|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Eldon say he likes better than wax teeth?
(a) Coca-cola and peanuts.
(c) Peanut butter.
2. Which of the animals killed each fall does Eldon say is the worst?
(a) The pig.
(b) The geese.
(c) The chickens.
(d) The steer.
3. Why is the living room called the winter room?
(a) It's used as a bedroom except in the winter.
(b) It's where the family eats in the winter.
(c) It's only warm in the winter.
(d) The family spends the winter there.
4. What do Uncle David and Nels do that makes Eldon think they don't like the killing either?
(a) They stand with their hats in their hands.
(b) They start to cry.
(c) They say they don't like it.
(d) They leave the barnyard until it's over.
5. Why does Uncle David say the cows get excited when they are given silage?
(a) They get drunk off of it.
(b) They are so hungry because it's winter.
(c) They don't really care.
(d) There is honey mixed with it.
6. Who comes to help the family when it's haying time?
(a) No one.
(b) Everyone from miles around.
(c) The Smiths.
(d) The Ransens.
7. How many people are in Eldon's family?
8. Where do Eldon and Wayne put their mittens to dry?
(a) In the dryer.
(b) On the back of the stove.
(c) On the clothesline.
(d) On a peg in the winter room.
9. How old is the farm where the family lives?
(a) No one knows.
(b) At least a hundred.
(c) About twenty years.
(d) The same age as Uncle David.
10. Why does Eldon say the silo is filled with corn?
(a) For seed the coming spring.
(b) For marketing.
(c) For food during the winter.
(d) For feeding the cows.
11. How long does Mother stay at the quilting bee at the end of fall?
(a) All day.
(b) Two hours.
(c) Three hours.
(d) Four hours.
12. What time of day does Father leave for the fields?
(a) Before it gets light.
(b) Just after it gets light.
(c) Around eight-thirty in the morning.
(d) Around seven in the morning.
13. What is the name of the lake where the family goes as fall is just starting?
(a) Golden Pond.
(b) Lake Woebegone.
(c) Jenny's Lake.
(d) Lake Chicamonga.
14. Where does the family dog sleep as fall comes to an end?
(a) In Wayne's room.
(b) In the kitchen.
(c) In the barn.
(d) Under the porch.
15. Why does the blacksmith have to sharpen the plows every summer?
(a) The plows rust over the winter months.
(b) The rocky land dulls the blades.
(c) It's the only time Uncle David goes to town.
(d) The plows get dull from being used on frozen ground.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Mother and Father let Eldon and Wayne jump into the straw pile for hours at a time?
2. What does Father do in the evenings in the winter room?
3. How many cleared acres are there on the family's farm?
4. What does the snow on the elm limb look like?
5. What does Mother do in the evenings in the winter room?
This section contains 525 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)