|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What request of the housemates' do Dana's sisters deny?
2. What might be another reason Eli chose euthanasia for his dog besides the dog's quality of life?
3. Where does Jo rarely go?
4. What did Dana witness Licia say to a man in a bar to stop him from flirting with her?
5. In what year did Jo leave her first marriage?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which characters comprise Jo's family?
2. How do Jo and Daniel reconnect and then marry?
3. What does Jo say might account for her feeling off during dinner with Daniel?
4. What is the first theory the police have regarding Dana's murder?
5. Why does Licia seem to fit in so well with the group members who seem to have no real plans?
6. What is the premise of WHILE I WAS GONE?
7. How well does Licia adapt to living in the group house?
8. What are Jo's feelings about seeing Eli again?
9. Explain Jo's secretive life in Cambridge in 1968.
10. What are the circumstances in which Jo sees Eli again after so many years?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The flashback portions of the story take place as America is experiencing the hippie generation, the Vietnam War, Woodstock, and drug usage in the late 1960s. Explain the significance of these political and cultural events on the housemates.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Miller's writing style. How is she different from other writers of her time? What are some of her characteristic writing techniques? Identify some examples of her classic style in WHILE I WAS GONE.
Essay Topic 3
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
This section contains 964 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)