|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the basic plot of Will’s play Richard II?
2. Both Will and Marlowe utilized main characters in their works from what people group?
3. What happened to the members of the important group of playwrights in London during Will’s day?
4. Which of Will’s famous tragedies was written during the reign of King James?
5. Which of these was another prominent playwright (and likely the leader) within the theater community of Will’s day?
Short Essay Questions
1. What great tragedy did Will write in the latter part of his life that centered around a father-daughter relationship?
2. What were the provisions of Will’s will? What object did he leave to his wife?
3. What was the Globe? What was its significance? Why was it moved to another location?
4. In Chapter 10, the author discusses a personal tragedy that occurred in Will’s life. What was this tragedy? Where did Will go after this tragedy occurred?
5. Who was the Earl of Southampton? What impact did he have on Will’s career?
6. Describe why Will’s play Richard II was not well-received by Queen Elizabeth.
7. How did Robert Greene feel about Will? What did Greene do to express his feelings?
8. Why was Will’s removal of explained motivation for the actions of his characters important?
9. Who ascended to the throne after Queen Elizabeth died? Why was this monarch important to Will’s career?
10. Who defended Will and his work after the criticism voiced by Robert Greene? Why might this person have defended Will?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Will’s own family life. Did he have children? What were their names? How did he appear to feel about his children? Did he enjoy parenting? What choices did he make to illustrate how he felt about his children?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the attitude in England regarding religious freedom. Was there religious freedom? Which faith was persecuted? Which faith was preferred? What was the fate of those who did not comply with the preferred religious preferences? How did this tension impact Will’s life?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Will’s return to Stratford near the end of his life. Why did he return to Stratford? For what reasons did he not want to stay in London? How did this impact his career? Did his move have a negative or positive effect on his work? What relationships drove his decision to move back to Stratford?
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)