|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Billy's grandfather hold partly responsible for Rubin's death?
2. Which of the following is NOT something Billy believes would be at the dogs' grave sites years later?
3. Who does Billy think has planted the red fern?
4. What does Billy find when he visits to the dogs' graves before leaving home?
5. What concerns Billy about Old Dan's behavior when he trees the animal in Chapter 18?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Papa believe the family's prayers have been answered in Chapter 19?
2. Describe how Billy's dogs catch the three raccoons that put him in the running for the gold cup.
3. Describe the struggle between Billy's dogs and the mountain lion.
4. Years after leaving the Ozarks, what does Billy imagine he would find if he should ever visit the dogs' graves?
5. Describe the legend of the red fern.
6. How is the "ghost coon" able to evade the dogs?
7. What does Mr. Benson tell Billy that concerns him? What does Billy discover is actually true?
8. Why doesn't Billy follow his dogs to the third raccoon in the final round of the hunting competition? What does he do instead?
9. Describe how Billy's dogs catch the first two raccoons of the final round of the hunting competition.
10. Describe the role Old Blue plays in Chapter 13.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Billy's parents and grandfather have a strong influence on him. Discuss at least three ways that Billy's family influences his development. Be sure to cite several examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
One of the topic Where the Red Fern Grows address is the contrast between town and rural life. Discuss what the novel has to say about this topic. Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
Billy grows and changes as a character as the novel progresses. At the same time, he holds to a core set of values. Compare and contrast Billy at several different stages in his development. Be sure to cite examples from the text to support your ideas.
This section contains 1,054 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)