|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Uncle David say Alen came from the old country?
2. Why does Mother take a breath when Uncle David finishes the story of Crazy Alen?
3. What do the people of the village believe happens to the boats that sail from their port?
4. What are some of the troubles that strike the village after Orud's death?
5. What happens to Orud?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does David say about the first time he sees Alida?
2. Describe how Uncle David changes as he's about to split the logs. What happens to him immediately after the feat?
3. What are the reactions of each of the family members when David finishes telling the story of Alida?
4. What does Alen do after he's fired and why?
5. What are Eldon and Wayne doing when the boys realize that Uncle David is about to use the two axes to try to split a log? What are their reactions when they realize what Uncle David is going to do?
6. Why does Uncle David say he knows more about Crazy Alen's jokes than some of the other men in the logging camps?
7. What are some of the chores Eldon does on the day Uncle David tells the story about the woodcutter?
8. What does Alen do just before he dies? What is the weather like at the time?
9. What is Eldon's reaction to Uncle David's story?
10. Describe the rest of the story after Father reveals that the woodcutter in the story is Uncle David?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the positive aspects of each of the seasons Eldon discusses? What are the negative aspects of each of the seasons?
Essay Topic 2
Describe some of the work Eldon and the others do on the farm. Which of the jobs sounds most difficult? Which sounds most interesting? Why?
Essay Topic 3
What is the story Uncle David tells about the woodcutter? What is the story really about? What are some of the feats the woodcutter is capable of? Are they believable?
This section contains 929 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)