|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Wayne ask when the story is finished?
2. What does Alen do with the cabin door just before he dies?
3. What seems to happen to Uncle David when he looks up toward the sun?
4. What is the problem the foreman faces with getting Alen out of the cabin?
5. How old does Uncle David say he is when he meets Crazy Alen?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Uncle David say about the number of men who were good cutters and their specific skills?
2. What does Eldon say about the other stories and what is the hint he gives about "almost ruining it all?"
3. What does David say about the first time he sees Alida?
4. What are the reactions of each of the family members when David finishes telling the story of Alida?
5. How do Orud and Melena die and what do people believe happened after that?
6. What does Uncle David say about the men who lived during the time of Orud?
7. What does Eldon say about the different ways he and Wayne view Uncle David's stories?
8. What are Eldon and Wayne doing when the boys realize that Uncle David is about to use the two axes to try to split a log? What are their reactions when they realize what Uncle David is going to do?
9. How does the story of Alida begin and who is telling the story?
10. Describe how Uncle David changes as he's about to split the logs. What happens to him immediately after the feat?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who helps Eldon's family when it's time for haying and threshing? Describes the days when the two families come together. Why are these important?
Essay Topic 2
What is the story Uncle David tells about the woodcutter? What is the story really about? What are some of the feats the woodcutter is capable of? Are they believable?
Essay Topic 3
What is the story Uncle David tells about Crazy Allen? What is Eldon's reaction to the story and why?
This section contains 978 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)