|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Uncle David say the young woodcutter could do with a match?
(a) Cut it in half so that both halves lit.
(b) Start a forest fire.
(c) Kill a turkey.
(d) Cook an entire meal.
2. What does Uncle David say happens to spit in the coldest part of winter?
(a) It freezes in midair.
(b) He hisses when it hits the snow.
(c) No one knows.
(d) It bounces.
3. What does Wayne say when the axes meet in the middle of the log?
(b) I can't believe it.
4. What kind of tool does Uncle David say Crazy Alen used to cut trees?
(a) A chain saw.
(b) A crosscut saw.
(c) A bucksaw.
(d) An ax.
5. What is the second story Uncle David tells that night?
(a) The story of a woodcutter.
(b) The story of a terrible Viking.
(c) The story of Alida.
(d) The story of an ugly man who loved a girl.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Alida carrying the first time David sees her?
2. How does the foreman get Alen out of the cabin?
3. Why does Wayne say Eldon can't tell Uncle David they saw him with the log?
4. How long does it take to get Alen's body back to the camp?
5. What color is the hair of the woman Orud and his men capture?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of jokes does Alen play on the foreman?
2. How does David say his life changes when he marries Alida?
3. What does Uncle David say one particular woodcutter was able to do with a match?
4. What does Uncle David say about the amount of wood they cut and their attitudes about the cleared land?
5. What were some of the jokes Crazy Alen would play on the other men in the camp?
6. Describe the rest of the story after Father reveals that the woodcutter in the story is Uncle David?
7. Why does Uncle David say it's so remarkable that some men stop to watch one particular cutter at work?
8. Describe how Uncle David changes as he's about to split the logs. What happens to him immediately after the feat?
9. What are Eldon and Wayne doing when the boys realize that Uncle David is about to use the two axes to try to split a log? What are their reactions when they realize what Uncle David is going to do?
10. What are some of the chores Eldon does on the day Uncle David tells the story about the woodcutter?
This section contains 983 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)