|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What amazes the other hunters about Old Dan and Little Ann's actions after chasing the raccoon through the river?
(a) They are not tired from swimming.
(b) They are able to swim even though they are small.
(c) They do not lose the scent of the raccoon when he goes in the water.
(d) They tend to each others' wounds before continuing to hunt.
2. How does the animal in Chapter 18 react to Old Dan's threat?
(a) It runs away.
(b) It attacks Old Dan.
(c) It hides in the tree.
(d) It attacks Little Ann.
3. in Chapter 14, what concern about Little Ann does Billy share with his father?
(a) She cannot keep up with Old Dan.
(b) She is gun shy.
(c) She is ill.
(d) She is sometimes too small to climb a tree.
4. What challenge do the Pritchard boys pose for Billy and the dogs?
(a) Catching the biggest raccoon.
(b) Treeing the "ghost coon."
(c) Selling the most pelts.
(d) Catching more raccoons than they have caught.
5. Why does Billy insist the group look for the dogs rather than wait for them to come back on their own?
(a) He does not feel confident they can find their way back.
(b) They are hunting in an unfamiliar area.
(c) He knows Little Ann will never leave a treed raccoon.
(d) He knows Old Dan will never leave a treed raccoon.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Billy's grandfather hold partly responsible for Rubin's death?
2. What does Billy's grandfather tell the boy he must bring with him to the hunting contest?
3. Which night does Billy draw to hunt in the contest?
4. What does Billy realize when he hears Old Dan bay while out on the ice?
5. How does Rainie Pritchard characterize Billy's grandfather?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Billy do to try and rescue Little Ann from the freezing river?
2. Why doesn't Billy follow his dogs to the third raccoon in the final round of the hunting competition? What does he do instead?
3. Describe Billy's thoughts as he travels from his grandfather's store to his family's home after finding out about the hunting competition.
4. How does Papa believe the family's prayers have been answered in Chapter 19?
5. What do Papa and Billy do upon returning home from the hunting competition? How does the family react?
6. Describe how Billy's dogs catch the three raccoons that put him in the running for the gold cup.
7. What does Mr. Benson tell Billy that concerns him? What does Billy discover is actually true?
8. Describe the exchange that takes place between Billy, Grandpa and the Pritchard boys.
9. Describe how Billy's dogs catch the first two raccoons of the final round of the hunting competition.
10. Describe the role Old Blue plays in Chapter 13.
This section contains 1,171 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)