|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does the unnamed man in Chapter 1 notice fighting as he walks home?
(a) Two boys.
(d) A man and a woman.
2. Why does Billy become disillusioned with his new hunting traps?
(a) They break easily.
(b) They are not appropriate for catching raccoons.
(c) He is unable to catch a raccoon.
(d) He doesn't know how to operate them properly.
3. Why does Billy think the sycamore tree falling is an example of divine intervention?
(a) He has prayed for assistance.
(b) The breeze that blows it down does not affect any other tree in the area.
(c) He has a strong faith in God.
(d) He has an unnatural ability to continue chopping despite the pain.
4. How many traps does Billy set up near the river in Chapter 7?
5. What does Billy observe the boys at the playground in Tahlequah doing that he wants to try for himself?
(a) Swinging on the swings.
(c) Sliding down a pipe.
(d) Playing ball.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Old Dan run up a hollow tree during a hunt?
2. What does Billy's father give him to help him cope with not getting hound puppies?
3. How old is Billy when his first hunting season opens?
4. What does Billy trap in his new hunting traps in Chapter 2?
5. How does Billy characterize the female puppy in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Billy's first impression of the Tahlequah stationmaster? Why does his impression change?
2. In Chapter 9, what do the dogs do during the night while Billy is sleeping in his bed? How does Billy discover their actions?
3. Compare and contrast Old Dan and Little Ann as they are described by Billy in Chapter 10.
4. How does Billy's family help him while he is trying to cut down the giant sycamore?
5. What is the significance of the abandoned campsite for Billy?
6. Why is Billy confused by the Tahlequah townspeople's reactions to his actions and appearance?
7. Describe the actions Billy takes to earn enough money to purchase two hound puppies.
8. How does Billy's desire for hunting dogs fit with his ability to purchase the dogs?
9. Describe the process Billy's grandfather teaches him for trapping raccoons.
10. What does Billy discover about the two dogs when they camp in the cave?
This section contains 1,076 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)