|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is upstairs in the barn?
2. Why does Father say he doesn't shoot the pig?
3. What instrument does Harrin Olsen play at the beer hall?
4. How old is the farm where the family lives?
5. What is the first animal to be killed each fall?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the haying process.
2. What do Eldon and Wayne do with the stack of straw near the barn and what do Mother and Father say about it?
3. Compare Uncle David's side of the room with Nels' side.
4. What prompts the fight between Eldon and Wayne in the opening paragraphs of "Winter," and what do the boys decide about their argument?
5. Describe the stove in the winter room and what Wayne says the rails are for.
6. Who is Rex? What does he do around the farm? Why is he allowed to do that job?
7. What does the family eat at their annual picnic to the lake?
8. Why do the seagulls come to the field? What does Eldon think about them?
9. Describe how and why Wayne jumps out of the barn loft.
10. What does Eldon say about his dislike of fall?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you believe the author presented the story in first-person? Were there other alternatives? What major aspects of the story would have changed if the author had changed the perspective?
Essay Topic 2
Eldon says that he hate the idea of all the killing that goes on in fall but he can't keep from watching. Wayne says that's "two-faced." Do you believe Wayne is correct? Why or why not? Why does Eldon watch?
Essay Topic 3
Who is Wayne? Father? Mother? Uncle David? Nels? How is each related to Eldon? Which of these relationships is/are most important to the story?
This section contains 953 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)