|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through October 1821.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the slave who has been telling everyone that he is going to marry Harriet?
2. Why does Thruston believe a white man may have impure intentions toward Harriet?
(a) She could work hard in the fields.
(b) She would have lovely children.
(c) She is very beautiful.
(d) She would be valuable if sold.
3. What does the homemade concoction that Sally gives Harriet to cure her ills cause Harriet to do in The Middle of May 1820?
(a) Giggle uncontrollably.
(b) Fall asleep.
(c) Become drunk.
4. What will the overseer force Harriet to do if she stays at Monticello?
(a) Produce children.
(b) Have sex with him.
(c) Marry another slave.
(d) Work in the fields.
5. Why is Jefferson a little offended when he learns of Harriet's engagement?
(a) She is too young.
(b) She doesn't like her fiance.
(c) He doesn't think she should marry a white man.
(d) No one told him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Martha agree to accept her father's assignment?
2. Whose advice does Martha tell Harriet to follow?
3. What reason is Harriet given for the possibility of being sold after Jefferson's death if she doesn't accept her freedom?
4. In The Middle of May 1820, what does Harriet tell Thruston she'll have whether she leaves the plantation or not?
5. What does Martha tell Harriet not to do?
This section contains 287 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)