|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who goes into exile with Jeremiah?
2. What is the third part assumption of the pious fraud?
3. What occurred during the reign of King Hezekiah?
4. In their arguments, how do Graf and others who argue for Author P during the second Temple see the Tabernacle?
5. Who is most likely the redactor for the entire Pentateuch?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Friedman react to the idea that the prophets did not know about writer P?
2. Describe the great irony of the P version of the Torah.
3. Explain how are D and E writers different from J and P authors?
4. Why was a fix necessary for the text of Deuteronomy?
5. How does Friedman identify as writer R, the redactor who stitched together all the various versions into one Torah?
6. How is King Josiah eliminated as a possible writer of Deuteronomy?
7. Why is identifying the time of writer P of significance?
8. Describe clues to who wrote Deuteronomy.
9. What is problematic about the mistake in locating writer P in history?
10. What was the brilliant mistake made in regard to discovering the identity of writer P?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typewritten pages on the topic, I Would (or Would Not) Like to Be a Biblical Scholar. This essay is your personal opinion about doing scholarly research into the Bible. It involves linguistics of ancient languages, knowledge of history, archeological discoveries, and long hours of research. You should express your opinion about your personal interest or lack thereof in those areas.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typewritten pages on the topic, The Impact of the Bible on the World. This essay covers the ideas mentioned in the last chapter of Friedman's book, WHO WROTE THE BIBLE? Points of the essay should include (1) the impact of the Bible in reckoning time in the world today, (2) the effect of the Bible on moral codes, and (3) the nations that have been founded on biblical principles.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typewritten pages on the topic, Comparison of Covenants. Summarize the covenants of (1) Abraham, (2) Moses, and (3) David. Analyze them from the standpoint of equivocation, purpose, and reward. Apply the debate about unconditional covenants from God which was used as an argument against multiple writers of the Torah.
This section contains 907 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)