|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through October 1821.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Martha tell Harriet not to do?
(a) Not to love Jefferson.
(b) Not to pass as white.
(c) Not to do as her mother tells her.
(d) Not to run away.
2. What will the overseer force Harriet to do if she stays at Monticello?
(a) Marry another slave.
(b) Have sex with him.
(c) Work in the fields.
(d) Produce children.
3. What does Jefferson give Harriet in October 1821?
(a) A locket.
(b) A letter from her fiance.
(c) A new journal.
(d) A pocket watch.
4. In The Middle of May 1820, what does Harriet tell Thruston she'll have whether she leaves the plantation or not?
(b) True love.
(c) Her freedom.
(d) Acknowledgment of being Jefferson's daughter.
5. Whose advice does Martha tell Harriet to follow?
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes Martha to curb her disapproval of Harriet?
2. What does Harriet realize in June 1820 that she cannot be on her own?
3. How long are Harriet's lessons going to last?
4. Why does Martha complain about her father?
5. Though he wants to marry Harriet, what would Thruston rather see her do?
This section contains 238 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)