|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who ultimately kills the large scary animal in Chapter 18 that Old Dan had treed?
2. What event at the beginning of Chapter 11 prevents Billy from hunting?
3. What does Billy's father show him to help him feel better when Old Dan and Little Ann die?
4. What does Billy realize when he hears Old Dan bay while out on the ice?
5. What does Papa do to get Little Ann to come back to Billy in Chapter 17?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Billy do to prepare for the final round of the hunting competition?
2. How does Papa believe the family's prayers have been answered in Chapter 19?
3. What does Billy notice about the other dogs in the hunting competition?
4. Describe the exchange that takes place between Billy, Grandpa and the Pritchard boys.
5. Describe Billy's thoughts as he travels from his grandfather's store to his family's home after finding out about the hunting competition.
6. What does Mr. Benson tell Billy that concerns him? What does Billy discover is actually true?
7. What are the rules of the hunting competition?
8. What do Papa and Billy do upon returning home from the hunting competition? How does the family react?
9. How does Billy's family react to the news of the hunting competition?
10. Describe how Billy's dogs catch the first two raccoons of the final round of the hunting competition.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Grandpa's store is an important setting in the novel. Discuss the significance of this setting focusing on its impact on plot and character development. Be sure to cite several examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
Friendship is an important topic in this novel. Discuss the ways friendship is presented in the book. Then discuss the message the author is trying to make about friendships. In other words, what is his view of friendships? What does he think is important in a friendship. Be sure to cite specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
Where the Red Fern Grows presents and comments on the circle of life. Discuss how this idea plays out in the novel. Then examine the author's view on the topic. Be sure to support your ideas with evidence from the novel.
This section contains 1,032 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)