|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Billy finally notice about his mother as the family discusses the hunting competition over dinner?
(a) She is supportive of his hunting career.
(b) She is pregnant.
(c) She truly loves his father.
(d) She is kind and understanding.
2. Why is Billy concerned about entering one of the dogs into the best looking dog contest?
(a) He is not concerned about their looks, only their hunting abilities.
(b) He believes they are too small.
(c) He does not want to hurt the feelings of either dog.
(d) He is afraid of losing the contest.
3. Why does Old Dan lure Billy out on to the ice pack?
(a) Little Ann has located the raccoon.
(b) He is caught in the freezing water.
(c) Little Ann is caught in the freezing water.
(d) He is caught on the ice.
4. What problem do the dogs face when the raccoon leads them to the river in Chapter 11?
(a) The ice on the river is slippery.
(b) The river is frozen.
(c) They lose the scent of the coon.
(d) The water is too cold to swim in.
5. What event causes Little Ann to become sickly and weak?
(a) Billy's illness.
(b) Old Dan's death.
(c) The mountain lion's attack.
(d) The end of hunting season.
6. Where does Billy's family move to in Chapter 19?
(b) The Ozark Mountains.
(c) The city.
(d) A home closer to town.
7. What amazes the other hunters about Old Dan and Little Ann's actions after chasing the raccoon through the river?
(a) They do not lose the scent of the raccoon when he goes in the water.
(b) They are not tired from swimming.
(c) They tend to each others' wounds before continuing to hunt.
(d) They are able to swim even though they are small.
8. Why does Little Ann stop barking when she trees the "ghost coon"?
(a) She is waiting for Billy to arrive.
(b) She is unsure that he is actually in the tree.
(c) She is waiting for Old Dan to arrive.
(d) She has lost his scent.
9. What does Billy do to help himself see the dogs in the fog in Chapter 11?
(a) He builds a fire near the shore of the river.
(b) He tries to put his lantern on the ice pack using a length of cane.
(c) He inches closer to the ice pack.
(d) He shines his flashlight on the ice pack.
10. What does Papa do to get Little Ann to come back to Billy in Chapter 17?
(a) He shoots his gun.
(b) He calls to her.
(c) He pretends to be a raccoon.
(d) He lures her back with a treat.
11. Why does Billy insist the group look for the dogs rather than wait for them to come back on their own?
(a) He knows Old Dan will never leave a treed raccoon.
(b) They are hunting in an unfamiliar area.
(c) He does not feel confident they can find their way back.
(d) He knows Little Ann will never leave a treed raccoon.
12. Which night does Billy draw to hunt in the contest?
(a) The third night.
(b) The fourth night.
(c) The first night.
(d) The last night.
13. What does Billy's grandfather tell the boy he must bring with him to the hunting contest?
(a) Only himself.
(b) Only his dogs.
(c) All of the supplies he will need to hunt.
(d) His dogs and hunting ax.
14. Who ultimately kills the large scary animal in Chapter 18 that Old Dan had treed?
(b) Old Dan.
(c) Little Ann.
15. What happens to Grandpa while searching for Old Dan in the storm?
(a) He hurts his ankle.
(b) He falls and knocks himself unconscious and injures his ankle.
(c) He becomes dehydrated.
(d) He must stop to take a rest.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Papa believe would have prevented Billy from moving with the family at the end of the book?
2. What happens to Grandpa as the dogs chase their second raccoon?
3. What surprises Billy's grandfather about Little Ann and Old Dan's relationship?
4. How does the group find Old Dan in Chapter 17?
5. What does Billy discover when he climbs the ghost tree in Chapter 13?
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)