|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Papa believe would have prevented Billy from moving with the family at the end of the book?
(a) A desire to stay near the dogs' graves.
(b) A desire to stay near the river.
(c) His grief over the dogs' deaths.
(d) Hunting with the dogs.
2. Who lays next to Old Dan's dead body before it is buried?
(a) Billy's sisters.
(c) Billy and Little Ann.
(d) Little Ann.
3. Where does Little Ann find the "ghost coon" after Billy believes the bet is over?
(a) In a hollowed out tree.
(b) In the ghost tree.
(c) Down near the river.
(d) In a hollowed out gatepost.
4. What does Grandpa give Billy in Chapter 15 that marks him as an adult?
(a) A gun.
(b) A cup of coffee.
5. Why do the Pritchard boys refuse to give Billy his money back?
(a) They believe that the dogs must kill the raccoon in order for the bet to be won.
(b) They are cowards.
(c) They say he owed them the money.
(d) They are unfair.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Old Dan lure Billy out on to the ice pack?
2. What does Billy realize when he hears Old Dan bay while out on the ice?
3. What happens to Grandpa while searching for Old Dan in the storm?
4. What challenge do the Pritchard boys pose for Billy and the dogs?
5. What creature does Old Dan tree one day after the competition?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Rainie Pritchard suggest that Billy should accept that his dogs cannot catch the "ghost coon"?
2. Describe the legend of the red fern.
3. Describe how Billy's dogs catch the first two raccoons of the final round of the hunting competition.
4. What does Billy do to prepare for the final round of the hunting competition?
5. Describe how Billy's dogs catch the three raccoons that put him in the running for the gold cup.
6. How does Billy's family react to the news of the hunting competition?
7. What are the rules of the hunting competition?
8. What do Papa and Billy do upon returning home from the hunting competition? How does the family react?
9. What warnings do Billy's father and grandfather give him about hunting in bad weather?
10. Describe the exchange that takes place between Billy, Grandpa and the Pritchard boys.
This section contains 953 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)