|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What event causes Little Ann to become sickly and weak?
(a) Old Dan's death.
(b) Billy's illness.
(c) The mountain lion's attack.
(d) The end of hunting season.
2. What happens to Grandpa while searching for Old Dan in the storm?
(a) He must stop to take a rest.
(b) He becomes dehydrated.
(c) He falls and knocks himself unconscious and injures his ankle.
(d) He hurts his ankle.
3. Where do the dogs chase a raccoon to in Chapter 11?
(a) Billy's family's home.
(b) A tree.
(c) The river.
4. Why does Billy end up sleeping under the wagon with his dogs in Chapter 16?
(a) His grandfather's snoring keeps him awake.
(b) His father's snoring keeps him awake.
(c) He wants to comfort his tired dogs.
(d) He does not want to be away from them.
5. What does Billy discover when he climbs the ghost tree in Chapter 13?
(a) The raccoon was never there.
(b) The raccoon is treed in it.
(c) The raccoon is not there.
(d) The tree is still blooming.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Billy finally notice about his mother as the family discusses the hunting competition over dinner?
2. How does Rainie Pritchard characterize Billy's grandfather?
3. What does Billy realize when he hears Old Dan bay while out on the ice?
4. What challenge emerges at the beginning of Chapter 17?
5. Where does Little Ann die?
Short Essay Questions
1. What warnings do Billy's father and grandfather give him about hunting in bad weather?
2. Describe the struggle between Billy's dogs and the mountain lion.
3. Describe how Billy's dogs catch the first two raccoons of the final round of the hunting competition.
4. Describe how Billy's dogs catch the three raccoons that put him in the running for the gold cup.
5. What does Billy do to try and rescue Little Ann from the freezing river?
6. How is the "ghost coon" able to evade the dogs?
7. What are the rules of the hunting competition?
8. What does Billy do to prepare for the final round of the hunting competition?
9. What does Billy notice about the other dogs in the hunting competition?
10. What does Mr. Benson tell Billy that concerns him? What does Billy discover is actually true?
This section contains 1,053 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)