Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the other hunters tease Billy about when they talk at his grandfather's store?
2. What secret does Billy's grandfather keep for him?
3. How did Billy's father discover he had traveled to Tahlequah to pick up the puppies?
4. What does Billy do to gather strength when he believes he can no longer chop the tree down?
5. What impresses the Tahlequah marshal about Billy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Billy so committed to cutting down the sycamore tree?
2. What does Billy do to try and rescue Little Ann from the freezing river?
3. Why is Billy confused by the Tahlequah townspeople's reactions to his actions and appearance?
4. Describe Billy's shopping experience in the general store in Tahlequah.
5. What surprises and touches Billy's grandfather in the later part of Chapter 3?
6. Describe how Little Ann outsmarts the raccoon in Chapter 8.
7. What warnings do Billy's father and grandfather give him about hunting in bad weather?
8. What are Billy's first impressions of Tahlequah?
9. What is the significance of the abandoned campsite for Billy?
10. What measures does Papa take in Chapter 2 to help Billy deal with his overwhelming desire for two puppies?
Essay Topic 1
The Ozark Mountains are an important setting in the novel. Discuss the significance of this setting focusing on its impact on plot and character development. Be sure to cite several examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
One of the themes Where the Red Fern Grows address is love and loyalty. Discuss what the novel has to say about this theme. Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
One of the themes Where the Red Fern Grows address is spirituality/religion. Discuss what the novel has to say about this theme. Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
This section contains 1,036 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)