|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What challenge emerges at the beginning of Chapter 17?
(a) The jackpot for the contest rises.
(b) It grows dark.
(c) Another hunter catches a raccoon.
(d) It begins sleeting.
2. What does Papa believe would have prevented Billy from moving with the family at the end of the book?
(a) A desire to stay near the dogs' graves.
(b) His grief over the dogs' deaths.
(c) Hunting with the dogs.
(d) A desire to stay near the river.
3. Who lays next to Old Dan's dead body before it is buried?
(a) Billy's sisters.
(b) Little Ann.
(c) Billy and Little Ann.
4. Who ultimately kills the large scary animal in Chapter 18 that Old Dan had treed?
(b) Little Ann.
(c) Old Dan.
5. Where does Billy's family move to in Chapter 19?
(a) The city.
(b) A home closer to town.
(d) The Ozark Mountains.
6. Why does Little Ann stop barking when she trees the "ghost coon"?
(a) She is unsure that he is actually in the tree.
(b) She has lost his scent.
(c) She is waiting for Billy to arrive.
(d) She is waiting for Old Dan to arrive.
7. How does the group find Old Dan in Chapter 17?
(a) Little Ann leads them to him.
(b) They follow the coon.
(c) They hear him baying.
(d) They call to him.
8. What happens to Grandpa while searching for Old Dan in the storm?
(a) He becomes dehydrated.
(b) He must stop to take a rest.
(c) He falls and knocks himself unconscious and injures his ankle.
(d) He hurts his ankle.
9. What event causes Little Ann to become sickly and weak?
(a) The end of hunting season.
(b) The mountain lion's attack.
(c) Old Dan's death.
(d) Billy's illness.
10. Which night does Billy draw to hunt in the contest?
(a) The last night.
(b) The fourth night.
(c) The third night.
(d) The first night.
11. What does Grandpa give Billy in Chapter 15 that marks him as an adult?
(c) A cup of coffee.
(d) A gun.
12. Where does the "ghost coon" ultimately head for at the end of Chapter 12?
(a) The tallest tree in the forest.
(b) Billy's home.
(c) An old field.
(d) The ghost tree.
13. Why do the dogs pounce on a large scary animal in Chapter 18 that Old Dan had treed?
(a) It looks like it might attack Billy.
(b) It stands in a threatening way.
(c) It attacks Billy.
(d) It growls at them.
14. What does Billy hear during the night in Chapter 15 that he takes as a bad omen?
(a) The sound of mockingbirds.
(b) A storm coming.
(c) The sound of screech owls.
(d) Old Dan baying.
15. Who does Billy think has planted the red fern?
(a) The dogs.
(c) His father.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Billy bury the dogs when they die?
2. What does Billy's mother suggest will make him feel better when Old Dan and Little Ann die?
3. Why do the Pritchard boys refuse to give Billy his money back?
4. What does Billy find when he visits to the dogs' graves before leaving home?
5. What concerns Billy about Old Dan's behavior when he trees the animal in Chapter 18?
This section contains 593 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)