|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What lay in the ark under the wings of the cherubs?
2. What information comes from knowing who wrote the Bible and when it was written?
3. What was the political structure for the Israelites?
4. What was the book priest Hilkiah said he found in the Temple?
5. What did Solomon build that was larger than the Temple?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is evidence that Moses did not write the Pentateuch--Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy?
2. How does the story of Moses smashing the tablets of stone tend to discredit the southern kingdom of Judah?
3. What is the traditional belief that Friedman addresses in his book?
4. When was it discovered that at least two people authored parts of the Bible?
5. How did King Jeroboam solidify his position after the kingdoms split into norther and southern kingdoms?
6. Discuss the period of time when the written compilation of the Bible as we have it today began.
7. What do scholars use to determine the different writers?
8. What is compelling evidence from modern scholarship that there were multiple writers of the Bible?
9. Discuss the evidence that the book of Deuteronomy was written to support the reforms of King Josiah.
10. What are some of the measures David undertook to unite the twelve tribes after he became King?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typewritten pages on the topic,
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typewritten pages on the topic, The Importance of Language. Your essay should center around (1) the way languages change with popular use, (2) the historical use of languages at various times during the writing of the Bible, and (3) how these linguistic changes help to identify approximate dates certain passages were written.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typewritten pages on the topic, Why People Disagree in Certain Areas of Religion. Begin by discussing (1) the differences of opinion about centralized religion in biblical times. (2) Note examples of disagreement in modern day religion. (3) Evaluate in your opinion the importance of those differences.
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)