• Jo Becker and her husband Daniel are in a rowboat, fishing on a lake near their home.
• Jo is a veterinarian. Daniel is a preacher, and they live in a farmhouse in Adams Mills, Massachusetts.
• Jo contemplates middle age as she stands before a mirror and thinks that she is still attractive and in good health.
• Jo's eighty-year-old mother is healthy and living in Maine.
• Daniel notices at dinner that Jo seems worried and preoccupied, and she says she has a premonition about something but it's probably that she just misses her daughters.
• After dinner, Daniel leaves to comfort a dying parishioner.
• Jo and Daniel's daughter, Sadie, calls Jo to say that one of Sadie's professors lives in Adams Mills and needs a veterinarian so Sadie has given the professor Jo's contact information.
• Sadie attends college in Massachusetts.
• Jo and Daniel also have two twin daughters. Nora...
This section contains 2,775 words
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)