|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the unnamed man in Chapter 1 notice fighting as he walks home?
2. Which of the following is NOT one of the items Billy purchases with his final $10 in Chapter 4?
3. What prevents Billy's parents from buying him the puppies he wants?
4. What does the individual who visits Billy in the afternoon after his pups have treed their first raccoon bring him?
5. What is significant about what Billy finds at the campsite?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Billy's family help him while he is trying to cut down the giant sycamore?
2. Why is Billy confused by the Tahlequah townspeople's reactions to his actions and appearance?
3. Describe what Billy and the other hunters talk about as they sell their hides in Billy's grandfather's store.
4. What surprises and touches Billy's grandfather in the later part of Chapter 3?
5. What is the significance of the abandoned campsite for Billy?
6. Describe the redbone hound in Chapter 1.
7. What measures does Papa take in Chapter 2 to help Billy deal with his overwhelming desire for two puppies?
8. Describe the events between the tree falling down and Billy's return home.
9. How do the puppies react to the first raccoon that they encounter?
10. Where does the unnamed old man in Chapter 1 assume the hound lives? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the themes Where the Red Fern Grows address is perseverance. Discuss what the novel has to say about this theme. Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
One of the topic Where the Red Fern Grows address is the contrast between town and rural life. Discuss what the novel has to say about this topic. Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
Billy grows and changes as a character as the novel progresses. At the same time, he holds to a core set of values. Compare and contrast Billy at several different stages in his development. Be sure to cite examples from the text to support your ideas.
This section contains 971 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)