|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Vivian occupy herself while she waits for her physical exam?
2. What organ will be monitored during Vivian's treatment cycles?
3. What overwhelms the meaning of the sonnet in the translation Vivian used?
4. Why is Vivian's treatment aggressive?
5. What trait do Vivian and Kelekian emphasize with their students?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Vivian describe the introduction her colleagues would write?
2. How does Ashford describe Vivian's essay?
3. What is the irony of Vivian's hospitalization during her chemotherapy?
4. How does Vivian say she would have preferred her play be cast? Why can it not be?
5. What does Vivian like about grand rounds?
6. What is the standard greeting where Vivian is? What is her standard response?
7. Why does Vivian explain her career while the technicians perform their tests?
8. How does Vivian foreshadow, or hint at, her fever prior to Scene 8?
9. Why is Vivian's diagnosis so concerning?
10. What does Vivian think the process would be if she barfed her brains out?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain Vivian's relationship with words. How did words become important to her? Why are words important to her? How does Vivian use her relationship with words during her struggle with cancer? Do words help or hinder her during her treatment?
Essay Topic 2
Define irony. Give at least two examples of irony in Wit. What types of irony are each of these examples? How do you know these instances are ironic? What do these instances of irony do to the story?
Essay Topic 3
Define climax. Identify the climax of the play. How do you know this is the climax of the story? What events led up to this moment? How does the rest of the story play out after the climax? Could any other moments be considered climactic? If so, which ones and how?
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)