|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the "ghost coon" ultimately head for at the end of Chapter 12?
2. Who does Billy think has planted the red fern?
3. How does the group find Old Dan in Chapter 17?
4. Why do the Pritchard boys refuse to give Billy his money back?
5. What creature does Old Dan tree one day after the competition?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Billy's dogs catch the three raccoons that put him in the running for the gold cup.
2. How does Billy's family react to the news of the hunting competition?
3. How is the "ghost coon" able to evade the dogs?
4. Describe the role Old Blue plays in Chapter 13.
5. What do Papa and Billy do upon returning home from the hunting competition? How does the family react?
6. Describe the struggle between Billy's dogs and the mountain lion.
7. Describe how Billy's dogs catch the first two raccoons of the final round of the hunting competition.
8. Years after leaving the Ozarks, what does Billy imagine he would find if he should ever visit the dogs' graves?
9. What does Mr. Benson tell Billy that concerns him? What does Billy discover is actually true?
10. How does Papa believe the family's prayers have been answered in Chapter 19?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Wilson Rawls uses a frame story in this novel. Describe the frame story and discuss how it relates to the main plot line. Then comment on how the novel would be different if the frame story was removed. Be sure to cite examples from the text to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
There are several characters who influence the person that Billy becomes. Select the two characters who you believe have the greatest impact on his development and:
1) describe each character's actions or beliefs as they relate to Billy.
2) discuss the impact of this character on Billy's life and personality.
3) discuss why you selected each particular character. What about each character made him/her more of an influence on Billy than others?
Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
Where the Red Fern Grows presents and comments on the circle of life. Discuss how this idea plays out in the novel. Then examine the author's view on the topic. Be sure to support your ideas with evidence from the novel.
This section contains 1,166 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)