|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What circumstance heavily influenced the writing of Hamlet?
(a) The death of Will’s son
(b) The birth of Will’s daughter
(c) The death of Will’s wife
(d) Will’s impending death
2. What did Will publish in rebuttal of Robert Greene’s written attacks?
(a) A letter
(b) A play
(d) A public announcement
3. What was a significant innovation in Hamlet that refers to a method of speaking by a particular character?
(a) The soliloquy
(b) The act of speaking in another language
(c) The use of foreshadowing
(d) The epic poem
4. Who did the Earl of Southampton eventually marry?
(a) One of the queen’s maids
(b) Will’s daughter
(c) Will’s sister
(d) A princess from France
5. Both Will and Marlowe utilized main characters in their works from what people group?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of Will’s tragedies did he write in the latter days of his career?
2. Which best describes the relationship between Will and Christopher Marlowe?
3. Which young aristocrat eventually became Will’s patron?
4. Chapter 12 focuses on…
5. During the production of which of Will’s plays did the Globe Theater burn down?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which character did Will create that seemed to be a reflection of his experiences with both Christopher Marlowe and Robert Greene? What is one trait of this character?
2. Who was the Earl of Southampton? What impact did he have on Will’s career?
3. What are two main innovations present in Hamlet?
4. How did Christopher Marlowe die? What is a speculative theory regarding his death?
5. Describe why Will’s play Richard II was not well-received by Queen Elizabeth.
6. What were the provisions of Will’s will? What object did he leave to his wife?
7. Who ascended to the throne after Queen Elizabeth died? Why was this monarch important to Will’s career?
8. In what ways were Christopher Marlowe and Will similar?
9. What was Will’s response to the fact that Richard II was not well-received by Queen Elizabeth?
10. Describe Will’s relationship with the Earl of Southampton.
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)