|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Alida ask David the first time he sees her?
(a) Where he's from.
(b) His name.
(c) His dog's name.
(d) How he's doing.
2. What is the foreman's reaction to the joke?
(a) He laughs.
(b) He leaves the camp.
(c) He fires Alen.
(d) He is angry.
3. What is Alida carrying the first time David sees her?
(a) A jar of milk wrapped in a sheet.
(b) A towel and loaves of bread.
(c) A pot of soup.
(d) A gift.
4. What kind of tool does Uncle David say Crazy Alen used to cut trees?
(a) A crosscut saw.
(b) A bucksaw.
(c) An ax.
(d) A chain saw.
5. How old does Uncle David say he was when he heard the story of Orud?
(b) He doesn't say.
Short Answer Questions
1. What seems to happen to Uncle David when he looks up toward the sun?
2. What is the reaction when Crazy Alen first starts playing jokes on the other men?
3. For what does Uncle David say the rivers were used?
4. What is the first story Uncle David tells that night?
5. What is Orud's helmet made of?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Uncle David say he knows more about Crazy Alen's jokes than some of the other men in the logging camps?
2. What does Eldon say about the different ways he and Wayne view Uncle David's stories?
3. What are some of the chores Eldon does on the day Uncle David tells the story about the woodcutter?
4. What does David say about the first time he sees Alida?
5. What is the conversation in the winter room the night after Wayne calls Uncle David a liar?
6. Why does Uncle David say it's so remarkable that some men stop to watch one particular cutter at work?
7. How does David say his life changes when he marries Alida?
8. What is the role of the boys who are too young to cut wood in Uncle David's story of the woodcutter?
9. What does David say about his life after Alida's death?
10. What is Eldon's reaction to Uncle David's story?
This section contains 863 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)