|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Tahlequah schoolboy do that leads Billy to hit him in Chapter 5?
(a) The boy pulls the ears of one of the puppies.
(b) The boy tries to steal the puppies.
(c) The boy steps on Billy's bare foot with his cowboy boot.
(d) The boy makes fun of Billy's appearance.
2. How does Billy first react when he sees the puppies?
(a) He scoops them up and kisses them.
(b) He is stunned that they are actually his now.
(c) He is frightened by their size.
(d) He cries with joy.
3. What does Billy's mother think has happened to him when he comes home yelling after visiting the traps in Chapter 7?
(a) He has caught a raccoon.
(b) He has been bitten by a raccoon.
(c) He has been bitten by a snake.
(d) One of the puppies has become injured.
4. What problem does Billy face when the dogs finally tree a raccoon?
(a) He has forgotten his ax.
(b) The tree it is in is the largest in the area.
(c) He is not sure what to do with the dogs while he gets the raccoon out.
(d) The raccoon jumps out of the tree.
5. Who helps Billy train the puppies?
(a) His youngest sister.
(b) Billy's grandfather.
(c) His older sister.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mama do to help alleviate the muscle pain Billy is experiencing in Chapter 9?
2. How many traps does Billy set up near the river in Chapter 7?
3. Why does Billy decide to chop down the tree in Chapter 8 that the dogs have treed their first raccoon in?
4. What event helps Mama understand why Billy is determined to cut down "The Big Tree"?
5. What fear must Billy help the puppies overcome?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the puppies react to the first raccoon that they encounter?
2. Compare and contrast Old Dan and Little Ann as they are described by Billy in Chapter 10.
3. Describe the actions Billy takes to earn enough money to purchase two hound puppies.
4. What does Billy discover about the two dogs when they camp in the cave?
5. How does Billy train the dogs to track raccoons?
6. What character traits does Billy exhibit when the children on the playground in Tahlequah harass his dogs? How does he demonstrate these traits?
7. What measures does Papa take in Chapter 2 to help Billy deal with his overwhelming desire for two puppies?
8. How do Billy's feelings about his family's home change when he returns home from his journey to Tahlequah?
9. What is Billy's first impression of the Tahlequah stationmaster? Why does his impression change?
10. Describe Billy's shopping experience in the general store in Tahlequah.
This section contains 1,062 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)