|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Uncle David say the young woodcutter could do with a match?
2. Why does David say he put the handkerchief on his head when he and Alida were married?
3. How is Alida wearing her hair the first time Uncle David sees her?
4. What color is the hair of the woman Orud and his men capture?
5. What is the name of the beautiful woman Orud and his men capture?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does David say about the first time he sees Alida?
2. What does Uncle David say about the number of men who were good cutters and their specific skills?
3. Describe how Uncle David changes as he's about to split the logs. What happens to him immediately after the feat?
4. How does David say his life changes when he marries Alida?
5. How do Orud and Melena die and what do people believe happened after that?
6. What does Eldon say about the other stories and what is the hint he gives about "almost ruining it all?"
7. What are Eldon and Wayne doing when the boys realize that Uncle David is about to use the two axes to try to split a log? What are their reactions when they realize what Uncle David is going to do?
8. What does Uncle David say one particular woodcutter was able to do with a match?
9. What does Alen do just before he dies? What is the weather like at the time?
10. What do Wayne and Eldon talk about in their special place in the granary? What happens when Uncle David overhears?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Besides Eldon, who is the most important character of the story? Why is that character important?
Essay Topic 2
What are the activities that go on in the winter room? Why are these important to each of the characters and to the family as a whole?
Essay Topic 3
What is the most important theme of this story? Why? Give at least two examples of that theme seen in this story.
This section contains 954 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)