|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of Will’s mother?
2. Which of these was NOT a major location of recreation in London during Will’s day?
3. In which of Will’s plays are husbands portrayed as neglecting their wives?
4. Chapter 5 ends with a discussion of…
5. Who is NOT an example of a villainous character in Will’s later work that stemmed from exposure to plays in his younger years?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Will’s father, John Shakespeare, influenced Will’s exposure to theater at a young age.
2. It is interesting to note that Will had an aversion to producing signed documents. Why was this the case?
3. What was the character of John Shakespeare? Was he an upstanding citizen?
4. What types of things would Will have needed to learn in order to be a successful actor in his day?
5. Describe the political climate in London during Will’s day. How were “traitors” treated?
6. In what language was Will’s education conducted? Was this common?
7. What was another way that Will would have been exposed to theater as a young child?
8. Describe the community in which Will grew up. Was it in a rural area? Was it in a big city?
9. What two personal conclusions did Will draw as a result of his relationship with Edmund Campion?
10. Who was Sir Thomas Lucy? What was Will’s relationship with him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Will’s move to London. What might have provoked his move to London? Why was this move important to his career? What are two specific things that happened in London that had a major impact on Will’s career as a playwright?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the influential group of playwrights that lived in London during Will’s day. What were the names of two of the members of this group? What characteristics did these men exhibit? Did Will fit in with this group? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the attitude in England regarding religious freedom. Was there religious freedom? Which faith was persecuted? Which faith was preferred? What was the fate of those who did not comply with the preferred religious preferences? How did this tension impact Will’s life?
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)