|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do the Pritchard boys refuse to give Billy his money back?
(a) They are unfair.
(b) They say he owed them the money.
(c) They are cowards.
(d) They believe that the dogs must kill the raccoon in order for the bet to be won.
2. How does Billy prepare Little Ann for the beauty contest?
(a) By teaching her commands.
(b) By telling her she is a beautiful dog.
(c) By brushing and rubbing hair oil into her hair.
(d) By brushing and rubbing butter into her hair.
3. Why does Billy insist the group look for the dogs rather than wait for them to come back on their own?
(a) He knows Old Dan will never leave a treed raccoon.
(b) He does not feel confident they can find their way back.
(c) They are hunting in an unfamiliar area.
(d) He knows Little Ann will never leave a treed raccoon.
4. in Chapter 14, what concern about Little Ann does Billy share with his father?
(a) She is gun shy.
(b) She is sometimes too small to climb a tree.
(c) She is ill.
(d) She cannot keep up with Old Dan.
5. Why does Little Ann stop barking when she trees the "ghost coon"?
(a) She is waiting for Billy to arrive.
(b) She is waiting for Old Dan to arrive.
(c) She is unsure that he is actually in the tree.
(d) She has lost his scent.
6. What event causes Little Ann to become sickly and weak?
(a) Old Dan's death.
(b) Billy's illness.
(c) The end of hunting season.
(d) The mountain lion's attack.
7. What amazes the other hunters about Old Dan and Little Ann's actions after chasing the raccoon through the river?
(a) They are not tired from swimming.
(b) They do not lose the scent of the raccoon when he goes in the water.
(c) They are able to swim even though they are small.
(d) They tend to each others' wounds before continuing to hunt.
8. Why does Old Dan lure Billy out on to the ice pack?
(a) He is caught in the freezing water.
(b) Little Ann is caught in the freezing water.
(c) Little Ann has located the raccoon.
(d) He is caught on the ice.
9. Whose bragging helps build Billy's reputation as a hunter?
(a) His father's.
(b) His own.
(c) His grandfather's.
(d) His mother's.
10. Where does Little Ann find the "ghost coon" after Billy believes the bet is over?
(a) In the ghost tree.
(b) Down near the river.
(c) In a hollowed out tree.
(d) In a hollowed out gatepost.
11. Where does Billy bury the dogs when they die?
(a) Next to the family's cabin.
(b) Near the river.
(c) At the base of a red oak tree.
(d) Under a sycamore tree.
12. What happens to Grandpa while searching for Old Dan in the storm?
(a) He becomes dehydrated.
(b) He hurts his ankle.
(c) He must stop to take a rest.
(d) He falls and knocks himself unconscious and injures his ankle.
13. What does Billy realize when he hears Old Dan bay while out on the ice?
(a) He has found the raccoon.
(b) He has lost the scent of the raccoon.
(c) Something is wrong.
(d) He is hurt.
14. What does Papa do to get Little Ann to come back to Billy in Chapter 17?
(a) He calls to her.
(b) He shoots his gun.
(c) He lures her back with a treat.
(d) He pretends to be a raccoon.
15. What does Billy discover when he climbs the ghost tree in Chapter 13?
(a) The raccoon is treed in it.
(b) The raccoon was never there.
(c) The tree is still blooming.
(d) The raccoon is not there.
Short Answer Questions
1. What challenge emerges at the beginning of Chapter 17?
2. Which of the following is NOT something Billy believes would be at the dogs' grave sites years later?
3. How does Rainie Pritchard characterize Billy's grandfather?
4. Who does Billy's grandfather hold partly responsible for Rubin's death?
5. How many raccoons do Billy and the dogs catch during the hunting contest?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)