|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a possible evidence for John’s Shakespeare’s suspected alcoholism?
2. The urgency of Will’s marriage is reflected in two characters from which of his plays?
3. Where did Richard Field live?
4. In Chapter 3, what occupation is presented as one that Will might have done while living in Lancashire?
5. Who was the prominent and hunted Catholic leader that Will met during this time?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Sir Thomas Lucy? What was Will’s relationship with him?
2. In what language was Will’s education conducted? Was this common?
3. Describe the community in which Will grew up. Was it in a rural area? Was it in a big city?
4. Who was Richard Field? Why was Will’s relationship with him important?
5. Why did John Shakespeare try to purchase a coat of arms for his family? Was he successful?
6. Who was Edmund Campion? What faith was he devoted to?
7. Describe the careers, both legal and illegal, of John Shakespeare.
8. List 3 popular forms of entertainment in London during Will’s time.
9. Was it dangerous for people to travel by road in Will’s day? What did they need for safe passage?
10. Discuss the possible reason for Will’s hasty marriage and identify which of Will’s plays reflects the same urgency between a male and female character.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Will’s own family life. Did he have children? What were their names? How did he appear to feel about his children? Did he enjoy parenting? What choices did he make to illustrate how he felt about his children?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the local country festivals of Will’s time. What were the themes of these local festivals? Why were they celebrated? Why would Will have attended these festivals? What impact did they have on his later work?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the influential group of playwrights that lived in London during Will’s day. What were the names of two of the members of this group? What characteristics did these men exhibit? Did Will fit in with this group? Why or why not?
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)