|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Papa believe would have prevented Billy from moving with the family at the end of the book?
(a) A desire to stay near the river.
(b) Hunting with the dogs.
(c) His grief over the dogs' deaths.
(d) A desire to stay near the dogs' graves.
2. Why does Billy decide not to kill the "ghost coon"?
(a) When the raccoon cries, Billy is sympathetic to its feelings.
(b) He wants to allow the dogs to kill it.
(c) His grandfather tells him not to kill it.
(d) He believes killing animals is immoral.
3. How many raccoons do Billy and the dogs catch during the hunting contest?
4. Who lays next to Old Dan's dead body before it is buried?
(a) Little Ann.
(b) Billy's sisters.
(c) Billy and Little Ann.
5. What does Billy hear during the night in Chapter 15 that he takes as a bad omen?
(a) The sound of mockingbirds.
(b) The sound of screech owls.
(c) A storm coming.
(d) Old Dan baying.
6. What challenge do the Pritchard boys pose for Billy and the dogs?
(a) Catching the biggest raccoon.
(b) Treeing the "ghost coon."
(c) Selling the most pelts.
(d) Catching more raccoons than they have caught.
7. What event causes Little Ann to become sickly and weak?
(a) Old Dan's death.
(b) Billy's illness.
(c) The mountain lion's attack.
(d) The end of hunting season.
8. What criteria must all entrants into the hunting contest in Chapter 14 meet?
(a) They need to have caught a certain number of raccoons.
(b) They must be at least 18 years old.
(c) They must be seasoned hunters.
(d) They only have to pay a registration fee.
9. What does Billy's grandfather tell the boy he must bring with him to the hunting contest?
(a) All of the supplies he will need to hunt.
(b) His dogs and hunting ax.
(c) Only his dogs.
(d) Only himself.
10. Where does Billy bury the dogs when they die?
(a) Near the river.
(b) Next to the family's cabin.
(c) At the base of a red oak tree.
(d) Under a sycamore tree.
11. Why does Billy end up sleeping under the wagon with his dogs in Chapter 16?
(a) His grandfather's snoring keeps him awake.
(b) He wants to comfort his tired dogs.
(c) His father's snoring keeps him awake.
(d) He does not want to be away from them.
12. What is the significance of the red fern?
(a) It is supposedly a gift from God.
(b) It is supposedly planted by an angel at the grave site of two children.
(c) It usually only grows in warm climates.
(d) It is rare and unusual.
13. Where does Little Ann find the "ghost coon" after Billy believes the bet is over?
(a) In the ghost tree.
(b) In a hollowed out tree.
(c) In a hollowed out gatepost.
(d) Down near the river.
14. What does Papa do to get Little Ann to come back to Billy in Chapter 17?
(a) He lures her back with a treat.
(b) He shoots his gun.
(c) He calls to her.
(d) He pretends to be a raccoon.
15. How does Billy react when his grandfather tells him he has entered him into the hunting contest?
(a) He is put off.
(b) He is surprised.
(c) He is honored.
(d) He is ecstatic.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Billy concerned about entering one of the dogs into the best looking dog contest?
2. Where does Little Ann die?
3. What challenge emerges at the beginning of Chapter 17?
4. How does the animal in Chapter 18 react to Old Dan's threat?
5. What does Billy realize when he hears Old Dan bay while out on the ice?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)