|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many raccoons do Billy and the dogs catch during the hunting contest?
2. What does Billy's grandfather tell the boy he must bring with him to the hunting contest?
3. Why does Billy pay the Pritchard boys $2?
4. How does Billy prepare Little Ann for the beauty contest?
5. Where does Little Ann find the "ghost coon" after Billy believes the bet is over?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Rainie Pritchard suggest that Billy should accept that his dogs cannot catch the "ghost coon"?
2. Describe the exchange that takes place between Billy, Grandpa and the Pritchard boys.
3. What does Mr. Benson tell Billy that concerns him? What does Billy discover is actually true?
4. Why doesn't Billy follow his dogs to the third raccoon in the final round of the hunting competition? What does he do instead?
5. Describe the role Old Blue plays in Chapter 13.
6. Describe how Billy's dogs catch the first two raccoons of the final round of the hunting competition.
7. Describe Billy's thoughts as he travels from his grandfather's store to his family's home after finding out about the hunting competition.
8. Describe how Billy's dogs catch the three raccoons that put him in the running for the gold cup.
9. How does Billy's family react to the news of the hunting competition?
10. What do Papa and Billy do upon returning home from the hunting competition? How does the family react?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Wilson Rawls uses a frame story in this novel. Describe the frame story and discuss how it relates to the main plot line. Then comment on how the novel would be different if the frame story was removed. Be sure to cite examples from the text to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
There are several characters who influence the person that Billy becomes. Select the two characters who you believe have the greatest impact on his development and:
1) describe each character's actions or beliefs as they relate to Billy.
2) discuss the impact of this character on Billy's life and personality.
3) discuss why you selected each particular character. What about each character made him/her more of an influence on Billy than others?
Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
In Where the Red Fern Grows the author uses several recurrent symbols. Choose two of the following symbols (red fern, raccoons, the lantern, the ax, the abandoned campsite, the river) and
1) describe how the symbol is presented in the novel
2) discuss the significance and impact of the symbol on the plot and character development.
Be sure to cite specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
This section contains 1,187 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)