|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which member of the important group of playwrights in London was particularly opposed to Will’s success?
2. What was a significant innovation in Hamlet that refers to a method of speaking by a particular character?
3. Where did Will live near the end of his life?
4. In which of Will’s plays does Sir John Falstaff appear?
5. In Chapter 8, the author states that the theaters in London were closed. Why was this the case?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Will’s removal of explained motivation for the actions of his characters important?
2. Describe why Will’s play Richard II was not well-received by Queen Elizabeth.
3. When did Will die? Where was he buried?
4. What Jewish character did Will create that plays a central role in his play The Merchant of Venice? What play did Christopher Marlowe write that is about a Jew?
5. Which character did Will create that seemed to be a reflection of his experiences with both Christopher Marlowe and Robert Greene? What is one trait of this character?
6. Describe Will’s relationship with the Earl of Southampton.
7. In Chapter 10, the author discusses a personal tragedy that occurred in Will’s life. What was this tragedy? Where did Will go after this tragedy occurred?
8. In what ways were Christopher Marlowe and Will similar?
9. What are two main innovations present in Hamlet?
10. What was Will’s response to the fact that Richard II was not well-received by Queen Elizabeth?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Will’s return to Stratford near the end of his life. Why did he return to Stratford? For what reasons did he not want to stay in London? How did this impact his career? Did his move have a negative or positive effect on his work? What relationships drove his decision to move back to Stratford?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the Globe Theater and its importance in Will’s career. Where was the Globe located? Why was it such an important theater? What was Will’s commitment to the Globe? How was this demonstrated?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Will’s relationship with the Earl of Southampton. Who was the Earl? How did Will meet him? Why was the Earl important to Will’s career? What personal relationship, if any, did Will have with the Earl? Give one specific example illustrating your answer.
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)