|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Uncle David sometimes do to earn extra money?
2. Where is Uncle David when he encounters the man called Crazy Alen?
3. Orud's helmet is soaked in ______________.
4. What does Wayne ask when the story is finished?
5. What does Uncle David say the young woodcutter could do with a match?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what happens to the village after the deaths of Melena and Orud and what the people of the village believe has caused it.
2. What is Eldon's reaction to Uncle David's story?
3. How do Orud and Melena die and what do people believe happened after that?
4. Why does Uncle David say it's so remarkable that some men stop to watch one particular cutter at work?
5. What is the role of the boys who are too young to cut wood in Uncle David's story of the woodcutter?
6. Describe how Uncle David changes as he's about to split the logs. What happens to him immediately after the feat?
7. What do Wayne and Eldon talk about in their special place in the granary? What happens when Uncle David overhears?
8. What are the reactions of each of the family members when David finishes telling the story of Alida?
9. What does Uncle David say about the amount of wood they cut and their attitudes about the cleared land?
10. Why does Uncle David say he knows more about Crazy Alen's jokes than some of the other men in the logging camps?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you believe the author presented the story in first-person? Were there other alternatives? What major aspects of the story would have changed if the author had changed the perspective?
Essay Topic 2
What are the activities that go on in the winter room? Why are these important to each of the characters and to the family as a whole?
Essay Topic 3
What is the first story Uncle David tells each winter? Why is that story important to him? What are the reactions of each of the other family members to the story?
This section contains 972 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)