|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Little Ann die?
(a) In the woods.
(b) On Old Dan's grave.
(c) On the hill where the mountain lion attacked.
(d) At Billy's home.
2. How does Rainie Pritchard characterize Billy's grandfather?
(a) As fair.
(b) As wealthy.
(c) As mean.
(d) As dishonest.
3. Why does Billy visit his grandfather's store on the day he encounters the Pritchard boys?
(a) He is getting a sack of corn milled for his mother.
(b) He is dropping off pelts to be sold at the store.
(c) He is purchasing hunting supplies.
(d) He is visiting his grandfather.
4. Where do the dogs chase a raccoon to in Chapter 11?
(b) The river.
(c) A tree.
(d) Billy's family's home.
5. Why do the Pritchard boys refuse to give Billy his money back?
(a) They believe that the dogs must kill the raccoon in order for the bet to be won.
(b) They are unfair.
(c) They say he owed them the money.
(d) They are cowards.
6. Where does Little Ann find the "ghost coon" after Billy believes the bet is over?
(a) In the ghost tree.
(b) In a hollowed out tree.
(c) In a hollowed out gatepost.
(d) Down near the river.
7. What does Billy's grandfather tell the boy he must bring with him to the hunting contest?
(a) His dogs and hunting ax.
(b) Only his dogs.
(c) All of the supplies he will need to hunt.
(d) Only himself.
8. Why does Little Ann stop barking when she trees the "ghost coon"?
(a) She is waiting for Billy to arrive.
(b) She has lost his scent.
(c) She is waiting for Old Dan to arrive.
(d) She is unsure that he is actually in the tree.
9. Where does Billy's family move to in Chapter 19?
(a) A home closer to town.
(c) The Ozark Mountains.
(d) The city.
10. in Chapter 14, what concern about Little Ann does Billy share with his father?
(a) She is sometimes too small to climb a tree.
(b) She is ill.
(c) She is gun shy.
(d) She cannot keep up with Old Dan.
11. How many raccoons do Billy and the dogs catch during the hunting contest?
12. How does Billy prepare Little Ann for the beauty contest?
(a) By brushing and rubbing butter into her hair.
(b) By teaching her commands.
(c) By brushing and rubbing hair oil into her hair.
(d) By telling her she is a beautiful dog.
13. What is the significance of the red fern?
(a) It is supposedly planted by an angel at the grave site of two children.
(b) It is supposedly a gift from God.
(c) It is rare and unusual.
(d) It usually only grows in warm climates.
14. What does Billy's father show him to help him feel better when Old Dan and Little Ann die?
(a) The money he earned through hunting.
(b) A new puppy.
(c) The home the family is buying in town.
(d) A grave marker he made for the dogs.
15. Who becomes separated from the group during the storm?
(d) The judge.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who lays next to Old Dan's dead body before it is buried?
2. What happens to Grandpa while searching for Old Dan in the storm?
3. What surprises Billy's grandfather about Little Ann and Old Dan's relationship?
4. Why does Old Dan lure Billy out on to the ice pack?
5. Which of the following is NOT something Billy believes would be at the dogs' grave sites years later?
This section contains 618 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)