|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT a way Billy earns money for the puppies?
(a) He catches and sells bait to fishermen.
(b) He works in the fields with his father.
(c) He picks berries to sell at his grandfather's store.
(d) He sells vegetables.
2. How does Billy characterize Tahlequah when talking with his father in Chapter 6?
(a) As unpleasant.
(b) As confusing.
(c) As exciting.
(d) As wonderful.
3. How does Billy react when the women in Tahlequah criticize him while walking through town with his puppies?
(a) He ignores their comments.
(b) He gets into a fight with the women.
(c) He begins crying.
(d) He makes fun of the feathers in their hats.
4. Which of the following is NOT a way that the unnamed man in Chapter 1 helps the dog?
(a) He rescues him from the pack of dogs who are attacking him.
(b) He allows him to rest.
(c) He takes him to a vet.
(d) He bathes and feeds him.
5. How did Billy's father discover he had traveled to Tahlequah to pick up the puppies?
(a) He received a phone call from the Tahlequah depot stationmaster.
(b) He received a letter from the Tahlequah deport stationmaster.
(c) He was unaware of Billy's travels until the boy returned home.
(d) He talked to Billy's grandfather.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Billy tell his mother is the reason why he was able to get the puppies?
2. What does Little Ann do in Chapter 8 that shows Billy she has not fallen for the raccoon's trick?
3. Based on the unnamed man's actions at the end of Chapter 1, what is likely to be the focus of the Chapter 2?
4. Why does Billy become concerned when the Tahlequah marshal breaks up the fight?
5. How does Billy react in Chapter 6 when he discovers his mother's concern for his absence?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Billy's parents react to him asking how far it is to Kentucky? What information are they lacking?
2. Describe the actions Billy takes to earn enough money to purchase two hound puppies.
3. In Chapter 9, what do the dogs do during the night while Billy is sleeping in his bed? How does Billy discover their actions?
4. How does Billy train the dogs to track raccoons?
5. Describe Billy's travels from Oklahoma to Tahlequah.
6. How does Billy's grandfather help him at the beginning of Chapter 9?
7. What concerns Mama about Billy's obsession with hunting?
8. How do Billy's feelings about his family's home change when he returns home from his journey to Tahlequah?
9. What surprises and touches Billy's grandfather in the later part of Chapter 3?
10. What measures does Papa take in Chapter 2 to help Billy deal with his overwhelming desire for two puppies?
This section contains 1,143 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)