|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose bragging helps build Billy's reputation as a hunter?
(a) His father's.
(b) His mother's.
(c) His grandfather's.
(d) His own.
2. Where does the "ghost coon" ultimately head for at the end of Chapter 12?
(a) The ghost tree.
(b) The tallest tree in the forest.
(c) Billy's home.
(d) An old field.
3. What does Papa do to get Little Ann to come back to Billy in Chapter 17?
(a) He calls to her.
(b) He pretends to be a raccoon.
(c) He shoots his gun.
(d) He lures her back with a treat.
4. Why does Billy pay the Pritchard boys $2?
(a) He believes his dogs have failed him.
(b) He owed them for supplies purchased for hunting.
(c) He believes he has lost the bet since the dogs seem to have given up finding the "ghost coon".
(d) His grandfather instructed him to pay the boys regardless of the outcome of the bet.
5. What does Billy's father show him to help him feel better when Old Dan and Little Ann die?
(a) The home the family is buying in town.
(b) A new puppy.
(c) A grave marker he made for the dogs.
(d) The money he earned through hunting.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Old Dan lure Billy out on to the ice pack?
2. Where does Billy bury the dogs when they die?
3. What does Billy's mother suggest will make him feel better when Old Dan and Little Ann die?
4. Who does Billy's grandfather hold partly responsible for Rubin's death?
5. How does the animal in Chapter 18 react to Old Dan's threat?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Billy's thoughts as he travels from his grandfather's store to his family's home after finding out about the hunting competition.
2. What does Mr. Benson tell Billy that concerns him? What does Billy discover is actually true?
3. How does Papa believe the family's prayers have been answered in Chapter 19?
4. Years after leaving the Ozarks, what does Billy imagine he would find if he should ever visit the dogs' graves?
5. What does Billy do to try and rescue Little Ann from the freezing river?
6. Describe the exchange that takes place between Billy, Grandpa and the Pritchard boys.
7. Describe the struggle between Billy's dogs and the mountain lion.
8. Describe how Billy's dogs catch the three raccoons that put him in the running for the gold cup.
9. Why does Rainie Pritchard suggest that Billy should accept that his dogs cannot catch the "ghost coon"?
10. What does Billy do to prepare for the final round of the hunting competition?
This section contains 1,160 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)