|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT something Billy's grandfather agrees to do to help the boy purchase the puppies?
(a) Keep Billy's plan to purchase the puppies a secret.
(b) Contact the kennel to make sure they are still in business.
(c) Place the order for the dogs.
(d) Lend Billy the money to purchase the puppies.
2. What happens to Old Dan when he follows a raccoon under water during a hunt?
(a) He nearly drowns because he cannot swim well.
(b) He becomes caught in a beaver dam.
(c) He demonstrates his strength and bravery.
(d) He becomes caught in a muskrat den.
3. Why does Old Dan not want to get into Billy's grandfather's buggy in Chapter 9?
(a) He does not want to leave Little Ann.
(b) He is afraid of the buggy.
(c) He is not tired and hungry.
(d) He does not want to leave the coon in the tree.
4. What does Billy discover about the dogs when he wakes in the morning in Chapter 9?
(a) The dogs are as tired as he is.
(b) The dogs are more determined than he is.
(c) Old Dan is missing.
(d) Little Ann is missing.
5. Where will Billy need to pick up his puppies?
(a) At his grandfather's store.
(b) At a depot in Kentucky.
(c) At the kennel he ordered them from.
(d) At a depot in Oklahoma.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Billy decide to name the puppies?
2. Where do Billy and the puppies stop to rest on their journey home from Tahlequah?
3. Why does Billy think the sycamore tree falling is an example of divine intervention?
4. How does Billy react in Chapter 6 when he discovers his mother's concern for his absence?
5. What type of dog is being attacked by the other dogs in Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Billy do with the money he earns from hunting? Why does he do this?
2. Where does the unnamed old man in Chapter 1 assume the hound lives? Why?
3. Compare and contrast Old Dan and Little Ann as they are described by Billy in Chapter 10.
4. What character traits does Billy exhibit when the children on the playground in Tahlequah harass his dogs? How does he demonstrate these traits?
5. What is Billy's first impression of the Tahlequah stationmaster? Why does his impression change?
6. Describe Billy's travels from Oklahoma to Tahlequah.
7. Describe the redbone hound in Chapter 1.
8. What is the significance of the abandoned campsite for Billy?
9. How does Billy's desire for hunting dogs fit with his ability to purchase the dogs?
10. What connection does the author make between the redbone hound in the first chapter and Billy's dogs in Chapter 6?
This section contains 1,052 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)