|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What particular aspect did the public want in their plays during Will’s day?
(d) Human dignity
2. The relationship that Will had with what person enabled him to gain more knowledge and have greater access to books?
(a) Edmund Campion
(b) Richard Field
(c) Robert Greene
(d) Christopher Marlowe
3. Which theme in Will’s later works likely stemmed from his family life?
(a) Loss of status and its restoration
(b) Political activism
(c) Maintaining a good marriage
(d) Criminal activity
4. Which of Will’s plays was particularly influenced by the work of Christopher Marlowe?
(a) King Lear
(b) Henry VI
(d) Romeo and Juliet
5. Where did Will possibly live between the time of his school days and his marriage?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of Will’s mother?
2. Which of these things was NOT an aspect of deer poaching during Will’s day?
3. Which play is presented in Chapter 5 as portraying Will’s empathy with citizens of the lower classes?
4. Chapter 1 focuses largely on the importance of…
5. Will attended a school that was most likely for…
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Richard Field? Why was Will’s relationship with him important?
2. What types of things would Will have needed to learn in order to be a successful actor in his day?
3. Who was Will’s wife? What was her financial standing? What religious preference did she likely have?
4. Did Will ever refer to Anne in his writings? Why or why not?
5. Describe the community in which Will grew up. Was it in a rural area? Was it in a big city?
6. Describe Will’s involvement with “The Queen’s Men.” Why was his involvement with this group important to his career?
7. What was a remarkable characteristic about the villain Tamburlaine in Tamburlaine the Great? Why was this characteristic remarkable?
8. Why might Will have engaged in deer poaching? Were there social implications for this activity?
9. Describe the general feelings towards Roman Catholics during the England of Will’s day.
10. Describe the careers, both legal and illegal, of John Shakespeare.
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)