|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Jo actually have plans to meet?
2. Jo's daughters feel that she is ________________ which hurts Jo's feelings.
3. Why does Eli think his crime has been canceled out?
4. What is the occasion for Jo's party?
5. What does Eli say is the basis of his marriage to Jean?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Jo's reactions after she leaves the police station?
2. What does Jo notice about Cass' physical appearance, and why is she concerned?
3. Are Jo's concerns for Cass' welfare particularly painful because Jo lived a similar lifestyle in her youth?
4. Describe the setting in which Eli killed Dana.
5. What holiday disaster had Daniel feared, and how did he avoid it?
6. How do Eli's and Jo's perceptions of life in the group home differ?
7. How does Jo's reporting Eli's murder impact Sadie's life in a way Jo never considered?
8. What annoys Jo about Cass' visit?
9. How does Jo not pick up on why Daniel is upset with her after she meets Eli?
10. How has Eli rationalized his guilt over killing Dana?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
WHEN I WAS GONE is a classic story of tests of a relationship. What does that classification entail? Why does this novel fit into this category? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 3
The theme of struggling with personal identity is an important one in this novel. Describe how it extends through setting, character, and issues. Provide examples for each.
This section contains 1,141 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)