|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the reaction when Crazy Alen first starts playing jokes on the other men?
2. What kind of tool does Uncle David say Crazy Alen used to cut trees?
3. What is the second story Uncle David tells that night?
4. How does Wayne stop Eldon from leaving the barn?
5. How old does Uncle David say he was when he heard the story of Orud?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Orud and Melena die and what do people believe happened after that?
2. Describe the rest of the story after Father reveals that the woodcutter in the story is Uncle David?
3. What are Eldon and Wayne doing when the boys realize that Uncle David is about to use the two axes to try to split a log? What are their reactions when they realize what Uncle David is going to do?
4. What do Wayne and Eldon talk about in their special place in the granary? What happens when Uncle David overhears?
5. Describe how Uncle David changes as he's about to split the logs. What happens to him immediately after the feat?
6. Why does Uncle David say it's so remarkable that some men stop to watch one particular cutter at work?
7. What does Uncle David say about the number of men who were good cutters and their specific skills?
8. Why does Uncle David say he knows more about Crazy Alen's jokes than some of the other men in the logging camps?
9. What does Alen do just before he dies? What is the weather like at the time?
10. What does Eldon say about the other stories and what is the hint he gives about "almost ruining it all?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you believe the author presented the story in first-person? Were there other alternatives? What major aspects of the story would have changed if the author had changed the perspective?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the farm where Eldon lives with his family. What are the most important settings within the farm? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Eldon talks about a time of division, such as the time between yesterday and today and the time between fall and winter. What does Eldon believe about the possibility that this division exists? What does Wayne believe? What do you believe? Why?
This section contains 1,015 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)