|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Mother keep coffee hot when she takes it for Father's lunch?
(a) She wraps a jar in sacking.
(b) She puts it in a thermos.
(c) She doesn't, he likes it cold.
(d) She builds a campfire near the field to warm it.
2. Why does Mother say she likes Jersey cows better than Holsteins?
(a) The Jerseys are gentler.
(b) There's more cream in a Jersey's milk.
(c) The Jerseys give more milk.
(d) There is less fat in a Jersey's milk.
3. How old is the farm where the family lives?
(a) The same age as Uncle David.
(b) At least a hundred.
(c) No one knows.
(d) About twenty years.
4. Where does the family dog sleep as fall comes to an end?
(a) In the kitchen.
(b) Under the porch.
(c) In the barn.
(d) In Wayne's room.
5. Where was Father sitting when Eldon sees Mother rubbing Father's shoulders?
(a) On a kitchen chair.
(b) On a block of wood.
(c) On the side of the bed.
(d) On the porch.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Eldon supposed to do while Wayne jumps from the hayloft onto the horse's back?
2. Who oils the thrashing machine?
3. What does Eldon say there is to do on the morning after the first snowfall?
4. What was Wayne's injury from that fight in "Winter?"
5. What is the name of the family's dog?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the roles and the attitudes of Uncle David and Nels about the killing?
2. Compare Uncle David's side of the room with Nels' side.
3. How does Eldon describe the tractor and what does he say about his father being injured by the tractor?
4. What are some of the "lights" Eldon describes in the opening chapter?
5. What does the family eat at their annual picnic to the lake?
6. Describe how and why Wayne jumps out of the barn loft.
7. Why does Uncle David believe everyone works so much harder in the summer than in the winter?
8. Describe the haying process.
9. Describe what happens to Cousin Betty's daughter and where she's found.
10. What is the first thing Eldon describes doing after the first snow?
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)