|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What color are Alida's eyes?
2. What is the story Uncle David tells in the winter room that night?
(a) Only the story of Alida.
(b) A new story neither boy has heard before.
(c) The story of the woodcutter.
(d) He doesn't tell one.
3. How long do Eldon and Wayne watch Uncle David?
(a) Until he rounds the corner of the barn.
(b) Until he sits down on the porch.
(c) Until he's gone inside.
(d) For about twenty minutes.
4. What does Alen do with the cabin door just before he dies?
(a) Burns it.
(b) Opens it.
(c) Blocks it with furniture.
(d) Closes it.
5. What do Eldon and Wayne look through to see Uncle David by the pile of logs out back?
(a) Through their bedroom window.
(b) Through the screen door.
(c) Through a gap in the logs of the barn.
(d) Through the door of the hayloft.
6. According to Uncle David, what is the story of the woodcutter really about?
(a) The differences between then and today.
(b) The cutting of a huge forest.
(c) The method of replanting trees.
(d) A young man.
7. How many of the other stories that Uncle David tells does Eldon say he remembers?
(a) All of them.
8. What does Uncle David say the young woodcutter could do with a match?
(a) Kill a turkey.
(b) Cut it in half so that both halves lit.
(c) Cook an entire meal.
(d) Start a forest fire.
9. What is Wayne's reaction when Father says that the young woodcutter is really Uncle David?
(a) He begins to cry.
(b) He asks Uncle David to show them.
(c) He asks Nels if it's true.
(d) He stiffens and is obviously angry.
10. What does Alida ask David the first time he sees her?
(a) His name.
(b) How he's doing.
(c) Where he's from.
(d) His dog's name.
11. Why does Eldon say he doesn't think death is funny?
(a) He believes in hell.
(b) He remembers his own illness.
(c) He's afraid of what will happen to him after he dies.
(d) Uncle David is so old.
12. Who do the people of the village blame for their troubles?
13. What is Alida carrying the first time David sees her?
(a) A towel and loaves of bread.
(b) A gift.
(c) A pot of soup.
(d) A jar of milk wrapped in a sheet.
14. Where do Eldon and Wayne have a fight a few days after Wayne is angry at Uncle David?
(a) In their bedroom.
(b) In the winter room.
(c) In the hayloft.
(d) In the horse corral.
15. When another man also wants the woman as his wife, how is the argument settled?
(a) Orud and the man draw straws.
(b) Orud and the man fight.
(c) The other men on the ship decide.
(d) The woman chooses.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first story Uncle David tells that night?
2. What does Eldon ask when the story is finished?
3. What does Uncle David say happens to spit in the coldest part of winter?
4. What is the final line of Uncle David's story about Crazy Alen?
5. Why does Mother take a breath when Uncle David finishes the story of Crazy Alen?
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)