|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Uncle David say the cows get excited when they are given silage?
(a) There is honey mixed with it.
(b) They don't really care.
(c) They get drunk off of it.
(d) They are so hungry because it's winter.
2. Who turns the crank on the cream separator?
(c) Uncle David and Nels.
(d) Wayne and Eldon.
3. How much does Father say the horses weigh?
(a) He doesn't say.
(b) Close to a hundred pounds each.
(c) A couple of hundred pounds each.
(d) Close to a ton each.
4. What does Wayne want to do when he grows up?
(a) Be a professional writer.
(b) Teach school.
(c) Be a farmer.
(d) Play professional baseball.
5. What is upstairs in the barn?
(a) The hayloft.
(b) Saddles and farming equipment.
(c) Nothing but dust.
(d) Storage for grain.
6. How does Eldon describe the sound he hears when Wayne hits the horse?
(a) Like hitting a rock with a stick.
(b) Like whamming a horse with a kid.
(c) Like smacking a potato with a hammer.
(d) Like slapping a fly on bare skin.
7. Where do Eldon and Wayne put their mittens to dry?
(a) On the back of the stove.
(b) On a peg in the winter room.
(c) In the dryer.
(d) On the clothesline.
8. Why does the family butcher two geese every year?
(a) To restuff the feather mattresses.
(b) To make new pillows.
(c) To save for Christmas dinner.
(d) To save for Thanksgiving dinner.
9. Why does the family sometimes not eat supper until after ten in the summer?
(a) No particular reason.
(b) The work takes so long.
(c) They're often at the lake until dark.
(d) It's too hot for Mother to cook until it's dark.
10. Why do the men have to wear handkerchiefs over their noses during thrashing time?
(a) It is a tradition.
(b) There is dust.
(c) They're playing a game.
(d) They want to keep cool.
11. Why does Mother say she likes Jersey cows better than Holsteins?
(a) There's more cream in a Jersey's milk.
(b) There is less fat in a Jersey's milk.
(c) The Jerseys give more milk.
(d) The Jerseys are gentler.
12. What kind of drink does Mother bring for the picnic at the lake?
(b) Raspberry drink.
13. What does the snow on the elm limb look like?
(a) A bunch of limbs.
(b) A snake.
(c) A sheet.
(d) A ballerina.
14. Why does the blacksmith have to sharpen the plows every summer?
(a) The rocky land dulls the blades.
(b) The plows get dull from being used on frozen ground.
(c) It's the only time Uncle David goes to town.
(d) The plows rust over the winter months.
15. How many people are in Eldon's family?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Wayne and Eldon jump on the stacks of hay after it's cut?
2. Where do the pigs run when they escape from their pen?
3. Why is the corn cultivated several times while it's still young?
4. Uncle David says summer is close to fall, and spring is close to summer. To what season is winter close?
5. What was Mother saying as she rubbed Father's shoulders on the day Eldon sees them behind the barn?
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)