|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Uncle David when he encounters the man called Crazy Alen?
2. How long after Alen dies does the foreman come to the cabin?
3. What is the final line of Uncle David's story about Crazy Alen?
4. What does Uncle David do with the two split halves of the log?
5. What is the story Uncle David tells in the winter room that night?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the challenge the foreman faces when he's trying to get Alen's body out of the cabin and to the camp?
2. What does David say about his life after Alida's death?
3. What are some of the chores Eldon does on the day Uncle David tells the story about the woodcutter?
4. What does Eldon say about the other stories and what is the hint he gives about "almost ruining it all?"
5. What is the joke that Crazy Alen plays on the foreman? Why does it get him fired?
6. What were some of the jokes Crazy Alen would play on the other men in the camp?
7. What does Uncle David say about the amount of wood they cut and their attitudes about the cleared land?
8. What is the conversation in the winter room the night after Wayne calls Uncle David a liar?
9. What are the reactions of each of the family members when David finishes telling the story of Alida?
10. What are Eldon and Wayne doing when the boys realize that Uncle David is about to use the two axes to try to split a log? What are their reactions when they realize what Uncle David is going to do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Eldon says that he hate the idea of all the killing that goes on in fall but he can't keep from watching. Wayne says that's "two-faced." Do you believe Wayne is correct? Why or why not? Why does Eldon watch?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Eldon. What is his role in the story? What kind of boy is he?
Essay Topic 3
What is the first story Uncle David tells each winter? Why is that story important to him? What are the reactions of each of the other family members to the story?
This section contains 1,101 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)