|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the other hunters tease Billy about when they talk at his grandfather's store?
(a) His age.
(b) That one of his dogs is female.
(c) His obsession with hunting.
(d) The size of his dogs.
2. What secret does Billy's grandfather keep for him?
(a) His hound puppy purchase.
(b) His plan to save money to order the hound puppies.
(c) His continued interest in getting two puppies.
(d) His plan to run away from home to become a hunter.
3. How did Billy's father discover he had traveled to Tahlequah to pick up the puppies?
(a) He was unaware of Billy's travels until the boy returned home.
(b) He received a letter from the Tahlequah deport stationmaster.
(c) He received a phone call from the Tahlequah depot stationmaster.
(d) He talked to Billy's grandfather.
4. What does Billy do to gather strength when he believes he can no longer chop the tree down?
(a) He prays to God for strength.
(b) He looks at the faces of his two dogs.
(c) He rests and eats a hot meal.
(d) He asks his father for help.
5. What impresses the Tahlequah marshal about Billy?
(a) His willingness to work hard to purchase the puppies.
(b) His self-assured attitude.
(c) His interest in hunting.
(d) His willingness to stick up for his puppies.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Billy's overwhelming desire for hound puppies affect him physically?
2. Which of the following phrases does NOT characterize Little Ann?
3. Which of the following is NOT one of the items Billy purchases with his final $10 in Chapter 4?
4. What happens to Billy when he tries to join in with the activity the children at the playground in Tahlequah are participating in?
5. Why do the children at the playground in Tahlequah make fun of Billy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Billy so committed to cutting down the sycamore tree?
2. What does Billy do to try and rescue Little Ann from the freezing river?
3. Why is Billy confused by the Tahlequah townspeople's reactions to his actions and appearance?
4. Describe Billy's shopping experience in the general store in Tahlequah.
5. What surprises and touches Billy's grandfather in the later part of Chapter 3?
6. Describe how Little Ann outsmarts the raccoon in Chapter 8.
7. What warnings do Billy's father and grandfather give him about hunting in bad weather?
8. What are Billy's first impressions of Tahlequah?
9. What is the significance of the abandoned campsite for Billy?
10. What measures does Papa take in Chapter 2 to help Billy deal with his overwhelming desire for two puppies?
This section contains 1,097 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)