|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose bragging helps build Billy's reputation as a hunter?
(a) His grandfather's.
(b) His own.
(c) His father's.
(d) His mother's.
2. What does Grandpa give Billy in Chapter 15 that marks him as an adult?
(b) A cup of coffee.
(d) A gun.
3. in Chapter 14, what concern about Little Ann does Billy share with his father?
(a) She is gun shy.
(b) She cannot keep up with Old Dan.
(c) She is ill.
(d) She is sometimes too small to climb a tree.
4. Why does Little Ann stop barking when she trees the "ghost coon"?
(a) She is waiting for Billy to arrive.
(b) She is unsure that he is actually in the tree.
(c) She is waiting for Old Dan to arrive.
(d) She has lost his scent.
5. What does Billy finally notice about his mother as the family discusses the hunting competition over dinner?
(a) She is supportive of his hunting career.
(b) She is kind and understanding.
(c) She truly loves his father.
(d) She is pregnant.
Short Answer Questions
1. What surprises Billy's grandfather about Little Ann and Old Dan's relationship?
2. What does Billy find when he visits to the dogs' graves before leaving home?
3. Who does Billy's grandfather hold partly responsible for Rubin's death?
4. How does the group find Old Dan in Chapter 17?
5. Where does the "ghost coon" ultimately head for at the end of Chapter 12?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the legend of the red fern.
2. Describe the struggle between Billy's dogs and the mountain lion.
3. Describe how Billy's dogs catch the first two raccoons of the final round of the hunting competition.
4. Describe Billy's thoughts as he travels from his grandfather's store to his family's home after finding out about the hunting competition.
5. How does Papa believe the family's prayers have been answered in Chapter 19?
6. Years after leaving the Ozarks, what does Billy imagine he would find if he should ever visit the dogs' graves?
7. Describe the role Old Blue plays in Chapter 13.
8. What does Billy do to prepare for the final round of the hunting competition?
9. Why does Rainie Pritchard suggest that Billy should accept that his dogs cannot catch the "ghost coon"?
10. What do Papa and Billy do upon returning home from the hunting competition? How does the family react?
This section contains 1,005 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)