|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What name did Jo go by in college?
2. What holiday occurs in Chapter 6?
3. Who is Jo's youngest daughter?
4. What is Jo's health problem?
5. Who was the only other housemate that spent Christmas with Licia?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the night when Licia finds Dana's dead body in the house.
2. Who is Jean Bennett and in what circumstances does Jo meet her?
3. What was the nature of the relationship between Licia and Dana?
4. What are Jo's feelings about seeing Eli again?
5. Why does Licia seem to fit in so well with the group members who seem to have no real plans?
6. How does the author use foreshadowing in the situation regarding the euthanasia of Eli's dog?
7. How do Jo and Daniel reconnect and then marry?
8. What is the first theory the police have regarding Dana's murder?
9. How did Jo get her start in veterinary medicine?
10. What does Dana's murder signify for the housemates?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the concept of loneliness as it exhibits in the story. Which of the characters are lonely? Are they all lonely in some way? Explain the loneliness and the methods and attempts to overcome it.
Essay Topic 2
The author uses some important instances of foreshadowing in the story. Explain what foreshadowing is and cite at least two examples making sure to explain what makes each an example of foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 3
WHILE I WAS GONE is a classic story of loss and renewal. What does that classification entail? Why does this book fit into this category? Explain.
This section contains 952 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)