|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Billy decide not to kill the "ghost coon"?
(a) His grandfather tells him not to kill it.
(b) When the raccoon cries, Billy is sympathetic to its feelings.
(c) He believes killing animals is immoral.
(d) He wants to allow the dogs to kill it.
2. in Chapter 14, what concern about Little Ann does Billy share with his father?
(a) She cannot keep up with Old Dan.
(b) She is ill.
(c) She is sometimes too small to climb a tree.
(d) She is gun shy.
3. What creature does Old Dan tree one day after the competition?
(a) A bobcat.
(b) A mountain lion.
(c) A cat.
(d) A raccoon.
4. Why does Old Dan lure Billy out on to the ice pack?
(a) He is caught on the ice.
(b) He is caught in the freezing water.
(c) Little Ann has located the raccoon.
(d) Little Ann is caught in the freezing water.
5. Where does Billy bury the dogs when they die?
(a) Under a sycamore tree.
(b) Near the river.
(c) Next to the family's cabin.
(d) At the base of a red oak tree.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Billy's family move to in Chapter 19?
2. What challenge emerges at the beginning of Chapter 17?
3. Who becomes separated from the group during the storm?
4. Where do the dogs chase a raccoon to in Chapter 11?
5. What does Billy realize when he hears Old Dan bay while out on the ice?
Short Essay Questions
1. Years after leaving the Ozarks, what does Billy imagine he would find if he should ever visit the dogs' graves?
2. What does Billy do to prepare for the final round of the hunting competition?
3. What are the rules of the hunting competition?
4. Describe how Billy's dogs catch the first two raccoons of the final round of the hunting competition.
5. Why does Rainie Pritchard suggest that Billy should accept that his dogs cannot catch the "ghost coon"?
6. What do Papa and Billy do upon returning home from the hunting competition? How does the family react?
7. What does Billy notice about the other dogs in the hunting competition?
8. What does Mr. Benson tell Billy that concerns him? What does Billy discover is actually true?
9. Describe Billy's thoughts as he travels from his grandfather's store to his family's home after finding out about the hunting competition.
10. How does Billy's family react to the news of the hunting competition?
This section contains 996 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)