|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What concerns Billy about Old Dan's behavior when he trees the animal in Chapter 18?
(a) He will not leave the tree.
(b) He abandons Little Ann.
(c) He tries to climb the tree.
(d) He growls and bears his teeth.
2. What challenge emerges at the beginning of Chapter 17?
(a) It grows dark.
(b) It begins sleeting.
(c) The jackpot for the contest rises.
(d) Another hunter catches a raccoon.
3. Who ultimately kills the large scary animal in Chapter 18 that Old Dan had treed?
(c) Old Dan.
(d) Little Ann.
4. Why does Billy end up sleeping under the wagon with his dogs in Chapter 16?
(a) His grandfather's snoring keeps him awake.
(b) His father's snoring keeps him awake.
(c) He wants to comfort his tired dogs.
(d) He does not want to be away from them.
5. What does Billy's grandfather tell the boy he must bring with him to the hunting contest?
(a) Only his dogs.
(b) Only himself.
(c) All of the supplies he will need to hunt.
(d) His dogs and hunting ax.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Billy insist the group look for the dogs rather than wait for them to come back on their own?
2. What challenge do the Pritchard boys pose for Billy and the dogs?
3. What happens to Grandpa while searching for Old Dan in the storm?
4. What does Billy's father show him to help him feel better when Old Dan and Little Ann die?
5. What does Billy do to try and gain an advantage on his night of hunting in the contest?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Billy follow his dogs to the third raccoon in the final round of the hunting competition? What does he do instead?
2. How is the "ghost coon" able to evade the dogs?
3. What do Papa and Billy do upon returning home from the hunting competition? How does the family react?
4. Describe the legend of the red fern.
5. Describe the exchange that takes place between Billy, Grandpa and the Pritchard boys.
6. Describe the role Old Blue plays in Chapter 13.
7. Why does Rainie Pritchard suggest that Billy should accept that his dogs cannot catch the "ghost coon"?
8. Describe how Billy's dogs catch the first two raccoons of the final round of the hunting competition.
9. What warnings do Billy's father and grandfather give him about hunting in bad weather?
10. How does Papa believe the family's prayers have been answered in Chapter 19?
This section contains 1,012 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)