|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Billy react in Chapter 6 when he discovers his mother's concern for his absence?
(a) He is oblivious to her concern.
(b) He buries his head in her lap and cries.
(c) He feels guilty and sad.
(d) He is angry that his grandfather told his parents where he was.
2. What does Billy use as a piggy bank?
(a) A jar.
(b) An old sock.
(c) An old baking powder can.
(d) An old soda can.
3. What does Billy's grandfather suggest in Chapter 9 the boy do to keep the coon in the tree while he goes home to rest?
(a) Construct and place a scarecrow at the base of the tree.
(b) Tie the dogs to the tree.
(c) Command the dogs to lie down at the base of the tree.
(d) Take the dogs home with him.
4. What does Old Dan do when Little Ann cuts her paw?
(a) He leaves her to be cared for by Billy's sisters.
(b) He stays with her rather than going hunting alone with Billy.
(c) He fights the animal who hurt Little Ann.
(d) He nurses her back to health.
5. What does Billy tell his mother is the reason why he was able to get the puppies?
(a) He borrowed money from his grandfather.
(b) God answered his prayer.
(c) He earned the money over three summers.
(d) His grandfather surprised him with the puppies.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who arrives to check on Billy in Chapter 8 when he has not returned home from hunting by morning?
2. Which of the following is NOT a realization Billy comes to upon returning home with the puppies?
3. What does Billy seemingly randomly ask his family that shocks and entertains them in Chapter 4?
4. What prevents Billy's parents from buying him the puppies he wants?
5. Where does Billy camp with the puppies in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what Billy and the other hunters talk about as they sell their hides in Billy's grandfather's store.
2. Why is Billy confused by the Tahlequah townspeople's reactions to his actions and appearance?
3. What is the significance of the abandoned campsite for Billy?
4. What does Billy do when he despairs that he cannot finish cutting down the tree? What happens after he does so?
5. Describe the events between the tree falling down and Billy's return home.
6. What is Billy's first impression of the Tahlequah stationmaster? Why does his impression change?
7. What concerns Mama about Billy's obsession with hunting?
8. How does Billy's desire for hunting dogs fit with his ability to purchase the dogs?
9. What memories does the redbone hound stir up for the unnamed old man in Chapter 1?
10. What surprises and touches Billy's grandfather in the later part of Chapter 3?
This section contains 1,043 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)