|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Billy's overwhelming desire for hound puppies affect him physically?
(a) He becomes angry and violent.
(b) He is unable to complete his chores.
(c) He loses his appetite.
(d) He stops speaking.
2. What does Billy decide to name the puppies?
(a) Dan and Ann.
(b) Boy and Girl.
(c) Billy and Megan.
(d) Daniel and Annabelle.
3. Why does Billy refuse his father's suggestion of what to do the morning after his pups have treed their first raccoon?
(a) He has given his word to the dogs that he will get the raccoon out.
(b) He is desperate to catch his first coon alone.
(c) He wants to prove he is a man.
(d) He does not want his father to be injured.
4. How old is Billy when he finally has enough money to buy the puppies?
5. How does Billy characterize Tahlequah when talking with his father in Chapter 6?
(a) As unpleasant.
(b) As exciting.
(c) As confusing.
(d) As wonderful.
Short Answer Questions
1. What secret does Billy's grandfather keep for him?
2. How does Billy plan on paying his grandfather for the bag of candy he gets from his store?
3. What does the dog's presence in Chapter 1 awaken in the unnamed man?
4. How much money does Billy need to earn to purchase two hound puppies?
5. Why does Old Dan not want to get into Billy's grandfather's buggy in Chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Billy's feelings about his family's home change when he returns home from his journey to Tahlequah?
2. Describe "The Big Tree".
3. What does Billy discover about the two dogs when they camp in the cave?
4. How does Billy's family help him while he is trying to cut down the giant sycamore?
5. Why is Billy so committed to cutting down the sycamore tree?
6. Describe Billy's shopping experience in the general store in Tahlequah.
7. What is Billy's first impression of the Tahlequah stationmaster? Why does his impression change?
8. What surprises and touches Billy's grandfather in the later part of Chapter 3?
9. Describe the incident in with the muskrat den.
10. Describe the redbone hound in Chapter 1.
This section contains 948 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)