|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Papa believe would have prevented Billy from moving with the family at the end of the book?
(a) A desire to stay near the river.
(b) His grief over the dogs' deaths.
(c) A desire to stay near the dogs' graves.
(d) Hunting with the dogs.
2. Why does Billy end up sleeping under the wagon with his dogs in Chapter 16?
(a) He does not want to be away from them.
(b) His father's snoring keeps him awake.
(c) He wants to comfort his tired dogs.
(d) His grandfather's snoring keeps him awake.
3. What does Papa do to get Little Ann to come back to Billy in Chapter 17?
(a) He shoots his gun.
(b) He calls to her.
(c) He lures her back with a treat.
(d) He pretends to be a raccoon.
4. Who does Billy think has planted the red fern?
(c) His father.
(d) The dogs.
5. Why is Billy concerned about entering one of the dogs into the best looking dog contest?
(a) He is not concerned about their looks, only their hunting abilities.
(b) He believes they are too small.
(c) He is afraid of losing the contest.
(d) He does not want to hurt the feelings of either dog.
6. How does Billy react when his grandfather tells him he has entered him into the hunting contest?
(a) He is surprised.
(b) He is put off.
(c) He is honored.
(d) He is ecstatic.
7. Who does Billy's grandfather hold partly responsible for Rubin's death?
(b) The "ghost coon".
8. What does Billy hear during the night in Chapter 15 that he takes as a bad omen?
(a) A storm coming.
(b) The sound of mockingbirds.
(c) The sound of screech owls.
(d) Old Dan baying.
9. Whose bragging helps build Billy's reputation as a hunter?
(a) His father's.
(b) His grandfather's.
(c) His own.
(d) His mother's.
10. What event at the beginning of Chapter 11 prevents Billy from hunting?
(a) The flu.
(b) The end of the hunting season.
(c) Injuries to his dogs.
(d) A snow blizzard.
11. What does Billy discover when he climbs the ghost tree in Chapter 13?
(a) The raccoon was never there.
(b) The tree is still blooming.
(c) The raccoon is treed in it.
(d) The raccoon is not there.
12. What happens to Grandpa as the dogs chase their second raccoon?
(a) He is unable to keep up with the group.
(b) He becomes ill.
(c) He falls into the river.
(d) He is stricken by laughter.
13. Where do the dogs chase a raccoon to in Chapter 11?
(a) A tree.
(b) The river.
(c) Billy's family's home.
14. What does Billy's father show him to help him feel better when Old Dan and Little Ann die?
(a) A grave marker he made for the dogs.
(b) A new puppy.
(c) The money he earned through hunting.
(d) The home the family is buying in town.
15. How does the animal in Chapter 18 react to Old Dan's threat?
(a) It runs away.
(b) It attacks Little Ann.
(c) It attacks Old Dan.
(d) It hides in the tree.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who ultimately kills the large scary animal in Chapter 18 that Old Dan had treed?
2. Why do the Pritchard boys refuse to give Billy his money back?
3. What surprises Billy's grandfather about Little Ann and Old Dan's relationship?
4. What does Billy's mother suggest will make him feel better when Old Dan and Little Ann die?
5. What does Billy realize when he hears Old Dan bay while out on the ice?
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)