|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Papa do to get Little Ann to come back to Billy in Chapter 17?
(a) He calls to her.
(b) He lures her back with a treat.
(c) He pretends to be a raccoon.
(d) He shoots his gun.
2. What concerns Billy about Old Dan's behavior when he trees the animal in Chapter 18?
(a) He abandons Little Ann.
(b) He will not leave the tree.
(c) He tries to climb the tree.
(d) He growls and bears his teeth.
3. What event causes Little Ann to become sickly and weak?
(a) Old Dan's death.
(b) The mountain lion's attack.
(c) Billy's illness.
(d) The end of hunting season.
4. How does Billy react when his grandfather tells him he has entered him into the hunting contest?
(a) He is surprised.
(b) He is ecstatic.
(c) He is honored.
(d) He is put off.
5. Why does Billy pay the Pritchard boys $2?
(a) He believes he has lost the bet since the dogs seem to have given up finding the "ghost coon".
(b) He owed them for supplies purchased for hunting.
(c) His grandfather instructed him to pay the boys regardless of the outcome of the bet.
(d) He believes his dogs have failed him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What surprises Billy's grandfather about Little Ann and Old Dan's relationship?
2. What criteria must all entrants into the hunting contest in Chapter 14 meet?
3. What happens to Grandpa as the dogs chase their second raccoon?
4. What surprises the hunting contest judge about Billy's dogs' final catch?
5. Where does Billy's family move to in Chapter 19?
Short Essay Questions
1. Years after leaving the Ozarks, what does Billy imagine he would find if he should ever visit the dogs' graves?
2. How is the "ghost coon" able to evade the dogs?
3. Why does Rainie Pritchard suggest that Billy should accept that his dogs cannot catch the "ghost coon"?
4. Describe the struggle between Billy's dogs and the mountain lion.
5. Describe Billy's thoughts as he travels from his grandfather's store to his family's home after finding out about the hunting competition.
6. What does Billy do to prepare for the final round of the hunting competition?
7. Describe how Billy's dogs catch the first two raccoons of the final round of the hunting competition.
8. What do Papa and Billy do upon returning home from the hunting competition? How does the family react?
9. What does Mr. Benson tell Billy that concerns him? What does Billy discover is actually true?
10. What are the rules of the hunting competition?
This section contains 1,049 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)