|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Billy decide to chop down the tree in Chapter 8 that the dogs have treed their first raccoon in?
2. What happens to Dan when he and the raccoon fight?
3. Why do the children at the playground in Tahlequah make fun of Billy?
4. Who helps Billy train the puppies?
5. After Billy's dogs have treed their first raccoon, who arrives later in the day to check on Billy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the area that Billy lives in as a kid.
2. What does Billy do when he despairs that he cannot finish cutting down the tree? What happens after he does so?
3. Based on information in Chapter 1, why does the unnamed old man take such an interest in the redbone hound?
4. Compare and contrast Old Dan and Little Ann as they are described by Billy in Chapter 10.
5. How do the puppies react to the first raccoon that they encounter?
6. Describe "The Big Tree".
7. How does Billy's family help him while he is trying to cut down the giant sycamore?
8. Describe Billy's travels from Oklahoma to Tahlequah.
9. What surprises and touches Billy's grandfather in the later part of Chapter 3?
10. What does Billy discover about the two dogs when they camp in the cave?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the themes Where the Red Fern Grows address is perseverance. Discuss what the novel has to say about this theme. Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
Setting is important to the plot in this novel. Select three of the settings in the novel and discuss how they influence the plot and character development. Be sure to cite several examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
One of the themes Where the Red Fern Grows address is man vs man. Discuss what the novel has to say about this theme. Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
This section contains 926 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)