|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What pet did Jo have while growing up?
2. What request of the housemates' do Dana's sisters deny?
3. What possession of Licia's do the police enter into evidence?
4. Where does Licia sleep because she is afraid to sleep alone?
5. What is one of the things that the interviewer tells Licia she can expect to see in the group house?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jo confuse Jean Bennett when telling her how Jo knows Jean's husband, Eli Mayhew?
2. How is Jo impatient with Daniel's needs when she wants to talk, and how does she try to mend things on Sunday morning?
3. How do Dana's sisters act when they come to the house to pick up Dana's belongings?
4. Why does Licia seem to fit in so well with the group members who seem to have no real plans?
5. What is the premise of WHILE I WAS GONE?
6. What was the nature of the relationship between Licia and Dana?
7. How do Jo and Daniel reconnect and then marry?
8. What do the police learn about each of the housemates that makes the police suspicious of them?
9. Describe the night when Licia finds Dana's dead body in the house.
10. What does Dana think Licia might be when she catches Licia in lies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one theme in the book. Identify at least two themes in the book. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
Essay Topic 2
Create a character study of Jo. What are her physical characteristics? What are her motivations? What are her fears? What are her dreams? What else can you say about Jo?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the major settings for the novel. Why does Miller use those settings? What is the time period of the story? How important is the time period to the attitudes and issues of the characters?
This section contains 1,101 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)