|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who comes to help the family when it's haying time?
2. What color is Eldon's house?
3. Where was Father sitting when Eldon sees Mother rubbing Father's shoulders?
4. What time of day does Father leave for the fields?
5. What does Eldon say makes the seagulls less pretty?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the smells Eldon describes in the opening chapter called "Tuning?"
2. Describe the haying process.
3. What prompts the fight between Eldon and Wayne in the opening paragraphs of "Winter," and what do the boys decide about their argument?
4. Describe what happens when Eldon and Mother take Father's lunch to the fields.
5. What are the roles and the attitudes of Uncle David and Nels about the killing?
6. What does Eldon say about his dislike of fall?
7. Describe how and why Wayne jumps out of the barn loft.
8. When does Father take the plow shares in to be sharpened? Why does he do it then, and why does Eldon like to go along?
9. Describe what happens to Cousin Betty's daughter and where she's found.
10. What is the first thing Eldon describes doing after the first snow?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the farm where Eldon lives with his family. What are the most important settings within the farm? Why?
Essay Topic 2
What is the story Uncle David tells about the woodcutter? What is the story really about? What are some of the feats the woodcutter is capable of? Are they believable?
Essay Topic 3
What are the activities that go on in the winter room? Why are these important to each of the characters and to the family as a whole?
This section contains 956 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)