|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What surprises the hunting contest judge about Billy's dogs' final catch?
(a) They did not give up even though it was daybreak.
(b) They chased the raccoon for miles.
(c) They were able to find the raccoon again after he walked a rail fence.
(d) They worked together to tree the raccoon.
2. Why does Billy insist the group look for the dogs rather than wait for them to come back on their own?
(a) They are hunting in an unfamiliar area.
(b) He does not feel confident they can find their way back.
(c) He knows Old Dan will never leave a treed raccoon.
(d) He knows Little Ann will never leave a treed raccoon.
3. What does Billy realize when he hears Old Dan bay while out on the ice?
(a) He has found the raccoon.
(b) He is hurt.
(c) He has lost the scent of the raccoon.
(d) Something is wrong.
4. Why does Billy visit his grandfather's store on the day he encounters the Pritchard boys?
(a) He is purchasing hunting supplies.
(b) He is getting a sack of corn milled for his mother.
(c) He is dropping off pelts to be sold at the store.
(d) He is visiting his grandfather.
5. Why does Little Ann stop barking when she trees the "ghost coon"?
(a) She has lost his scent.
(b) She is unsure that he is actually in the tree.
(c) She is waiting for Old Dan to arrive.
(d) She is waiting for Billy to arrive.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who lays next to Old Dan's dead body before it is buried?
2. What concerns Billy about Old Dan's behavior when he trees the animal in Chapter 18?
3. Whose bragging helps build Billy's reputation as a hunter?
4. What event at the beginning of Chapter 11 prevents Billy from hunting?
5. What is the significance of the red fern?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the exchange that takes place between Billy, Grandpa and the Pritchard boys.
2. How is the "ghost coon" able to evade the dogs?
3. Describe the legend of the red fern.
4. Describe the struggle between Billy's dogs and the mountain lion.
5. Why does Rainie Pritchard suggest that Billy should accept that his dogs cannot catch the "ghost coon"?
6. How does Papa believe the family's prayers have been answered in Chapter 19?
7. Years after leaving the Ozarks, what does Billy imagine he would find if he should ever visit the dogs' graves?
8. What does Billy notice about the other dogs in the hunting competition?
9. Describe how Billy's dogs catch the first two raccoons of the final round of the hunting competition.
10. How does Billy's family react to the news of the hunting competition?
This section contains 1,126 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)