|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following words best characterizes Billy in Chapter 8?
2. Which of the following is NOT one of the items Billy purchases with his final $10 in Chapter 4?
3. How does Billy characterize Tahlequah when talking with his father in Chapter 6?
4. What does Billy do with the money he earns from hunting?
5. How does the woman watching Billy play in the playground in Tahlequah react to what happens to Billy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the incident in with the muskrat den.
2. Describe the area that Billy lives in as a kid.
3. Where does the unnamed old man in Chapter 1 assume the hound lives? Why?
4. What connection does the author make between the redbone hound in the first chapter and Billy's dogs in Chapter 6?
5. What does Billy discover about the two dogs when they camp in the cave?
6. What concerns Mama about Billy's obsession with hunting?
7. What surprises and touches Billy's grandfather in the later part of Chapter 3?
8. How does Billy's family help him while he is trying to cut down the giant sycamore?
9. How does Billy's grandfather help him at the beginning of Chapter 9?
10. Describe the actions Billy takes to earn enough money to purchase two hound puppies.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the themes Where the Red Fern Grows address is perseverance. Discuss what the novel has to say about this theme. Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
One of the themes Where the Red Fern Grows address is love and loyalty. Discuss what the novel has to say about this theme. Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
Billy grows and changes as a character as the novel progresses. At the same time, he holds to a core set of values. Compare and contrast Billy at several different stages in his development. Be sure to cite examples from the text to support your ideas.
This section contains 947 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)