|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What translation should Vivian have used?
2. How long does Vivian say she is given to live?
(a) Two hours.
(b) Six months.
(c) Several weeks.
(d) Two months.
3. What percentage of the chemotherapy dose does Vivian have to take?
(c) It will vary based on the cycle number.
4. What does Vivian do after meeting with Ashford?
(a) Read it again.
(b) Do the paper over.
(c) Go outside.
(d) Go back to the library.
5. Vivian says she wants to know what the doctors mean when they ______.
(a) Figuratively dissect her.
(b) Talk over her.
(c) Treat her.
(d) Anatomize her.
6. How does Vivian occupy herself while she waits for her physical exam?
(a) She imagines she is giving a lecture.
(b) She recites a sonnet by John Donne.
(c) She sings.
(d) She speculates how her career path would have gone if she had not gotten cancer.
7. What does Vivian say she is learning to do during her course of chemotherapy treatment?
(a) To be patient.
(b) To suffer.
(c) To survive.
(d) To sleep.
8. What source does Gardner's translation use for the sonnets?
(a) Westmoreland manuscripts.
(b) Essex manuscripts.
(c) Reading manuscripts.
(d) London manuscripts.
9. What food does Susie offer Vivian?
(a) A slushie.
(d) A Popsicle.
10. What is the title of the book Vivian published?
(a) Donne and Death: a Comprehensive Text.
(b) Made Cunningly.
(c) Death Be Not Proud.
(d) A Biography of John Donne.
11. What is Vivian's first appointment in Scene 4?
(a) GI series.
(b) Blood work.
(c) Chest x-ray.
(d) Physical exam.
12. What is the struggle in the beginning of the sonnet, according to Ashford?
13. What word does Vivian struggle with as she reads on her birthday?
14. Why does Vivian go into the hospital at the beginning of Scene 8?
(a) She wants to say hello to Susie.
(b) She has a fever.
(c) She was in a car accident.
(d) She is scheduled for her fifth cycle of chemotherapy.
15. What sonnet is Vivian's paper about that must be done over?
(a) Holy Sonnet Six.
(b) Holy Sonnet Ten.
(c) Lady Lazarus.
(d) Holy Sonnet Five.
Short Answer Questions
1. What year dates Gardner's source materials?
2. When did Vivian lose her hair?
3. What was Vivian's principal task during her time with Ashford?
4. Who is Kelekian?
5. How many nightgowns does Vivian say she wears all day?
This section contains 421 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)