|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Billy's grandfather tell the boy he must bring with him to the hunting contest?
(a) Only himself.
(b) Only his dogs.
(c) All of the supplies he will need to hunt.
(d) His dogs and hunting ax.
2. Why do the dogs pounce on a large scary animal in Chapter 18 that Old Dan had treed?
(a) It attacks Billy.
(b) It looks like it might attack Billy.
(c) It growls at them.
(d) It stands in a threatening way.
3. What does Billy find when he visits to the dogs' graves before leaving home?
(a) A red fern growing up between them.
(b) A sycamore tree growing up between them.
(c) A grave marker made by his father.
(d) The old KC Baking Powder can.
4. Who becomes separated from the group during the storm?
(c) The judge.
5. What criteria must all entrants into the hunting contest in Chapter 14 meet?
(a) They need to have caught a certain number of raccoons.
(b) They only have to pay a registration fee.
(c) They must be seasoned hunters.
(d) They must be at least 18 years old.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Billy's father show him to help him feel better when Old Dan and Little Ann die?
2. What is the significance of the red fern?
3. Where does Billy bury the dogs when they die?
4. What surprises the hunting contest judge about Billy's dogs' final catch?
5. What does Billy do to try and gain an advantage on his night of hunting in the contest?
This section contains 370 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)