|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Billy discover about the dogs when he wakes in the morning in Chapter 9?
(a) The dogs are more determined than he is.
(b) Old Dan is missing.
(c) The dogs are as tired as he is.
(d) Little Ann is missing.
2. Why do the children at the playground in Tahlequah make fun of Billy?
(a) They say he looks like a hillbilly because he is not wearing shoes.
(b) They can tell he lives in another state.
(c) He is not attending school.
(d) His hair needs to be cut.
3. What problem does Billy face when the dogs finally tree a raccoon?
(a) The raccoon jumps out of the tree.
(b) He has forgotten his ax.
(c) The tree it is in is the largest in the area.
(d) He is not sure what to do with the dogs while he gets the raccoon out.
4. What does Papa instruct Billy to do to his traps once he has caught his first raccoon?
(a) Move the traps to the house to save for later.
(b) Take the traps apart and only use the pups to hunt.
(c) Move his traps to another location.
(d) Take the traps apart and never hunt again.
5. Who arrives to check on Billy in Chapter 8 when he has not returned home from hunting by morning?
(a) Billy's grandfather.
(d) Billy's oldest sister.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Old Dan run up a hollow tree during a hunt?
2. After purchasing the puppies, who does Billy credit with his good fortune in Chapter 6?
3. Which of the following is NOT something Billy's grandfather agrees to do to help the boy purchase the puppies?
4. What does Billy seemingly randomly ask his family that shocks and entertains them in Chapter 4?
5. Where does Billy's family live when he is ten?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Billy's first impression of the Tahlequah stationmaster? Why does his impression change?
2. What connection does the author make between the redbone hound in the first chapter and Billy's dogs in Chapter 6?
3. Describe the actions Billy takes to earn enough money to purchase two hound puppies.
4. How do Billy's parents react to him asking how far it is to Kentucky? What information are they lacking?
5. How does Billy train the dogs to track raccoons?
6. Why is Billy so committed to cutting down the sycamore tree?
7. What surprises and touches Billy's grandfather in the later part of Chapter 3?
8. What does Billy discover about the two dogs when they camp in the cave?
9. How does Billy's desire for hunting dogs fit with his ability to purchase the dogs?
10. What is the significance of the abandoned campsite for Billy?
This section contains 1,056 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)