|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is significant about what Billy finds at the campsite?
(a) It contains an article about hound puppies.
(b) It contains an ad for hound puppies.
(c) It is outdated.
(d) It contains valuable hunting tips.
2. What does Billy observe the boys at the playground in Tahlequah doing that he wants to try for himself?
(a) Swinging on the swings.
(c) Sliding down a pipe.
(d) Playing ball.
3. What event helps Mama understand why Billy is determined to cut down "The Big Tree"?
(a) Old Dan's return to the tree during the night.
(b) Billy's aching muscles.
(c) Billy's faith in God.
(d) Little Ann's return to the tree during the night.
4. What does Billy tell his mother is the reason why he was able to get the puppies?
(a) He earned the money over three summers.
(b) He borrowed money from his grandfather.
(c) God answered his prayer.
(d) His grandfather surprised him with the puppies.
5. Which of the following words best characterizes Billy in Chapter 8?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Little Ann do in Chapter 8 that shows Billy she has not fallen for the raccoon's trick?
2. Where will Billy need to pick up his puppies?
3. What does Billy like to do for fun in Chapter 2?
4. Where does the unnamed man assume the dog in Chapter 1 lives?
5. Why does Old Dan leave Billy's home during the night in Chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the area that Billy lives in as a kid.
2. How do Billy's parents react to him asking how far it is to Kentucky? What information are they lacking?
3. Describe the actions Billy takes to earn enough money to purchase two hound puppies.
4. Describe what happens after Billy sets up the raccoon traps along the river in Chapter 7.
5. How does Billy's desire for hunting dogs fit with his ability to purchase the dogs?
6. What does Billy do with the candy his grandfather gives him in Chapter 3? What does this demonstrate about his character?
7. Where does the unnamed old man in Chapter 1 assume the hound lives? Why?
8. Based on information in Chapter 1, why does the unnamed old man take such an interest in the redbone hound?
9. Describe the process Billy's grandfather teaches him for trapping raccoons.
10. Describe "The Big Tree".
This section contains 1,081 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)