|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long do Eldon and Wayne watch Uncle David?
(a) Until he sits down on the porch.
(b) For about twenty minutes.
(c) Until he rounds the corner of the barn.
(d) Until he's gone inside.
2. What is the first story Uncle David tells that night?
(a) The story of a terrible Viking.
(b) The story of Alida.
(c) The story of an ugly man who loved a girl.
(d) The story of a woodcutter.
3. How long does it take to get Alen's body back to the camp?
(a) Two days and a night.
(b) Three days and three nights.
(c) Almost a week.
(d) Two and a half hours.
4. According to Uncle David, what is the story of the woodcutter really about?
(a) The cutting of a huge forest.
(b) The differences between then and today.
(c) A young man.
(d) The method of replanting trees.
5. What does Wayne want to tell Eldon that morning in their special place?
(a) He has a girlfriend.
(b) He doesn't think David is their uncle.
(c) He plans to run away from home.
(d) Uncle David's stories are lies.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the foreman get Alen out of the cabin?
2. What color is the hair of the woman Orud and his men capture?
3. What does Wayne say when the axes meet in the middle of the log?
4. What is the second story Uncle David always tells in the winter room?
5. What is Mother's reaction to the story of Orud?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does David say his life changes when he marries Alida?
2. What does Uncle David say one particular woodcutter was able to do with a match?
3. How do Orud and Melena die and what do people believe happened after that?
4. What is the role of the boys who are too young to cut wood in Uncle David's story of the woodcutter?
5. What do Wayne and Eldon talk about in their special place in the granary? What happens when Uncle David overhears?
6. What does Uncle David say about the number of men who were good cutters and their specific skills?
7. Why does Uncle David say it's so remarkable that some men stop to watch one particular cutter at work?
8. Why does Uncle David say he knows more about Crazy Alen's jokes than some of the other men in the logging camps?
9. What does Alen do after he's fired and why?
10. What does Eldon say about the different ways he and Wayne view Uncle David's stories?
This section contains 958 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)