|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Billy do to help himself see the dogs in the fog in Chapter 11?
(a) He builds a fire near the shore of the river.
(b) He shines his flashlight on the ice pack.
(c) He inches closer to the ice pack.
(d) He tries to put his lantern on the ice pack using a length of cane.
2. What creature does Old Dan tree one day after the competition?
(a) A bobcat.
(b) A raccoon.
(c) A mountain lion.
(d) A cat.
3. Who does Billy think has planted the red fern?
(b) The dogs.
(d) His father.
4. What does Papa believe would have prevented Billy from moving with the family at the end of the book?
(a) A desire to stay near the dogs' graves.
(b) His grief over the dogs' deaths.
(c) A desire to stay near the river.
(d) Hunting with the dogs.
5. Which night does Billy draw to hunt in the contest?
(a) The first night.
(b) The fourth night.
(c) The last night.
(d) The third night.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who ultimately kills the large scary animal in Chapter 18 that Old Dan had treed?
2. What amazes the other hunters about Old Dan and Little Ann's actions after chasing the raccoon through the river?
3. What does Billy realize when he hears Old Dan bay while out on the ice?
4. When did Billy return to the Ozarks to visit the dogs' graves?
5. What concerns Billy about Old Dan's behavior when he trees the animal in Chapter 18?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the "ghost coon" able to evade the dogs?
2. Why doesn't Billy follow his dogs to the third raccoon in the final round of the hunting competition? What does he do instead?
3. Describe the exchange that takes place between Billy, Grandpa and the Pritchard boys.
4. Describe the role Old Blue plays in Chapter 13.
5. Describe how Billy's dogs catch the three raccoons that put him in the running for the gold cup.
6. What are the rules of the hunting competition?
7. Describe the struggle between Billy's dogs and the mountain lion.
8. Why does Rainie Pritchard suggest that Billy should accept that his dogs cannot catch the "ghost coon"?
9. What does Mr. Benson tell Billy that concerns him? What does Billy discover is actually true?
10. How does Papa believe the family's prayers have been answered in Chapter 19?
This section contains 1,095 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)