|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Haze rent a room?
(a) He decides to stay in his car instead of paying to rent a room
(b) In Mrs. Watts' home
(c) In the same house as Enoch
(d) In the same house as the preacher and his daughter
2. Why did Hazel leave his hometown?
(a) To start a new life
(b) To join the army
(c) To become a preacher
(d) To get married
3. What did Hazel consider doing to avoid having to serve in the army?
(a) Become a preacher
(b) Run away to a foreign country
(c) Become a teacher
(d) Shoot off his foot
4. What is unusual about Hazel's suit?
(a) It does not fit him properly
(b) His hat is black and his suit is blue. They do not match
(c) It is blue, an usual color for a suit
(d) It still has the price tag on the sleeve
5. Who is hiding in the back seat of Haze's car when he drives into the country?
(a) The car mechanic
(b) Enoch Emery
(c) Sabbath Lily Hawks
(d) Asa Hawks
6. How do Hazel's fellow soldiers react when he tells them he will not visit a brothel with them?
(a) They ignore his religious banter
(b) They leave silently
(c) They tell him he is soulless
(d) They tell him to stop judging them
7. What is unusual about Mrs. Watts' house?
(a) It looks like a shack
(b) She leaves the door unlocked
(c) She does not live with her husband
(d) She leaves the light in her bedroom on all of the time
8. What does Sabbath Lily tell Haze happened to her mother?
(a) She left her father when he became a preacher
(b) She died when the girl was only a few years old
(c) She refused to marry her father
(d) She died shortly after giving birth to the girl
9. Which of Haze's physical features draws the Hawks girl to him?
(a) His eyes
(b) His height
(c) His clothing
(d) His lips
10. What does the car low owner's son mutter as Haze shops for a car?
(a) Criticism of his father
(b) Rude comments about Haze
(c) Biblical scripture
(d) Religious curses
11. What is Mrs. Watts wearing when Hazel arrives at her house?
(a) A pink dress
(b) A pink nightgown
(c) A red nightgown
12. How does Haze ultimately find out where the Hawks family lives?
(a) He finds them on the street and follows them home
(b) Enoch gives him their address
(c) He finds them on the street and asks them where they live
(d) He asks others members of the Hawks' congregation where they live
13. How did Asa Hawks become blind?
(a) He was involved in a car accident
(b) He intentionally blinded himself by putting lime in his eyes
(c) He was born without eyesight
(d) He was accidentally blinded when someone threw lime in his eyes
14. Which of the following adjectives best describes Enoch Emery?
15. What information does Haze hope to get from Enoch Emery?
(a) Mrs. Watts' address
(b) The location of a good car dealership
(c) The location of the
(d) The Hawks' address
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Haze do with the article Hawks shows him about his blindness?
2. How long does Haze have to wait for the next train to Taulkenham?
3. Why is Haze forced to drive so slowly during the test drive?
4. Who had Hazel dreamed of being like when he was a child?
5. What does the letter Haze writes to Hawks' daughter say?
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)