|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Grandpa give Billy in Chapter 15 that marks him as an adult?
(a) A cup of coffee.
(d) A gun.
2. in Chapter 14, what concern about Little Ann does Billy share with his father?
(a) She cannot keep up with Old Dan.
(b) She is gun shy.
(c) She is sometimes too small to climb a tree.
(d) She is ill.
3. What event causes Little Ann to become sickly and weak?
(a) The end of hunting season.
(b) Billy's illness.
(c) Old Dan's death.
(d) The mountain lion's attack.
4. Why does Old Dan lure Billy out on to the ice pack?
(a) Little Ann has located the raccoon.
(b) He is caught in the freezing water.
(c) Little Ann is caught in the freezing water.
(d) He is caught on the ice.
5. What problem do the dogs face when the raccoon leads them to the river in Chapter 11?
(a) The river is frozen.
(b) They lose the scent of the coon.
(c) The ice on the river is slippery.
(d) The water is too cold to swim in.
6. What challenge emerges at the beginning of Chapter 17?
(a) Another hunter catches a raccoon.
(b) The jackpot for the contest rises.
(c) It grows dark.
(d) It begins sleeting.
7. Who lays next to Old Dan's dead body before it is buried?
(a) Billy's sisters.
(c) Billy and Little Ann.
(d) Little Ann.
8. Whose bragging helps build Billy's reputation as a hunter?
(a) His own.
(b) His mother's.
(c) His grandfather's.
(d) His father's.
9. What does Billy's mother suggest will make him feel better when Old Dan and Little Ann die?
(a) Praying to God.
(b) Remembering the good times he had with the dogs.
(c) Eating dinner.
(d) Getting new dogs.
10. Where do the dogs chase a raccoon to in Chapter 11?
(b) The river.
(c) A tree.
(d) Billy's family's home.
11. What does Papa do to get Little Ann to come back to Billy in Chapter 17?
(a) He pretends to be a raccoon.
(b) He shoots his gun.
(c) He lures her back with a treat.
(d) He calls to her.
12. Where does Little Ann find the "ghost coon" after Billy believes the bet is over?
(a) In the ghost tree.
(b) Down near the river.
(c) In a hollowed out gatepost.
(d) In a hollowed out tree.
13. Why does Billy insist the group look for the dogs rather than wait for them to come back on their own?
(a) He knows Old Dan will never leave a treed raccoon.
(b) He does not feel confident they can find their way back.
(c) He knows Little Ann will never leave a treed raccoon.
(d) They are hunting in an unfamiliar area.
14. Where does Little Ann die?
(a) In the woods.
(b) At Billy's home.
(c) On the hill where the mountain lion attacked.
(d) On Old Dan's grave.
15. Where does Billy's family move to in Chapter 19?
(a) The Ozark Mountains.
(b) A home closer to town.
(d) The city.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Billy think has planted the red fern?
2. Why does Billy decide not to kill the "ghost coon"?
3. What does Billy realize when he hears Old Dan bay while out on the ice?
4. Why does Little Ann stop barking when she trees the "ghost coon"?
5. What does Papa believe would have prevented Billy from moving with the family at the end of the book?
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)