|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the dogs pounce on a large scary animal in Chapter 18 that Old Dan had treed?
2. When did Billy return to the Ozarks to visit the dogs' graves?
3. Who ultimately kills the large scary animal in Chapter 18 that Old Dan had treed?
4. Why does Little Ann stop barking when she trees the "ghost coon"?
5. What does Papa believe would have prevented Billy from moving with the family at the end of the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the "ghost coon" able to evade the dogs?
2. Describe how Billy's dogs catch the first two raccoons of the final round of the hunting competition.
3. What does Mr. Benson tell Billy that concerns him? What does Billy discover is actually true?
4. What does Billy do to prepare for the final round of the hunting competition?
5. What does Billy do to try and rescue Little Ann from the freezing river?
6. How does Billy's family react to the news of the hunting competition?
7. Why doesn't Billy follow his dogs to the third raccoon in the final round of the hunting competition? What does he do instead?
8. What do Papa and Billy do upon returning home from the hunting competition? How does the family react?
9. Describe how Billy's dogs catch the three raccoons that put him in the running for the gold cup.
10. Why does Rainie Pritchard suggest that Billy should accept that his dogs cannot catch the "ghost coon"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the topic Where the Red Fern Grows address is the contrast between town and rural life. Discuss what the novel has to say about this topic. Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
Old Dan and Little Ann share many common traits, but they are also very different. Compare and contrast the two dogs focusing both on their physical and personality traits. Be sure to cite examples from the text to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
In Where the Red Fern Grows, a few minor characters have a major impact on the story line. Select one of the following minor characters to analyze: The Pritchard Boys, Mr. Benson, Mama, Papa. Discuss:
1) The personality (character traits) of this character.
2) The relationship between this minor character and the major characters in the story.
3) The impact of this character on the story line: How does s/he influence the overall story line? How would the story be different if this character was removed?
This section contains 1,145 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)