|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Chapter 3 uses what literary technique to show events that happened in the past?
2. How many children are in Dana's family?
3. Why does Jo go to the attic when she gets home in the evening?
(a) To look for winter clothes.
(b) To find a box of photos.
(c) To get the Christmas decorations.
(d) To find some old magazines.
4. What does Jo think about as she drives home after seeing Eli in the office?
(a) She would like to get a divorce to marry Eli.
(b) He is even more handsome than she remembered him being.
(c) He seems much like he did on the day she said goodbye many years ago.
(d) She wonders if Eli is going to make a pass at her.
5. Why did Licia give money to Duncan one day?
(a) To buy groceries.
(b) To pay his tuition.
(c) To repair his car.
(d) To buy drugs.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jo buy on her lunch break?
2. How much time passes between Eli's visit to Jo's office until she hears from him again?
3. Jo's twin daughters are Nora and _________________.
4. What is Jo's last name?
5. How long after they have dinner do Jo and Daniel get married?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the first theory the police have regarding Dana's murder?
2. What does Dana's murder signify for the housemates?
3. What was the nature of the relationship between Licia and Dana?
4. What is the premise of WHILE I WAS GONE?
5. Which characters comprise Jo's family?
6. What choice does Eli make for his dog and for himself in Jo's office?
7. What does Jo say might account for her feeling off during dinner with Daniel?
8. How do Dana's sisters act when they come to the house to pick up Dana's belongings?
9. Why does Licia seem to fit in so well with the group members who seem to have no real plans?
10. What are the circumstances in which Jo sees Eli again after so many years?
This section contains 978 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)