Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Papa believe would have prevented Billy from moving with the family at the end of the book?
2. Why does Billy decide not to kill the "ghost coon"?
3. How many raccoons do Billy and the dogs catch during the hunting contest?
4. Who lays next to Old Dan's dead body before it is buried?
5. What does Billy hear during the night in Chapter 15 that he takes as a bad omen?
In Where the Red Fern Grows the author uses several recurrent symbols. Choose two of the following symbols (red fern, raccoons, the lantern, the ax, the abandoned campsite, the river) and
1) describe how the symbol is presented in the novel
2) discuss the significance and impact of the symbol on the plot and character development.
Be sure to cite specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
There are several characters who influence the person that Billy becomes. Select the two characters who you believe have the greatest impact on his development and:
1) describe each character's actions or beliefs as they relate to Billy.
2) discuss the impact of this character on Billy's life and personality.
3) discuss why you selected each particular character. What about each character made him/her more of an influence on Billy than others?
Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Friendship is an important topic in this novel. Discuss the ways friendship is presented in the book. Then discuss the message the author is trying to make about friendships. In other words, what is his view of friendships? What does he think is important in a friendship. Be sure to cite specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
This section contains 362 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)