|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Vivian consider her life's work?
2. How much does Vivian vomit in Scene 5?
3. Who takes Vivian's medical history in Scene 4?
4. What source does Gardner's translation use for the sonnets?
5. What side effect of Vivian's medication trips up the fellows during grand rounds?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Vivian describe the introduction her colleagues would write?
2. What does Vivian think the process would be if she barfed her brains out?
3. What is the truth that Ashford refers to in her explanation of Donne's sonnet?
4. What are the two examples Vivian gives of being asked the standard greeting?
5. What does Vivian like about grand rounds?
6. Why does Vivian recite Donne's Holy Sonnet Six while she is waiting for Jason to examine her?
7. Why does Susie note that Vivian has not had many visitors? How does Vivian react?
8. Why does Jason suddenly stop as he is talking about Vivian during the examination?
9. Why does Jason not want to lower Vivian's dose of chemotherapy?
10. How does Vivian's father teach her the word “soporific?”
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define characterization. Give at least one example of each type of characterization used in Wit to describe Vivian. Write a brief character biography of Vivian.
Essay Topic 2
Define aside. Give at least one example of an aside used in the play. How does Edson use asides in Wit? What do asides add to the story?
Essay Topic 3
Define climax. Identify the climax of the play. How do you know this is the climax of the story? What events led up to this moment? How does the rest of the story play out after the climax? Could any other moments be considered climactic? If so, which ones and how?
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)