|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Billy see for the first time in the general store window in Chapter 4?
2. What does Billy like to do for fun in Chapter 2?
3. What happens to Dan when he and the raccoon fight?
4. What type of dog is being attacked by the other dogs in Chapter 1?
5. Based on the unnamed man's actions at the end of Chapter 1, what is likely to be the focus of the Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Billy discover about the two dogs when they camp in the cave?
2. Compare and contrast Old Dan and Little Ann as they are described by Billy in Chapter 10.
3. Describe Billy's shopping experience in the general store in Tahlequah.
4. How do Billy's parents react to him asking how far it is to Kentucky? What information are they lacking?
5. What measures does Papa take in Chapter 2 to help Billy deal with his overwhelming desire for two puppies?
6. What does Billy do with the candy his grandfather gives him in Chapter 3? What does this demonstrate about his character?
7. How does Billy train the dogs to track raccoons?
8. What surprises and touches Billy's grandfather in the later part of Chapter 3?
9. How do the puppies react to the first raccoon that they encounter?
10. How do Billy's feelings about his family's home change when he returns home from his journey to Tahlequah?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Where the Red Fern Grows the author uses several recurrent symbols. Choose two of the following symbols (red fern, raccoons, the lantern, the ax, the abandoned campsite, the river) and
1) describe how the symbol is presented in the novel
2) discuss the significance and impact of the symbol on the plot and character development.
Be sure to cite specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 2
One of the themes Where the Red Fern Grows address is love and loyalty. Discuss what the novel has to say about this theme. Cite several specific examples from the novel to support your ideas.
Essay Topic 3
In Where the Red Fern Grows, a few minor characters have a major impact on the story line. Select one of the following minor characters to analyze: The Pritchard Boys, Mr. Benson, Mama, Papa. Discuss:
1) The personality (character traits) of this character.
2) The relationship between this minor character and the major characters in the story.
3) The impact of this character on the story line: How does s/he influence the overall story line? How would the story be different if this character was removed?
This section contains 1,039 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)