|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From where does the straw pile near the barn come?
(a) The thrashing machine.
(b) It's put there by farmers who don't want it.
(c) It's thrown from the hayloft.
(d) It's cut in the fields and brought there on wagons.
2. Who made the rock fireplace at the lake?
(a) No one knows for sure.
(b) Uncle David and Nels.
3. Where does the family dog sleep as fall comes to an end?
(a) Under the porch.
(b) In the kitchen.
(c) In Wayne's room.
(d) In the barn.
4. How many people are in Eldon's family?
5. What does Father say that lets Eldon know it's fall?
(a) It's fall.
(b) The leaves are beginning to fall.
(c) Summer is over.
(d) We're going to the lake.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who turns the crank on the cream separator?
2. Who washes the cream separator?
3. What does Eldon say he likes better than wax teeth?
4. Why does the blacksmith have to sharpen the plows every summer?
5. What causes Wayne's injury?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the room next to the kitchen in the family home.
2. Who is Rex? What does he do around the farm? Why is he allowed to do that job?
3. What does Eldon say in response to Wayne's idea that spring is an "awakening," and why does he have this attitude?
4. What is the first thing Eldon describes doing after the first snow?
5. Why do the seagulls come to the field? What does Eldon think about them?
6. What are some of the smells Eldon describes in the opening chapter called "Tuning?"
7. What prompts the fight between Eldon and Wayne in the opening paragraphs of "Winter," and what do the boys decide about their argument?
8. What does Eldon say about his dislike of fall?
9. What are some of the "lights" Eldon describes in the opening chapter?
10. Describe what Father is working on during his evenings in the winter room.
This section contains 962 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)