|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Billy concerned about entering one of the dogs into the best looking dog contest?
2. Which of the following is NOT something Billy believes would be at the dogs' grave sites years later?
3. What does Grandpa give Billy in Chapter 15 that marks him as an adult?
4. What surprises the hunting contest judge about Billy's dogs' final catch?
5. Why does Billy decide not to kill the "ghost coon"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Papa believe the family's prayers have been answered in Chapter 19?
2. Describe the role Old Blue plays in Chapter 13.
3. How is the "ghost coon" able to evade the dogs?
4. Why doesn't Billy follow his dogs to the third raccoon in the final round of the hunting competition? What does he do instead?
5. Describe how Billy's dogs catch the three raccoons that put him in the running for the gold cup.
6. Describe Billy's thoughts as he travels from his grandfather's store to his family's home after finding out about the hunting competition.
7. What does Billy do to prepare for the final round of the hunting competition?
8. What are the rules of the hunting competition?
9. Describe the exchange that takes place between Billy, Grandpa and the Pritchard boys.
10. What does Mr. Benson tell Billy that concerns him? What does Billy discover is actually true?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the themes Where the Red Fern Grows address is perseverance. Discuss what the novel has to say about this theme. Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
Grandpa's store is an important setting in the novel. Discuss the significance of this setting focusing on its impact on plot and character development. Be sure to cite several examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
In Where the Red Fern Grows, a few minor characters have a major impact on the story line. Select one of the following minor characters to analyze: The Pritchard Boys, Mr. Benson, Mama, Papa. Discuss:
1) The personality (character traits) of this character.
2) The relationship between this minor character and the major characters in the story.
3) The impact of this character on the story line: How does s/he influence the overall story line? How would the story be different if this character was removed?
This section contains 1,059 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)