|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What breed of dog does Billy's father offer to get for him?
2. Why does Old Dan run up a hollow tree during a hunt?
3. How does Billy characterize Tahlequah when talking with his father in Chapter 6?
4. Which of the following is NOT an attribute that the unnamed man in Chapter 1 notices when examining the dog?
5. Why does the general store owner offer Billy a pair of shoes?
Short Essay Questions
1. What character traits does Billy exhibit when the children on the playground in Tahlequah harass his dogs? How does he demonstrate these traits?
2. What does Billy do with the candy his grandfather gives him in Chapter 3? What does this demonstrate about his character?
3. What is the significance of the abandoned campsite for Billy?
4. Describe "The Big Tree".
5. How does Billy's family help him while he is trying to cut down the giant sycamore?
6. Describe the area that Billy lives in as a kid.
7. Describe the incident in with the muskrat den.
8. What does Billy do with the money he earns from hunting? Why does he do this?
9. Why is Billy so committed to cutting down the sycamore tree?
10. What does Billy discover about the two dogs when they camp in the cave?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the themes Where the Red Fern Grows address is man vs man. Discuss what the novel has to say about this theme. Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
There are several characters who influence the person that Billy becomes. Select the two characters who you believe have the greatest impact on his development and:
1) describe each character's actions or beliefs as they relate to Billy.
2) discuss the impact of this character on Billy's life and personality.
3) discuss why you selected each particular character. What about each character made him/her more of an influence on Billy than others?
Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
Wilson Rawls uses a frame story in this novel. Describe the frame story and discuss how it relates to the main plot line. Then comment on how the novel would be different if the frame story was removed. Be sure to cite examples from the text to support your ideas.
This section contains 1,811 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)