|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year did Will die?
2. Which is NOT a description of Christopher Marlowe?
3. What was a result of the production of Hamlet?
4. Which of these was NOT one of Will’s early comedies?
5. Which of Will’s tragedies did he write in the latter days of his career?
Short Essay Questions
1. In which of his plays did Will make fun of the works of the members of the prominent group of playwrights in London?
2. What were some main differences between Will and Christopher Marlowe?
3. What was the Globe? What was its significance? Why was it moved to another location?
4. In what ways were Christopher Marlowe and Will similar?
5. Which character did Will create that seemed to be a reflection of his experiences with both Christopher Marlowe and Robert Greene? What is one trait of this character?
6. Describe why Will’s play Richard II was not well-received by Queen Elizabeth.
7. Who was the Earl of Southampton? What impact did he have on Will’s career?
8. When did Will die? Where was he buried?
9. How did Christopher Marlowe die? What is a speculative theory regarding his death?
10. What happened to Will’s financial standing after the production of Hamlet? What was Will able to purchase for his family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define Will’s position in the theatrical world. What was the general opinion of Will and his work during his time? How was his work received in England? What is the general opinion of Will and his work now? How is he perceived in the theatrical community now? What, in your opinion, is the primary reason for his success or failure?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Will’s marriage to Anne Hathaway. What were the circumstances of their meeting and urgent marriage? Did Will appear to have a happy marriage? Why or why not? Give an example from his early life and one from his later life to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Will’s personality. What was he like in his younger years? Did his personality change as he got older? Did he make decisions in his latter years that he would not have made earlier in life? In your opinion, what about his personality contributed to his success as a playwright?
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)