|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Billy when he tries to join in with the activity the children at the playground in Tahlequah are participating in?
(a) The children laugh at him.
(b) He splatters on to the ground.
(c) He is too frightened to slide down.
(d) He gets caught on the pipe.
2. What does Billy's grandfather tell Billy he will need to have to finish cutting down the tree?
(a) Determination and will power.
(b) A new ax.
(c) Focus and determination.
(d) Faith in God.
3. Why does Billy choose the particular names for the puppies that he does?
(a) They are his grandparents' names.
(b) He saw them in an old sportsman's magazine.
(c) His sisters choose the names.
(d) He sees them carved on a tree at the campsite where he found the sportsman's magazine.
4. What does Mama make out of Billy's first coonskin?
(a) A blanket.
(b) A rucksack.
(c) A hat.
(d) A coat.
5. What does Billy use to make collars for the puppies?
(a) Bailing wire.
(b) Pieces of his fathers' check lines.
(c) Leather from old shoes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What information does Billy's father give him in Chapter 6 about town life that surprises Billy?
2. What does Billy's father give him to help him cope with not getting hound puppies?
3. What does Billy trap in his new hunting traps in Chapter 2?
4. Which of the following is NOT a realization Billy comes to upon returning home with the puppies?
5. Who arrives to check on Billy in Chapter 8 when he has not returned home from hunting by morning?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the area that Billy lives in as a kid.
2. How do Billy's parents react to him asking how far it is to Kentucky? What information are they lacking?
3. What does Billy do with the candy his grandfather gives him in Chapter 3? What does this demonstrate about his character?
4. How does Billy's desire for hunting dogs fit with his ability to purchase the dogs?
5. What is the significance of the abandoned campsite for Billy?
6. What is Billy's first impression of the Tahlequah stationmaster? Why does his impression change?
7. Describe what happens after Billy sets up the raccoon traps along the river in Chapter 7.
8. Describe Billy's shopping experience in the general store in Tahlequah.
9. Based on information in Chapter 1, why does the unnamed old man take such an interest in the redbone hound?
10. How do Billy's feelings about his family's home change when he returns home from his journey to Tahlequah?
This section contains 1,075 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)