|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Rainie Pritchard characterize Billy's grandfather?
(a) As fair.
(b) As mean.
(c) As dishonest.
(d) As wealthy.
2. What surprises Billy's grandfather about Little Ann and Old Dan's relationship?
(a) They share everything.
(b) They compliment each other well.
(c) They are like a mother and child.
(d) They are not competitive.
3. Whose bragging helps build Billy's reputation as a hunter?
(a) His father's.
(b) His mother's.
(c) His grandfather's.
(d) His own.
4. What concerns Billy about Old Dan's behavior when he trees the animal in Chapter 18?
(a) He growls and bears his teeth.
(b) He tries to climb the tree.
(c) He abandons Little Ann.
(d) He will not leave the tree.
5. Why does Old Dan lure Billy out on to the ice pack?
(a) He is caught in the freezing water.
(b) Little Ann is caught in the freezing water.
(c) He is caught on the ice.
(d) Little Ann has located the raccoon.
6. Who ultimately kills the large scary animal in Chapter 18 that Old Dan had treed?
(b) Old Dan.
(c) Little Ann.
7. What challenge emerges at the beginning of Chapter 17?
(a) It grows dark.
(b) The jackpot for the contest rises.
(c) Another hunter catches a raccoon.
(d) It begins sleeting.
8. Where does Little Ann die?
(a) At Billy's home.
(b) On the hill where the mountain lion attacked.
(c) In the woods.
(d) On Old Dan's grave.
9. Where does Little Ann find the "ghost coon" after Billy believes the bet is over?
(a) In the ghost tree.
(b) Down near the river.
(c) In a hollowed out gatepost.
(d) In a hollowed out tree.
10. Who does Billy think has planted the red fern?
(a) His father.
(b) The dogs.
11. Why does Billy pay the Pritchard boys $2?
(a) He believes his dogs have failed him.
(b) He owed them for supplies purchased for hunting.
(c) He believes he has lost the bet since the dogs seem to have given up finding the "ghost coon".
(d) His grandfather instructed him to pay the boys regardless of the outcome of the bet.
12. What challenge do the Pritchard boys pose for Billy and the dogs?
(a) Selling the most pelts.
(b) Catching the biggest raccoon.
(c) Treeing the "ghost coon."
(d) Catching more raccoons than they have caught.
13. What event at the beginning of Chapter 11 prevents Billy from hunting?
(a) A snow blizzard.
(b) The end of the hunting season.
(c) The flu.
(d) Injuries to his dogs.
14. What does Billy discover when he climbs the ghost tree in Chapter 13?
(a) The raccoon was never there.
(b) The tree is still blooming.
(c) The raccoon is not there.
(d) The raccoon is treed in it.
15. What does Billy finally notice about his mother as the family discusses the hunting competition over dinner?
(a) She is pregnant.
(b) She is supportive of his hunting career.
(c) She is kind and understanding.
(d) She truly loves his father.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Billy's family move to in Chapter 19?
2. What does Grandpa give Billy in Chapter 15 that marks him as an adult?
3. How does the group find Old Dan in Chapter 17?
4. What creature does Old Dan tree one day after the competition?
5. What amazes the other hunters about Old Dan and Little Ann's actions after chasing the raccoon through the river?
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)