|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Jason describe John Donne?
2. What does a technician hand Vivian when she imagines she is giving a lecture?
3. Who tells Vivian what Susie and Jason are doing?
4. Who convinces Vivian to go to her test when she imagines she is teaching?
5. What poem does Vivian quote in her final coherent lines of the play?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Donne ever understand his Salvation Anxiety? Why or why not?
2. Why does Vivian think of herself as “just the specimen jar?”
3. Why does Vivian recite the sonnet beginning “This is my playes last scene?”
4. What is Salvation Anxiety?
5. Why does Jason simplify the explanation of Vivian's kidney function?
6. What is the irony in Vivian's desire for personal contact with Jason?
7. What is the parallel between Vivian and Jason's careers?
8. How does Vivian compare a true believer with the speaker of the sonnet?
9. Why does Vivian tell the audience that “now is the time for kindness?”
10. What are the three points Vivian emphasizes in Donne's poem during her imaginary lecture?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define epiphany. Give at least one example of an epiphany in Wit. What lead to this epiphany? What is the aftermath of this epiphany? How does this epiphany change the character?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Susie and Jason. How are they alike? How are they different? Explain each of their relationships with Vivian.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the title of the play. What is wit? How is it used in literature? Whose wit is being referred to by the title of the play? What role does wit have throughout the play?
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)