|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Will licensed for during the time that he lived in Stratford?
2. Where did Will possibly live between the time of his school days and his marriage?
3. Who was primarily responsible for the loss of social standing in Will’s family?
4. What important thing was developed in Will through his early education?
5. Choose the phrase that most accurately describes Will’s wife.
Short Essay Questions
1. What influence did Will’s education have on his later work as a playwright?
2. Who was Edmund Campion? What faith was he devoted to?
3. Describe the prevalent attitude of theater owners during this time. What was their primary concern?
4. Who was Will’s mother? What was her family background?
5. Who was Richard Field? Why was Will’s relationship with him important?
6. Describe the relationship between Brutus and Portia in Will’s play Julius Caesar. Is this relationship healthy or unhealthy? Why is it an important indicator of how Will depicted marriage in his plays?
7. Did Will and his wife have a happy, fulfilling marriage? Discuss evidences to support your answer.
8. In Will’s day, what was London like inside the ancient Roman wall that surrounded the city? What was London like outside that same wall?
9. Why might Will have engaged in deer poaching? Were there social implications for this activity?
10. Why did John Shakespeare try to purchase a coat of arms for his family? Was he successful?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Will’s relationship with the Earl of Southampton. Who was the Earl? How did Will meet him? Why was the Earl important to Will’s career? What personal relationship, if any, did Will have with the Earl? Give one specific example illustrating your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Will’s own family life. Did he have children? What were their names? How did he appear to feel about his children? Did he enjoy parenting? What choices did he make to illustrate how he felt about his children?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the influential group of playwrights that lived in London during Will’s day. What were the names of two of the members of this group? What characteristics did these men exhibit? Did Will fit in with this group? Why or why not?
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)