|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of these was a prominent playwright within the theater community of Will’s day?
(a) Sir Thomas Lucy
(b) Christopher Marlowe
(c) Edmund Campion
(d) Richard Field
2. To whom did Will leave all of his property in his will?
(a) To his wife Anne
(b) To his daughter Judith
(c) To his daughter Susanna
(d) To his son Hamnet
3. What was Will’s future patron determined NOT to do?
(b) Become ill
(c) Become injured while riding horses
4. Which description does NOT fit the members of the important group of playwrights in London during Will’s day?
(a) University educated
(b) Outcasts from their families
(c) Intent upon making a mark in theater
(d) Generous and mild
5. What name was given to Will’s troupe during the reign of King James?
(a) The Court's Men
(b) The Earl's Pride
(c) The King's Men
(d) The Queen's Men
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of Will’s children experienced marital troubles?
2. What theater was at the center of a dispute described in Chapter 10?
3. What activities did the important group of playwrights in London spend much money and time doing?
4. Which of Will’s characters in Macbeth was a reinvention of one of King James’ ancestors?
5. What situation did Will leave behind in London when he went to Stratford?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which character did Will create that seemed to be a reflection of his experiences with both Christopher Marlowe and Robert Greene? What is one trait of this character?
2. Who was the Earl of Southampton? What impact did he have on Will’s career?
3. Describe why Will’s play Richard II was not well-received by Queen Elizabeth.
4. How did Robert Greene feel about Will? What did Greene do to express his feelings?
5. Why did Will return to Stratford in the latter years of his life?
6. What Jewish character did Will create that plays a central role in his play The Merchant of Venice? What play did Christopher Marlowe write that is about a Jew?
7. In what ways were Christopher Marlowe and Will similar?
8. Describe the prominent group of playwrights in London during Will’s day. Name two of the members of this group.
9. What happened to Will’s financial standing after the production of Hamlet? What was Will able to purchase for his family?
10. What are two main innovations present in Hamlet?
This section contains 778 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)