|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the foreman's reaction to the joke?
(a) He leaves the camp.
(b) He laughs.
(c) He is angry.
(d) He fires Alen.
2. Why does Eldon think he needs to stop David before he takes some action at the log pile?
(a) Eldon knows the logs are going to be used.
(b) Eldon fears David will be hurt.
(c) Eldon fears David won't be able to split a log.
(d) Eldon knows the logs belong to a neighbor.
3. Who built Alen's cabin?
(a) The men from the camp.
(b) No one knows.
(d) Some settlers from years earlier.
4. What is the expression on Alen's face when he dies?
(a) He's sad.
(b) He's smiling.
(c) He's peaceful.
(d) He's frowning.
5. How does the woman escape from where she's being held?
(a) Another man helps her escape.
(b) She climbs through a window.
(c) She slips through the bars.
(d) She uses magic.
6. What does Eldon say he has to do after Uncle David splits the log?
(a) Go to him.
(b) Take a nap.
(c) Go tell Father.
(d) Write it down.
7. What is Mother's reaction to the story of Orud?
(a) She shakes her head.
(b) She laughs.
(c) She cries.
(d) She says she doesn't believe it.
8. What does Wayne say when the axes meet in the middle of the log?
(c) I can't believe it.
9. How does Uncle David say Alen came from the old country?
(a) By ferry.
(b) By boat.
(c) He walked.
(d) By wagon.
10. What is the injury Eldon receives in the fight?
(a) A bloody nose.
(b) A black eye.
(c) A swollen ear.
(d) A cut lip.
11. What is the joke Alen plays on the foreman?
(a) Blocks the outhouse door with a tree.
(b) Sharpens his saw wrong.
(c) Hides the man's boots.
(d) Sews the man's socks closed.
12. What is the final line of Uncle David's story about Crazy Alen?
(a) And everyone laughed.
(b) And that is the story of Crazy Alen.
(c) And no one ever played a better joke.
(d) The end.
13. How old does Uncle David say he was when he heard the story of Orud?
(a) He doesn't say.
14. What does he say her eyes are like?
(b) A lake.
(d) A meadow.
15. What does Wayne want to tell Eldon that morning in their special place?
(a) He plans to run away from home.
(b) He doesn't think David is their uncle.
(c) He has a girlfriend.
(d) Uncle David's stories are lies.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the people of the village believe happens to the boats that sail from their port?
2. What is Alida carrying the first time David sees her?
3. Where is the special place Wayne and Eldon sometimes meet to talk?
4. Orud's helmet is soaked in ______________.
5. Where is the woman held on the way home?
This section contains 528 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)