|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the special place Wayne and Eldon sometimes meet to talk?
2. How many of the other stories that Uncle David tells does Eldon say he remembers?
3. Orud's helmet is soaked in ______________.
4. What do Eldon and Wayne look through to see Uncle David by the pile of logs out back?
5. What does Eldon ask when the story is finished?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Wayne and Eldon talk about in their special place in the granary? What happens when Uncle David overhears?
2. What are the reactions of each of the family members when David finishes telling the story of Alida?
3. What kind of jokes does Alen play on the foreman?
4. How does the story of Alida begin and who is telling the story?
5. What does Uncle David say about the number of men who were good cutters and their specific skills?
6. What are Eldon and Wayne doing when the boys realize that Uncle David is about to use the two axes to try to split a log? What are their reactions when they realize what Uncle David is going to do?
7. How do Orud and Melena die and what do people believe happened after that?
8. Describe what happens to the village after the deaths of Melena and Orud and what the people of the village believe has caused it.
9. What is the role of the boys who are too young to cut wood in Uncle David's story of the woodcutter?
10. What does David say about the first time he sees Alida?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the story Uncle David tells about Crazy Allen? What is Eldon's reaction to the story and why?
Essay Topic 2
Why do you believe the author presented the story in first-person? Were there other alternatives? What major aspects of the story would have changed if the author had changed the perspective?
Essay Topic 3
What is the first story Uncle David tells each winter? Why is that story important to him? What are the reactions of each of the other family members to the story?
This section contains 969 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)