|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Orud's helmet made of?
2. What does Alen do with the cabin door just before he dies?
(a) Blocks it with furniture.
(b) Burns it.
(c) Opens it.
(d) Closes it.
3. Orud's helmet is soaked in ______________.
(a) Melted copper.
4. According to Uncle David, what is the story of the woodcutter really about?
(a) A young man.
(b) The differences between then and today.
(c) The method of replanting trees.
(d) The cutting of a huge forest.
5. What do the men have to do in the coldest part of winter to keep their axes from breaking?
(a) Pour water on them.
(c) Wear gloves.
(d) Warm them before using them.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the men get Alen's body from the camp to town?
2. What does Uncle David say Alida's hair is like?
3. How many of the other stories that Uncle David tells does Eldon say he remembers?
4. What is the second story Uncle David always tells in the winter room?
5. What is Mother's reaction to Uncle David's story about Alida?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Uncle David say about the amount of wood they cut and their attitudes about the cleared land?
2. Describe the rest of the story after Father reveals that the woodcutter in the story is Uncle David?
3. Why does Uncle David say it's so remarkable that some men stop to watch one particular cutter at work?
4. What does Eldon say about the other stories and what is the hint he gives about "almost ruining it all?"
5. What kind of jokes does Alen play on the foreman?
6. What are Eldon and Wayne doing when the boys realize that Uncle David is about to use the two axes to try to split a log? What are their reactions when they realize what Uncle David is going to do?
7. What is the joke that Crazy Alen plays on the foreman? Why does it get him fired?
8. What are some of the chores Eldon does on the day Uncle David tells the story about the woodcutter?
9. Describe what happens to the village after the deaths of Melena and Orud and what the people of the village believe has caused it.
10. What does Alen do after he's fired and why?
This section contains 1,010 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)