|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year did Will die?
2. What object did Will leave to his wife after his death?
(a) All of his money
(b) The family home
(c) His personal sword
(d) His second-best bed
3. Will’s plays are considered to be…
(a) Important religious documents
(b) Deep studies of human nature
(c) Mere stories
(d) Terrible examples of writing
4. What is the name of an epic poem that Will wrote?
(a) As You Like It
(c) Venus and Adonis
(d) Come to Me
5. Which play does NOT demonstrate a focus on the father-daughter relationship?
(a) King Lear
(c) Twelfth Night
(d) The Tempest
Short Answer Questions
1. Which best describes the relationship between Will and Christopher Marlowe?
2. Describe Queen Elizabeth’s reaction to Richard II.
3. What theater was at the center of a dispute described in Chapter 10?
4. What phrase best describes the Earl of Southampton?
5. Which character in one of Will’s works especially reflects the encounters that Will had with two of the members of the important group of playwrights in London?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Will’s relationship with the Earl of Southampton.
2. Chapter 9 describes how Queen Elizabeth’s doctor was executed publicly. How did the watching crowd respond? How did this response affect Will’s later works?
3. Describe why Will’s play Richard II was not well-received by Queen Elizabeth.
4. What is Venus and Adonis? What is it about?
5. Why did Will not fit in with the prominent group of playwrights in London? How were they different from him?
6. Why was Will’s removal of explained motivation for the actions of his characters important?
7. How did Christopher Marlowe die? What is a speculative theory regarding his death?
8. What Jewish character did Will create that plays a central role in his play The Merchant of Venice? What play did Christopher Marlowe write that is about a Jew?
9. In which of his plays did Will make fun of the works of the members of the prominent group of playwrights in London?
10. In what ways were Christopher Marlowe and Will similar?
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)