|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Chapter 8 focuses mostly on Will’s…
2. Which of Will’s plays was being performed during the rebellion by the Earl of Essex?
3. Which of these prominent playwrights died last?
4. What was Will’s future patron determined NOT to do?
5. What is the basic plot of Will’s play Richard II?
Short Essay Questions
1. What Jewish character did Will create that plays a central role in his play The Merchant of Venice? What play did Christopher Marlowe write that is about a Jew?
2. What were the provisions of Will’s will? What object did he leave to his wife?
3. In what ways were Christopher Marlowe and Will similar?
4. Describe Will’s relationship with the Earl of Southampton.
5. Why was Will’s removal of explained motivation for the actions of his characters important?
6. Describe the prominent group of playwrights in London during Will’s day. Name two of the members of this group.
7. What were some main differences between Will and Christopher Marlowe?
8. What are two main innovations present in Hamlet?
9. Describe why Will’s play Richard II was not well-received by Queen Elizabeth.
10. What was the Globe? What was its significance? Why was it moved to another location?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Will’s personality. What was he like in his younger years? Did his personality change as he got older? Did he make decisions in his latter years that he would not have made earlier in life? In your opinion, what about his personality contributed to his success as a playwright?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the different locations in which Will lived throughout his life. In what specific towns or cities did Will live? What were some similarities and differences that these locations had with one another? What is one specific impact that each location had on Will’s career?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the attitude in England regarding religious freedom. Was there religious freedom? Which faith was persecuted? Which faith was preferred? What was the fate of those who did not comply with the preferred religious preferences? How did this tension impact Will’s life?
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)