|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Little Ann find the "ghost coon" after Billy believes the bet is over?
(a) Down near the river.
(b) In a hollowed out gatepost.
(c) In the ghost tree.
(d) In a hollowed out tree.
2. What does Billy finally notice about his mother as the family discusses the hunting competition over dinner?
(a) She truly loves his father.
(b) She is kind and understanding.
(c) She is supportive of his hunting career.
(d) She is pregnant.
3. What challenge do the Pritchard boys pose for Billy and the dogs?
(a) Catching the biggest raccoon.
(b) Treeing the "ghost coon."
(c) Selling the most pelts.
(d) Catching more raccoons than they have caught.
4. What does Billy discover when he climbs the ghost tree in Chapter 13?
(a) The tree is still blooming.
(b) The raccoon is treed in it.
(c) The raccoon was never there.
(d) The raccoon is not there.
5. What event causes Little Ann to become sickly and weak?
(a) Billy's illness.
(b) Old Dan's death.
(c) The mountain lion's attack.
(d) The end of hunting season.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Billy concerned about entering one of the dogs into the best looking dog contest?
2. Who does Billy think has planted the red fern?
3. What does Billy find when he visits to the dogs' graves before leaving home?
4. Why does Billy visit his grandfather's store on the day he encounters the Pritchard boys?
5. Why do the Pritchard boys refuse to give Billy his money back?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the exchange that takes place between Billy, Grandpa and the Pritchard boys.
2. Years after leaving the Ozarks, what does Billy imagine he would find if he should ever visit the dogs' graves?
3. Describe the legend of the red fern.
4. What warnings do Billy's father and grandfather give him about hunting in bad weather?
5. What does Mr. Benson tell Billy that concerns him? What does Billy discover is actually true?
6. Describe the role Old Blue plays in Chapter 13.
7. How is the "ghost coon" able to evade the dogs?
8. Describe how Billy's dogs catch the first two raccoons of the final round of the hunting competition.
9. What does Billy notice about the other dogs in the hunting competition?
10. How does Papa believe the family's prayers have been answered in Chapter 19?
This section contains 1,065 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)