|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Billy's family move to in Chapter 19?
(a) A home closer to town.
(c) The city.
(d) The Ozark Mountains.
2. Why do the dogs pounce on a large scary animal in Chapter 18 that Old Dan had treed?
(a) It stands in a threatening way.
(b) It growls at them.
(c) It looks like it might attack Billy.
(d) It attacks Billy.
3. What challenge do the Pritchard boys pose for Billy and the dogs?
(a) Selling the most pelts.
(b) Treeing the "ghost coon."
(c) Catching more raccoons than they have caught.
(d) Catching the biggest raccoon.
4. What does Billy do to try and gain an advantage on his night of hunting in the contest?
(a) Take his father and grandfather along hunting.
(b) Give the dogs a pep talk.
(c) Move out of the over-hunted area.
(d) Encourage the dogs.
5. When did Billy return to the Ozarks to visit the dogs' graves?
(a) Shortly before he moved out of the state.
(b) Weekly after the family moved into town.
(d) Once before his death.
Short Answer Questions
1. What problem do the dogs face when the raccoon leads them to the river in Chapter 11?
2. What does Grandpa give Billy in Chapter 15 that marks him as an adult?
3. How does the animal in Chapter 18 react to Old Dan's threat?
4. What happens to Grandpa while searching for Old Dan in the storm?
5. Whose bragging helps build Billy's reputation as a hunter?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Billy's family react to the news of the hunting competition?
2. What are the rules of the hunting competition?
3. How is the "ghost coon" able to evade the dogs?
4. What do Papa and Billy do upon returning home from the hunting competition? How does the family react?
5. How does Papa believe the family's prayers have been answered in Chapter 19?
6. Describe the struggle between Billy's dogs and the mountain lion.
7. What warnings do Billy's father and grandfather give him about hunting in bad weather?
8. Years after leaving the Ozarks, what does Billy imagine he would find if he should ever visit the dogs' graves?
9. Describe the exchange that takes place between Billy, Grandpa and the Pritchard boys.
10. What does Billy do to try and rescue Little Ann from the freezing river?
This section contains 1,086 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)