|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do the dogs pounce on a large scary animal in Chapter 18 that Old Dan had treed?
(a) It stands in a threatening way.
(b) It looks like it might attack Billy.
(c) It growls at them.
(d) It attacks Billy.
2. What challenge emerges at the beginning of Chapter 17?
(a) It begins sleeting.
(b) The jackpot for the contest rises.
(c) It grows dark.
(d) Another hunter catches a raccoon.
3. Why does Billy end up sleeping under the wagon with his dogs in Chapter 16?
(a) His grandfather's snoring keeps him awake.
(b) He wants to comfort his tired dogs.
(c) He does not want to be away from them.
(d) His father's snoring keeps him awake.
4. Who does Billy think has planted the red fern?
(a) The dogs.
(b) His father.
5. When did Billy return to the Ozarks to visit the dogs' graves?
(b) Once before his death.
(c) Shortly before he moved out of the state.
(d) Weekly after the family moved into town.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the Pritchard boys refuse to give Billy his money back?
2. Who does Billy's grandfather hold partly responsible for Rubin's death?
3. Where does Little Ann die?
4. Where does Billy's family move to in Chapter 19?
5. What is the significance of the red fern?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Billy's dogs catch the first two raccoons of the final round of the hunting competition.
2. Years after leaving the Ozarks, what does Billy imagine he would find if he should ever visit the dogs' graves?
3. What are the rules of the hunting competition?
4. Why does Rainie Pritchard suggest that Billy should accept that his dogs cannot catch the "ghost coon"?
5. What does Billy notice about the other dogs in the hunting competition?
6. What does Mr. Benson tell Billy that concerns him? What does Billy discover is actually true?
7. What does Billy do to try and rescue Little Ann from the freezing river?
8. Describe Billy's thoughts as he travels from his grandfather's store to his family's home after finding out about the hunting competition.
9. Why doesn't Billy follow his dogs to the third raccoon in the final round of the hunting competition? What does he do instead?
10. Describe the role Old Blue plays in Chapter 13.
This section contains 1,076 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)