|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do the pigs run when they escape from their pen?
(a) Across Wayne.
(b) Onto the porch.
(c) All over the barn.
(d) Into the garden.
2. What is upstairs in the barn?
(a) The hayloft.
(b) Storage for grain.
(c) Saddles and farming equipment.
(d) Nothing but dust.
3. What kind of chairs do Uncle David and Nels have in the winter room?
(a) Straight back chairs.
(b) A couch.
(c) Matching blue armchairs.
4. Why do Wayne and Eldon jump on the stacks of hay after it's cut?
(a) To pack it down.
(b) To be sure there aren't any animals hiding in the stacks.
(c) To make sure water can't seep into it.
(d) It's fun.
5. According to Eldon, who can eat "like six young men"?
(a) Uncle David.
(b) Old man Ransen.
6. Why does the family butcher two geese every year?
(a) To restuff the feather mattresses.
(b) To save for Thanksgiving dinner.
(c) To make new pillows.
(d) To save for Christmas dinner.
7. What does Eldon say he likes better than wax teeth?
(a) Peanut butter.
(b) Coca-cola and peanuts.
8. How are the calves fed?
(a) Their mamas feed them.
(b) The book doesn't say.
(c) With a baby bottle.
(d) With a bucket.
9. What does Father say Jim and Stacker's legs are like when they're pulling up stumps?
10. In "Winter," Eldon says that he and Wayne have a fight. What was Eldon's injury from that fight?
(a) A swollen ear.
(b) A bloody nose.
(c) A black eye.
(d) Several bruises.
11. How old is Uncle David?
(c) No one knows.
12. What does Wayne want to do when he grows up?
(a) Play professional baseball.
(b) Teach school.
(c) Be a farmer.
(d) Be a professional writer.
13. Why does Uncle David say the cows get excited when they are given silage?
(a) There is honey mixed with it.
(b) They don't really care.
(c) They are so hungry because it's winter.
(d) They get drunk off of it.
14. What does the snow on the elm limb look like?
(a) A sheet.
(b) A ballerina.
(c) A bunch of limbs.
(d) A snake.
15. Why do the men have to wear handkerchiefs over their noses during thrashing time?
(a) They want to keep cool.
(b) It is a tradition.
(c) They're playing a game.
(d) There is dust.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Wayne's injury from that fight in "Winter?"
2. How long does Mother stay at the quilting bee at the end of fall?
3. What is the book both Uncle David and Nels have by their beds?
4. What does Mother do in the evenings in the winter room?
5. Who says fall is a favorite time of year?
This section contains 453 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)