|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Billy's grandfather hold partly responsible for Rubin's death?
(a) The "ghost coon".
2. Why does Billy visit his grandfather's store on the day he encounters the Pritchard boys?
(a) He is purchasing hunting supplies.
(b) He is dropping off pelts to be sold at the store.
(c) He is visiting his grandfather.
(d) He is getting a sack of corn milled for his mother.
3. What challenge do the Pritchard boys pose for Billy and the dogs?
(a) Catching more raccoons than they have caught.
(b) Catching the biggest raccoon.
(c) Selling the most pelts.
(d) Treeing the "ghost coon."
4. What does Papa do to get Little Ann to come back to Billy in Chapter 17?
(a) He pretends to be a raccoon.
(b) He shoots his gun.
(c) He lures her back with a treat.
(d) He calls to her.
5. Where does the "ghost coon" ultimately head for at the end of Chapter 12?
(a) Billy's home.
(b) The tallest tree in the forest.
(c) An old field.
(d) The ghost tree.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Billy insist the group look for the dogs rather than wait for them to come back on their own?
2. What event at the beginning of Chapter 11 prevents Billy from hunting?
3. What does Billy find when he visits to the dogs' graves before leaving home?
4. Which of the following is NOT something Billy believes would be at the dogs' grave sites years later?
5. What does Grandpa give Billy in Chapter 15 that marks him as an adult?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the struggle between Billy's dogs and the mountain lion.
2. Describe the exchange that takes place between Billy, Grandpa and the Pritchard boys.
3. Why doesn't Billy follow his dogs to the third raccoon in the final round of the hunting competition? What does he do instead?
4. What do Papa and Billy do upon returning home from the hunting competition? How does the family react?
5. What does Billy notice about the other dogs in the hunting competition?
6. What are the rules of the hunting competition?
7. Describe the legend of the red fern.
8. What does Billy do to prepare for the final round of the hunting competition?
9. What warnings do Billy's father and grandfather give him about hunting in bad weather?
10. Describe how Billy's dogs catch the three raccoons that put him in the running for the gold cup.
This section contains 1,007 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)