|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many years has it been since the unnamed man in Chapter 1 first met his two dogs?
(a) More than 20 years.
(b) More than 5 years.
(c) More than 25 years.
(d) More than 50 years.
2. What happens to Old Dan when he follows a raccoon under water during a hunt?
(a) He nearly drowns because he cannot swim well.
(b) He demonstrates his strength and bravery.
(c) He becomes caught in a muskrat den.
(d) He becomes caught in a beaver dam.
3. What fear must Billy help the puppies overcome?
(a) A fear of dark places.
(b) A fear of trees.
(c) A fear of raccoons.
(d) A fear of water.
4. Where does the unnamed man assume the dog in Chapter 1 lives?
(a) In the woods.
(b) Snake River.
(c) The Ozark Mountains.
5. Which of the following words best characterizes Billy in Chapter 8?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Billy's grandfather believe the price of coonskins will increase?
2. How does the woman watching Billy play in the playground in Tahlequah react to what happens to Billy?
3. What item does Billy need to train the dogs as trackers?
4. What does Billy's mother think has happened to him when he comes home yelling after visiting the traps in Chapter 7?
5. How does Billy react to the town of Tahlequah?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Little Ann outsmarts the raccoon in Chapter 8.
2. How do Billy's parents react to him asking how far it is to Kentucky? What information are they lacking?
3. What measures does Papa take in Chapter 2 to help Billy deal with his overwhelming desire for two puppies?
4. Why is Billy confused by the Tahlequah townspeople's reactions to his actions and appearance?
5. What does Billy do when he despairs that he cannot finish cutting down the tree? What happens after he does so?
6. What surprises and touches Billy's grandfather in the later part of Chapter 3?
7. Describe how Billy's dogs catch the three raccoons that put him in the running for the gold cup.
8. Describe how Billy's dogs catch the first two raccoons of the final round of the hunting competition.
9. What does Billy do to prepare for the final round of the hunting competition?
10. Describe the actions Billy takes to earn enough money to purchase two hound puppies.
This section contains 1,017 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)