|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is Rubin Pritchard killed?
(a) Billy hits him with the ax when he tries to attack his dogs.
(b) His brother hits him with the ax.
(c) He trips on branch and falls on his ax.
(d) Billy's dogs attack him.
2. How does Billy react when his grandfather tells him he has entered him into the hunting contest?
(a) He is put off.
(b) He is honored.
(c) He is surprised.
(d) He is ecstatic.
3. Whose bragging helps build Billy's reputation as a hunter?
(a) His father's.
(b) His mother's.
(c) His grandfather's.
(d) His own.
4. Which of the following is NOT something Billy believes would be at the dogs' grave sites years later?
(a) An old rusty lantern.
(b) Red fern.
(c) The grave marker his father made.
(d) Red oaks.
5. Why does Billy decide not to kill the "ghost coon"?
(a) When the raccoon cries, Billy is sympathetic to its feelings.
(b) He wants to allow the dogs to kill it.
(c) His grandfather tells him not to kill it.
(d) He believes killing animals is immoral.
6. Who becomes separated from the group during the storm?
(a) The judge.
7. What does Billy discover when he climbs the ghost tree in Chapter 13?
(a) The raccoon was never there.
(b) The raccoon is treed in it.
(c) The tree is still blooming.
(d) The raccoon is not there.
8. Where does Billy's family move to in Chapter 19?
(b) A home closer to town.
(c) The city.
(d) The Ozark Mountains.
9. Which night does Billy draw to hunt in the contest?
(a) The third night.
(b) The first night.
(c) The last night.
(d) The fourth night.
10. Who ultimately kills the large scary animal in Chapter 18 that Old Dan had treed?
(a) Little Ann.
(c) Old Dan.
11. What does Grandpa give Billy in Chapter 15 that marks him as an adult?
(a) A cup of coffee.
(c) A gun.
12. How many raccoons do Billy and the dogs catch during the hunting contest?
13. Who lays next to Old Dan's dead body before it is buried?
(b) Billy's sisters.
(c) Little Ann.
(d) Billy and Little Ann.
14. Why does Old Dan lure Billy out on to the ice pack?
(a) Little Ann has located the raccoon.
(b) He is caught on the ice.
(c) He is caught in the freezing water.
(d) Little Ann is caught in the freezing water.
15. in Chapter 14, what concern about Little Ann does Billy share with his father?
(a) She is sometimes too small to climb a tree.
(b) She is ill.
(c) She cannot keep up with Old Dan.
(d) She is gun shy.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Billy return to the Ozarks to visit the dogs' graves?
2. What creature does Old Dan tree one day after the competition?
3. What does Billy find when he visits to the dogs' graves before leaving home?
4. What does Billy finally notice about his mother as the family discusses the hunting competition over dinner?
5. What does Billy do to try and gain an advantage on his night of hunting in the contest?
This section contains 568 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)