|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What side effect of Vivian's medication trips up the fellows during grand rounds?
(b) Hair loss.
(c) Psychological depression.
(d) Nausea and vomiting.
2. What is the definition of the word Vivian struggles with as she reads on her birthday?
(a) Makes you sleepy.
(c) A type of flower.
(d) Having the properties of blood.
3. How long did Vivian study with Ashford?
(a) Until she completed her Ph.D.
(b) One year.
(c) Three years.
(d) Six years.
4. What example does Vivian's father give her to help her understand the definition of the word she struggles with?
(a) Boring dinner conversation.
(b) Deer ticks.
(c) Vivian's mother's flower-bed.
(d) His Victorian Era settee.
5. What was Vivian's principal task during her time with Ashford?
(a) Organizing manuscripts.
(b) Alphabetizing index cards.
(c) Grading freshman essays.
(d) Responding to fan mail.
6. What organ will be monitored during Vivian's treatment cycles?
7. How much does Vivian vomit in Scene 5?
(a) Several ounces.
(b) "Less than it feels like."
(c) 300 cc's.
(d) A "bucketload."
8. When did Vivian lose her hair?
(a) After the first cycle of chemotherapy.
(b) It is still falling out.
(c) She shaved her head before she began chemotherapy.
(d) Between the fourth and fifth cycles of chemotherapy.
9. How many visitors has Vivian had since arriving at the hospital?
(a) Enough to fill a lecture hall.
(d) Only a few.
10. How does Vivian get to the hospital at the beginning of Scene 8?
(a) She takes a taxi.
(b) She drives herself.
(c) She is taken in by an ambulance.
(d) She is driven by a colleague.
11. What is Vivian's second appointment in Scene 4?
(a) Physical exam.
(b) Blood work.
(c) Chest x-ray.
(d) GI series.
12. What is the title of the book Vivian published?
(a) Made Cunningly.
(b) Donne and Death: a Comprehensive Text.
(c) Death Be Not Proud.
(d) A Biography of John Donne.
13. What word does Vivian struggle with as she reads on her birthday?
14. How many nightgowns does Vivian say she wears all day?
(a) One, as well as a bathrobe.
(c) One less than is comfortable.
15. What source does Gardner's translation use for the sonnets?
(a) Westmoreland manuscripts.
(b) Reading manuscripts.
(c) London manuscripts.
(d) Essex manuscripts.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Vivian say she is given to live?
2. How long would Scene 6 last if Vivian had written it?
3. What does Vivian say about medical terms in comparison to the words of Donne?
4. What causes Jason to lose his composure at the end of Vivian's physical exam?
5. What is the struggle in the beginning of the sonnet, according to Ashford?
This section contains 465 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)