|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which is a likely description of Will’s marriage?
(c) Unhappy and unfulfilled
(d) Happy and fulfilled
2. In which of Will’s plays do characters get married because of an unhealthy obsession?
(a) Midsummer Night's Dream
3. Chapter 3 begins with a discussion of…
(a) The health challenges prevalent during Will’s time
(b) The dangers of traveling by road during Will’s day
(c) The type of clothes Will would have worn
(d) The typical rural English household
4. The urgency of Will’s marriage is reflected in two characters from which of his plays?
(a) Romeo and Juliet
(b) Henry IV
(c) King Lear
5. Which of Will’s plays does NOT discuss loss of social status?
(a) Romeo and Juliet
(b) Twelfth Night
(c) The Merchant of Venice
(d) The Tempest
6. Where did Will go after leaving the county where he met Campion?
7. What does Tamburlaine the Great contain that impacted Will’s own writing?
(a) Massive spectacles
(b) Epic poems
(c) Mean characters
8. Who is NOT an example of a villainous character in Will’s later work that stemmed from exposure to plays in his younger years?
9. Which character in Will’s Titus Andronicus was treated in a particularly horrific way?
(b) King Lear
10. Chapter 1 gives the most information about Will’s…
11. What word or phrase does NOT describe life inside the ancient Roman wall surrounding London in Will’s day?
(d) Awful smells
12. What was Will’s home town?
13. What is another aspect of Will’s early life that impacted his later theatrical career?
(a) Studying with renowned playwrights of his day
(b) Attending local festivals at which plays were presented
(c) Being selected as the winner of a national contest
(d) Traveling extensively outside of his home town
14. Who was the prominent and hunted Catholic leader that Will met during this time?
(a) Robert Greene
(b) Christopher Marlowe
(c) John Shakespeare
(d) Edmund Campion
15. Which of these was NOT a major location of recreation in London during Will’s day?
(a) Bear-baiting pits
(c) Horse tracks
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a possible evidence for John’s Shakespeare’s suspected alcoholism?
2. Chapter 6 begins with a discussion of…
3. What characteristic of Campion might have hindered Will’s future work in theater?
4. What appears to be a driving force behind Will’s hasty marriage?
5. Who wrote Tamburlaine the Great?
This section contains 463 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)