|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Billy tell his mother is the reason why he was able to get the puppies?
(a) He borrowed money from his grandfather.
(b) He earned the money over three summers.
(c) God answered his prayer.
(d) His grandfather surprised him with the puppies.
2. What event helps Mama understand why Billy is determined to cut down "The Big Tree"?
(a) Billy's aching muscles.
(b) Little Ann's return to the tree during the night.
(c) Old Dan's return to the tree during the night.
(d) Billy's faith in God.
3. What compromise is Billy willing to make because of his parents' financial difficulties?
(a) He is willing to take on a part time job.
(b) He tells his parents he will wait to get the puppies.
(c) He asks for only one hound puppy.
(d) He agrees to stop asking for the puppies.
4. How does Billy characterize the female puppy in Chapter 5?
(a) As docile.
(b) As weak.
(c) As courageous.
(d) As smart.
5. How does Billy characterize Tahlequah when talking with his father in Chapter 6?
(a) As exciting.
(b) As confusing.
(c) As wonderful.
(d) As unpleasant.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Billy trap in his new hunting traps in Chapter 2?
2. Why does the general store owner offer Billy a pair of shoes?
3. What does the individual who visits Billy in the afternoon after his pups have treed their first raccoon bring him?
4. Which of the following is NOT a way that the unnamed man in Chapter 1 helps the dog?
5. Who does the unnamed man in Chapter 1 notice fighting as he walks home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Billy discover about the two dogs when they camp in the cave?
2. Describe Billy's shopping experience in the general store in Tahlequah.
3. Compare and contrast Old Dan and Little Ann as they are described by Billy in Chapter 10.
4. Where does the unnamed old man in Chapter 1 assume the hound lives? Why?
5. What memories does the redbone hound stir up for the unnamed old man in Chapter 1?
6. Describe the events between the tree falling down and Billy's return home.
7. What is Billy's first impression of the Tahlequah stationmaster? Why does his impression change?
8. Describe the process Billy's grandfather teaches him for trapping raccoons.
9. Why is Billy confused by the Tahlequah townspeople's reactions to his actions and appearance?
10. Describe the redbone hound in Chapter 1.
This section contains 1,003 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)