Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Papa believe would have prevented Billy from moving with the family at the end of the book?
2. Why does Billy decide not to kill the "ghost coon"?
3. How many raccoons do Billy and the dogs catch during the hunting contest?
4. Who lays next to Old Dan's dead body before it is buried?
5. What does Billy hear during the night in Chapter 15 that he takes as a bad omen?
Essay Topic 1
Billy goes through several rites of passage in this novel. Describe at least two events that help usher him into adulthood. Then discuss how these events help make him a "man." Be sure to cite several examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
In Where the Red Fern Grows the author uses several recurrent symbols. Choose two of the following symbols (red fern, raccoons, the lantern, the ax, the abandoned campsite, the river) and
1) describe how the symbol is presented in the novel
2) discuss the significance and impact of the symbol on the plot and character development.
Be sure to cite specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
Friendship is an important topic in this novel. Discuss the ways friendship is presented in the book. Then discuss the message the author is trying to make about friendships. In other words, what is his view of friendships? What does he think is important in a friendship. Be sure to cite specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
This section contains 1,133 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)