|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What object did Will leave to his wife after his death?
(a) The family home
(b) His personal sword
(c) All of his money
(d) His second-best bed
2. Why did Will leave London to return to Stratford?
(a) To raise money
(b) To attend church regularly
(c) To go to the doctor
(d) To attend a funeral
3. What genre was NOT produced by both Will and Christopher Marlowe?
(a) Epic poems
(b) Historical dramas
(d) Full-length novels
4. Which description does NOT fit the members of the important group of playwrights in London during Will’s day?
(a) Intent upon making a mark in theater
(b) Generous and mild
(c) Outcasts from their families
(d) University educated
5. Which of these monarchs reigned during Will’s career and loved theater the MOST?
(a) King James
(b) King Henry
(c) Queen Victoria
(d) Queen Elizabeth
6. Which play does NOT demonstrate a focus on the father-daughter relationship?
(a) The Tempest
(c) Twelfth Night
(d) King Lear
7. In Chapter 8, the author states that the theaters in London were closed. Why was this the case?
(a) Because of church sanctions
(b) Because of the plague
(c) Because of political unrest
(d) Because of financial woes
8. What happened to the members of the important group of playwrights in London during Will’s day?
(a) They all died
(b) They all conspired to assassinate Will in the method of Julius Caesar
(c) They all left the country
(d) They all joined the Church
9. What technique does the author use at the beginning of Chapter 9?
(b) Intended forgetfulness
10. What is the name of another epic poem that Will wrote?
(a) As You Like It
(d) The Rape of Lucrece
11. With whom did Will want to be united near the end of his life?
(a) His son Hamnet
(b) His wife Anne
(c) His daughter Susanna
(d) His daughter Judith
12. What activities did the important group of playwrights in London spend much money and time doing?
(a) Drinking and partying
(b) Building theaters
(c) Helping the poor
(d) Traveling abroad
13. In which of Will’s plays does Sir John Falstaff appear?
(c) Henry VI
(d) Henry IV
14. Where was Will’s family living while he was in London?
15. Which of these is a writing technique that Will used in writing Hamlet?
(a) Rewriting of an earlier play
(b) Intentional forgetfulness of characters
(d) Group writing
Short Answer Questions
1. What theater was at the center of a dispute described in Chapter 10?
2. Which person associated with Queen Elizabeth was executed on accusations of heresy and treason?
3. Which important person in Will’s life supported the rebellion against the queen led by the Earl of Essex?
4. Will’s acquisition of more land in Stratford enabled him to be considered a…
5. What did Will buy for his family in Stratford during this time?
This section contains 489 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)