|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jo has an appointment to meet Eli for what reason?
2. Why did the couple who attended the holiday party not buy a home like Jo's?
3. Jo feels that the only people who will believe Eli's version of the story are ______________________.
4. What is the upcoming holiday in Chapter 10?
5. Where does Jo have lunch with her mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has Jo's secret meeting with Eli damaged her relationship with Daniel?
2. How did Eli and Dana's relationship begin and what did Eli get Dana to agree to in a year?
3. How does the police detective respond when Jo tells him of Eli's murder confession?
4. What are Jo's thoughts as she drives to Cambridge to report Eli to the police?
5. What annoys Jo about Cass' visit?
6. Describe the setting in which Eli killed Dana.
7. How has Eli rationalized his guilt over killing Dana?
8. What are Jo's thoughts about Eli after they had coffee together?
9. Why is Jo almost pleased that Daniel threw the tomato at the wall next to her?
10. What are Jo's reactions after she leaves the police station?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a character study of Daniel. What are his physical characteristics? What are his motivations? What are his fears? What are his dreams? What else can you say about Daniel?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the major settings for the novel. Why does Miller use those settings? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the role of the family in WHILE I WAS GONE. What does it mean for each of the main characters? How does the family evolve in its support of each other?
This section contains 1,043 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)