|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Dana's nationality?
2. Dana is a part-time _____________ student.
3. Chapter 3 uses what literary technique to show events that happened in the past?
4. Why does Jo go to the attic when she gets home in the evening?
5. What is the demeanor of Dana's sisters when they come to the house to get Dana's belongings?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Dana's murder signify for the housemates?
2. How do Dana's sisters act when they come to the house to pick up Dana's belongings?
3. How does the author use foreshadowing in the situation regarding the euthanasia of Eli's dog?
4. What choice does Eli make for his dog and for himself in Jo's office?
5. How does Jo confuse Jean Bennett when telling her how Jo knows Jean's husband, Eli Mayhew?
6. What does Dana think Licia might be when she catches Licia in lies?
7. What does Jo say might account for her feeling off during dinner with Daniel?
8. What is the premise of WHILE I WAS GONE?
9. Why does Licia seem to fit in so well with the group members who seem to have no real plans?
10. What are Jo's feelings about seeing Eli again?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 2
Substance abuse seems to be an unnamed character in the book. How pervasive is the abuse? Why does it have such a prevalent place in the characters' lives? How does it affect the abusers? How does it affect those impacted by the abusers? Explain how an inanimate object or characteristic can be a character.
Essay Topic 3
Project into the future ten years after the end of the novel and write a brief synopsis for the lives of Jo and three other characters. Be sure to incorporate personal, political, and cultural impacts on the characters' lives.
This section contains 984 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)