|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What surprises the hunting contest judge about Billy's dogs' final catch?
(a) They worked together to tree the raccoon.
(b) They did not give up even though it was daybreak.
(c) They were able to find the raccoon again after he walked a rail fence.
(d) They chased the raccoon for miles.
2. What concerns Billy about Old Dan's behavior when he trees the animal in Chapter 18?
(a) He growls and bears his teeth.
(b) He abandons Little Ann.
(c) He tries to climb the tree.
(d) He will not leave the tree.
3. Why does Old Dan lure Billy out on to the ice pack?
(a) He is caught in the freezing water.
(b) Little Ann is caught in the freezing water.
(c) Little Ann has located the raccoon.
(d) He is caught on the ice.
4. How does Billy react when his grandfather tells him he has entered him into the hunting contest?
(a) He is surprised.
(b) He is ecstatic.
(c) He is put off.
(d) He is honored.
5. What happens to Grandpa while searching for Old Dan in the storm?
(a) He must stop to take a rest.
(b) He hurts his ankle.
(c) He becomes dehydrated.
(d) He falls and knocks himself unconscious and injures his ankle.
Short Answer Questions
1. What problem do the dogs face when the raccoon leads them to the river in Chapter 11?
2. Where does the "ghost coon" ultimately head for at the end of Chapter 12?
3. Why does Billy decide not to kill the "ghost coon"?
4. What amazes the other hunters about Old Dan and Little Ann's actions after chasing the raccoon through the river?
5. What challenge emerges at the beginning of Chapter 17?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Rainie Pritchard suggest that Billy should accept that his dogs cannot catch the "ghost coon"?
2. Describe how Billy's dogs catch the first two raccoons of the final round of the hunting competition.
3. What are the rules of the hunting competition?
4. Describe Billy's thoughts as he travels from his grandfather's store to his family's home after finding out about the hunting competition.
5. What warnings do Billy's father and grandfather give him about hunting in bad weather?
6. Why doesn't Billy follow his dogs to the third raccoon in the final round of the hunting competition? What does he do instead?
7. How is the "ghost coon" able to evade the dogs?
8. What does Billy do to prepare for the final round of the hunting competition?
9. Describe the struggle between Billy's dogs and the mountain lion.
10. Describe the legend of the red fern.
This section contains 990 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)