|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Billy hear during the night in Chapter 15 that he takes as a bad omen?
(a) A storm coming.
(b) The sound of screech owls.
(c) Old Dan baying.
(d) The sound of mockingbirds.
2. What happens to Grandpa while searching for Old Dan in the storm?
(a) He must stop to take a rest.
(b) He falls and knocks himself unconscious and injures his ankle.
(c) He becomes dehydrated.
(d) He hurts his ankle.
3. Why does Billy pay the Pritchard boys $2?
(a) His grandfather instructed him to pay the boys regardless of the outcome of the bet.
(b) He believes his dogs have failed him.
(c) He owed them for supplies purchased for hunting.
(d) He believes he has lost the bet since the dogs seem to have given up finding the "ghost coon".
4. What concerns Billy about Old Dan's behavior when he trees the animal in Chapter 18?
(a) He abandons Little Ann.
(b) He will not leave the tree.
(c) He tries to climb the tree.
(d) He growls and bears his teeth.
5. What challenge emerges at the beginning of Chapter 17?
(a) It grows dark.
(b) Another hunter catches a raccoon.
(c) The jackpot for the contest rises.
(d) It begins sleeting.
6. Who becomes separated from the group during the storm?
(c) The judge.
7. What challenge do the Pritchard boys pose for Billy and the dogs?
(a) Catching the biggest raccoon.
(b) Treeing the "ghost coon."
(c) Selling the most pelts.
(d) Catching more raccoons than they have caught.
8. What does Billy realize when he hears Old Dan bay while out on the ice?
(a) He has found the raccoon.
(b) He is hurt.
(c) Something is wrong.
(d) He has lost the scent of the raccoon.
9. Why does Billy insist the group look for the dogs rather than wait for them to come back on their own?
(a) He does not feel confident they can find their way back.
(b) They are hunting in an unfamiliar area.
(c) He knows Old Dan will never leave a treed raccoon.
(d) He knows Little Ann will never leave a treed raccoon.
10. Which of the following is NOT something Billy believes would be at the dogs' grave sites years later?
(a) An old rusty lantern.
(b) Red fern.
(c) Red oaks.
(d) The grave marker his father made.
11. What does Billy do to try and gain an advantage on his night of hunting in the contest?
(a) Give the dogs a pep talk.
(b) Encourage the dogs.
(c) Take his father and grandfather along hunting.
(d) Move out of the over-hunted area.
12. How does Billy prepare Little Ann for the beauty contest?
(a) By telling her she is a beautiful dog.
(b) By brushing and rubbing butter into her hair.
(c) By brushing and rubbing hair oil into her hair.
(d) By teaching her commands.
13. What problem do the dogs face when the raccoon leads them to the river in Chapter 11?
(a) They lose the scent of the coon.
(b) The river is frozen.
(c) The ice on the river is slippery.
(d) The water is too cold to swim in.
14. Whose bragging helps build Billy's reputation as a hunter?
(a) His grandfather's.
(b) His father's.
(c) His own.
(d) His mother's.
15. Why do the dogs pounce on a large scary animal in Chapter 18 that Old Dan had treed?
(a) It growls at them.
(b) It stands in a threatening way.
(c) It attacks Billy.
(d) It looks like it might attack Billy.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Rainie Pritchard characterize Billy's grandfather?
2. How does the group find Old Dan in Chapter 17?
3. What surprises Billy's grandfather about Little Ann and Old Dan's relationship?
4. What does Billy's father show him to help him feel better when Old Dan and Little Ann die?
5. in Chapter 14, what concern about Little Ann does Billy share with his father?
This section contains 680 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)