|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What concerns Billy about Old Dan's behavior when he trees the animal in Chapter 18?
(a) He will not leave the tree.
(b) He abandons Little Ann.
(c) He tries to climb the tree.
(d) He growls and bears his teeth.
2. What does Papa do to get Little Ann to come back to Billy in Chapter 17?
(a) He shoots his gun.
(b) He pretends to be a raccoon.
(c) He calls to her.
(d) He lures her back with a treat.
3. What happens to Grandpa while searching for Old Dan in the storm?
(a) He falls and knocks himself unconscious and injures his ankle.
(b) He hurts his ankle.
(c) He must stop to take a rest.
(d) He becomes dehydrated.
4. Why does Billy decide not to kill the "ghost coon"?
(a) His grandfather tells him not to kill it.
(b) He wants to allow the dogs to kill it.
(c) He believes killing animals is immoral.
(d) When the raccoon cries, Billy is sympathetic to its feelings.
5. What event causes Little Ann to become sickly and weak?
(a) Billy's illness.
(b) The end of hunting season.
(c) The mountain lion's attack.
(d) Old Dan's death.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Billy think has planted the red fern?
2. What does Billy do to try and gain an advantage on his night of hunting in the contest?
3. What surprises the hunting contest judge about Billy's dogs' final catch?
4. How does Billy react when his grandfather tells him he has entered him into the hunting contest?
5. How does Billy prepare Little Ann for the beauty contest?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the exchange that takes place between Billy, Grandpa and the Pritchard boys.
2. What does Billy do to prepare for the final round of the hunting competition?
3. Describe the legend of the red fern.
4. How is the "ghost coon" able to evade the dogs?
5. What does Mr. Benson tell Billy that concerns him? What does Billy discover is actually true?
6. Describe how Billy's dogs catch the three raccoons that put him in the running for the gold cup.
7. How does Papa believe the family's prayers have been answered in Chapter 19?
8. What warnings do Billy's father and grandfather give him about hunting in bad weather?
9. Why does Rainie Pritchard suggest that Billy should accept that his dogs cannot catch the "ghost coon"?
10. What does Billy do to try and rescue Little Ann from the freezing river?
This section contains 1,046 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)