|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who wrote Tamburlaine the Great?
(a) Christopher Marlowe
(b) Robert Greene
(c) Anne Hathaway
(d) Sir Thomas Lucy
2. Which of these is a skill that Will needed to learn in order to be successful as an actor?
(a) The ability to speak many other languages
(b) The ability to run very fast
(c) The ability to cook well
(d) The ability to use a sword effectively
3. Which theme in Will’s later works likely stemmed from his family life?
(a) Maintaining a good marriage
(b) Criminal activity
(c) Political activism
(d) Loss of status and its restoration
4. In which of Will’s plays do characters get married because of an unhealthy obsession?
(d) Midsummer Night's Dream
5. Who is NOT an example of a villainous character in Will’s later work that stemmed from exposure to plays in his younger years?
6. Which of these things was NOT an aspect of deer poaching during Will’s day?
(a) It was a test of cleverness
(b) It was a test of manhood
(c) It was a test of skill
(d) It was a test of language
7. Why did Will try to avoid writing incriminating documents?
(a) He did not have much physical strength
(b) He was too busy with other things
(c) He had a personal conviction against this activity
(d) He was afraid of being accused of treason
8. John Shakespeare was unable to send Will to…
9. Gloves during this time were made from which material?
10. What was the name of Will’s wife?
(a) Juliet Greene
(b) Mary Arden
(c) Rosalie Campion
(d) Anne Hathaway
11. What object did John Shakespeare unsuccessfully attempt to purchase to help the family’s social standing?
(a) A prison pardon
(b) A coat of arms
(c) A large house
(d) A sword
12. Chapter 1 focuses largely on the importance of…
(a) Will’s health
(b) Will’s religious preferences
(c) Will’s mental aptitude
(d) Will’s childhood and education
13. Which of Will’s plays does NOT include a reference to gloves?
(a) Midsummer Night's Dream
(b) Twelfth Night
14. What was the result of Will’s threatened punishment for his illegal activity?
(a) Will’s imprisonment
(b) Will’s leaving Stratford
(c) Will’s untimely death
(d) Will’s advancement in society
15. Will’s early education was most likely conducted in what language?
Short Answer Questions
1. Choose the phrase that most accurately describes Will’s wife.
2. Will attended a school that was most likely for…
3. Where did Richard Field live?
4. What activity did Will try to avoid while living in London?
5. What position did Will’s father, John, hold in Stratford?
This section contains 463 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)