|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Papa believe would have prevented Billy from moving with the family at the end of the book?
2. Why does Billy decide not to kill the "ghost coon"?
3. How many raccoons do Billy and the dogs catch during the hunting contest?
4. Who lays next to Old Dan's dead body before it is buried?
5. What does Billy hear during the night in Chapter 15 that he takes as a bad omen?
Essay Topic 1
Old Dan and Little Ann share many common traits, but they are also very different. Compare and contrast the two dogs focusing both on their physical and personality traits. Be sure to cite examples from the text to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
Where the Red Fern Grows presents and comments on the circle of life. Discuss how this idea plays out in the novel. Then examine the author's view on the topic. Be sure to support your ideas with evidence from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Wilson Rawls uses a frame story in this novel. Describe the frame story and discuss how it relates to the main plot line. Then comment on how the novel would be different if the frame story was removed. Be sure to cite examples from the text to support your ideas.
This section contains 1,133 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)