|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Daniel?
2. Jo recalls that Eli Mayhew was the only person in the house who studied _________________.
3. Chapter 3 uses what literary technique to show events that happened in the past?
4. Who brings Eli's dog to Jo's office?
5. Who is Jo's youngest daughter?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Jo get her start in veterinary medicine?
2. Explain Jo's secretive life in Cambridge in 1968.
3. What is the premise of WHILE I WAS GONE?
4. What are some of the events that the author covers during a flashback of Jo's life?
5. What choice does Eli make for his dog and for himself in Jo's office?
6. What does Dana think Licia might be when she catches Licia in lies?
7. Who is Jean Bennett and in what circumstances does Jo meet her?
8. How well does Licia adapt to living in the group house?
9. What are the circumstances in which Jo sees Eli again after so many years?
10. How do Dana's sisters act when they come to the house to pick up Dana's belongings?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the role of the family in WHILE I WAS GONE. What does it mean for each of the main characters? How does the family evolve in its support of each other?
Essay Topic 2
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of deception. Identify at least two themes about deception in the book. Then cite an example to support each theme you name.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the significance of the novel's title--WHILE I WAS GONE. Why did Miller choose this title? Is there an understood message in the title? Is there another title you can suggest that might be more appropriate?
This section contains 1,016 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)