|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the foreman get Alen out of the cabin?
(a) He builds a small wagon.
(b) He takes a day to build up his strength.
(c) He summons help.
(d) He uses an ax to widen the door.
2. Why does David say he put the handkerchief on his head when he and Alida were married?
(a) To keep the rice out of his hair.
(b) To indicate he'd be a good husband.
(c) To cover a bad haircut.
(d) To keep the sawdust out of his hair.
3. What does Eldon have for supper near the end of the chapter titled "Crazy Alen?"
(a) Mashed potatoes and gravy.
(b) Roast beef sandwich.
(c) Soup and bread.
(d) Beans, turnips, and turkey.
4. What kind of trouble does Mother say a neighbor is having?
(a) Their cow has gone dry.
(b) They lost all their money in the stock market.
(c) A sick baby in the family.
(d) Their barn burned.
5. What does Alida ask David the first time he sees her?
(a) How he's doing.
(b) Where he's from.
(c) His dog's name.
(d) His name.
6. What is Alida carrying the first time David sees her?
(a) A towel and loaves of bread.
(b) A jar of milk wrapped in a sheet.
(c) A gift.
(d) A pot of soup.
7. Why does Eldon say he doesn't think death is funny?
(a) He believes in hell.
(b) He's afraid of what will happen to him after he dies.
(c) He remembers his own illness.
(d) Uncle David is so old.
8. What is Orud's helmet made of?
9. What does Eldon say Uncle David's hands are like?
(a) Bone or wood.
(b) A child's.
(d) An old woman's.
10. What does Eldon ask when the story is finished?
(a) Where the foreman is now.
(b) How they got Alen into a casket.
(c) How Alen knew he was going to die.
(d) He doesn't ask any question.
11. Where is Uncle David when he encounters the man called Crazy Alen?
(a) Northern Utah.
(b) Camp Coulter.
(c) A camp called Folter.
(d) Fort Shelby.
12. What does Wayne want to tell Eldon that morning in their special place?
(a) He plans to run away from home.
(b) He has a girlfriend.
(c) He doesn't think David is their uncle.
(d) Uncle David's stories are lies.
13. What is the expression on Alen's face when he dies?
(a) He's peaceful.
(b) He's smiling.
(c) He's frowning.
(d) He's sad.
14. How old does Uncle David say he was when he heard the story of Orud?
(b) He doesn't say.
15. How long after Alen dies does the foreman come to the cabin?
(a) Almost a month.
(b) A few hours.
(c) Four days.
(d) A week and a half.
Short Answer Questions
1. Orud's helmet is soaked in ______________.
2. For what does Uncle David say the rivers were used?
3. What do Alen and the foreman drink when they are playing their game?
4. What are some of the troubles that strike the village after Orud's death?
5. What is the joke Alen plays on the foreman?
This section contains 526 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)