|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Will’s family living while he was in London?
2. Which of Will’s tragedies did he write in the latter days of his career?
3. Which of these is a writing technique that Will used in writing Hamlet?
4. Which of these prominent playwrights died last?
5. Which play did Will write that contains an important Jewish character (Shylock)?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Will’s removal of explained motivation for the actions of his characters important?
2. What was the Globe? What was its significance? Why was it moved to another location?
3. In which of his plays did Will make fun of the works of the members of the prominent group of playwrights in London?
4. When did Will die? Where was he buried?
5. Who ascended to the throne after Queen Elizabeth died? Why was this monarch important to Will’s career?
6. Describe Will’s relationship with the Earl of Southampton.
7. What is Venus and Adonis? What is it about?
8. What happened to Will’s financial standing after the production of Hamlet? What was Will able to purchase for his family?
9. Why did Will return to Stratford in the latter years of his life?
10. Describe why Will’s play Richard II was not well-received by Queen Elizabeth.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the local country festivals of Will’s time. What were the themes of these local festivals? Why were they celebrated? Why would Will have attended these festivals? What impact did they have on his later work?
Essay Topic 2
Define the methods of recreation in London during Will’s day. What types of activities were used for recreation? Where did these activities primarily take place? What impact did these activities have on Will’s career and on his success? How are these activities different from recreational activities today?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Will’s marriage to Anne Hathaway. What were the circumstances of their meeting and urgent marriage? Did Will appear to have a happy marriage? Why or why not? Give an example from his early life and one from his later life to support your answer.
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)