|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Billy's grandfather suggest in Chapter 9 the boy do to keep the coon in the tree while he goes home to rest?
2. Why does Billy choose the particular names for the puppies that he does?
3. How does Billy's sister react to his plan to cut down "The Big Tree"?
4. Where does Billy camp with the puppies in Chapter 5?
5. Why does Billy run away from home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the incident in with the muskrat den.
2. Based on information in Chapter 1, why does the unnamed old man take such an interest in the redbone hound?
3. How do Billy's feelings about his family's home change when he returns home from his journey to Tahlequah?
4. How does Billy's desire for hunting dogs fit with his ability to purchase the dogs?
5. How does Billy's grandfather help him at the beginning of Chapter 9?
6. Why is Billy so committed to cutting down the sycamore tree?
7. What measures does Papa take in Chapter 2 to help Billy deal with his overwhelming desire for two puppies?
8. What concerns Mama about Billy's obsession with hunting?
9. Describe the contents of the ad Billy finds in the old sportsman's magazine.
10. What does Billy do with the money he earns from hunting? Why does he do this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the themes Where the Red Fern Grows address is man vs man. Discuss what the novel has to say about this theme. Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
Billy grows and changes as a character as the novel progresses. At the same time, he holds to a core set of values. Compare and contrast Billy at several different stages in his development. Be sure to cite examples from the text to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
Grandpa's store is an important setting in the novel. Discuss the significance of this setting focusing on its impact on plot and character development. Be sure to cite several examples from the novel to support your ideas.
This section contains 1,004 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)