|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Alen think about the fact that the men are calling him Crazy Alen?
2. How many of the other stories that Uncle David tells does Eldon say he remembers?
3. How does Uncle David say Alen came from the old country?
4. What does Uncle David do with the two split halves of the log?
5. How old does Uncle David say he was when he heard the story of Orud?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Uncle David say about the amount of wood they cut and their attitudes about the cleared land?
2. What are the reactions of each of the family members when David finishes telling the story of Alida?
3. What were some of the jokes Crazy Alen would play on the other men in the camp?
4. Why does Uncle David say it's so remarkable that some men stop to watch one particular cutter at work?
5. How do Orud and Melena die and what do people believe happened after that?
6. How does David say his life changes when he marries Alida?
7. What does David say about his life after Alida's death?
8. What is the challenge the foreman faces when he's trying to get Alen's body out of the cabin and to the camp?
9. What is the joke that Crazy Alen plays on the foreman? Why does it get him fired?
10. What is the conversation in the winter room the night after Wayne calls Uncle David a liar?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Eldon talks about a time of division, such as the time between yesterday and today and the time between fall and winter. What does Eldon believe about the possibility that this division exists? What does Wayne believe? What do you believe? Why?
Essay Topic 2
What is the story Uncle David tells about the woodcutter? What is the story really about? What are some of the feats the woodcutter is capable of? Are they believable?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the farm house. How many rooms are there? What are each of the rooms used for? Include some details about each of the rooms.
This section contains 1,004 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)