|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Billy when he tries to join in with the activity the children at the playground in Tahlequah are participating in?
(a) He gets caught on the pipe.
(b) He is too frightened to slide down.
(c) He splatters on to the ground.
(d) The children laugh at him.
2. What does the unnamed man in Chapter 1 conclude about the dog after noticing his paws are worn?
(a) He has traveled a long way.
(b) He has been taken hunting many times.
(c) He has been abused.
(d) He has walked through the woods.
3. What does the Tahlequah marshal give Billy before he leaves Tahlequah?
(a) A pair of shoes.
(c) A ride to the main road.
(d) A soda.
4. Which of the following phrases does NOT characterize Old Dan?
(a) Devoted to Billy.
(b) Little Ann's protector.
(c) Tough, but friendly.
(d) Sweet and loving.
5. Why does Billy become concerned when the Tahlequah marshal breaks up the fight?
(a) He is afraid the marshal will put him in jail for fighting.
(b) He thinks the marshal will also hit him.
(c) He is afraid the marshal will confiscate the puppies.
(d) He thinks the marshal will arrest him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Billy run away from home?
2. What does Billy decide to name the puppies?
3. Who arrives to check on Billy in Chapter 8 when he has not returned home from hunting by morning?
4. Why does Billy try to get the dogs to stay at home when he takes hides to his grandfather's store?
5. What does Billy's mother think has happened to him when he comes home yelling after visiting the traps in Chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the redbone hound in Chapter 1.
2. How do the puppies react to the first raccoon that they encounter?
3. Describe how Billy's dogs catch the three raccoons that put him in the running for the gold cup.
4. What does Billy do with the money he earns from hunting? Why does he do this?
5. Describe what Billy and the other hunters talk about as they sell their hides in Billy's grandfather's store.
6. Describe Billy's thoughts as he travels from his grandfather's store to his family's home after finding out about the hunting competition.
7. How does Billy's grandfather help him at the beginning of Chapter 9?
8. What connection does the author make between the redbone hound in the first chapter and Billy's dogs in Chapter 6?
9. Describe the area that Billy lives in as a kid.
10. What does Billy do with the candy his grandfather gives him in Chapter 3? What does this demonstrate about his character?
This section contains 1,038 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)