|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Billy try to get the dogs to stay at home when he takes hides to his grandfather's store?
(a) There are other dogs there that try to fight with Old Dan and Little Ann.
(b) The dogs are not allowed inside the store.
(c) Billy's grandfather does not like dogs.
(d) The dogs always want treats from the store.
2. After Billy's dogs have treed their first raccoon, who arrives later in the day to check on Billy?
(a) His older sister.
(b) Billy's grandfather.
3. Which of the following phrases does NOT characterize Little Ann?
(a) Extremely intelligent.
(b) Mama's helper.
(c) Old Dan's protector.
(d) Sweet and loving.
4. How does Billy's grandfather help him get the item he needs to train the dogs as trackers?
(a) He purchases one for Billy from a local hunter.
(b) He gives Billy hunting traps to use.
(c) He gives Billy one he had from when he was a boy.
(d) He teaches Billy how to create a trap using a log, nails and a piece of tin.
5. How does Billy react to the town of Tahlequah?
(a) He is frightened.
(b) He is confused.
(c) He is excited.
(d) He is overwhelmed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Billy tell his mother is the reason why he was able to get the puppies?
2. Why does the unnamed man in Chapter 1 leave his gate open?
3. Why does Old Dan not want to get into Billy's grandfather's buggy in Chapter 9?
4. How did Billy's father discover he had traveled to Tahlequah to pick up the puppies?
5. Which of the following is NOT something Billy's grandfather agrees to do to help the boy purchase the puppies?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does the unnamed old man in Chapter 1 assume the hound lives? Why?
2. How does Billy train the dogs to track raccoons?
3. What measures does Papa take in Chapter 2 to help Billy deal with his overwhelming desire for two puppies?
4. Describe "The Big Tree".
5. Compare and contrast Old Dan and Little Ann as they are described by Billy in Chapter 10.
6. How does Billy's desire for hunting dogs fit with his ability to purchase the dogs?
7. Describe the actions Billy takes to earn enough money to purchase two hound puppies.
8. What does Billy discover about the two dogs when they camp in the cave?
9. What is Billy's first impression of the Tahlequah stationmaster? Why does his impression change?
10. What concerns Mama about Billy's obsession with hunting?
This section contains 1,065 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)