|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Billy's family move to in Chapter 19?
(a) The Ozark Mountains.
(b) A home closer to town.
(c) The city.
2. Why does Old Dan lure Billy out on to the ice pack?
(a) He is caught in the freezing water.
(b) Little Ann is caught in the freezing water.
(c) He is caught on the ice.
(d) Little Ann has located the raccoon.
3. What does Billy discover when he climbs the ghost tree in Chapter 13?
(a) The raccoon was never there.
(b) The tree is still blooming.
(c) The raccoon is not there.
(d) The raccoon is treed in it.
4. Where do the dogs chase a raccoon to in Chapter 11?
(a) Billy's family's home.
(b) A tree.
(c) The river.
5. How does Billy prepare Little Ann for the beauty contest?
(a) By brushing and rubbing hair oil into her hair.
(b) By telling her she is a beautiful dog.
(c) By brushing and rubbing butter into her hair.
(d) By teaching her commands.
Short Answer Questions
1. What event at the beginning of Chapter 11 prevents Billy from hunting?
2. What challenge do the Pritchard boys pose for Billy and the dogs?
3. Where does Billy bury the dogs when they die?
4. Who becomes separated from the group during the storm?
5. What surprises Billy's grandfather about Little Ann and Old Dan's relationship?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the struggle between Billy's dogs and the mountain lion.
2. What warnings do Billy's father and grandfather give him about hunting in bad weather?
3. Describe the legend of the red fern.
4. Why doesn't Billy follow his dogs to the third raccoon in the final round of the hunting competition? What does he do instead?
5. How is the "ghost coon" able to evade the dogs?
6. Why does Rainie Pritchard suggest that Billy should accept that his dogs cannot catch the "ghost coon"?
7. What does Mr. Benson tell Billy that concerns him? What does Billy discover is actually true?
8. Years after leaving the Ozarks, what does Billy imagine he would find if he should ever visit the dogs' graves?
9. What do Papa and Billy do upon returning home from the hunting competition? How does the family react?
10. How does Billy's family react to the news of the hunting competition?
This section contains 1,024 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)