|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Uncle David say happens to spit in the coldest part of winter?
2. How does the woman escape from where she's being held?
3. How old does Uncle David say he is when he meets Crazy Alen?
4. Why does Eldon think he needs to stop David before he takes some action at the log pile?
5. What does Wayne ask when the story is finished?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Eldon say about the different ways he and Wayne view Uncle David's stories?
2. What does Uncle David say about the number of men who were good cutters and their specific skills?
3. How does the story of Alida begin and who is telling the story?
4. Describe how Uncle David changes as he's about to split the logs. What happens to him immediately after the feat?
5. What does David say about his life after Alida's death?
6. What is Eldon's reaction to Uncle David's story?
7. Describe the rest of the story after Father reveals that the woodcutter in the story is Uncle David?
8. What are the reactions of each of the family members when David finishes telling the story of Alida?
9. What does Uncle David say about the amount of wood they cut and their attitudes about the cleared land?
10. What kind of jokes does Alen play on the foreman?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Does Eldon's life seem difficult? Support your answer with examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
What is the first story Uncle David tells each winter? Why is that story important to him? What are the reactions of each of the other family members to the story?
Essay Topic 3
Eldon talks about a time of division, such as the time between yesterday and today and the time between fall and winter. What does Eldon believe about the possibility that this division exists? What does Wayne believe? What do you believe? Why?
This section contains 916 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)