|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who lays next to Old Dan's dead body before it is buried?
(a) Billy's sisters.
(c) Billy and Little Ann.
(d) Little Ann.
2. What does Papa believe would have prevented Billy from moving with the family at the end of the book?
(a) A desire to stay near the dogs' graves.
(b) His grief over the dogs' deaths.
(c) Hunting with the dogs.
(d) A desire to stay near the river.
3. Why does Billy decide not to kill the "ghost coon"?
(a) He believes killing animals is immoral.
(b) His grandfather tells him not to kill it.
(c) He wants to allow the dogs to kill it.
(d) When the raccoon cries, Billy is sympathetic to its feelings.
4. What does Billy find when he visits to the dogs' graves before leaving home?
(a) A sycamore tree growing up between them.
(b) A grave marker made by his father.
(c) A red fern growing up between them.
(d) The old KC Baking Powder can.
5. Why does Old Dan lure Billy out on to the ice pack?
(a) He is caught in the freezing water.
(b) Little Ann is caught in the freezing water.
(c) He is caught on the ice.
(d) Little Ann has located the raccoon.
6. What event at the beginning of Chapter 11 prevents Billy from hunting?
(a) The flu.
(b) The end of the hunting season.
(c) Injuries to his dogs.
(d) A snow blizzard.
7. What does Billy do to help himself see the dogs in the fog in Chapter 11?
(a) He shines his flashlight on the ice pack.
(b) He inches closer to the ice pack.
(c) He tries to put his lantern on the ice pack using a length of cane.
(d) He builds a fire near the shore of the river.
8. How is Rubin Pritchard killed?
(a) His brother hits him with the ax.
(b) Billy's dogs attack him.
(c) Billy hits him with the ax when he tries to attack his dogs.
(d) He trips on branch and falls on his ax.
9. What challenge emerges at the beginning of Chapter 17?
(a) Another hunter catches a raccoon.
(b) The jackpot for the contest rises.
(c) It begins sleeting.
(d) It grows dark.
10. What does Billy discover when he climbs the ghost tree in Chapter 13?
(a) The raccoon is treed in it.
(b) The raccoon was never there.
(c) The tree is still blooming.
(d) The raccoon is not there.
11. Where does Billy bury the dogs when they die?
(a) Under a sycamore tree.
(b) Next to the family's cabin.
(c) Near the river.
(d) At the base of a red oak tree.
12. in Chapter 14, what concern about Little Ann does Billy share with his father?
(a) She is gun shy.
(b) She is sometimes too small to climb a tree.
(c) She is ill.
(d) She cannot keep up with Old Dan.
13. Which night does Billy draw to hunt in the contest?
(a) The third night.
(b) The first night.
(c) The fourth night.
(d) The last night.
14. What amazes the other hunters about Old Dan and Little Ann's actions after chasing the raccoon through the river?
(a) They do not lose the scent of the raccoon when he goes in the water.
(b) They are not tired from swimming.
(c) They are able to swim even though they are small.
(d) They tend to each others' wounds before continuing to hunt.
15. What criteria must all entrants into the hunting contest in Chapter 14 meet?
(a) They need to have caught a certain number of raccoons.
(b) They only have to pay a registration fee.
(c) They must be seasoned hunters.
(d) They must be at least 18 years old.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the significance of the red fern?
2. What does Billy hear during the night in Chapter 15 that he takes as a bad omen?
3. What happens to Grandpa while searching for Old Dan in the storm?
4. What does Billy do to try and gain an advantage on his night of hunting in the contest?
5. Why do the Pritchard boys refuse to give Billy his money back?
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)