Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Papa believe would have prevented Billy from moving with the family at the end of the book?
2. Why does Billy decide not to kill the "ghost coon"?
3. How many raccoons do Billy and the dogs catch during the hunting contest?
4. Who lays next to Old Dan's dead body before it is buried?
5. What does Billy hear during the night in Chapter 15 that he takes as a bad omen?
Essay Topic 1
Billy grows and changes as a character as the novel progresses. At the same time, he holds to a core set of values. Compare and contrast Billy at several different stages in his development. Be sure to cite examples from the text to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
In Where the Red Fern Grows the author presents viewpoints on the themes of man vs. nature and man vs. man. Discuss the role that each of these conflicts plays in the novel. Then discuss which the author thinks is more powerful. Support your ideas with specific examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
In Where the Red Fern Grows, a few minor characters have a major impact on the story line. Select one of the following minor characters to analyze: The Pritchard Boys, Mr. Benson, Mama, Papa. Discuss:
1) The personality (character traits) of this character.
2) The relationship between this minor character and the major characters in the story.
3) The impact of this character on the story line: How does s/he influence the overall story line? How would the story be different if this character was removed?
This section contains 341 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)