|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Billy think has planted the red fern?
(c) His father.
(d) The dogs.
2. What does Billy's grandfather tell the boy he must bring with him to the hunting contest?
(a) Only himself.
(b) Only his dogs.
(c) His dogs and hunting ax.
(d) All of the supplies he will need to hunt.
3. Which of the following is NOT something Billy believes would be at the dogs' grave sites years later?
(a) The grave marker his father made.
(b) Red fern.
(c) Red oaks.
(d) An old rusty lantern.
4. What criteria must all entrants into the hunting contest in Chapter 14 meet?
(a) They must be at least 18 years old.
(b) They only have to pay a registration fee.
(c) They need to have caught a certain number of raccoons.
(d) They must be seasoned hunters.
5. Who lays next to Old Dan's dead body before it is buried?
(b) Billy and Little Ann.
(c) Little Ann.
(d) Billy's sisters.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Billy prepare Little Ann for the beauty contest?
2. Whose bragging helps build Billy's reputation as a hunter?
3. What challenge emerges at the beginning of Chapter 17?
4. Where does Little Ann find the "ghost coon" after Billy believes the bet is over?
5. When did Billy return to the Ozarks to visit the dogs' graves?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the legend of the red fern.
2. What does Billy do to prepare for the final round of the hunting competition?
3. Describe the struggle between Billy's dogs and the mountain lion.
4. What does Billy do to try and rescue Little Ann from the freezing river?
5. Describe the role Old Blue plays in Chapter 13.
6. Why doesn't Billy follow his dogs to the third raccoon in the final round of the hunting competition? What does he do instead?
7. How is the "ghost coon" able to evade the dogs?
8. How does Papa believe the family's prayers have been answered in Chapter 19?
9. What are the rules of the hunting competition?
10. How does Billy's family react to the news of the hunting competition?
This section contains 1,049 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)