|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What challenge emerges at the beginning of Chapter 17?
(a) Another hunter catches a raccoon.
(b) It grows dark.
(c) It begins sleeting.
(d) The jackpot for the contest rises.
2. Where does the "ghost coon" ultimately head for at the end of Chapter 12?
(a) Billy's home.
(b) The ghost tree.
(c) The tallest tree in the forest.
(d) An old field.
3. Which of the following is NOT something Billy believes would be at the dogs' grave sites years later?
(a) Red fern.
(b) Red oaks.
(c) An old rusty lantern.
(d) The grave marker his father made.
4. Who does Billy's grandfather hold partly responsible for Rubin's death?
(a) The "ghost coon".
5. What concerns Billy about Old Dan's behavior when he trees the animal in Chapter 18?
(a) He abandons Little Ann.
(b) He will not leave the tree.
(c) He growls and bears his teeth.
(d) He tries to climb the tree.
6. Who becomes separated from the group during the storm?
(b) The judge.
7. What creature does Old Dan tree one day after the competition?
(a) A cat.
(b) A raccoon.
(c) A mountain lion.
(d) A bobcat.
8. How does Billy prepare Little Ann for the beauty contest?
(a) By brushing and rubbing hair oil into her hair.
(b) By teaching her commands.
(c) By brushing and rubbing butter into her hair.
(d) By telling her she is a beautiful dog.
9. What event at the beginning of Chapter 11 prevents Billy from hunting?
(a) A snow blizzard.
(b) The end of the hunting season.
(c) Injuries to his dogs.
(d) The flu.
10. What criteria must all entrants into the hunting contest in Chapter 14 meet?
(a) They only have to pay a registration fee.
(b) They need to have caught a certain number of raccoons.
(c) They must be at least 18 years old.
(d) They must be seasoned hunters.
11. What does Billy discover when he climbs the ghost tree in Chapter 13?
(a) The raccoon was never there.
(b) The raccoon is not there.
(c) The raccoon is treed in it.
(d) The tree is still blooming.
12. What is the significance of the red fern?
(a) It usually only grows in warm climates.
(b) It is rare and unusual.
(c) It is supposedly a gift from God.
(d) It is supposedly planted by an angel at the grave site of two children.
13. in Chapter 14, what concern about Little Ann does Billy share with his father?
(a) She cannot keep up with Old Dan.
(b) She is ill.
(c) She is sometimes too small to climb a tree.
(d) She is gun shy.
14. What event causes Little Ann to become sickly and weak?
(a) The mountain lion's attack.
(b) The end of hunting season.
(c) Billy's illness.
(d) Old Dan's death.
15. Why does Old Dan lure Billy out on to the ice pack?
(a) Little Ann has located the raccoon.
(b) Little Ann is caught in the freezing water.
(c) He is caught in the freezing water.
(d) He is caught on the ice.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who lays next to Old Dan's dead body before it is buried?
2. Why do the dogs pounce on a large scary animal in Chapter 18 that Old Dan had treed?
3. When did Billy return to the Ozarks to visit the dogs' graves?
4. Why does Billy visit his grandfather's store on the day he encounters the Pritchard boys?
5. Who does Billy think has planted the red fern?
This section contains 602 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)