|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Billy realize when he hears Old Dan bay while out on the ice?
2. What is the significance of the red fern?
3. Who lays next to Old Dan's dead body before it is buried?
4. What does Billy do to try and gain an advantage on his night of hunting in the contest?
5. What happens to Grandpa as the dogs chase their second raccoon?
Essay Topic 1
There are several characters who influence the person that Billy becomes. Select the two characters who you believe have the greatest impact on his development and:
1) describe each character's actions or beliefs as they relate to Billy.
2) discuss the impact of this character on Billy's life and personality.
3) discuss why you selected each particular character. What about each character made him/her more of an influence on Billy than others?
Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
In Where the Red Fern Grows the author uses several recurrent symbols. Choose two of the following symbols (red fern, raccoons, the lantern, the ax, the abandoned campsite, the river) and
1) describe how the symbol is presented in the novel
2) discuss the significance and impact of the symbol on the plot and character development.
Be sure to cite specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
Setting is important to the plot in this novel. Select three of the settings in the novel and discuss how they influence the plot and character development. Be sure to cite several examples from the novel to support your ideas.
This section contains 1,150 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)