|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was a significant innovation in Hamlet that refers to a method of speaking by a particular character?
(a) The soliloquy
(b) The use of foreshadowing
(c) The act of speaking in another language
(d) The epic poem
2. What genre was NOT produced by both Will and Christopher Marlowe?
(a) Full-length novels
(b) Epic poems
(c) Historical dramas
3. What name was given to Will’s troupe during the reign of King James?
(a) The Queen's Men
(b) The King's Men
(c) The Earl's Pride
(d) The Court's Men
4. In Chapter 12, what does the author suggest that Will feared?
(a) The king's wrath
(c) Financial ruin
(d) Old age
5. Who did the Earl of Southampton eventually marry?
(a) Will’s sister
(b) One of the queen’s maids
(c) Will’s daughter
(d) A princess from France
Short Answer Questions
1. Which young aristocrat eventually became Will’s patron?
2. Which of Will’s plays was being performed during the rebellion by the Earl of Essex?
3. What is thought to have been the motivation behind Will’s bequeathment of his second-best bed to his wife?
4. Which important person in Will’s life supported the rebellion against the queen led by the Earl of Essex?
5. Why did Will leave London to return to Stratford?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who defended Will and his work after the criticism voiced by Robert Greene? Why might this person have defended Will?
2. What are two main innovations present in Hamlet?
3. What was the Globe? What was its significance? Why was it moved to another location?
4. What happened to Will’s financial standing after the production of Hamlet? What was Will able to purchase for his family?
5. Why did Will not fit in with the prominent group of playwrights in London? How were they different from him?
6. What is Venus and Adonis? What is it about?
7. What Jewish character did Will create that plays a central role in his play The Merchant of Venice? What play did Christopher Marlowe write that is about a Jew?
8. How did Robert Greene feel about Will? What did Greene do to express his feelings?
9. Chapter 9 describes how Queen Elizabeth’s doctor was executed publicly. How did the watching crowd respond? How did this response affect Will’s later works?
10. In which of his plays did Will make fun of the works of the members of the prominent group of playwrights in London?
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)