|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Rainie Pritchard characterize Billy's grandfather?
(a) As wealthy.
(b) As mean.
(c) As fair.
(d) As dishonest.
2. Who does Billy think has planted the red fern?
(a) The dogs.
(c) His father.
3. What does Billy hear during the night in Chapter 15 that he takes as a bad omen?
(a) Old Dan baying.
(b) A storm coming.
(c) The sound of screech owls.
(d) The sound of mockingbirds.
4. What does Papa believe would have prevented Billy from moving with the family at the end of the book?
(a) His grief over the dogs' deaths.
(b) A desire to stay near the dogs' graves.
(c) Hunting with the dogs.
(d) A desire to stay near the river.
5. What surprises the hunting contest judge about Billy's dogs' final catch?
(a) They were able to find the raccoon again after he walked a rail fence.
(b) They chased the raccoon for miles.
(c) They did not give up even though it was daybreak.
(d) They worked together to tree the raccoon.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Billy concerned about entering one of the dogs into the best looking dog contest?
2. What challenge emerges at the beginning of Chapter 17?
3. How many raccoons do Billy and the dogs catch during the hunting contest?
4. Who ultimately kills the large scary animal in Chapter 18 that Old Dan had treed?
5. Where does Little Ann find the "ghost coon" after Billy believes the bet is over?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mr. Benson tell Billy that concerns him? What does Billy discover is actually true?
2. Describe the role Old Blue plays in Chapter 13.
3. Years after leaving the Ozarks, what does Billy imagine he would find if he should ever visit the dogs' graves?
4. Why does Rainie Pritchard suggest that Billy should accept that his dogs cannot catch the "ghost coon"?
5. What are the rules of the hunting competition?
6. Why doesn't Billy follow his dogs to the third raccoon in the final round of the hunting competition? What does he do instead?
7. What do Papa and Billy do upon returning home from the hunting competition? How does the family react?
8. What does Billy do to try and rescue Little Ann from the freezing river?
9. Describe how Billy's dogs catch the three raccoons that put him in the running for the gold cup.
10. How is the "ghost coon" able to evade the dogs?
This section contains 1,063 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)