|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Old Dan lure Billy out on to the ice pack?
(a) He is caught in the freezing water.
(b) Little Ann has located the raccoon.
(c) Little Ann is caught in the freezing water.
(d) He is caught on the ice.
2. Which of the following is NOT something Billy believes would be at the dogs' grave sites years later?
(a) Red oaks.
(b) The grave marker his father made.
(c) An old rusty lantern.
(d) Red fern.
3. What does Billy hear during the night in Chapter 15 that he takes as a bad omen?
(a) Old Dan baying.
(b) The sound of mockingbirds.
(c) A storm coming.
(d) The sound of screech owls.
4. What does Papa believe would have prevented Billy from moving with the family at the end of the book?
(a) A desire to stay near the river.
(b) Hunting with the dogs.
(c) His grief over the dogs' deaths.
(d) A desire to stay near the dogs' graves.
5. Why does Billy insist the group look for the dogs rather than wait for them to come back on their own?
(a) He does not feel confident they can find their way back.
(b) They are hunting in an unfamiliar area.
(c) He knows Little Ann will never leave a treed raccoon.
(d) He knows Old Dan will never leave a treed raccoon.
6. What does Billy do to help himself see the dogs in the fog in Chapter 11?
(a) He tries to put his lantern on the ice pack using a length of cane.
(b) He builds a fire near the shore of the river.
(c) He shines his flashlight on the ice pack.
(d) He inches closer to the ice pack.
7. What surprises the hunting contest judge about Billy's dogs' final catch?
(a) They worked together to tree the raccoon.
(b) They were able to find the raccoon again after he walked a rail fence.
(c) They chased the raccoon for miles.
(d) They did not give up even though it was daybreak.
8. Why does Billy decide not to kill the "ghost coon"?
(a) When the raccoon cries, Billy is sympathetic to its feelings.
(b) He wants to allow the dogs to kill it.
(c) He believes killing animals is immoral.
(d) His grandfather tells him not to kill it.
9. Why does Little Ann stop barking when she trees the "ghost coon"?
(a) She is waiting for Old Dan to arrive.
(b) She has lost his scent.
(c) She is waiting for Billy to arrive.
(d) She is unsure that he is actually in the tree.
10. What amazes the other hunters about Old Dan and Little Ann's actions after chasing the raccoon through the river?
(a) They are not tired from swimming.
(b) They tend to each others' wounds before continuing to hunt.
(c) They are able to swim even though they are small.
(d) They do not lose the scent of the raccoon when he goes in the water.
11. What does Billy finally notice about his mother as the family discusses the hunting competition over dinner?
(a) She truly loves his father.
(b) She is supportive of his hunting career.
(c) She is kind and understanding.
(d) She is pregnant.
12. Where do the dogs chase a raccoon to in Chapter 11?
(a) The river.
(b) Billy's family's home.
(c) A tree.
13. How many raccoons do Billy and the dogs catch during the hunting contest?
14. What challenge do the Pritchard boys pose for Billy and the dogs?
(a) Selling the most pelts.
(b) Treeing the "ghost coon."
(c) Catching the biggest raccoon.
(d) Catching more raccoons than they have caught.
15. How is Rubin Pritchard killed?
(a) His brother hits him with the ax.
(b) Billy's dogs attack him.
(c) He trips on branch and falls on his ax.
(d) Billy hits him with the ax when he tries to attack his dogs.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Billy find when he visits to the dogs' graves before leaving home?
2. What criteria must all entrants into the hunting contest in Chapter 14 meet?
3. What happens to Grandpa while searching for Old Dan in the storm?
4. Where does Little Ann find the "ghost coon" after Billy believes the bet is over?
5. What does Billy do to try and gain an advantage on his night of hunting in the contest?
This section contains 782 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)