|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What creature does Old Dan tree one day after the competition?
(a) A cat.
(b) A mountain lion.
(c) A bobcat.
(d) A raccoon.
2. Who does Billy think has planted the red fern?
(b) His father.
(d) The dogs.
3. Where do the dogs chase a raccoon to in Chapter 11?
(a) Billy's family's home.
(c) The river.
(d) A tree.
4. Where does Little Ann find the "ghost coon" after Billy believes the bet is over?
(a) In a hollowed out tree.
(b) In the ghost tree.
(c) Down near the river.
(d) In a hollowed out gatepost.
5. What is the significance of the red fern?
(a) It is rare and unusual.
(b) It usually only grows in warm climates.
(c) It is supposedly a gift from God.
(d) It is supposedly planted by an angel at the grave site of two children.
6. Why does Billy end up sleeping under the wagon with his dogs in Chapter 16?
(a) He wants to comfort his tired dogs.
(b) His grandfather's snoring keeps him awake.
(c) He does not want to be away from them.
(d) His father's snoring keeps him awake.
7. How many raccoons do Billy and the dogs catch during the hunting contest?
8. Whose bragging helps build Billy's reputation as a hunter?
(a) His grandfather's.
(b) His mother's.
(c) His father's.
(d) His own.
9. Where does Billy bury the dogs when they die?
(a) Near the river.
(b) Next to the family's cabin.
(c) Under a sycamore tree.
(d) At the base of a red oak tree.
10. Why do the Pritchard boys refuse to give Billy his money back?
(a) They say he owed them the money.
(b) They are cowards.
(c) They are unfair.
(d) They believe that the dogs must kill the raccoon in order for the bet to be won.
11. What challenge emerges at the beginning of Chapter 17?
(a) It begins sleeting.
(b) The jackpot for the contest rises.
(c) It grows dark.
(d) Another hunter catches a raccoon.
12. How does Rainie Pritchard characterize Billy's grandfather?
(a) As wealthy.
(b) As fair.
(c) As mean.
(d) As dishonest.
13. Where does Little Ann die?
(a) On Old Dan's grave.
(b) On the hill where the mountain lion attacked.
(c) In the woods.
(d) At Billy's home.
14. What does Billy find when he visits to the dogs' graves before leaving home?
(a) The old KC Baking Powder can.
(b) A grave marker made by his father.
(c) A sycamore tree growing up between them.
(d) A red fern growing up between them.
15. When did Billy return to the Ozarks to visit the dogs' graves?
(a) Once before his death.
(b) Weekly after the family moved into town.
(c) Shortly before he moved out of the state.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Billy finally notice about his mother as the family discusses the hunting competition over dinner?
2. How does the animal in Chapter 18 react to Old Dan's threat?
3. Why do the dogs pounce on a large scary animal in Chapter 18 that Old Dan had treed?
4. What problem do the dogs face when the raccoon leads them to the river in Chapter 11?
5. in Chapter 14, what concern about Little Ann does Billy share with his father?
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)