|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Little Ann die?
(a) In the woods.
(b) On the hill where the mountain lion attacked.
(c) At Billy's home.
(d) On Old Dan's grave.
2. What creature does Old Dan tree one day after the competition?
(a) A bobcat.
(b) A raccoon.
(c) A cat.
(d) A mountain lion.
3. How does Billy react when his grandfather tells him he has entered him into the hunting contest?
(a) He is honored.
(b) He is surprised.
(c) He is put off.
(d) He is ecstatic.
4. What does Billy's father show him to help him feel better when Old Dan and Little Ann die?
(a) A grave marker he made for the dogs.
(b) A new puppy.
(c) The home the family is buying in town.
(d) The money he earned through hunting.
5. When did Billy return to the Ozarks to visit the dogs' graves?
(a) Weekly after the family moved into town.
(c) Shortly before he moved out of the state.
(d) Once before his death.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Billy realize when he hears Old Dan bay while out on the ice?
2. Who becomes separated from the group during the storm?
3. Where does the "ghost coon" ultimately head for at the end of Chapter 12?
4. How does the group find Old Dan in Chapter 17?
5. Which of the following is NOT something Billy believes would be at the dogs' grave sites years later?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Papa believe the family's prayers have been answered in Chapter 19?
2. How does Billy's family react to the news of the hunting competition?
3. What do Papa and Billy do upon returning home from the hunting competition? How does the family react?
4. Describe the struggle between Billy's dogs and the mountain lion.
5. Describe the legend of the red fern.
6. Describe how Billy's dogs catch the first two raccoons of the final round of the hunting competition.
7. What does Mr. Benson tell Billy that concerns him? What does Billy discover is actually true?
8. Years after leaving the Ozarks, what does Billy imagine he would find if he should ever visit the dogs' graves?
9. Why does Rainie Pritchard suggest that Billy should accept that his dogs cannot catch the "ghost coon"?
10. What does Billy notice about the other dogs in the hunting competition?
This section contains 1,076 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)