|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Jo take an indirect route home?
2. Sadie tells Jo that the fights between Cass and Nora are usually ______________________.
3. What is Daniel's demeanor when he learns that Jo had gone to the police station?
4. Who attends Jo's holiday party?
5. At dinner, Daniel gets more and more irritated when Eli asks questions about ________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the police detective respond when Jo tells him of Eli's murder confession?
2. How does Jo respond when Daniel wants to know if she planned to have an affair with Eli?
3. Describe the pleasant evening Eli and Jean spend at Jo and Daniel's holiday party.
4. How does Jo not pick up on why Daniel is upset with her after she meets Eli?
5. What are Jo's thoughts as she drives to Cambridge to report Eli to the police?
6. How does Jo indicate by her actions in Boston what her intentions with Eli are?
7. Why does Daniel not seem to like Eli?
8. What holiday disaster had Daniel feared, and how did he avoid it?
9. What does Jo learn about the police's decision regarding Eli and why is she personally angry at what the detective insinuates?
10. What are Jo's thoughts about Eli after they had coffee together?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Miller's writing style. How is she different from other writers of her time? What are some of her characteristic writing techniques? Identify some examples of her classic style in WHILE I WAS GONE.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the major settings for the novel. Why does Miller use those settings? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
This section contains 1,128 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)