|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What activity did Will try to avoid while living in London?
2. What play did Will likely see upon his arrival in London?
3. Will’s involvement in what group is discussed in Chapter 5?
4. What trait is characteristic of all Will’s rural characters?
5. What is a possible evidence for John’s Shakespeare’s suspected alcoholism?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Will’s mother? What was her family background?
2. Describe the prevalent attitude of theater owners during this time. What was their primary concern?
3. Describe the relationship between Brutus and Portia in Will’s play Julius Caesar. Is this relationship healthy or unhealthy? Why is it an important indicator of how Will depicted marriage in his plays?
4. What was the character of John Shakespeare? Was he an upstanding citizen?
5. Why would Will’s continued relationship with Edmund Campion have been a hindrance for his career?
6. What are some possible reasons for Will’s leaving Stratford and going to London?
7. Did Will and his wife have a happy, fulfilling marriage? Discuss evidences to support your answer.
8. What types of things would Will have needed to learn in order to be a successful actor in his day?
9. Describe the political climate in London during Will’s day. How were “traitors” treated?
10. Describe Will’s involvement with “The Queen’s Men.” Why was his involvement with this group important to his career?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define the environment of Will’s early years. What are some specifics of his early education? What is the town like in which he grew up? What impact did his education and the atmosphere of his town have on his theatrical works?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the attitude in England regarding religious freedom. Was there religious freedom? Which faith was persecuted? Which faith was preferred? What was the fate of those who did not comply with the preferred religious preferences? How did this tension impact Will’s life?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Will’s father and mother. Who were they? What information is given about them? In your opinion, did they have a major impact on Will’s later career as a playwright? Give at least one specific example to support your answer.
This section contains 886 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)