|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many nightgowns does Vivian say she wears all day?
(a) One less than is comfortable.
(c) One, as well as a bathrobe.
2. What false name does Vivian give a technician?
(a) Kristin Lavransdatter.
(b) Lucy, Countess of Bedford.
(c) Jane Eyre.
(d) Duke Jasper Fforde.
3. Why does Jason go into Vivian's room wearing protective clothing?
(a) To check her I&O chart.
(b) He is following Kelekian.
(c) To give her a new IV bag.
(d) To take her vitals.
4. Who published Vivian's dissertation?
(a) The Journal of English Texts.
(b) The Scholarly Journal of Literature.
(c) The University Press.
(d) Critical Discourse.
5. Vivian says she wants to know what the doctors mean when they ______.
(a) Talk over her.
(b) Treat her.
(c) Figuratively dissect her.
(d) Anatomize her.
6. How does Vivian handle unfamiliar medical terms?
(a) She analyzes them by breaking them down.
(b) She asks Susie.
(c) She pretends she understands.
(d) She looks them up.
7. What sonnet is Vivian's paper about that must be done over?
(a) Lady Lazarus.
(b) Holy Sonnet Ten.
(c) Holy Sonnet Six.
(d) Holy Sonnet Five.
8. Who presents Vivian's case during grand rounds?
(b) A doctor Vivian has never met.
9. What does Vivian do after meeting with Ashford?
(a) Go outside.
(b) Go back to the library.
(c) Do the paper over.
(d) Read it again.
10. How long does each cycle take to complete?
(a) One month.
(b) One week.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) Three weeks.
11. What does Vivian think would be a great loss to her discipline?
(a) Allowing her colleagues to hear her vocabulary.
(b) Barfing her brains out.
(c) Her death.
12. What example does Vivian's father give her to help her understand the definition of the word she struggles with?
(a) Deer ticks.
(b) Boring dinner conversation.
(c) Vivian's mother's flower-bed.
(d) His Victorian Era settee.
13. What literary device does Vivian reference in her opening monologue?
14. Why does Vivian ring the bell after she vomits?
(a) So she can get help going to the restroom.
(b) So she can have some ice chips.
(c) So the vomit can be added to her chart.
(d) So she can have a fresh glass of water.
15. What word does Kelekian use to refer to Vivian's cancer?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Vivian say about medical terms in comparison to the words of Donne?
2. How does Vivian understand the poem, as explained by Ashford?
3. What source does Gardner's translation use for the sonnets?
4. Who takes Vivian's medical history in Scene 4?
5. What turn does Vivian's vocabulary take in Scene 5?
This section contains 446 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)