|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Billy react when his grandfather tells him he has entered him into the hunting contest?
(a) He is surprised.
(b) He is put off.
(c) He is honored.
(d) He is ecstatic.
2. Why does Old Dan lure Billy out on to the ice pack?
(a) He is caught on the ice.
(b) Little Ann is caught in the freezing water.
(c) Little Ann has located the raccoon.
(d) He is caught in the freezing water.
3. What event causes Little Ann to become sickly and weak?
(a) Old Dan's death.
(b) The end of hunting season.
(c) The mountain lion's attack.
(d) Billy's illness.
4. How does the group find Old Dan in Chapter 17?
(a) They call to him.
(b) They follow the coon.
(c) They hear him baying.
(d) Little Ann leads them to him.
5. How does Billy prepare Little Ann for the beauty contest?
(a) By teaching her commands.
(b) By telling her she is a beautiful dog.
(c) By brushing and rubbing butter into her hair.
(d) By brushing and rubbing hair oil into her hair.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Billy do to help himself see the dogs in the fog in Chapter 11?
2. Where does the "ghost coon" ultimately head for at the end of Chapter 12?
3. Which of the following is NOT something Billy believes would be at the dogs' grave sites years later?
4. What does Billy realize when he hears Old Dan bay while out on the ice?
5. What creature does Old Dan tree one day after the competition?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the exchange that takes place between Billy, Grandpa and the Pritchard boys.
2. Why doesn't Billy follow his dogs to the third raccoon in the final round of the hunting competition? What does he do instead?
3. What does Billy do to try and rescue Little Ann from the freezing river?
4. Describe how Billy's dogs catch the three raccoons that put him in the running for the gold cup.
5. What does Mr. Benson tell Billy that concerns him? What does Billy discover is actually true?
6. What does Billy do to prepare for the final round of the hunting competition?
7. Describe the legend of the red fern.
8. How does Billy's family react to the news of the hunting competition?
9. What warnings do Billy's father and grandfather give him about hunting in bad weather?
10. Describe the role Old Blue plays in Chapter 13.
This section contains 1,128 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)