|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT a way Billy earns money for the puppies?
(a) He picks berries to sell at his grandfather's store.
(b) He catches and sells bait to fishermen.
(c) He works in the fields with his father.
(d) He sells vegetables.
2. What does Billy's grandfather suggest in Chapter 9 the boy do to keep the coon in the tree while he goes home to rest?
(a) Command the dogs to lie down at the base of the tree.
(b) Construct and place a scarecrow at the base of the tree.
(c) Take the dogs home with him.
(d) Tie the dogs to the tree.
3. What type of dog is being attacked by the other dogs in Chapter 1?
(a) A retriever.
(b) A redbone hound dog.
(c) An Irish setter.
(d) A bloodhound.
4. What does Little Ann do just as Billy is about to move the dogs to a new location in Chapter 8?
(a) She begins barking.
(b) She finds the coon's trail again.
(c) She crosses the river.
(d) She trees a coon.
5. What event helps Mama understand why Billy is determined to cut down "The Big Tree"?
(a) Billy's faith in God.
(b) Billy's aching muscles.
(c) Little Ann's return to the tree during the night.
(d) Old Dan's return to the tree during the night.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Billy first react when he sees the puppies?
2. How does Billy characterize Tahlequah when talking with his father in Chapter 6?
3. What does Billy see for the first time in the general store window in Chapter 4?
4. Who arrives to check on Billy in Chapter 8 when he has not returned home from hunting by morning?
5. Which of the following is NOT something Billy's grandfather agrees to do to help the boy purchase the puppies?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe what Billy and the other hunters talk about as they sell their hides in Billy's grandfather's store.
2. Describe Billy's travels from Oklahoma to Tahlequah.
3. What does Billy do with the candy his grandfather gives him in Chapter 3? What does this demonstrate about his character?
4. Compare and contrast Old Dan and Little Ann as they are described by Billy in Chapter 10.
5. What character traits does Billy exhibit when the children on the playground in Tahlequah harass his dogs? How does he demonstrate these traits?
6. Where does the unnamed old man in Chapter 1 assume the hound lives? Why?
7. In Chapter 9, what do the dogs do during the night while Billy is sleeping in his bed? How does Billy discover their actions?
8. Describe how Little Ann outsmarts the raccoon in Chapter 8.
9. Describe the actions Billy takes to earn enough money to purchase two hound puppies.
10. Describe "The Big Tree".
This section contains 1,088 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)