|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following words best characterizes Billy's reaction to the Tahlequah townspeople's comments about his appearance?
2. What does Billy trap in his new hunting traps in Chapter 2?
(a) Samie, the pet cat.
(b) A deer.
(d) Several raccoons.
3. Upon bringing them home, where does Billy intend for the puppies to sleep?
(a) In the family's yard.
(b) In the doghouse he constructs.
(c) In his bed.
(d) In his sisters' beds.
4. What does Billy notice about the size of the puppies in Chapter 5?
(a) Both dogs are larger than he expected.
(b) The female dog is larger than the male dog.
(c) Both of the dogs are smaller than he expected.
(d) The male dog is larger than the female dog.
5. After purchasing the puppies, who does Billy credit with his good fortune in Chapter 6?
(b) His grandfather.
(c) His father.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Billy discover about the dogs when he wakes in the morning in Chapter 9?
2. What does Billy do each morning when he returns home from hunting?
3. At the age of ten, what does Billy desperately want to have?
4. Which of the following phrases does NOT characterize Old Dan?
5. How does Billy's grandfather react when Billy shows him the money he has saved?
Short Essay Questions
1. What surprises and touches Billy's grandfather in the later part of Chapter 3?
2. What character traits does Billy exhibit when the children on the playground in Tahlequah harass his dogs? How does he demonstrate these traits?
3. How does Billy's family react to the news of the hunting competition?
4. Describe what Billy and the other hunters talk about as they sell their hides in Billy's grandfather's store.
5. Compare and contrast Billy and his father's views of the town of Tahlequah.
6. Years after leaving the Ozarks, what does Billy imagine he would find if he should ever visit the dogs' graves?
7. What does Billy notice about the other dogs in the hunting competition?
8. Describe what happens after Billy sets up the raccoon traps along the river in Chapter 7.
9. How do Billy's parents react to him asking how far it is to Kentucky? What information are they lacking?
10. Describe Billy's shopping experience in the general store in Tahlequah.
This section contains 1,166 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)