|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mother take a breath when Uncle David finishes the story of Crazy Alen?
2. How long after Alen dies does the foreman come to the cabin?
3. What is Uncle David carrying when he returns from the granary?
4. How does the woman escape from where she's being held?
5. What is Mother's reaction to the story of Orud?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were some of the jokes Crazy Alen would play on the other men in the camp?
2. What are the reactions of each of the family members when David finishes telling the story of Alida?
3. Describe what happens to the village after the deaths of Melena and Orud and what the people of the village believe has caused it.
4. What does Alen do after he's fired and why?
5. What do Wayne and Eldon talk about in their special place in the granary? What happens when Uncle David overhears?
6. Describe how Uncle David changes as he's about to split the logs. What happens to him immediately after the feat?
7. What does Uncle David say about the number of men who were good cutters and their specific skills?
8. What does Alen do just before he dies? What is the weather like at the time?
9. What does Eldon say about the different ways he and Wayne view Uncle David's stories?
10. What does Uncle David say one particular woodcutter was able to do with a match?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the farm house. How many rooms are there? What are each of the rooms used for? Include some details about each of the rooms.
Essay Topic 2
Who helps Eldon's family when it's time for haying and threshing? Describes the days when the two families come together. Why are these important?
Essay Topic 3
What is the story Uncle David tells about the woodcutter? What is the story really about? What are some of the feats the woodcutter is capable of? Are they believable?
This section contains 897 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)