|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the dog in Chapter 1 show the unnamed man he is feeling better?
(a) He eats a large amount of food.
(b) He licks him.
(c) He makes himself at home in the man's house.
(d) He leaves to walk back home.
2. How does Billy react when the women in Tahlequah criticize him while walking through town with his puppies?
(a) He gets into a fight with the women.
(b) He ignores their comments.
(c) He makes fun of the feathers in their hats.
(d) He begins crying.
3. How does the boy dog demonstrate his courage in this chapter?
(a) He chases a raccoon
(b) He barks at the cries of a mountain lion
(c) He chases a mountain lion
(d) He protects Billy and the girl puppy
4. What did Billy bring to Tahlequah to carry the puppies home in?
(a) A gunny sack.
(b) A box.
(c) A backpack.
(d) A wagon.
5. What does Billy tell his mother is the reason why he was able to get the puppies?
(a) God answered his prayer.
(b) He earned the money over three summers.
(c) His grandfather surprised him with the puppies.
(d) He borrowed money from his grandfather.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Billy's grandfather believe the price of coonskins will increase?
2. What does the Tahlequah schoolboy do that leads Billy to hit him in Chapter 5?
3. Why does Billy refuse his father's suggestion of what to do the morning after his pups have treed their first raccoon?
4. At the age of ten, what does Billy desperately want to have?
5. How much money does Billy need to earn to purchase two hound puppies?
Short Essay Questions
1. Based on information in Chapter 1, why does the unnamed old man take such an interest in the redbone hound?
2. What connection does the author make between the redbone hound in the first chapter and Billy's dogs in Chapter 6?
3. How does Billy's grandfather help him at the beginning of Chapter 9?
4. Describe the events between the tree falling down and Billy's return home.
5. Describe the area that Billy lives in as a kid.
6. Describe what Billy and the other hunters talk about as they sell their hides in Billy's grandfather's store.
7. Why is Billy confused by the Tahlequah townspeople's reactions to his actions and appearance?
8. What surprises and touches Billy's grandfather in the later part of Chapter 3?
9. What does Billy do when he despairs that he cannot finish cutting down the tree? What happens after he does so?
10. Describe the redbone hound in Chapter 1.
This section contains 1,051 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)