|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the "ghost coon" ultimately head for at the end of Chapter 12?
2. Why do the dogs pounce on a large scary animal in Chapter 18 that Old Dan had treed?
3. What does Billy realize when he hears Old Dan bay while out on the ice?
4. How does Billy react when his grandfather tells him he has entered him into the hunting contest?
5. Where does Billy bury the dogs when they die?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the legend of the red fern.
2. Describe the role Old Blue plays in Chapter 13.
3. Describe the exchange that takes place between Billy, Grandpa and the Pritchard boys.
4. Years after leaving the Ozarks, what does Billy imagine he would find if he should ever visit the dogs' graves?
5. How does Papa believe the family's prayers have been answered in Chapter 19?
6. Describe how Billy's dogs catch the three raccoons that put him in the running for the gold cup.
7. What does Billy do to try and rescue Little Ann from the freezing river?
8. What are the rules of the hunting competition?
9. What does Billy do to prepare for the final round of the hunting competition?
10. What do Papa and Billy do upon returning home from the hunting competition? How does the family react?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Where the Red Fern Grows presents and comments on the circle of life. Discuss how this idea plays out in the novel. Then examine the author's view on the topic. Be sure to support your ideas with evidence from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
There are several characters who influence the person that Billy becomes. Select the two characters who you believe have the greatest impact on his development and:
1) describe each character's actions or beliefs as they relate to Billy.
2) discuss the impact of this character on Billy's life and personality.
3) discuss why you selected each particular character. What about each character made him/her more of an influence on Billy than others?
Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
One of the themes Where the Red Fern Grows address is perseverance. Discuss what the novel has to say about this theme. Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
This section contains 1,036 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)