|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the landlady do to keep Sabbath Lily from living with Haze?
(a) She has her sent to a welfare detention home
(b) She tells Haze he must pay double for the two to live together
(c) She tells Haze the girl is after his money
(d) She evicts Sabbath Lily from her apartment
2. Why does Enoch go to the movies?
(a) He is planning to meet Haze at the theater
(b) He is trying to kill time until he has to meet Haze
(c) He believes his blood is telling him to
(d) He wants to see the movie that is playing
3. What happens to the man and woman sitting on the rock by the highway?
(a) They drive away in their car after seeing the gorilla
(b) They call the police
(c) They are frightened by Enoch
(d) They are killed by Enoch
4. Which is Enoch's favorite section of the newspaper?
(a) The front page
(b) The movie listings
(c) The comic strips
(d) The sports section
5. Who follows the True Prophet when he finishes preaching?
(c) Asa Hawks
6. Who is the True Prophet?
(a) Solace Layfield
(b) Haze Motes
(c) Hoover Shoats
(d) Asa Hawks
7. What is notable about Enoch's landlady?
(a) She is nearly blind, but navigates the house using her sense of smell
(b) She and Enoch have the same taste in art
(c) She is nearly deaf, but uses her sense of smell to
(d) She is willing to allow Enoch to decorate his room however he would like
8. Why does Haze's landlady continue to raise his rent?
(a) She wants to get as much of his government payment as possible
(b) She cannot keep other boarders because of his blindness
(c) Her taxes have been raised
(d) It is expensive for her to take care of Haze
9. What does Enoch order for dinner at the diner?
(a) Soup and a sandwich
(b) A sandwich and a piece of cake
(c) Soup and a milkshake
(d) Soup and piece of cake
10. What does Sabbath Lily tell Haze first attracted her to him?
(a) His religious beliefs
(b) His white hat
(c) His preacher's face
(d) His pecan-colored eyes
11. What happens to the rug when Enoch attempts to clean it?
(a) Carpet tacks come out of it
(b) He bleaches it with cleaner
(c) It falls out the window
(d) It disintegrates
12. Which of the following is NOT a piece of information Enoch shares with Gonga?
(a) He works at the zoo
(b) He is 18 years old
(c) He attended a religious boys' school
(d) He has seen all of the gorilla's movies
13. Where does Enoch's instinct tell him Haze lives?
(a) In the same boarding house he (Enoch) lives in
(b) In the same house as the Hawks family
(c) In Mrs. Watts' boarding house
(d) Near the movie theater
14. How many followers does the Church Without Christ have?
(c) One hundred
15. Why does Haze purchase a back of quicklime?
(a) To pour on the Essex
(b) To kill himself
(c) To blind himself with
(d) To blind the police officer with
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Haze tell the crowd they need to hunt down and kill?
2. What leads Enoch to the movie theater?
3. Who does a woman in the crowd think the True Prophet is?
4. Who is waiting for Haze when he returns home from preaching?
5. Why does Enoch want to see Gonga the gorilla?
This section contains 605 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)