|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who lays next to Old Dan's dead body before it is buried?
(b) Billy's sisters.
(c) Billy and Little Ann.
(d) Little Ann.
2. What does Papa do to get Little Ann to come back to Billy in Chapter 17?
(a) He lures her back with a treat.
(b) He calls to her.
(c) He pretends to be a raccoon.
(d) He shoots his gun.
3. Why does Billy decide not to kill the "ghost coon"?
(a) He believes killing animals is immoral.
(b) He wants to allow the dogs to kill it.
(c) When the raccoon cries, Billy is sympathetic to its feelings.
(d) His grandfather tells him not to kill it.
4. What does Billy's mother suggest will make him feel better when Old Dan and Little Ann die?
(a) Remembering the good times he had with the dogs.
(b) Getting new dogs.
(c) Praying to God.
(d) Eating dinner.
5. What does Billy find when he visits to the dogs' graves before leaving home?
(a) A grave marker made by his father.
(b) A red fern growing up between them.
(c) The old KC Baking Powder can.
(d) A sycamore tree growing up between them.
6. How many raccoons do Billy and the dogs catch during the hunting contest?
7. Why does Billy end up sleeping under the wagon with his dogs in Chapter 16?
(a) His grandfather's snoring keeps him awake.
(b) His father's snoring keeps him awake.
(c) He does not want to be away from them.
(d) He wants to comfort his tired dogs.
8. What happens to Grandpa as the dogs chase their second raccoon?
(a) He falls into the river.
(b) He is unable to keep up with the group.
(c) He is stricken by laughter.
(d) He becomes ill.
9. What criteria must all entrants into the hunting contest in Chapter 14 meet?
(a) They need to have caught a certain number of raccoons.
(b) They must be at least 18 years old.
(c) They must be seasoned hunters.
(d) They only have to pay a registration fee.
10. Why does Little Ann stop barking when she trees the "ghost coon"?
(a) She has lost his scent.
(b) She is waiting for Billy to arrive.
(c) She is unsure that he is actually in the tree.
(d) She is waiting for Old Dan to arrive.
11. What does Grandpa give Billy in Chapter 15 that marks him as an adult?
(a) A gun.
(d) A cup of coffee.
12. Where does Little Ann die?
(a) In the woods.
(b) At Billy's home.
(c) On the hill where the mountain lion attacked.
(d) On Old Dan's grave.
13. Where does Billy bury the dogs when they die?
(a) Next to the family's cabin.
(b) Under a sycamore tree.
(c) Near the river.
(d) At the base of a red oak tree.
14. Why do the dogs pounce on a large scary animal in Chapter 18 that Old Dan had treed?
(a) It looks like it might attack Billy.
(b) It attacks Billy.
(c) It growls at them.
(d) It stands in a threatening way.
15. Who does Billy think has planted the red fern?
(b) The dogs.
(d) His father.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Billy prepare Little Ann for the beauty contest?
2. When did Billy return to the Ozarks to visit the dogs' graves?
3. How is Rubin Pritchard killed?
4. Who ultimately kills the large scary animal in Chapter 18 that Old Dan had treed?
5. What surprises the hunting contest judge about Billy's dogs' final catch?
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)