|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Billy's mother think has happened to him when he comes home yelling after visiting the traps in Chapter 7?
2. How long does it take Billy to catch his first raccoon in the traps?
3. Why does Billy choose the particular names for the puppies that he does?
4. Why does Billy become concerned when the Tahlequah marshal breaks up the fight?
5. What does Billy discover about the dogs when he wakes in the morning in Chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. Compare and contrast Billy and his father's views of the town of Tahlequah.
2. How does Billy's grandfather help him at the beginning of Chapter 9?
3. Describe Billy's travels from Oklahoma to Tahlequah.
4. What concerns Mama about Billy's obsession with hunting?
5. In Chapter 9, what do the dogs do during the night while Billy is sleeping in his bed? How does Billy discover their actions?
6. What connection does the author make between the redbone hound in the first chapter and Billy's dogs in Chapter 6?
7. What memories does the redbone hound stir up for the unnamed old man in Chapter 1?
8. What surprises and touches Billy's grandfather in the later part of Chapter 3?
9. Why is Billy so committed to cutting down the sycamore tree?
10. What character traits does Billy exhibit when the children on the playground in Tahlequah harass his dogs? How does he demonstrate these traits?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are several characters who influence the person that Billy becomes. Select the two characters who you believe have the greatest impact on his development and:
1) describe each character's actions or beliefs as they relate to Billy.
2) discuss the impact of this character on Billy's life and personality.
3) discuss why you selected each particular character. What about each character made him/her more of an influence on Billy than others?
Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
Grandpa's store is an important setting in the novel. Discuss the significance of this setting focusing on its impact on plot and character development. Be sure to cite several examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
In Where the Red Fern Grows the author uses several recurrent symbols. Choose two of the following symbols (red fern, raccoons, the lantern, the ax, the abandoned campsite, the river) and
1) describe how the symbol is presented in the novel
2) discuss the significance and impact of the symbol on the plot and character development.
Be sure to cite specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
This section contains 1,119 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)