|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Papa do to get Little Ann to come back to Billy in Chapter 17?
2. What does Grandpa give Billy in Chapter 15 that marks him as an adult?
3. What does Billy discover when he climbs the ghost tree in Chapter 13?
4. Why does Billy visit his grandfather's store on the day he encounters the Pritchard boys?
5. Why does Old Dan lure Billy out on to the ice pack?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Billy's family react to the news of the hunting competition?
2. What does Billy do to try and rescue Little Ann from the freezing river?
3. Describe Billy's thoughts as he travels from his grandfather's store to his family's home after finding out about the hunting competition.
4. How is the "ghost coon" able to evade the dogs?
5. Why does Rainie Pritchard suggest that Billy should accept that his dogs cannot catch the "ghost coon"?
6. Why doesn't Billy follow his dogs to the third raccoon in the final round of the hunting competition? What does he do instead?
7. Describe how Billy's dogs catch the three raccoons that put him in the running for the gold cup.
8. How does Papa believe the family's prayers have been answered in Chapter 19?
9. What are the rules of the hunting competition?
10. Describe the role Old Blue plays in Chapter 13.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the topic Where the Red Fern Grows address is the contrast between town and rural life. Discuss what the novel has to say about this topic. Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
Setting is important to the plot in this novel. Select three of the settings in the novel and discuss how they influence the plot and character development. Be sure to cite several examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
Billy grows and changes as a character as the novel progresses. At the same time, he holds to a core set of values. Compare and contrast Billy at several different stages in his development. Be sure to cite examples from the text to support your ideas.
This section contains 1,076 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)