|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What amazes the other hunters about Old Dan and Little Ann's actions after chasing the raccoon through the river?
(a) They tend to each others' wounds before continuing to hunt.
(b) They are not tired from swimming.
(c) They do not lose the scent of the raccoon when he goes in the water.
(d) They are able to swim even though they are small.
2. What surprises Billy's grandfather about Little Ann and Old Dan's relationship?
(a) They compliment each other well.
(b) They share everything.
(c) They are not competitive.
(d) They are like a mother and child.
3. Why is Billy concerned about entering one of the dogs into the best looking dog contest?
(a) He is not concerned about their looks, only their hunting abilities.
(b) He believes they are too small.
(c) He does not want to hurt the feelings of either dog.
(d) He is afraid of losing the contest.
4. What challenge emerges at the beginning of Chapter 17?
(a) The jackpot for the contest rises.
(b) It begins sleeting.
(c) Another hunter catches a raccoon.
(d) It grows dark.
5. How does the group find Old Dan in Chapter 17?
(a) They follow the coon.
(b) They hear him baying.
(c) Little Ann leads them to him.
(d) They call to him.
6. Why do the Pritchard boys refuse to give Billy his money back?
(a) They are unfair.
(b) They say he owed them the money.
(c) They are cowards.
(d) They believe that the dogs must kill the raccoon in order for the bet to be won.
7. Where does Little Ann find the "ghost coon" after Billy believes the bet is over?
(a) In the ghost tree.
(b) In a hollowed out tree.
(c) In a hollowed out gatepost.
(d) Down near the river.
8. Where does Billy's family move to in Chapter 19?
(b) The city.
(c) The Ozark Mountains.
(d) A home closer to town.
9. What does Billy realize when he hears Old Dan bay while out on the ice?
(a) He has found the raccoon.
(b) He has lost the scent of the raccoon.
(c) Something is wrong.
(d) He is hurt.
10. What event at the beginning of Chapter 11 prevents Billy from hunting?
(a) A snow blizzard.
(b) The flu.
(c) Injuries to his dogs.
(d) The end of the hunting season.
11. Why do the dogs pounce on a large scary animal in Chapter 18 that Old Dan had treed?
(a) It looks like it might attack Billy.
(b) It attacks Billy.
(c) It stands in a threatening way.
(d) It growls at them.
12. What does Billy's father show him to help him feel better when Old Dan and Little Ann die?
(a) A new puppy.
(b) The home the family is buying in town.
(c) The money he earned through hunting.
(d) A grave marker he made for the dogs.
13. Why does Billy insist the group look for the dogs rather than wait for them to come back on their own?
(a) He does not feel confident they can find their way back.
(b) They are hunting in an unfamiliar area.
(c) He knows Old Dan will never leave a treed raccoon.
(d) He knows Little Ann will never leave a treed raccoon.
14. What concerns Billy about Old Dan's behavior when he trees the animal in Chapter 18?
(a) He growls and bears his teeth.
(b) He will not leave the tree.
(c) He abandons Little Ann.
(d) He tries to climb the tree.
15. What challenge do the Pritchard boys pose for Billy and the dogs?
(a) Treeing the "ghost coon."
(b) Selling the most pelts.
(c) Catching more raccoons than they have caught.
(d) Catching the biggest raccoon.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the animal in Chapter 18 react to Old Dan's threat?
2. Who does Billy's grandfather hold partly responsible for Rubin's death?
3. What surprises the hunting contest judge about Billy's dogs' final catch?
4. Where does Little Ann die?
5. What is the significance of the red fern?
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)