|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much wood does Uncle David say they cut?
2. What kind of trouble does Mother say a neighbor is having?
3. What does Uncle David sometimes do to earn extra money?
4. What is the joke Alen plays on the foreman?
5. When are Wayne and Eldon allowed to use the axes that were once used by Uncle David and Nels?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does David say about the first time he sees Alida?
2. Describe how Uncle David changes as he's about to split the logs. What happens to him immediately after the feat?
3. How do Orud and Melena die and what do people believe happened after that?
4. What are the reactions of each of the family members when David finishes telling the story of Alida?
5. Describe the argument that happens over Melena.
6. What does Alen do after he's fired and why?
7. What kind of jokes does Alen play on the foreman?
8. What does David say about his life after Alida's death?
9. What does Eldon say about the different ways he and Wayne view Uncle David's stories?
10. What does Uncle David say about the amount of wood they cut and their attitudes about the cleared land?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Eldon. What is his role in the story? What kind of boy is he?
Essay Topic 2
What are some of the fun activities Eldon describes? Do those sound like fun?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the farm house. How many rooms are there? What are each of the rooms used for? Include some details about each of the rooms.
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)