|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who ultimately kills the large scary animal in Chapter 18 that Old Dan had treed?
(a) Old Dan.
(d) Little Ann.
2. What surprises Billy's grandfather about Little Ann and Old Dan's relationship?
(a) They compliment each other well.
(b) They share everything.
(c) They are like a mother and child.
(d) They are not competitive.
3. Why does Billy end up sleeping under the wagon with his dogs in Chapter 16?
(a) He wants to comfort his tired dogs.
(b) He does not want to be away from them.
(c) His father's snoring keeps him awake.
(d) His grandfather's snoring keeps him awake.
4. Why do the Pritchard boys refuse to give Billy his money back?
(a) They are cowards.
(b) They believe that the dogs must kill the raccoon in order for the bet to be won.
(c) They say he owed them the money.
(d) They are unfair.
5. What is the significance of the red fern?
(a) It is rare and unusual.
(b) It is supposedly a gift from God.
(c) It usually only grows in warm climates.
(d) It is supposedly planted by an angel at the grave site of two children.
6. Who does Billy think has planted the red fern?
(a) The dogs.
(c) His father.
7. How does the group find Old Dan in Chapter 17?
(a) They call to him.
(b) They follow the coon.
(c) They hear him baying.
(d) Little Ann leads them to him.
8. What creature does Old Dan tree one day after the competition?
(a) A cat.
(b) A bobcat.
(c) A mountain lion.
(d) A raccoon.
9. Who lays next to Old Dan's dead body before it is buried?
(a) Little Ann.
(b) Billy's sisters.
(d) Billy and Little Ann.
10. What does Billy's grandfather tell the boy he must bring with him to the hunting contest?
(a) All of the supplies he will need to hunt.
(b) Only his dogs.
(c) Only himself.
(d) His dogs and hunting ax.
11. Where does Little Ann find the "ghost coon" after Billy believes the bet is over?
(a) In the ghost tree.
(b) In a hollowed out gatepost.
(c) Down near the river.
(d) In a hollowed out tree.
12. What event causes Little Ann to become sickly and weak?
(a) Billy's illness.
(b) The mountain lion's attack.
(c) The end of hunting season.
(d) Old Dan's death.
13. What does Billy hear during the night in Chapter 15 that he takes as a bad omen?
(a) The sound of mockingbirds.
(b) The sound of screech owls.
(c) A storm coming.
(d) Old Dan baying.
14. Why does Billy insist the group look for the dogs rather than wait for them to come back on their own?
(a) He knows Little Ann will never leave a treed raccoon.
(b) He does not feel confident they can find their way back.
(c) They are hunting in an unfamiliar area.
(d) He knows Old Dan will never leave a treed raccoon.
15. in Chapter 14, what concern about Little Ann does Billy share with his father?
(a) She is ill.
(b) She is gun shy.
(c) She is sometimes too small to climb a tree.
(d) She cannot keep up with Old Dan.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Billy visit his grandfather's store on the day he encounters the Pritchard boys?
2. What problem do the dogs face when the raccoon leads them to the river in Chapter 11?
3. Who does Billy's grandfather hold partly responsible for Rubin's death?
4. What does Billy discover when he climbs the ghost tree in Chapter 13?
5. How many raccoons do Billy and the dogs catch during the hunting contest?
This section contains 627 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)