|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT something Billy believes would be at the dogs' grave sites years later?
(a) The grave marker his father made.
(b) An old rusty lantern.
(c) Red oaks.
(d) Red fern.
2. What does Papa do to get Little Ann to come back to Billy in Chapter 17?
(a) He calls to her.
(b) He shoots his gun.
(c) He lures her back with a treat.
(d) He pretends to be a raccoon.
3. What event at the beginning of Chapter 11 prevents Billy from hunting?
(a) The end of the hunting season.
(b) The flu.
(c) A snow blizzard.
(d) Injuries to his dogs.
4. When did Billy return to the Ozarks to visit the dogs' graves?
(a) Shortly before he moved out of the state.
(c) Once before his death.
(d) Weekly after the family moved into town.
5. What surprises Billy's grandfather about Little Ann and Old Dan's relationship?
(a) They are not competitive.
(b) They share everything.
(c) They are like a mother and child.
(d) They compliment each other well.
6. What event causes Little Ann to become sickly and weak?
(a) Billy's illness.
(b) Old Dan's death.
(c) The end of hunting season.
(d) The mountain lion's attack.
7. What does Billy do to help himself see the dogs in the fog in Chapter 11?
(a) He tries to put his lantern on the ice pack using a length of cane.
(b) He shines his flashlight on the ice pack.
(c) He inches closer to the ice pack.
(d) He builds a fire near the shore of the river.
8. How does Billy react when his grandfather tells him he has entered him into the hunting contest?
(a) He is surprised.
(b) He is honored.
(c) He is put off.
(d) He is ecstatic.
9. What concerns Billy about Old Dan's behavior when he trees the animal in Chapter 18?
(a) He abandons Little Ann.
(b) He tries to climb the tree.
(c) He growls and bears his teeth.
(d) He will not leave the tree.
10. How many raccoons do Billy and the dogs catch during the hunting contest?
11. Where does Billy's family move to in Chapter 19?
(a) The city.
(c) The Ozark Mountains.
(d) A home closer to town.
12. What does Billy finally notice about his mother as the family discusses the hunting competition over dinner?
(a) She truly loves his father.
(b) She is kind and understanding.
(c) She is pregnant.
(d) She is supportive of his hunting career.
13. Where does Billy bury the dogs when they die?
(a) Under a sycamore tree.
(b) Next to the family's cabin.
(c) Near the river.
(d) At the base of a red oak tree.
14. Where do the dogs chase a raccoon to in Chapter 11?
(a) Billy's family's home.
(b) A tree.
(d) The river.
15. Why does Billy insist the group look for the dogs rather than wait for them to come back on their own?
(a) He does not feel confident they can find their way back.
(b) They are hunting in an unfamiliar area.
(c) He knows Old Dan will never leave a treed raccoon.
(d) He knows Little Ann will never leave a treed raccoon.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Little Ann find the "ghost coon" after Billy believes the bet is over?
2. Whose bragging helps build Billy's reputation as a hunter?
3. What challenge do the Pritchard boys pose for Billy and the dogs?
4. Why is Billy concerned about entering one of the dogs into the best looking dog contest?
5. What does Billy do to try and gain an advantage on his night of hunting in the contest?
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)