|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Jo's health problem?
2. Who was the only other housemate that spent Christmas with Licia?
3. What holiday occurs in Chapter 6?
4. What decision does Eli make about his dog?
5. Jo and Daniel meet for dinner in which city?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Jo and Daniel reconnect and then marry?
2. How does the author use foreshadowing in the situation regarding the euthanasia of Eli's dog?
3. How did Jo get her start in veterinary medicine?
4. Who is Dana, and how does Licia (Jo) meet her?
5. Who are Jo and Daniel's daughters and how are they different from each other?
6. Why does Licia seem to fit in so well with the group members who seem to have no real plans?
7. What choice does Eli make for his dog and for himself in Jo's office?
8. What are the circumstances in which Jo sees Eli again after so many years?
9. Describe the night when Licia finds Dana's dead body in the house.
10. What does Dana think Licia might be when she catches Licia in lies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Miller's writing style. How is she different from other writers of her time? What are some of her characteristic writing techniques? Identify some examples of her classic style in WHILE I WAS GONE.
Essay Topic 2
Project into the future ten years after the end of the novel and write a brief synopsis for the lives of Jo and three other characters. Be sure to incorporate personal, political, and cultural impacts on the characters' lives.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
This section contains 1,087 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)