|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the other hunters tease Billy about when they talk at his grandfather's store?
2. At the age of ten, what does Billy desperately want to have?
3. Which of the following phrases does NOT characterize Little Ann?
4. How does Billy characterize Tahlequah when talking with his father in Chapter 6?
5. What does the unnamed man in Chapter 1 remove from his mantle while sitting by the fire?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Billy's family help him while he is trying to cut down the giant sycamore?
2. Describe Billy's travels from Oklahoma to Tahlequah.
3. Describe the contents of the ad Billy finds in the old sportsman's magazine.
4. What does Billy do with the candy his grandfather gives him in Chapter 3? What does this demonstrate about his character?
5. What does Billy discover about the two dogs when they camp in the cave?
6. What measures does Papa take in Chapter 2 to help Billy deal with his overwhelming desire for two puppies?
7. Describe the redbone hound in Chapter 1.
8. What are Billy's first impressions of Tahlequah?
9. What does Billy do when he despairs that he cannot finish cutting down the tree? What happens after he does so?
10. What connection does the author make between the redbone hound in the first chapter and Billy's dogs in Chapter 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the themes Where the Red Fern Grows address is man vs man. Discuss what the novel has to say about this theme. Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
One of the themes Where the Red Fern Grows address is man vs. nature. Discuss what the novel has to say about this theme. Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
Grandpa's store is an important setting in the novel. Discuss the significance of this setting focusing on its impact on plot and character development. Be sure to cite several examples from the novel to support your ideas.
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)