|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Grandpa while searching for Old Dan in the storm?
2. What does Billy hear during the night in Chapter 15 that he takes as a bad omen?
3. What does Papa do to get Little Ann to come back to Billy in Chapter 17?
4. What does Billy realize when he hears Old Dan bay while out on the ice?
5. Where do the dogs chase a raccoon to in Chapter 11?
Essay Topic 1
One of the themes Where the Red Fern Grows address is perseverance. Discuss what the novel has to say about this theme. Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
Billy grows and changes as a character as the novel progresses. At the same time, he holds to a core set of values. Compare and contrast Billy at several different stages in his development. Be sure to cite examples from the text to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
Where the Red Fern Grows presents and comments on the circle of life. Discuss how this idea plays out in the novel. Then examine the author's view on the topic. Be sure to support your ideas with evidence from the novel.
This section contains 1,136 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)