|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Grandpa give Billy in Chapter 15 that marks him as an adult?
(b) A gun.
(c) A cup of coffee.
2. When did Billy return to the Ozarks to visit the dogs' graves?
(a) Once before his death.
(c) Shortly before he moved out of the state.
(d) Weekly after the family moved into town.
3. What does Billy's mother suggest will make him feel better when Old Dan and Little Ann die?
(a) Eating dinner.
(b) Praying to God.
(c) Remembering the good times he had with the dogs.
(d) Getting new dogs.
4. What is the significance of the red fern?
(a) It is supposedly planted by an angel at the grave site of two children.
(b) It is rare and unusual.
(c) It is supposedly a gift from God.
(d) It usually only grows in warm climates.
5. What does Billy do to help himself see the dogs in the fog in Chapter 11?
(a) He builds a fire near the shore of the river.
(b) He tries to put his lantern on the ice pack using a length of cane.
(c) He shines his flashlight on the ice pack.
(d) He inches closer to the ice pack.
6. What challenge do the Pritchard boys pose for Billy and the dogs?
(a) Treeing the "ghost coon."
(b) Catching the biggest raccoon.
(c) Catching more raccoons than they have caught.
(d) Selling the most pelts.
7. Where does Billy's family move to in Chapter 19?
(a) The city.
(c) A home closer to town.
(d) The Ozark Mountains.
8. Who does Billy think has planted the red fern?
(a) His father.
(d) The dogs.
9. in Chapter 14, what concern about Little Ann does Billy share with his father?
(a) She cannot keep up with Old Dan.
(b) She is ill.
(c) She is sometimes too small to climb a tree.
(d) She is gun shy.
10. What event causes Little Ann to become sickly and weak?
(a) Billy's illness.
(b) The mountain lion's attack.
(c) The end of hunting season.
(d) Old Dan's death.
11. Whose bragging helps build Billy's reputation as a hunter?
(a) His father's.
(b) His grandfather's.
(c) His own.
(d) His mother's.
12. Where does Billy bury the dogs when they die?
(a) Next to the family's cabin.
(b) Near the river.
(c) Under a sycamore tree.
(d) At the base of a red oak tree.
13. What does Billy's father show him to help him feel better when Old Dan and Little Ann die?
(a) A new puppy.
(b) The home the family is buying in town.
(c) The money he earned through hunting.
(d) A grave marker he made for the dogs.
14. Why does Billy pay the Pritchard boys $2?
(a) His grandfather instructed him to pay the boys regardless of the outcome of the bet.
(b) He owed them for supplies purchased for hunting.
(c) He believes his dogs have failed him.
(d) He believes he has lost the bet since the dogs seem to have given up finding the "ghost coon".
15. What challenge emerges at the beginning of Chapter 17?
(a) The jackpot for the contest rises.
(b) Another hunter catches a raccoon.
(c) It grows dark.
(d) It begins sleeting.
Short Answer Questions
1. What concerns Billy about Old Dan's behavior when he trees the animal in Chapter 18?
2. What does Papa believe would have prevented Billy from moving with the family at the end of the book?
3. What does Billy find when he visits to the dogs' graves before leaving home?
4. Why does Old Dan lure Billy out on to the ice pack?
5. What event at the beginning of Chapter 11 prevents Billy from hunting?
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)