|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Eldon have for supper near the end of the chapter titled "Crazy Alen?"
2. According to Uncle David, what was the reaction of the men once the cutting was finished?
3. Where is Uncle David when he encounters the man called Crazy Alen?
4. What is the expression on Alen's face when he dies?
5. What is Mother's reaction to the story of Orud?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Eldon say about the different ways he and Wayne view Uncle David's stories?
2. What does Uncle David say about the number of men who were good cutters and their specific skills?
3. What does Uncle David say about the men who lived during the time of Orud?
4. What does Alen do after he's fired and why?
5. How does the story of Alida begin and who is telling the story?
6. What does David say about the first time he sees Alida?
7. What is the role of the boys who are too young to cut wood in Uncle David's story of the woodcutter?
8. What are some of the chores Eldon does on the day Uncle David tells the story about the woodcutter?
9. What does Uncle David say about the amount of wood they cut and their attitudes about the cleared land?
10. What are the reactions of each of the family members when David finishes telling the story of Alida?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the first story Uncle David tells each winter? Why is that story important to him? What are the reactions of each of the other family members to the story?
Essay Topic 2
Eldon says that he hate the idea of all the killing that goes on in fall but he can't keep from watching. Wayne says that's "two-faced." Do you believe Wayne is correct? Why or why not? Why does Eldon watch?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Wayne? Father? Mother? Uncle David? Nels? How is each related to Eldon? Which of these relationships is/are most important to the story?
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)