|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Wayne say Eldon can't tell Uncle David they saw him with the log?
2. What does Wayne want to tell Eldon that morning in their special place?
3. What does Uncle David say the young woodcutter could do with a match?
4. What does Uncle David do with the two split halves of the log?
5. How long does it take to get Alen's body back to the camp?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of jokes does Alen play on the foreman?
2. What are the reactions of each of the family members when David finishes telling the story of Alida?
3. What is Eldon's reaction to Uncle David's story?
4. Describe the rest of the story after Father reveals that the woodcutter in the story is Uncle David?
5. What do Wayne and Eldon talk about in their special place in the granary? What happens when Uncle David overhears?
6. What does Uncle David say about the amount of wood they cut and their attitudes about the cleared land?
7. What is the conversation in the winter room the night after Wayne calls Uncle David a liar?
8. Describe the argument that happens over Melena.
9. How do Orud and Melena die and what do people believe happened after that?
10. What are Eldon and Wayne doing when the boys realize that Uncle David is about to use the two axes to try to split a log? What are their reactions when they realize what Uncle David is going to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the story Uncle David tells about Crazy Allen? What is Eldon's reaction to the story and why?
Essay Topic 2
What are some of the fun activities Eldon describes? Do those sound like fun?
Essay Topic 3
What are the positive aspects of each of the seasons Eldon discusses? What are the negative aspects of each of the seasons?
This section contains 1,016 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)