|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Orud?
2. What does Uncle David do after he puts the axes away but before he heads into the house?
3. What is the second story Uncle David tells that night?
4. What seems to happen to Uncle David when he looks up toward the sun?
5. What is the game the foreman sometimes plays with Alen?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does David say about the first time he sees Alida?
2. What were some of the jokes Crazy Alen would play on the other men in the camp?
3. What does Uncle David say about the men who lived during the time of Orud?
4. How does David say his life changes when he marries Alida?
5. What are some of the chores Eldon does on the day Uncle David tells the story about the woodcutter?
6. What does Uncle David say one particular woodcutter was able to do with a match?
7. How does the story of Alida begin and who is telling the story?
8. What is the conversation in the winter room the night after Wayne calls Uncle David a liar?
9. What is the role of the boys who are too young to cut wood in Uncle David's story of the woodcutter?
10. What does Alen do just before he dies? What is the weather like at the time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you believe the author presented the story in first-person? Were there other alternatives? What major aspects of the story would have changed if the author had changed the perspective?
Essay Topic 2
What is the first story Uncle David tells each winter? Why is that story important to him? What are the reactions of each of the other family members to the story?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Eldon. What is his role in the story? What kind of boy is he?
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)