritage.
10. Who discovers Harriet in the secret room?
11. What does Randolph believe should happen to all slaves?
(a) They should be taught their places.
(b) They should remain slaves.
(c) They should be freed.
(d) They should be allowed to choose where they live.
12. The first time Jefferson sees Harriet after she is attacked by Bankhead, what is the first thing he inquires about?
(a) Her health.
(d) The attack.
13. Where is the door that leads to Sally's secret room?
(a) At the foot of Jefferson's bed.
(b) In the kitchen.
(c) At the back of Sally's cottage.
(d) In the parlor.
14. When Harriet asks Jefferson if he will include Sally in his autobiography, how does Jefferson respond?
(a) He tells her he will not.
(b) He says he will.
(c) He becomes angry.
(d) He smiles sadly.
15. What is Harriet's response when Randolph asks her what she considers herself to be?
(a) Harriet Hemings.
(b) A free woman.
(c) A slave.
(d) Jefferson's daughter.
Short Answer Questions
1. What can you see through the portholes in Jefferson's room?
2. In April 1820, That Same Day, what does Mammy Ursula ask Harriet to have Beverly do?
3. After they argue about the dangers to Harriet in The Middle of May 1820, what does Harriet tell Thruston to do?
4. Who is making clothes for Harriet in preparation for her freedom?
5. Who does Martha wish would drink himself to death?
This section contains 464 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)