|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do the dogs pounce on a large scary animal in Chapter 18 that Old Dan had treed?
(a) It looks like it might attack Billy.
(b) It attacks Billy.
(c) It growls at them.
(d) It stands in a threatening way.
2. What does Billy do to try and gain an advantage on his night of hunting in the contest?
(a) Take his father and grandfather along hunting.
(b) Encourage the dogs.
(c) Give the dogs a pep talk.
(d) Move out of the over-hunted area.
3. What concerns Billy about Old Dan's behavior when he trees the animal in Chapter 18?
(a) He abandons Little Ann.
(b) He will not leave the tree.
(c) He growls and bears his teeth.
(d) He tries to climb the tree.
4. Why does Billy visit his grandfather's store on the day he encounters the Pritchard boys?
(a) He is getting a sack of corn milled for his mother.
(b) He is dropping off pelts to be sold at the store.
(c) He is purchasing hunting supplies.
(d) He is visiting his grandfather.
5. Where does Little Ann find the "ghost coon" after Billy believes the bet is over?
(a) In the ghost tree.
(b) In a hollowed out tree.
(c) In a hollowed out gatepost.
(d) Down near the river.
Short Answer Questions
1. What challenge do the Pritchard boys pose for Billy and the dogs?
2. What challenge emerges at the beginning of Chapter 17?
3. Who does Billy think has planted the red fern?
4. What event at the beginning of Chapter 11 prevents Billy from hunting?
5. How does Rainie Pritchard characterize Billy's grandfather?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the rules of the hunting competition?
2. Describe Billy's thoughts as he travels from his grandfather's store to his family's home after finding out about the hunting competition.
3. How does Billy's family react to the news of the hunting competition?
4. Describe how Billy's dogs catch the first two raccoons of the final round of the hunting competition.
5. What warnings do Billy's father and grandfather give him about hunting in bad weather?
6. Years after leaving the Ozarks, what does Billy imagine he would find if he should ever visit the dogs' graves?
7. Why does Rainie Pritchard suggest that Billy should accept that his dogs cannot catch the "ghost coon"?
8. Describe how Billy's dogs catch the three raccoons that put him in the running for the gold cup.
9. Describe the legend of the red fern.
10. Describe the exchange that takes place between Billy, Grandpa and the Pritchard boys.
This section contains 971 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)