|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the blacksmith have to sharpen the plows every summer?
(a) The rocky land dulls the blades.
(b) The plows rust over the winter months.
(c) The plows get dull from being used on frozen ground.
(d) It's the only time Uncle David goes to town.
2. What does Father say that lets Eldon know it's fall?
(a) The leaves are beginning to fall.
(b) Summer is over.
(c) We're going to the lake.
(d) It's fall.
3. According to Eldon, what can be caught in the water trough where everyone washes up for dinner during thrashing time?
(d) A cold.
4. What does Eldon say the buildings and machines look like after the first snow?
5. What color is Eldon's house?
6. What do Eldon and Wayne sleep on?
(a) The couch.
(b) They share a full-sized bed.
(c) Pallets on the floor.
(d) Bunk beds.
7. What kind of chairs do Uncle David and Nels have in the winter room?
(a) Straight back chairs.
(b) Matching blue armchairs.
(c) A couch.
8. What is the first animal to be killed each fall?
(a) A steer.
(c) A pig.
9. How many cleared acres are there on the family's farm?
(b) One hundred twenty.
10. How does Mother keep coffee hot when she takes it for Father's lunch?
(a) She builds a campfire near the field to warm it.
(b) She doesn't, he likes it cold.
(c) She wraps a jar in sacking.
(d) She puts it in a thermos.
11. What time of day does Father leave for the fields?
(a) Just after it gets light.
(b) Around seven in the morning.
(c) Before it gets light.
(d) Around eight-thirty in the morning.
12. What causes Wayne's injury?
(a) Eldon hit him with his fist.
(b) Father hit him to make them stop fighting.
(c) Eldon shoved him into a wall.
(d) Eldon hit him with a board.
13. What is it about going to town that Eldon likes best?
(a) The chance to buy a new comic book.
(b) The time with his dad.
(c) The candy.
(d) The time away from chores.
14. Who turns the crank on the cream separator?
(c) Wayne and Eldon.
(d) Uncle David and Nels.
15. How many people are in Eldon's family?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is upstairs in the barn?
2. What do Eldon and Wayne do with the grain shovels the day after the first snowfall?
3. What does the snow on the elm limb look like?
4. What does Eldon say all the stacks of hay look like in the field?
5. Why does the family sometimes not eat supper until after ten in the summer?
This section contains 489 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)