|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Billy concerned about entering one of the dogs into the best looking dog contest?
(a) He does not want to hurt the feelings of either dog.
(b) He believes they are too small.
(c) He is not concerned about their looks, only their hunting abilities.
(d) He is afraid of losing the contest.
2. What does Papa believe would have prevented Billy from moving with the family at the end of the book?
(a) His grief over the dogs' deaths.
(b) A desire to stay near the dogs' graves.
(c) A desire to stay near the river.
(d) Hunting with the dogs.
3. Where does Billy bury the dogs when they die?
(a) At the base of a red oak tree.
(b) Next to the family's cabin.
(c) Under a sycamore tree.
(d) Near the river.
4. Where does Billy's family move to in Chapter 19?
(a) The Ozark Mountains.
(b) The city.
(c) A home closer to town.
5. How does the group find Old Dan in Chapter 17?
(a) Little Ann leads them to him.
(b) They hear him baying.
(c) They follow the coon.
(d) They call to him.
6. Where does Little Ann die?
(a) On Old Dan's grave.
(b) At Billy's home.
(c) In the woods.
(d) On the hill where the mountain lion attacked.
7. Whose bragging helps build Billy's reputation as a hunter?
(a) His grandfather's.
(b) His father's.
(c) His own.
(d) His mother's.
8. What event at the beginning of Chapter 11 prevents Billy from hunting?
(a) A snow blizzard.
(b) The end of the hunting season.
(c) The flu.
(d) Injuries to his dogs.
9. Where does Little Ann find the "ghost coon" after Billy believes the bet is over?
(a) In a hollowed out tree.
(b) In the ghost tree.
(c) In a hollowed out gatepost.
(d) Down near the river.
10. What event causes Little Ann to become sickly and weak?
(a) The mountain lion's attack.
(b) The end of hunting season.
(c) Old Dan's death.
(d) Billy's illness.
11. Why do the dogs pounce on a large scary animal in Chapter 18 that Old Dan had treed?
(a) It looks like it might attack Billy.
(b) It growls at them.
(c) It attacks Billy.
(d) It stands in a threatening way.
12. What does Billy hear during the night in Chapter 15 that he takes as a bad omen?
(a) Old Dan baying.
(b) A storm coming.
(c) The sound of screech owls.
(d) The sound of mockingbirds.
13. What does Billy's mother suggest will make him feel better when Old Dan and Little Ann die?
(a) Getting new dogs.
(b) Remembering the good times he had with the dogs.
(c) Praying to God.
(d) Eating dinner.
14. What problem do the dogs face when the raccoon leads them to the river in Chapter 11?
(a) The river is frozen.
(b) They lose the scent of the coon.
(c) The water is too cold to swim in.
(d) The ice on the river is slippery.
15. Who does Billy's grandfather hold partly responsible for Rubin's death?
(a) The "ghost coon".
Short Answer Questions
1. Who lays next to Old Dan's dead body before it is buried?
2. What happens to Grandpa as the dogs chase their second raccoon?
3. Which night does Billy draw to hunt in the contest?
4. What concerns Billy about Old Dan's behavior when he trees the animal in Chapter 18?
5. Why does Little Ann stop barking when she trees the "ghost coon"?
This section contains 607 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)