|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What event at the beginning of Chapter 11 prevents Billy from hunting?
2. Why does Billy decide not to kill the "ghost coon"?
3. What does Billy do to help himself see the dogs in the fog in Chapter 11?
4. Where do the dogs chase a raccoon to in Chapter 11?
5. When did Billy return to the Ozarks to visit the dogs' graves?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mr. Benson tell Billy that concerns him? What does Billy discover is actually true?
2. What does Billy do to try and rescue Little Ann from the freezing river?
3. Describe the exchange that takes place between Billy, Grandpa and the Pritchard boys.
4. Describe Billy's thoughts as he travels from his grandfather's store to his family's home after finding out about the hunting competition.
5. What does Billy do to prepare for the final round of the hunting competition?
6. Describe how Billy's dogs catch the first two raccoons of the final round of the hunting competition.
7. What does Billy notice about the other dogs in the hunting competition?
8. What are the rules of the hunting competition?
9. Years after leaving the Ozarks, what does Billy imagine he would find if he should ever visit the dogs' graves?
10. Describe the struggle between Billy's dogs and the mountain lion.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are several characters who influence the person that Billy becomes. Select the two characters who you believe have the greatest impact on his development and:
1) describe each character's actions or beliefs as they relate to Billy.
2) discuss the impact of this character on Billy's life and personality.
3) discuss why you selected each particular character. What about each character made him/her more of an influence on Billy than others?
Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
Setting is important to the plot in this novel. Select three of the settings in the novel and discuss how they influence the plot and character development. Be sure to cite several examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
Billy's parents and grandfather have a strong influence on him. Discuss at least three ways that Billy's family influences his development. Be sure to cite several examples from the novel to support your ideas.
This section contains 1,142 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)