|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following words best characterizes Billy in Chapter 8?
2. What does Billy do with the bag of candy from his grandfather's store?
(a) Shares it with his entire family.
(b) Eats it on the way home.
(c) Shares it with his sisters.
(d) Hides it from his sisters.
3. What does Billy's grandfather tell Billy he will need to have to finish cutting down the tree?
(a) Determination and will power.
(b) Faith in God.
(c) Focus and determination.
(d) A new ax.
4. What does Billy's father give him to help him cope with not getting hound puppies?
(a) A coonskin hat.
(b) A kitten.
(d) A collie puppy.
5. What does Billy notice about the size of the puppies in Chapter 5?
(a) The female dog is larger than the male dog.
(b) Both dogs are larger than he expected.
(c) The male dog is larger than the female dog.
(d) Both of the dogs are smaller than he expected.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Billy decide to walk to Tahlequah?
2. What does Billy do to gather strength when he believes he can no longer chop the tree down?
3. How does Billy react to the town of Tahlequah?
4. Based on the unnamed man's actions at the end of Chapter 1, what is likely to be the focus of the Chapter 2?
5. What does Billy do each morning when he returns home from hunting?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Billy's parents react to him asking how far it is to Kentucky? What information are they lacking?
2. What concerns Mama about Billy's obsession with hunting?
3. Describe the redbone hound in Chapter 1.
4. Describe the events between the tree falling down and Billy's return home.
5. What connection does the author make between the redbone hound in the first chapter and Billy's dogs in Chapter 6?
6. Describe the contents of the ad Billy finds in the old sportsman's magazine.
7. Based on information in Chapter 1, why does the unnamed old man take such an interest in the redbone hound?
8. What is Billy's first impression of the Tahlequah stationmaster? Why does his impression change?
9. Describe the actions Billy takes to earn enough money to purchase two hound puppies.
10. What measures does Papa take in Chapter 2 to help Billy deal with his overwhelming desire for two puppies?
This section contains 992 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)