Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Papa believe would have prevented Billy from moving with the family at the end of the book?
2. Why does Billy decide not to kill the "ghost coon"?
3. How many raccoons do Billy and the dogs catch during the hunting contest?
4. Who lays next to Old Dan's dead body before it is buried?
5. What does Billy hear during the night in Chapter 15 that he takes as a bad omen?
Essay Topic 1
Setting is important to the plot in this novel. Select three of the settings in the novel and discuss how they influence the plot and character development. Be sure to cite several examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
In Where the Red Fern Grows the author uses several recurrent symbols. Choose two of the following symbols (red fern, raccoons, the lantern, the ax, the abandoned campsite, the river) and
1) describe how the symbol is presented in the novel
2) discuss the significance and impact of the symbol on the plot and character development.
Be sure to cite specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
Billy's parents and grandfather have a strong influence on him. Discuss at least three ways that Billy's family influences his development. Be sure to cite several examples from the novel to support your ideas.
This section contains 301 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)