|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many chief priests did David appoint?
2. Why can J and E not be separated on the basis of style alone?
3. What unusual speculation does Friedman make regarding the Egyptian bondage?
4. What are the books of Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers and Deuteronomy commonly called by Christians?
5. Why did the idea that there were four authors of the Pentateuch meet with resistance among Christians and Jews?
Short Essay Questions
1. When was it discovered that at least two people authored parts of the Bible?
2. What does the phrase "to this day" suggest in the book of Deuteronomy?
3. What is the tie in between the Golden Calf idol made at the foot of mount Sinai and the images of the cherubim in both the northern and southern regions?
4. Discuss the pendulum swing of Jewish religion after King Josiah, Hezekiah's great grandson, came to power.
5. What is different about the God of the Hebrews?
6. What is compelling evidence from modern scholarship that there were multiple writers of the Bible?
7. How does the story of Moses smashing the tablets of stone tend to discredit the southern kingdom of Judah?
8. What is evidence that Moses did not write the Pentateuch--Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy?
9. How does Author J justify the southern calf images while casting aspersion on the norther versions?
10. What method does Friedman use to determine the identity of Author E?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay of at least two typewritten pages on the topic, Why I Believe the Bible is Controversial. In this opinion piece, list areas of controversy surrounding the Bible in the world today. Touch on the subject of how people often do not understand what they read in the Bible because they have not read in depth. Analyze whether you think it is possible for everyone to understand the Bible alike and state your reasons.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay of at least two typewritten pages on the topic, Comparison of Covenants. Summarize the covenants of (1) Abraham, (2) Moses, and (3) David. Analyze them from the standpoint of equivocation, purpose, and reward. Apply the debate about unconditional covenants from God which was used as an argument against multiple writers of the Torah.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay of at least two typewritten pages on the topic, Comparing Biblical Research with Secular Research. (1) Discuss the criteria for all good research. (2) Mention archeological research practices and conclusions. (3) Delve into research on evolution of species. Conclude with a comparison of biblical research to all these other schools of thought and conjecture.
This section contains 927 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)