|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mother take a breath when Uncle David finishes the story of Crazy Alen?
2. What is the purpose of soaking his helmet in a substance?
3. What is the first story Uncle David tells that night?
4. What does Uncle David do after he puts the axes away but before he heads into the house?
5. What does Eldon say Uncle David's hands are like?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does David say his life changes when he marries Alida?
2. Describe the argument that happens over Melena.
3. What is the joke that Crazy Alen plays on the foreman? Why does it get him fired?
4. What do Wayne and Eldon talk about in their special place in the granary? What happens when Uncle David overhears?
5. What kind of jokes does Alen play on the foreman?
6. What does Uncle David say one particular woodcutter was able to do with a match?
7. What does Uncle David say about the number of men who were good cutters and their specific skills?
8. Describe what happens to the village after the deaths of Melena and Orud and what the people of the village believe has caused it.
9. What are some of the chores Eldon does on the day Uncle David tells the story about the woodcutter?
10. What is the role of the boys who are too young to cut wood in Uncle David's story of the woodcutter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Eldon says that he hate the idea of all the killing that goes on in fall but he can't keep from watching. Wayne says that's "two-faced." Do you believe Wayne is correct? Why or why not? Why does Eldon watch?
Essay Topic 2
What are the positive aspects of each of the seasons Eldon discusses? What are the negative aspects of each of the seasons?
Essay Topic 3
What is the story Uncle David tells about Crazy Allen? What is Eldon's reaction to the story and why?
This section contains 936 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)