|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What object did Will finally obtain that was a status symbol for his family?
(a) An engraved silver sword
(b) A large flock of sheep
(c) A coat of arms
(d) A large carriage
2. What was the name of Will’s wife?
(a) Juliet Greene
(b) Mary Arden
(c) Rosalie Campion
(d) Anne Hathaway
3. What position did Will’s father, John, hold in Stratford?
4. What appears to be a driving force behind Will’s hasty marriage?
(b) Weather conditions
(d) Career opportunities
5. Which of Will’s plays does NOT include a reference to gloves?
(b) Twelfth Night
(d) Midsummer Night's Dream
Short Answer Questions
1. Chapter 5 begins with an examination of…
2. Will’s wife was likely of what faith?
3. Where did Will go, apparently in retreat, shortly after his marriage?
4. Where did Will meet his future wife?
5. In which of Will’s plays do characters get married because of an unhealthy obsession?
Short Essay Questions
1. What influence did Will’s education have on his later work as a playwright?
2. What are some possible reasons for Will’s leaving Stratford and going to London?
3. Why would John Shakespeare’s fall into disrepute have been bothersome to Will?
4. Discuss the possible reason for Will’s hasty marriage and identify which of Will’s plays reflects the same urgency between a male and female character.
5. Describe the school environment in which Will was educated. What things were unique about his education?
6. Did Will ever refer to Anne in his writings? Why or why not?
7. What was Tamburlaine the Great? Who wrote it? Why was it significant?
8. Who was Edmund Campion? What faith was he devoted to?
9. In Will’s day, what was London like inside the ancient Roman wall that surrounded the city? What was London like outside that same wall?
10. What was another way that Will would have been exposed to theater as a young child?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)