|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. in Chapter 14, what concern about Little Ann does Billy share with his father?
(a) She is gun shy.
(b) She cannot keep up with Old Dan.
(c) She is sometimes too small to climb a tree.
(d) She is ill.
2. What does Billy's father show him to help him feel better when Old Dan and Little Ann die?
(a) The home the family is buying in town.
(b) The money he earned through hunting.
(c) A grave marker he made for the dogs.
(d) A new puppy.
3. What surprises Billy's grandfather about Little Ann and Old Dan's relationship?
(a) They are not competitive.
(b) They are like a mother and child.
(c) They compliment each other well.
(d) They share everything.
4. Why do the dogs pounce on a large scary animal in Chapter 18 that Old Dan had treed?
(a) It looks like it might attack Billy.
(b) It stands in a threatening way.
(c) It growls at them.
(d) It attacks Billy.
5. What does Billy find when he visits to the dogs' graves before leaving home?
(a) The old KC Baking Powder can.
(b) A sycamore tree growing up between them.
(c) A grave marker made by his father.
(d) A red fern growing up between them.
6. Why does Billy pay the Pritchard boys $2?
(a) His grandfather instructed him to pay the boys regardless of the outcome of the bet.
(b) He owed them for supplies purchased for hunting.
(c) He believes his dogs have failed him.
(d) He believes he has lost the bet since the dogs seem to have given up finding the "ghost coon".
7. Why is Billy concerned about entering one of the dogs into the best looking dog contest?
(a) He believes they are too small.
(b) He is afraid of losing the contest.
(c) He is not concerned about their looks, only their hunting abilities.
(d) He does not want to hurt the feelings of either dog.
8. Which of the following is NOT something Billy believes would be at the dogs' grave sites years later?
(a) An old rusty lantern.
(b) Red fern.
(c) Red oaks.
(d) The grave marker his father made.
9. Who ultimately kills the large scary animal in Chapter 18 that Old Dan had treed?
(a) Little Ann.
(c) Old Dan.
10. What does Billy finally notice about his mother as the family discusses the hunting competition over dinner?
(a) She is supportive of his hunting career.
(b) She is pregnant.
(c) She truly loves his father.
(d) She is kind and understanding.
11. What does Billy hear during the night in Chapter 15 that he takes as a bad omen?
(a) Old Dan baying.
(b) A storm coming.
(c) The sound of screech owls.
(d) The sound of mockingbirds.
12. How does Rainie Pritchard characterize Billy's grandfather?
(a) As wealthy.
(b) As mean.
(c) As fair.
(d) As dishonest.
13. What event at the beginning of Chapter 11 prevents Billy from hunting?
(a) Injuries to his dogs.
(b) A snow blizzard.
(c) The flu.
(d) The end of the hunting season.
14. What does Grandpa give Billy in Chapter 15 that marks him as an adult?
(b) A gun.
(d) A cup of coffee.
15. Who becomes separated from the group during the storm?
(d) The judge.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Billy's mother suggest will make him feel better when Old Dan and Little Ann die?
2. What creature does Old Dan tree one day after the competition?
3. What does Billy realize when he hears Old Dan bay while out on the ice?
4. What problem do the dogs face when the raccoon leads them to the river in Chapter 11?
5. How does Billy prepare Little Ann for the beauty contest?
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)