|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Billy decide not to kill the "ghost coon"?
(a) His grandfather tells him not to kill it.
(b) When the raccoon cries, Billy is sympathetic to its feelings.
(c) He wants to allow the dogs to kill it.
(d) He believes killing animals is immoral.
2. What amazes the other hunters about Old Dan and Little Ann's actions after chasing the raccoon through the river?
(a) They are not tired from swimming.
(b) They tend to each others' wounds before continuing to hunt.
(c) They do not lose the scent of the raccoon when he goes in the water.
(d) They are able to swim even though they are small.
3. What creature does Old Dan tree one day after the competition?
(a) A raccoon.
(b) A mountain lion.
(c) A bobcat.
(d) A cat.
4. Who ultimately kills the large scary animal in Chapter 18 that Old Dan had treed?
(b) Old Dan.
(d) Little Ann.
5. What event at the beginning of Chapter 11 prevents Billy from hunting?
(a) The flu.
(b) The end of the hunting season.
(c) Injuries to his dogs.
(d) A snow blizzard.
6. Which night does Billy draw to hunt in the contest?
(a) The third night.
(b) The last night.
(c) The fourth night.
(d) The first night.
7. Whose bragging helps build Billy's reputation as a hunter?
(a) His father's.
(b) His grandfather's.
(c) His mother's.
(d) His own.
8. What criteria must all entrants into the hunting contest in Chapter 14 meet?
(a) They need to have caught a certain number of raccoons.
(b) They must be at least 18 years old.
(c) They must be seasoned hunters.
(d) They only have to pay a registration fee.
9. What surprises Billy's grandfather about Little Ann and Old Dan's relationship?
(a) They are like a mother and child.
(b) They are not competitive.
(c) They share everything.
(d) They compliment each other well.
10. Why do the dogs pounce on a large scary animal in Chapter 18 that Old Dan had treed?
(a) It attacks Billy.
(b) It looks like it might attack Billy.
(c) It growls at them.
(d) It stands in a threatening way.
11. What happens to Grandpa as the dogs chase their second raccoon?
(a) He is stricken by laughter.
(b) He is unable to keep up with the group.
(c) He falls into the river.
(d) He becomes ill.
12. How does the group find Old Dan in Chapter 17?
(a) They hear him baying.
(b) Little Ann leads them to him.
(c) They follow the coon.
(d) They call to him.
13. What surprises the hunting contest judge about Billy's dogs' final catch?
(a) They were able to find the raccoon again after he walked a rail fence.
(b) They worked together to tree the raccoon.
(c) They did not give up even though it was daybreak.
(d) They chased the raccoon for miles.
14. How does the animal in Chapter 18 react to Old Dan's threat?
(a) It hides in the tree.
(b) It attacks Old Dan.
(c) It attacks Little Ann.
(d) It runs away.
15. What does Billy's mother suggest will make him feel better when Old Dan and Little Ann die?
(a) Remembering the good times he had with the dogs.
(b) Praying to God.
(c) Eating dinner.
(d) Getting new dogs.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Billy bury the dogs when they die?
2. What does Billy finally notice about his mother as the family discusses the hunting competition over dinner?
3. What does Billy do to try and gain an advantage on his night of hunting in the contest?
4. Which of the following is NOT something Billy believes would be at the dogs' grave sites years later?
5. How does Rainie Pritchard characterize Billy's grandfather?
This section contains 639 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)