|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What stage is Vivian's cancer in?
2. What year dates Gardner's source materials?
3. How long did Vivian study with Ashford?
4. How long does each cycle take to complete?
5. What is the problem with the translation Vivian used?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the irony of Vivian's hospitalization during her chemotherapy?
2. Describe Vivian as she appears at the opening of the play.
3. What are the two examples Vivian gives of being asked the standard greeting?
4. Why does Vivian recite Donne's Holy Sonnet Six while she is waiting for Jason to examine her?
5. What is the standard greeting where Vivian is? What is her standard response?
6. What are three things Vivian think about while Kelekian is explaining her diagnosis?
7. How does Vivian say she would have preferred her play be cast? Why can it not be?
8. Explain the cycle of Vivian's chemotherapy treatments as it relates to her overall feeling.
9. Why does Jason suddenly stop as he is talking about Vivian during the examination?
10. When and how did Vivian discover words would be her life's work?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define motif. Identify one motif used throughout Wit. How is this motif used throughout the play? How does this motif affect Vivian? How does this motif affect the overall story?
Essay Topic 2
Define conflict. Identify each type of conflict and give at least one example of each from Wit. How do each of these conflicts resolve by the end of the play?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the title of the play. What is wit? How is it used in literature? Whose wit is being referred to by the title of the play? What role does wit have throughout the play?
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)