|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Billy do to try and gain an advantage on his night of hunting in the contest?
(a) Move out of the over-hunted area.
(b) Give the dogs a pep talk.
(c) Encourage the dogs.
(d) Take his father and grandfather along hunting.
2. How does Billy react when his grandfather tells him he has entered him into the hunting contest?
(a) He is surprised.
(b) He is put off.
(c) He is honored.
(d) He is ecstatic.
3. What does Billy's father show him to help him feel better when Old Dan and Little Ann die?
(a) The home the family is buying in town.
(b) A new puppy.
(c) The money he earned through hunting.
(d) A grave marker he made for the dogs.
4. What criteria must all entrants into the hunting contest in Chapter 14 meet?
(a) They must be seasoned hunters.
(b) They only have to pay a registration fee.
(c) They need to have caught a certain number of raccoons.
(d) They must be at least 18 years old.
5. What does Billy's mother suggest will make him feel better when Old Dan and Little Ann die?
(a) Eating dinner.
(b) Getting new dogs.
(c) Praying to God.
(d) Remembering the good times he had with the dogs.
Short Answer Questions
1. What challenge emerges at the beginning of Chapter 17?
2. What concerns Billy about Old Dan's behavior when he trees the animal in Chapter 18?
3. Why does Old Dan lure Billy out on to the ice pack?
4. Who does Billy's grandfather hold partly responsible for Rubin's death?
5. How does the animal in Chapter 18 react to Old Dan's threat?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Billy notice about the other dogs in the hunting competition?
2. Describe how Billy's dogs catch the first two raccoons of the final round of the hunting competition.
3. Years after leaving the Ozarks, what does Billy imagine he would find if he should ever visit the dogs' graves?
4. How does Papa believe the family's prayers have been answered in Chapter 19?
5. Describe the legend of the red fern.
6. What does Mr. Benson tell Billy that concerns him? What does Billy discover is actually true?
7. How is the "ghost coon" able to evade the dogs?
8. Describe the role Old Blue plays in Chapter 13.
9. Describe how Billy's dogs catch the three raccoons that put him in the running for the gold cup.
10. What do Papa and Billy do upon returning home from the hunting competition? How does the family react?
This section contains 1,072 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)