|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Uncle David doing the first time he sees Alida?
2. What kind of tool does Uncle David say Crazy Alen used to cut trees?
3. How many of the other stories that Uncle David tells does Eldon say he remembers?
4. What does Uncle David say the young woodcutter could do with a match?
5. What is the problem the foreman faces with getting Alen out of the cabin?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Orud and Melena die and what do people believe happened after that?
2. What kind of jokes does Alen play on the foreman?
3. What is the challenge the foreman faces when he's trying to get Alen's body out of the cabin and to the camp?
4. What does Uncle David say one particular woodcutter was able to do with a match?
5. What is the joke that Crazy Alen plays on the foreman? Why does it get him fired?
6. What do Wayne and Eldon talk about in their special place in the granary? What happens when Uncle David overhears?
7. What are Eldon and Wayne doing when the boys realize that Uncle David is about to use the two axes to try to split a log? What are their reactions when they realize what Uncle David is going to do?
8. What does Uncle David say about the amount of wood they cut and their attitudes about the cleared land?
9. What does Uncle David say about the number of men who were good cutters and their specific skills?
10. What is Eldon's reaction to Uncle David's story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe what happens after Wayne and Eldon find the western novel. Why do you believe the boys are so caught up in the excitement of the book?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Eldon. What is his role in the story? What kind of boy is he?
Essay Topic 3
What are some of the fun activities Eldon describes? Do those sound like fun?
This section contains 1,043 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)