|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Billy's mother think has happened to him when he comes home yelling after visiting the traps in Chapter 7?
(a) He has been bitten by a raccoon.
(b) He has been bitten by a snake.
(c) He has caught a raccoon.
(d) One of the puppies has become injured.
2. What does Billy's father give him to help him cope with not getting hound puppies?
(b) A kitten.
(c) A collie puppy.
(d) A coonskin hat.
3. Why does Billy's mother punish him in Chapter 7?
(a) For leaving to pick up the puppies without telling her.
(b) For going hunting without permission.
(c) For using her good scissors to cut a tin can.
(d) For taking a tin can from the junk pile without permission.
4. Which of the following phrases does NOT characterize Little Ann?
(a) Old Dan's protector.
(b) Sweet and loving.
(c) Mama's helper.
(d) Extremely intelligent.
5. How does Billy plan on paying his grandfather for the bag of candy he gets from his store?
(a) With money he got for his birthday.
(b) With the money he has saved.
(c) With the earnings from the sale of his first coonskin.
(d) By working in his grandfather's store.
Short Answer Questions
1. What breed of dog does Billy's father offer to get for him?
2. Why does Old Dan run up a hollow tree during a hunt?
3. What does Billy tell his mother is the reason why he was able to get the puppies?
4. Which of the following is NOT a way that the unnamed man in Chapter 1 helps the dog?
5. How much money does Billy need to earn to purchase two hound puppies?
Short Essay Questions
1. What measures does Papa take in Chapter 2 to help Billy deal with his overwhelming desire for two puppies?
2. What does Billy do with the money he earns from hunting? Why does he do this?
3. Describe the contents of the ad Billy finds in the old sportsman's magazine.
4. How do Billy's parents react to him asking how far it is to Kentucky? What information are they lacking?
5. What surprises and touches Billy's grandfather in the later part of Chapter 3?
6. What does Billy discover about the two dogs when they camp in the cave?
7. Compare and contrast Billy and his father's views of the town of Tahlequah.
8. Describe the process Billy's grandfather teaches him for trapping raccoons.
9. Describe what happens after Billy sets up the raccoon traps along the river in Chapter 7.
10. Describe the actions Billy takes to earn enough money to purchase two hound puppies.
This section contains 1,077 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)