|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Billy's overwhelming desire for hound puppies affect him physically?
(a) He loses his appetite.
(b) He becomes angry and violent.
(c) He stops speaking.
(d) He is unable to complete his chores.
2. How long does it take Billy to catch his first raccoon in the traps?
(a) One day.
(b) Exactly one week.
(c) More than a month.
(d) More than a week.
3. How does Billy's grandfather help him get the item he needs to train the dogs as trackers?
(a) He purchases one for Billy from a local hunter.
(b) He gives Billy one he had from when he was a boy.
(c) He gives Billy hunting traps to use.
(d) He teaches Billy how to create a trap using a log, nails and a piece of tin.
4. How does Billy react in Chapter 6 when he discovers his mother's concern for his absence?
(a) He buries his head in her lap and cries.
(b) He is oblivious to her concern.
(c) He is angry that his grandfather told his parents where he was.
(d) He feels guilty and sad.
5. How does Billy help his father in Chapter 3?
(a) By not asking him for the puppies any longer.
(b) By taking care of his sisters.
(c) By performing chores around the house.
(d) By working in the fields with him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Old Dan leave Billy's home during the night in Chapter 9?
2. Why do the children at the playground in Tahlequah make fun of Billy?
3. What does Billy's grandfather tell Billy he will need to have to finish cutting down the tree?
4. Why does the general store owner offer Billy a pair of shoes?
5. What does Billy observe the boys at the playground in Tahlequah doing that he wants to try for himself?
Short Essay Questions
1. What measures does Papa take in Chapter 2 to help Billy deal with his overwhelming desire for two puppies?
2. How do Billy's parents react to him asking how far it is to Kentucky? What information are they lacking?
3. Describe the incident in with the muskrat den.
4. How does Billy's family help him while he is trying to cut down the giant sycamore?
5. What is Billy's first impression of the Tahlequah stationmaster? Why does his impression change?
6. Describe what Billy and the other hunters talk about as they sell their hides in Billy's grandfather's store.
7. Describe Billy's shopping experience in the general store in Tahlequah.
8. How do Billy's feelings about his family's home change when he returns home from his journey to Tahlequah?
9. How does Billy train the dogs to track raccoons?
10. How do the puppies react to the first raccoon that they encounter?
This section contains 1,045 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)