|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the animals killed each fall does Eldon say is the worst?
2. From where does the straw pile near the barn come?
3. Why does Mother say she likes Jersey cows better than Holsteins?
4. How long does Mother stay at the quilting bee at the end of fall?
5. What color is Eldon's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Compare Uncle David's side of the room with Nels' side.
2. What are some of the smells Eldon describes in the opening chapter called "Tuning?"
3. What does Eldon say about his dislike of fall?
4. Describe what happens when Eldon and Mother take Father's lunch to the fields.
5. What do Wayne and Eldon do after they find the western?
6. When does Father take the plow shares in to be sharpened? Why does he do it then, and why does Eldon like to go along?
7. Describe the time when Wayne and Eldon carved their names into a tree. How did Eldon feel and what happened to the tree?
8. Why do the seagulls come to the field? What does Eldon think about them?
9. Describe the haying process.
10. Describe how and why Wayne jumps out of the barn loft.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the first story Uncle David tells each winter? Why is that story important to him? What are the reactions of each of the other family members to the story?
Essay Topic 2
Describe some of the work Eldon and the others do on the farm. Which of the jobs sounds most difficult? Which sounds most interesting? Why?
Essay Topic 3
What is the story Uncle David tells about Crazy Allen? What is Eldon's reaction to the story and why?
This section contains 940 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)