|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Alida taking what she's carrying the first time David sees her?
2. What do Alen and the foreman drink when they are playing their game?
3. What is the second story Uncle David tells that night?
4. Where is Uncle David when he encounters the man called Crazy Alen?
5. Why does Wayne say Eldon can't tell Uncle David they saw him with the log?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the joke that Crazy Alen plays on the foreman? Why does it get him fired?
2. What does Eldon say about the other stories and what is the hint he gives about "almost ruining it all?"
3. What does David say about his life after Alida's death?
4. What are some of the chores Eldon does on the day Uncle David tells the story about the woodcutter?
5. What is the conversation in the winter room the night after Wayne calls Uncle David a liar?
6. What is the challenge the foreman faces when he's trying to get Alen's body out of the cabin and to the camp?
7. What were some of the jokes Crazy Alen would play on the other men in the camp?
8. How does David say his life changes when he marries Alida?
9. How does the story of Alida begin and who is telling the story?
10. What does Alen do after he's fired and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe some of the work Eldon and the others do on the farm. Which of the jobs sounds most difficult? Which sounds most interesting? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Eldon talks about a time of division, such as the time between yesterday and today and the time between fall and winter. What does Eldon believe about the possibility that this division exists? What does Wayne believe? What do you believe? Why?
Essay Topic 3
What is the story Uncle David tells about Orud and Melena? What kind of story is this and why? Are there any believable aspects of the story? What are they?
This section contains 982 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)