|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Eldon, what can be caught in the water trough where everyone washes up for dinner during thrashing time?
(a) A cold.
2. What causes Wayne's injury?
(a) Eldon hit him with a board.
(b) Eldon shoved him into a wall.
(c) Eldon hit him with his fist.
(d) Father hit him to make them stop fighting.
3. Where was Father sitting when Eldon sees Mother rubbing Father's shoulders?
(a) On the side of the bed.
(b) On a block of wood.
(c) On a kitchen chair.
(d) On the porch.
4. How much older is Wayne than Eldon?
(a) Three years.
(b) Four years.
(c) Two years.
(d) One year.
5. What had Wayne once made wings out of in an attempt to fly?
(a) Several old kites.
(b) A broom handle and a sheet.
(c) Sticks and feed sacks.
(d) Pillow cases and cane poles.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who washes the cream separator?
2. What does Mother do in the evenings in the winter room?
3. Who made the rock fireplace at the lake?
4. What was Mother saying as she rubbed Father's shoulders on the day Eldon sees them behind the barn?
5. Why do the men have to wear handkerchiefs over their noses during thrashing time?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what happens when Eldon and Mother take Father's lunch to the fields.
2. What are some of the things Eldon says happens when fall is over but winter hasn't yet formally arrived?
3. Why do the seagulls come to the field? What does Eldon think about them?
4. Describe Eldon's childhood illness and the effect it has had on his life.
5. Describe how and why Wayne jumps out of the barn loft.
6. Describe what happens to Cousin Betty's daughter and where she's found.
7. What are some of the sounds Elden describes in the opening chapter?
8. Who is Rex? What does he do around the farm? Why is he allowed to do that job?
9. When does Father take the plow shares in to be sharpened? Why does he do it then, and why does Eldon like to go along?
10. Describe the room next to the kitchen in the family home.
This section contains 985 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)