|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of these descriptions does NOT reflect Will’s relationship with the Globe Theater?
(a) Chief critic
(b) Principal playwright
(c) Important actor
(d) Key investor
2. Which monarch ascended to the throne after the death of Queen Elizabeth?
(a) Queen Elizabeth II
(b) King James I
(c) King Henry IV
(d) King Richard II
3. What was Will’s future patron determined NOT to do?
(c) Become ill
(d) Become injured while riding horses
4. Both Will and Marlowe utilized main characters in their works from what people group?
5. Which of these was NOT one of Will’s early comedies?
(a) The Comedy of Errors
(b) The Taming of the Shrew
(c) Two Gentleman of Verona
(d) King Lear
Short Answer Questions
1. In which play did Will NOT poke fun at the members of the prominent group of playwrights in London during his day?
2. Who took Robert Greene in so that he did not have to die on the streets of London?
3. What happened to the Earl of Essex?
4. Which of Will’s tragedies did he write in the latter days of his career?
5. What did Will publish in rebuttal of Robert Greene’s written attacks?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to Will’s financial standing after the production of Hamlet? What was Will able to purchase for his family?
2. What are two main innovations present in Hamlet?
3. In what ways were Christopher Marlowe and Will similar?
4. Describe Will’s relationship with the Earl of Southampton.
5. Who was the Earl of Southampton? What impact did he have on Will’s career?
6. What is Venus and Adonis? What is it about?
7. Why did Will return to Stratford in the latter years of his life?
8. What Jewish character did Will create that plays a central role in his play The Merchant of Venice? What play did Christopher Marlowe write that is about a Jew?
9. How did Christopher Marlowe die? What is a speculative theory regarding his death?
10. Which character did Will create that seemed to be a reflection of his experiences with both Christopher Marlowe and Robert Greene? What is one trait of this character?
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)