|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following phrases does NOT characterize Old Dan?
(a) Sweet and loving.
(b) Little Ann's protector.
(c) Devoted to Billy.
(d) Tough, but friendly.
2. How old is Billy when he finally has enough money to buy the puppies?
3. What does Billy use to make collars for the puppies?
(b) Bailing wire.
(c) Pieces of his fathers' check lines.
(d) Leather from old shoes.
4. How does Billy plan on paying his grandfather for the bag of candy he gets from his store?
(a) By working in his grandfather's store.
(b) With the earnings from the sale of his first coonskin.
(c) With the money he has saved.
(d) With money he got for his birthday.
5. What do the other hunters tease Billy about when they talk at his grandfather's store?
(a) The size of his dogs.
(b) His age.
(c) His obsession with hunting.
(d) That one of his dogs is female.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Old Dan leave Billy's home during the night in Chapter 9?
2. Why does Billy try to get the dogs to stay at home when he takes hides to his grandfather's store?
3. What does Old Dan do when Little Ann cuts her paw?
4. What fear must Billy help the puppies overcome?
5. What does Billy's mother think has happened to him when he comes home yelling after visiting the traps in Chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. What concerns Mama about Billy's obsession with hunting?
2. What does Billy notice about the other dogs in the hunting competition?
3. Describe the role Old Blue plays in Chapter 13.
4. Describe Billy's shopping experience in the general store in Tahlequah.
5. Why does Rainie Pritchard suggest that Billy should accept that his dogs cannot catch the "ghost coon"?
6. Describe how Billy's dogs catch the three raccoons that put him in the running for the gold cup.
7. Compare and contrast Billy and his father's views of the town of Tahlequah.
8. Describe the actions Billy takes to earn enough money to purchase two hound puppies.
9. What is the significance of the abandoned campsite for Billy?
10. What does Billy do with the money he earns from hunting? Why does he do this?
This section contains 1,053 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)