|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Billy visit his grandfather's store on the day he encounters the Pritchard boys?
(a) He is visiting his grandfather.
(b) He is dropping off pelts to be sold at the store.
(c) He is getting a sack of corn milled for his mother.
(d) He is purchasing hunting supplies.
2. Why does Billy end up sleeping under the wagon with his dogs in Chapter 16?
(a) His father's snoring keeps him awake.
(b) He wants to comfort his tired dogs.
(c) His grandfather's snoring keeps him awake.
(d) He does not want to be away from them.
3. Who lays next to Old Dan's dead body before it is buried?
(a) Little Ann.
(b) Billy and Little Ann.
(c) Billy's sisters.
4. What does Grandpa give Billy in Chapter 15 that marks him as an adult?
(b) A gun.
(d) A cup of coffee.
5. How does Rainie Pritchard characterize Billy's grandfather?
(a) As dishonest.
(b) As mean.
(c) As wealthy.
(d) As fair.
6. How does Billy prepare Little Ann for the beauty contest?
(a) By telling her she is a beautiful dog.
(b) By brushing and rubbing hair oil into her hair.
(c) By brushing and rubbing butter into her hair.
(d) By teaching her commands.
7. Which night does Billy draw to hunt in the contest?
(a) The last night.
(b) The third night.
(c) The fourth night.
(d) The first night.
8. What surprises Billy's grandfather about Little Ann and Old Dan's relationship?
(a) They are like a mother and child.
(b) They compliment each other well.
(c) They are not competitive.
(d) They share everything.
9. How does the animal in Chapter 18 react to Old Dan's threat?
(a) It hides in the tree.
(b) It runs away.
(c) It attacks Old Dan.
(d) It attacks Little Ann.
10. How many raccoons do Billy and the dogs catch during the hunting contest?
11. What does Billy hear during the night in Chapter 15 that he takes as a bad omen?
(a) The sound of screech owls.
(b) A storm coming.
(c) Old Dan baying.
(d) The sound of mockingbirds.
12. Where does Billy's family move to in Chapter 19?
(a) The Ozark Mountains.
(b) A home closer to town.
(d) The city.
13. Why does Billy pay the Pritchard boys $2?
(a) He owed them for supplies purchased for hunting.
(b) His grandfather instructed him to pay the boys regardless of the outcome of the bet.
(c) He believes he has lost the bet since the dogs seem to have given up finding the "ghost coon".
(d) He believes his dogs have failed him.
14. What does Billy's mother suggest will make him feel better when Old Dan and Little Ann die?
(a) Remembering the good times he had with the dogs.
(b) Getting new dogs.
(c) Praying to God.
(d) Eating dinner.
15. What does Billy realize when he hears Old Dan bay while out on the ice?
(a) He has found the raccoon.
(b) Something is wrong.
(c) He is hurt.
(d) He has lost the scent of the raccoon.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Little Ann find the "ghost coon" after Billy believes the bet is over?
2. What does Billy find when he visits to the dogs' graves before leaving home?
3. How does the group find Old Dan in Chapter 17?
4. What does Billy do to help himself see the dogs in the fog in Chapter 11?
5. Where do the dogs chase a raccoon to in Chapter 11?
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)