|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Billy's mother punish him in Chapter 7?
(a) For going hunting without permission.
(b) For taking a tin can from the junk pile without permission.
(c) For leaving to pick up the puppies without telling her.
(d) For using her good scissors to cut a tin can.
2. What does Billy's grandfather suggest in Chapter 9 the boy do to keep the coon in the tree while he goes home to rest?
(a) Construct and place a scarecrow at the base of the tree.
(b) Tie the dogs to the tree.
(c) Take the dogs home with him.
(d) Command the dogs to lie down at the base of the tree.
3. What does Billy's grandfather tell Billy he will need to have to finish cutting down the tree?
(a) Focus and determination.
(b) Determination and will power.
(c) A new ax.
(d) Faith in God.
4. How does Billy plan on paying his grandfather for the bag of candy he gets from his store?
(a) With the earnings from the sale of his first coonskin.
(b) With money he got for his birthday.
(c) By working in his grandfather's store.
(d) With the money he has saved.
5. What information does Billy's father give him in Chapter 6 about town life that surprises Billy?
(a) His father has never been into a town.
(b) He intends to move to town to open a store.
(c) He intends to move the family to town at some point in the future.
(d) His father grew up in a town like Tahlequah.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 5, what does Billy see the train stationmaster doing that gives him the courage to enter the depot?
2. Where will Billy need to pick up his puppies?
3. Which of the following is NOT an attribute that the unnamed man in Chapter 1 notices when examining the dog?
4. What does Billy notice about the size of the puppies in Chapter 5?
5. What does Billy do to gather strength when he believes he can no longer chop the tree down?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the puppies react to the first raccoon that they encounter?
2. How does Billy's grandfather help him at the beginning of Chapter 9?
3. What does Billy do with the money he earns from hunting? Why does he do this?
4. Describe what Billy and the other hunters talk about as they sell their hides in Billy's grandfather's store.
5. Describe the process Billy's grandfather teaches him for trapping raccoons.
6. Describe the contents of the ad Billy finds in the old sportsman's magazine.
7. What measures does Papa take in Chapter 2 to help Billy deal with his overwhelming desire for two puppies?
8. What connection does the author make between the redbone hound in the first chapter and Billy's dogs in Chapter 6?
9. How does Billy's family help him while he is trying to cut down the giant sycamore?
10. How does Billy train the dogs to track raccoons?
This section contains 1,101 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)