|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What aspect of social life was very important in Will’s time?
2. Which of these things was NOT an aspect of deer poaching during Will’s day?
(a) It was a test of cleverness
(b) It was a test of language
(c) It was a test of manhood
(d) It was a test of skill
3. What appears to be a driving force behind Will’s hasty marriage?
(a) Career opportunities
(d) Weather conditions
4. Will’s early education was most likely conducted in what language?
5. John Shakespeare was unable to send Will to…
Short Answer Questions
1. Will attended a school that was most likely for…
2. What phrase best describes life outside the ancient Roman wall surrounding London in Will’s day?
3. In what country is Stratford located?
4. The relationship that Will had with what person enabled him to gain more knowledge and have greater access to books?
5. Who is NOT an example of a villainous character in Will’s later work that stemmed from exposure to plays in his younger years?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Richard Field? Why was Will’s relationship with him important?
2. It is interesting to note that Will had an aversion to producing signed documents. Why was this the case?
3. Describe the school environment in which Will was educated. What things were unique about his education?
4. What are some possible reasons for Will’s leaving Stratford and going to London?
5. What two personal conclusions did Will draw as a result of his relationship with Edmund Campion?
6. Did Will and his wife have a happy, fulfilling marriage? Discuss evidences to support your answer.
7. Describe the prevalent attitude of theater owners during this time. What was their primary concern?
8. Describe the general feelings towards Roman Catholics during the England of Will’s day.
9. Why did John Shakespeare try to purchase a coat of arms for his family? Was he successful?
10. In Will’s day, what was London like inside the ancient Roman wall that surrounded the city? What was London like outside that same wall?
This section contains 817 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)