|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Mother take a breath when Uncle David finishes the story of Crazy Alen?
2. How long does it take to get Alen's body back to the camp?
3. What is Mother's reaction to the story of Orud?
4. How much wood does Uncle David say they cut?
5. What is the second story Uncle David tells that night?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Uncle David say about the men who lived during the time of Orud?
2. What were some of the jokes Crazy Alen would play on the other men in the camp?
3. Describe the rest of the story after Father reveals that the woodcutter in the story is Uncle David?
4. What does Uncle David say one particular woodcutter was able to do with a match?
5. What does David say about the first time he sees Alida?
6. What kind of jokes does Alen play on the foreman?
7. What is the joke that Crazy Alen plays on the foreman? Why does it get him fired?
8. Describe what happens to the village after the deaths of Melena and Orud and what the people of the village believe has caused it.
9. How does the story of Alida begin and who is telling the story?
10. Why does Uncle David say he knows more about Crazy Alen's jokes than some of the other men in the logging camps?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Eldon talks about a time of division, such as the time between yesterday and today and the time between fall and winter. What does Eldon believe about the possibility that this division exists? What does Wayne believe? What do you believe? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Who helps Eldon's family when it's time for haying and threshing? Describes the days when the two families come together. Why are these important?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the farm house. How many rooms are there? What are each of the rooms used for? Include some details about each of the rooms.
This section contains 941 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)