|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the occasion for Jo's party?
2. What does Daniel ask Jo to admit?
3. Eli says that while living in the group house he felt __________________.
4. Why is Jo annoyed to learn that her daughter had arrived during the night?
5. What is the police's stance on investigating Eli?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Jo almost pleased that Daniel threw the tomato at the wall next to her?
2. How does Jo not pick up on why Daniel is upset with her after she meets Eli?
3. What assumptions does Jo make about the people in her life after the episode with Eli?
4. Describe the setting in which Eli killed Dana.
5. How does Jo's reporting Eli's murder impact Sadie's life in a way Jo never considered?
6. How does Jo respond when Daniel wants to know if she planned to have an affair with Eli?
7. How has Eli rationalized his guilt over killing Dana?
8. Why do Jo and Eli meet, and what do each of them say about their respective marriages?
9. Why does Daniel not seem to like Eli?
10. What type of party does Jo want to have, and whom does she make a special point to call and invite?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the major settings for the novel. Why does Miller use those settings? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 2
The flashback portions of the story take place as America is experiencing the hippie generation, the Vietnam War, Woodstock, and drug usage in the late 1960s. Explain the significance of these political and cultural events on the housemates.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of deception. Identify at least two themes about deception in the book. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
This section contains 1,220 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)