|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What commentary does the taxi driver offer on preachers?
(a) He believes they are the holiest men on earth
(b) He believes they are all sinners at heart just like regular folk
(c) He believes they should have the same experiences that regular men do
(d) He believes they think they are too good to believe in anything
2. Which of the following is NOT a feature of the car Haze wants to buy?
(a) It has a piece of wood for the back seat
(b) The front passenger seat is rotted out
(c) The driver's side door is held on with rope
(d) The horn doesn't work
3. How long does Haze have to wait for the next train to Taulkenham?
(a) 1 day
(b) 6 hours
(c) 3 hours
(d) 1 hour
4. Why did Hazel leave his hometown?
(a) To get married
(b) To become a preacher
(c) To start a new life
(d) To join the army
5. Who does Mrs. Hitchcock tell Hazel Motes she going to visit?
(a) Her married daughter
(b) Her unmarried daughter
(c) Her cousin
(d) Her sister
6. What does Haze do with the article Hawks shows him about his blindness?
(a) He rips it up in front of Hawks
(b) He takes it with him as evidence of Hawks' deception
(c) He returns it to him
(d) He keeps it
7. What is Mrs. Watts doing when Hazel arrives at her house?
(a) Cutting her toenails
(b) Entertaining another man
(c) Applying cream to her face
(d) Reading a magazine
8. To what does Hazel liken his sleeping berth on the train?
(a) A bed
(b) A cave
(c) A grave
(d) A coffin
9. What is Asa Hawks pretending to be to draw more followers to his religion?
(a) A kind and loving father
(b) A devout Christian
(d) The new Jesus
10. Which of the following is NOT found on the walls of the men's restroom Hazel visits at the train station?
(a) Drawings of men
(d) Drawings of women
11. What does Haze declare to both the waitress and the owl at the zoo?
(a) I ain't no sinner.
(b) I am clean.
(c) Jesus saves.
(d) If Jesus existed, I wouldn't be clean.
12. What did people claim was the reason for Haze opening his brother's casket at his funeral?
(a) He wanted to make sure his brother was really dead
(b) He was heartbroken over his brother's death
(c) He had a morbid fascination with dead people
(d) He was trying to climb into the coffin to be with his brother
13. Where does Haze go after he finished preaching outside of the movie theaters?
(a) To his boarding house
(b) To find Enoch
(c) To Mrs. Watts' house
(d) To find the Hawks'
14. What is the street vendor in Taulkinham selling?
(a) Potato peelers
(b) Apple peelers
(c) Peeled potatoes
15. What information does Haze hope to get from Enoch Emery?
(a) Mrs. Watts' address
(b) The Hawks' address
(c) The location of the
(d) The location of a good car dealership
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose coffin was the first Hazel had ever seen?
2. How much does Enoch tell the salesman he will give him for one of his products?
3. What is the secret that Enoch shares with Haze?
4. Where does Enoch sit to watch the women and children swim in the public pool?
5. Who had Hazel dreamed of being like when he was a child?
This section contains 568 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)