|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Billy's father show him to help him feel better when Old Dan and Little Ann die?
2. Why do the Pritchard boys refuse to give Billy his money back?
3. What happens to Grandpa as the dogs chase their second raccoon?
4. What happens to Grandpa while searching for Old Dan in the storm?
5. What event causes Little Ann to become sickly and weak?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Ozark Mountains are an important setting in the novel. Discuss the significance of this setting focusing on its impact on plot and character development. Be sure to cite several examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
There are several characters who influence the person that Billy becomes. Select the two characters who you believe have the greatest impact on his development and:
1) describe each character's actions or beliefs as they relate to Billy.
2) discuss the impact of this character on Billy's life and personality.
3) discuss why you selected each particular character. What about each character made him/her more of an influence on Billy than others?
Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
One of the topic Where the Red Fern Grows address is the contrast between town and rural life. Discuss what the novel has to say about this topic. Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
This section contains 1,159 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)