|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Orud?
2. What do Eldon and Wayne look through to see Uncle David by the pile of logs out back?
3. What is the purpose of soaking his helmet in a substance?
4. What is Orud's helmet made of?
5. What is the second story Uncle David tells that night?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Uncle David say he knows more about Crazy Alen's jokes than some of the other men in the logging camps?
2. What is the conversation in the winter room the night after Wayne calls Uncle David a liar?
3. What is the joke that Crazy Alen plays on the foreman? Why does it get him fired?
4. What does Uncle David say about the men who lived during the time of Orud?
5. What does Alen do just before he dies? What is the weather like at the time?
6. What are the reactions of each of the family members when David finishes telling the story of Alida?
7. How do Orud and Melena die and what do people believe happened after that?
8. Describe what happens to the village after the deaths of Melena and Orud and what the people of the village believe has caused it.
9. What does David say about the first time he sees Alida?
10. What kind of jokes does Alen play on the foreman?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the story Uncle David tells about the woodcutter? What is the story really about? What are some of the feats the woodcutter is capable of? Are they believable?
Essay Topic 2
What are some of the fun activities Eldon describes? Do those sound like fun?
Essay Topic 3
Eldon says that he hate the idea of all the killing that goes on in fall but he can't keep from watching. Wayne says that's "two-faced." Do you believe Wayne is correct? Why or why not? Why does Eldon watch?
This section contains 957 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)