|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the watching public’s response to the execution of Queen Elizabeth’s personal doctor?
2. Which of Will’s plays was being performed during the rebellion by the Earl of Essex?
3. What was a significant innovation in Hamlet that refers to a method of speaking by a particular character?
4. Which of these was NOT an element of patronage during Will’s day?
5. Which popular poet of the day attempted to defend Will and his work?
Short Essay Questions
1. What were some main differences between Will and Christopher Marlowe?
2. When did Will die? Where was he buried?
3. What is Venus and Adonis? What is it about?
4. What great tragedy did Will write in the latter part of his life that centered around a father-daughter relationship?
5. What were the provisions of Will’s will? What object did he leave to his wife?
6. What happened to Will’s financial standing after the production of Hamlet? What was Will able to purchase for his family?
7. What Jewish character did Will create that plays a central role in his play The Merchant of Venice? What play did Christopher Marlowe write that is about a Jew?
8. Describe why Will’s play Richard II was not well-received by Queen Elizabeth.
9. Who was the Earl of Southampton? What impact did he have on Will’s career?
10. Describe Will’s relationship with the Earl of Southampton.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the author’s opinion of Will throughout the book. Would you say that Greenblatt is a fan of Will and his work? What opinion does Greenblatt seem to have of Will’s decisions throughout his life? Does Greenblatt’s opinion of Will change your own opinion of Will?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Will’s own religious preferences. What faith did Will espouse? Did he have sympathy for those of other faiths, or was he intolerant? How was religion presented in his theatrical works? Was there something other than religion that was of utmost importance to Will? How do you know this?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Will’s move to London. What might have provoked his move to London? Why was this move important to his career? What are two specific things that happened in London that had a major impact on Will’s career as a playwright?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)