|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What compromise is Billy willing to make because of his parents' financial difficulties?
(a) He tells his parents he will wait to get the puppies.
(b) He is willing to take on a part time job.
(c) He agrees to stop asking for the puppies.
(d) He asks for only one hound puppy.
2. How does Billy react when the women in Tahlequah criticize him while walking through town with his puppies?
(a) He ignores their comments.
(b) He gets into a fight with the women.
(c) He makes fun of the feathers in their hats.
(d) He begins crying.
3. How many traps does Billy set up near the river in Chapter 7?
4. Who does the unnamed man in Chapter 1 notice fighting as he walks home?
(b) Two boys.
(d) A man and a woman.
5. Why does Billy feel badly for scolding Little Ann when they return to the sycamore tree in Chapter 9?
(a) He sees that she also returned to the tree during the night.
(b) She is the more sensitive of the two dogs.
(c) He realizes she is responsible for finding the coon.
(d) She looks sad and despondent.
Short Answer Questions
1. What secret does Billy's grandfather keep for him?
2. What does Billy decide to name the puppies?
3. What did Billy bring to Tahlequah to carry the puppies home in?
4. How old is Billy when he finally has enough money to buy the puppies?
5. Why does the general store owner offer Billy a pair of shoes?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Billy do with the candy his grandfather gives him in Chapter 3? What does this demonstrate about his character?
2. What memories does the redbone hound stir up for the unnamed old man in Chapter 1?
3. What connection does the author make between the redbone hound in the first chapter and Billy's dogs in Chapter 6?
4. Describe the contents of the ad Billy finds in the old sportsman's magazine.
5. Describe Billy's travels from Oklahoma to Tahlequah.
6. In Chapter 9, what do the dogs do during the night while Billy is sleeping in his bed? How does Billy discover their actions?
7. What surprises and touches Billy's grandfather in the later part of Chapter 3?
8. Describe what happens after Billy sets up the raccoon traps along the river in Chapter 7.
9. How do the puppies react to the first raccoon that they encounter?
10. What does Billy do with the money he earns from hunting? Why does he do this?
This section contains 997 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)