|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Will’s home town?
2. What play did Will likely see upon his arrival in London?
(b) Tamburlaine the Great
(c) As You Like It
(d) Elizabeth I
3. Will’s involvement in what group is discussed in Chapter 5?
(a) The Queen’s Men
(b) The King’s Men
(c) The City’s Troupe
(d) The Mayor’s Actors
4. Chapter 6 begins with a discussion of…
(a) The life of Will’s children
(b) The political climate of Will’s day
(c) Life in nearby France
(d) Life in the various sections of London
5. Which of Will’s plays does NOT include a reference to gloves?
(a) Midsummer Night's Dream
(b) Twelfth Night
6. Involvement with what local group established the groundwork for Will’s later work in London?
(a) A local church
(b) A local brewery
(c) A local acting company
(d) A local government office
7. What did Will see upon entering his new home city that made him afraid?
(a) An army of soldiers coming out to meet him
(b) The crumbling defenses of the city
(c) People dying from the plague
(d) Heads of executed men impaled on spears
8. Where did Will meet his future wife?
9. What word or phrase does NOT describe life inside the ancient Roman wall surrounding London in Will’s day?
(a) Awful smells
10. What trait is characteristic of all Will’s rural characters?
(d) Happiness in marriage
11. What was the result of Will’s threatened punishment for his illegal activity?
(a) Will’s imprisonment
(b) Will’s untimely death
(c) Will’s leaving Stratford
(d) Will’s advancement in society
12. Which theme in Will’s later works likely stemmed from his family life?
(a) Loss of status and its restoration
(b) Criminal activity
(c) Political activism
(d) Maintaining a good marriage
13. Which of these is a skill that Will needed to learn in order to be successful as an actor?
(a) The ability to run very fast
(b) The ability to cook well
(c) The ability to speak many other languages
(d) The ability to use a sword effectively
14. Chapter 1 ends with a discussion of…
(a) Will’s claim to fame
(b) Will’s brilliance
(c) Will’s rural roots
(d) Will’s religious preferences
15. Will’s wife was likely of what faith?
(c) Roman Catholicism
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of Will’s plays does NOT discuss loss of social status?
2. Which is a likely description of Will’s marriage?
3. Chapter 1 focuses largely on the importance of…
4. Will attended a school that was most likely for…
5. Which of the following was NOT a difference between Will and his wife?
This section contains 464 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)