|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What position did Will’s father, John, hold in Stratford?
2. What was a popular way of teaching students in Will’s school?
3. What word or phrase does NOT describe life inside the ancient Roman wall surrounding London in Will’s day?
4. Where did Richard Field live?
5. In what city did Will live next?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Tamburlaine the Great? Who wrote it? Why was it significant?
2. Describe the prevalent attitude of theater owners during this time. What was their primary concern?
3. Did Will ever refer to Anne in his writings? Why or why not?
4. What two personal conclusions did Will draw as a result of his relationship with Edmund Campion?
5. Did Will and his wife have a happy, fulfilling marriage? Discuss evidences to support your answer.
6. Describe the school environment in which Will was educated. What things were unique about his education?
7. Discuss the possible reason for Will’s hasty marriage and identify which of Will’s plays reflects the same urgency between a male and female character.
8. Who was Richard Field? Why was Will’s relationship with him important?
9. What was a remarkable characteristic about the villain Tamburlaine in Tamburlaine the Great? Why was this characteristic remarkable?
10. Why might Will have engaged in deer poaching? Were there social implications for this activity?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define some main themes of Will’s works. What are two main themes that are consistently seen throughout Will’s theatrical works? Why, in your opinion, does he choose each of these themes? What might have influenced him in selecting these themes? List a play that exemplifies each of the themes you have chosen to discuss.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the Globe Theater and its importance in Will’s career. Where was the Globe located? Why was it such an important theater? What was Will’s commitment to the Globe? How was this demonstrated?
Essay Topic 3
Define Will’s position in the theatrical world. What was the general opinion of Will and his work during his time? How was his work received in England? What is the general opinion of Will and his work now? How is he perceived in the theatrical community now? What, in your opinion, is the primary reason for his success or failure?
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)