|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which night does Billy draw to hunt in the contest?
(a) The third night.
(b) The fourth night.
(c) The last night.
(d) The first night.
2. How many raccoons do Billy and the dogs catch during the hunting contest?
3. What problem do the dogs face when the raccoon leads them to the river in Chapter 11?
(a) They lose the scent of the coon.
(b) The water is too cold to swim in.
(c) The river is frozen.
(d) The ice on the river is slippery.
4. Who ultimately kills the large scary animal in Chapter 18 that Old Dan had treed?
(b) Little Ann.
(d) Old Dan.
5. What does Billy find when he visits to the dogs' graves before leaving home?
(a) A red fern growing up between them.
(b) A grave marker made by his father.
(c) The old KC Baking Powder can.
(d) A sycamore tree growing up between them.
6. How does Billy prepare Little Ann for the beauty contest?
(a) By brushing and rubbing butter into her hair.
(b) By teaching her commands.
(c) By telling her she is a beautiful dog.
(d) By brushing and rubbing hair oil into her hair.
7. What does Billy realize when he hears Old Dan bay while out on the ice?
(a) He has found the raccoon.
(b) He is hurt.
(c) He has lost the scent of the raccoon.
(d) Something is wrong.
8. What does Papa believe would have prevented Billy from moving with the family at the end of the book?
(a) His grief over the dogs' deaths.
(b) A desire to stay near the river.
(c) Hunting with the dogs.
(d) A desire to stay near the dogs' graves.
9. Why does Billy pay the Pritchard boys $2?
(a) He believes his dogs have failed him.
(b) His grandfather instructed him to pay the boys regardless of the outcome of the bet.
(c) He owed them for supplies purchased for hunting.
(d) He believes he has lost the bet since the dogs seem to have given up finding the "ghost coon".
10. Where do the dogs chase a raccoon to in Chapter 11?
(a) The river.
(c) A tree.
(d) Billy's family's home.
11. What surprises the hunting contest judge about Billy's dogs' final catch?
(a) They worked together to tree the raccoon.
(b) They did not give up even though it was daybreak.
(c) They were able to find the raccoon again after he walked a rail fence.
(d) They chased the raccoon for miles.
12. What surprises Billy's grandfather about Little Ann and Old Dan's relationship?
(a) They are not competitive.
(b) They share everything.
(c) They are like a mother and child.
(d) They compliment each other well.
13. Why does Billy visit his grandfather's store on the day he encounters the Pritchard boys?
(a) He is purchasing hunting supplies.
(b) He is getting a sack of corn milled for his mother.
(c) He is visiting his grandfather.
(d) He is dropping off pelts to be sold at the store.
14. What event causes Little Ann to become sickly and weak?
(a) Billy's illness.
(b) The end of hunting season.
(c) Old Dan's death.
(d) The mountain lion's attack.
15. How does the group find Old Dan in Chapter 17?
(a) They call to him.
(b) They follow the coon.
(c) They hear him baying.
(d) Little Ann leads them to him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Billy think has planted the red fern?
2. Who becomes separated from the group during the storm?
3. Where does Billy's family move to in Chapter 19?
4. What does Billy do to help himself see the dogs in the fog in Chapter 11?
5. How does the animal in Chapter 18 react to Old Dan's threat?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)