|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Billy's father show him to help him feel better when Old Dan and Little Ann die?
(a) A new puppy.
(b) The home the family is buying in town.
(c) The money he earned through hunting.
(d) A grave marker he made for the dogs.
2. Which of the following is NOT something Billy believes would be at the dogs' grave sites years later?
(a) Red fern.
(b) The grave marker his father made.
(c) An old rusty lantern.
(d) Red oaks.
3. What creature does Old Dan tree one day after the competition?
(a) A raccoon.
(b) A bobcat.
(c) A cat.
(d) A mountain lion.
4. How does Rainie Pritchard characterize Billy's grandfather?
(a) As mean.
(b) As wealthy.
(c) As fair.
(d) As dishonest.
5. What surprises the hunting contest judge about Billy's dogs' final catch?
(a) They chased the raccoon for miles.
(b) They did not give up even though it was daybreak.
(c) They worked together to tree the raccoon.
(d) They were able to find the raccoon again after he walked a rail fence.
6. How does Billy react when his grandfather tells him he has entered him into the hunting contest?
(a) He is surprised.
(b) He is honored.
(c) He is ecstatic.
(d) He is put off.
7. What does Billy realize when he hears Old Dan bay while out on the ice?
(a) He has found the raccoon.
(b) Something is wrong.
(c) He is hurt.
(d) He has lost the scent of the raccoon.
8. Which night does Billy draw to hunt in the contest?
(a) The first night.
(b) The last night.
(c) The fourth night.
(d) The third night.
9. What criteria must all entrants into the hunting contest in Chapter 14 meet?
(a) They need to have caught a certain number of raccoons.
(b) They must be at least 18 years old.
(c) They must be seasoned hunters.
(d) They only have to pay a registration fee.
10. Where does Little Ann find the "ghost coon" after Billy believes the bet is over?
(a) In the ghost tree.
(b) In a hollowed out gatepost.
(c) Down near the river.
(d) In a hollowed out tree.
11. What does Papa do to get Little Ann to come back to Billy in Chapter 17?
(a) He shoots his gun.
(b) He lures her back with a treat.
(c) He pretends to be a raccoon.
(d) He calls to her.
12. Why do the Pritchard boys refuse to give Billy his money back?
(a) They say he owed them the money.
(b) They believe that the dogs must kill the raccoon in order for the bet to be won.
(c) They are unfair.
(d) They are cowards.
13. Why does Little Ann stop barking when she trees the "ghost coon"?
(a) She has lost his scent.
(b) She is unsure that he is actually in the tree.
(c) She is waiting for Billy to arrive.
(d) She is waiting for Old Dan to arrive.
14. What challenge do the Pritchard boys pose for Billy and the dogs?
(a) Catching more raccoons than they have caught.
(b) Catching the biggest raccoon.
(c) Selling the most pelts.
(d) Treeing the "ghost coon."
15. What is the significance of the red fern?
(a) It is supposedly a gift from God.
(b) It is rare and unusual.
(c) It usually only grows in warm climates.
(d) It is supposedly planted by an angel at the grave site of two children.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the group find Old Dan in Chapter 17?
2. How does Billy prepare Little Ann for the beauty contest?
3. Where does Billy bury the dogs when they die?
4. What amazes the other hunters about Old Dan and Little Ann's actions after chasing the raccoon through the river?
5. Why does Billy visit his grandfather's store on the day he encounters the Pritchard boys?
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)