|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What aspect of social life was very important in Will’s time?
2. In Chapter 3, what occupation is presented as one that Will might have done while living in Lancashire?
3. Which member of Will’s family seemed to be sympathetic towards Roman Catholics and militant Protestants?
4. Chapter 3 begins with a discussion of…
5. Which of these is a skill that Will needed to learn in order to be successful as an actor?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Will’s wife? What was her financial standing? What religious preference did she likely have?
2. Describe the political climate in London during Will’s day. How were “traitors” treated?
3. Was it dangerous for people to travel by road in Will’s day? What did they need for safe passage?
4. In Will’s day, what was London like inside the ancient Roman wall that surrounded the city? What was London like outside that same wall?
5. What types of things would Will have needed to learn in order to be a successful actor in his day?
6. Describe the community in which Will grew up. Was it in a rural area? Was it in a big city?
7. It is interesting to note that Will had an aversion to producing signed documents. Why was this the case?
8. Describe how Will’s father, John Shakespeare, influenced Will’s exposure to theater at a young age.
9. What two personal conclusions did Will draw as a result of his relationship with Edmund Campion?
10. Describe the school environment in which Will was educated. What things were unique about his education?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the local country festivals of Will’s time. What were the themes of these local festivals? Why were they celebrated? Why would Will have attended these festivals? What impact did they have on his later work?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Will’s marriage to Anne Hathaway. What were the circumstances of their meeting and urgent marriage? Did Will appear to have a happy marriage? Why or why not? Give an example from his early life and one from his later life to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the influential group of playwrights that lived in London during Will’s day. What were the names of two of the members of this group? What characteristics did these men exhibit? Did Will fit in with this group? Why or why not?
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)