|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Eldon and Wayne look through to see Uncle David by the pile of logs out back?
(a) Through a gap in the logs of the barn.
(b) Through their bedroom window.
(c) Through the door of the hayloft.
(d) Through the screen door.
2. What is Orud's helmet made of?
3. What does Uncle David sometimes do to earn extra money?
(a) Carries dynamite.
(b) Does laundry.
(c) Delivers packages.
(d) Sharpens tools.
4. Why does David say he and Alida had to put off their planned trip to America?
(a) She was expecting a child.
(b) They couldn't save enough money.
(c) They were afraid to leave their families.
(d) There were no ships sailing in those days.
5. What color is Alida's hair?
6. What is Uncle David carrying when he returns from the granary?
(a) A shovel.
(b) A saw.
(c) Two axes.
(d) A saddle.
7. How does Uncle David say Alen came from the old country?
(a) By ferry.
(b) By boat.
(c) He walked.
(d) By wagon.
8. Where is the special place Wayne and Eldon sometimes meet to talk?
(a) In the hayloft.
(b) Under their bed.
(c) In the meadow near the barn.
(d) At the back of the granary.
9. What is Wayne's reaction when Father says that the young woodcutter is really Uncle David?
(a) He asks Uncle David to show them.
(b) He begins to cry.
(c) He stiffens and is obviously angry.
(d) He asks Nels if it's true.
10. For what does Uncle David say the rivers were used?
(a) Ice roads.
(b) Water supply for fighting fires.
(c) A place to trap.
(d) Water for the animals that.
11. What is the name of the beautiful woman Orud and his men capture?
12. What does he say her eyes are like?
(b) A meadow.
(c) A lake.
13. Who built Alen's cabin?
(a) Some settlers from years earlier.
(c) No one knows.
(d) The men from the camp.
14. What seems to happen to Uncle David when he looks up toward the sun?
(a) He seems to find some inner peace.
(b) He seems to age.
(c) He seems to get younger.
(d) He seems ready to die.
15. What is Mother's reaction to the story of Orud?
(a) She cries.
(b) She shakes her head.
(c) She says she doesn't believe it.
(d) She laughs.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the second story Uncle David always tells in the winter room?
2. What kind of tool does Uncle David say Crazy Alen used to cut trees?
3. For what are the logs to be used?
4. According to Uncle David, what is the story of the woodcutter really about?
5. What does the woman do to save herself from marrying Orud?
This section contains 503 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)