|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Billy bury the dogs when they die?
(a) At the base of a red oak tree.
(b) Near the river.
(c) Next to the family's cabin.
(d) Under a sycamore tree.
2. How does the group find Old Dan in Chapter 17?
(a) Little Ann leads them to him.
(b) They follow the coon.
(c) They hear him baying.
(d) They call to him.
3. How does Rainie Pritchard characterize Billy's grandfather?
(a) As fair.
(b) As dishonest.
(c) As mean.
(d) As wealthy.
4. Why does Billy decide not to kill the "ghost coon"?
(a) His grandfather tells him not to kill it.
(b) When the raccoon cries, Billy is sympathetic to its feelings.
(c) He wants to allow the dogs to kill it.
(d) He believes killing animals is immoral.
5. How does Billy react when his grandfather tells him he has entered him into the hunting contest?
(a) He is surprised.
(b) He is put off.
(c) He is ecstatic.
(d) He is honored.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Grandpa give Billy in Chapter 15 that marks him as an adult?
2. Which night does Billy draw to hunt in the contest?
3. Why does Little Ann stop barking when she trees the "ghost coon"?
4. What criteria must all entrants into the hunting contest in Chapter 14 meet?
5. What does Billy find when he visits to the dogs' graves before leaving home?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Papa believe the family's prayers have been answered in Chapter 19?
2. Why doesn't Billy follow his dogs to the third raccoon in the final round of the hunting competition? What does he do instead?
3. Describe Billy's thoughts as he travels from his grandfather's store to his family's home after finding out about the hunting competition.
4. How is the "ghost coon" able to evade the dogs?
5. Describe the exchange that takes place between Billy, Grandpa and the Pritchard boys.
6. What does Mr. Benson tell Billy that concerns him? What does Billy discover is actually true?
7. Describe how Billy's dogs catch the first two raccoons of the final round of the hunting competition.
8. Describe the role Old Blue plays in Chapter 13.
9. What warnings do Billy's father and grandfather give him about hunting in bad weather?
10. Describe the legend of the red fern.
This section contains 1,001 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)