|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What criteria must all entrants into the hunting contest in Chapter 14 meet?
(a) They need to have caught a certain number of raccoons.
(b) They must be seasoned hunters.
(c) They only have to pay a registration fee.
(d) They must be at least 18 years old.
2. Who does Billy's grandfather hold partly responsible for Rubin's death?
(d) The "ghost coon".
3. Why does Billy pay the Pritchard boys $2?
(a) He believes his dogs have failed him.
(b) He owed them for supplies purchased for hunting.
(c) He believes he has lost the bet since the dogs seem to have given up finding the "ghost coon".
(d) His grandfather instructed him to pay the boys regardless of the outcome of the bet.
4. Where does Little Ann find the "ghost coon" after Billy believes the bet is over?
(a) In a hollowed out tree.
(b) Down near the river.
(c) In a hollowed out gatepost.
(d) In the ghost tree.
5. Which of the following is NOT something Billy believes would be at the dogs' grave sites years later?
(a) The grave marker his father made.
(b) Red oaks.
(c) Red fern.
(d) An old rusty lantern.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the dogs pounce on a large scary animal in Chapter 18 that Old Dan had treed?
2. Where does Billy's family move to in Chapter 19?
3. in Chapter 14, what concern about Little Ann does Billy share with his father?
4. What does Billy's mother suggest will make him feel better when Old Dan and Little Ann die?
5. What challenge do the Pritchard boys pose for Billy and the dogs?
Short Essay Questions
1. Years after leaving the Ozarks, what does Billy imagine he would find if he should ever visit the dogs' graves?
2. What warnings do Billy's father and grandfather give him about hunting in bad weather?
3. What does Billy do to try and rescue Little Ann from the freezing river?
4. How does Papa believe the family's prayers have been answered in Chapter 19?
5. Describe the exchange that takes place between Billy, Grandpa and the Pritchard boys.
6. How is the "ghost coon" able to evade the dogs?
7. Describe Billy's thoughts as he travels from his grandfather's store to his family's home after finding out about the hunting competition.
8. How does Billy's family react to the news of the hunting competition?
9. Describe how Billy's dogs catch the first two raccoons of the final round of the hunting competition.
10. Describe the legend of the red fern.
This section contains 1,078 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)