|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What characteristic was prevalent among theaters during Will’s day?
2. In what country is Stratford located?
3. Which of Will’s plays does NOT include a reference to gloves?
4. What suggestion is made in Chapter 4 regarding the representation of parenting in Will’s theatrical works?
5. Chapter 5 ends with a discussion of…
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the possible reason for Will’s hasty marriage and identify which of Will’s plays reflects the same urgency between a male and female character.
2. What was Tamburlaine the Great? Who wrote it? Why was it significant?
3. Who was Will’s mother? What was her family background?
4. Describe the political climate in London during Will’s day. How were “traitors” treated?
5. Who was Richard Field? Why was Will’s relationship with him important?
6. What are some possible reasons for Will’s leaving Stratford and going to London?
7. Describe the community in which Will grew up. Was it in a rural area? Was it in a big city?
8. Did Will and his wife have a happy, fulfilling marriage? Discuss evidences to support your answer.
9. In Will’s day, what was London like inside the ancient Roman wall that surrounded the city? What was London like outside that same wall?
10. Did Will ever refer to Anne in his writings? Why or why not?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Will’s move to London. What might have provoked his move to London? Why was this move important to his career? What are two specific things that happened in London that had a major impact on Will’s career as a playwright?
Essay Topic 2
Define the methods of recreation in London during Will’s day. What types of activities were used for recreation? Where did these activities primarily take place? What impact did these activities have on Will’s career and on his success? How are these activities different from recreational activities today?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the local country festivals of Will’s time. What were the themes of these local festivals? Why were they celebrated? Why would Will have attended these festivals? What impact did they have on his later work?
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)