|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom did Will leave all of his property in his will?
2. In Chapter 12, what does the author suggest that Will feared?
3. Which of Will’s characters in Macbeth was a reinvention of one of King James’ ancestors?
4. What object did Will leave to his wife after his death?
5. Which of these descriptions does NOT reflect Will’s relationship with the Globe Theater?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which character did Will create that seemed to be a reflection of his experiences with both Christopher Marlowe and Robert Greene? What is one trait of this character?
2. What were some main differences between Will and Christopher Marlowe?
3. What happened to Will’s financial standing after the production of Hamlet? What was Will able to purchase for his family?
4. When did Will die? Where was he buried?
5. What are two main innovations present in Hamlet?
6. Chapter 9 describes how Queen Elizabeth’s doctor was executed publicly. How did the watching crowd respond? How did this response affect Will’s later works?
7. In Chapter 10, the author discusses a personal tragedy that occurred in Will’s life. What was this tragedy? Where did Will go after this tragedy occurred?
8. In what ways were Christopher Marlowe and Will similar?
9. What was Will’s response to the fact that Richard II was not well-received by Queen Elizabeth?
10. Describe Will’s relationship with the Earl of Southampton.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Will’s own family life. Did he have children? What were their names? How did he appear to feel about his children? Did he enjoy parenting? What choices did he make to illustrate how he felt about his children?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the religious and political climate of England in Will’s day. How were religion and politics related? Was there complete freedom in religion and politics? Why or why not? Give two specific examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Will’s marriage to Anne Hathaway. What were the circumstances of their meeting and urgent marriage? Did Will appear to have a happy marriage? Why or why not? Give an example from his early life and one from his later life to support your answer.
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)