|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many years has it been since the unnamed man in Chapter 1 first met his two dogs?
(a) More than 25 years.
(b) More than 5 years.
(c) More than 20 years.
(d) More than 50 years.
2. What does Billy's mother think has happened to him when he comes home yelling after visiting the traps in Chapter 7?
(a) He has been bitten by a snake.
(b) He has caught a raccoon.
(c) One of the puppies has become injured.
(d) He has been bitten by a raccoon.
3. Why does Billy decide to walk to Tahlequah?
(a) He doesn't want to inconvenience his grandfather.
(b) He doesn't have the heart to tell his father about the puppies.
(c) He wants to inspect the puppies.
(d) He cannot stand to wait a week to pick up the puppies.
4. Where does Billy camp with the puppies in Chapter 5?
(a) Just outside of Tahlequah,
(b) In an abandoned building.
(c) In a cave.
(d) In the woods.
5. How does Billy's grandfather help him get the item he needs to train the dogs as trackers?
(a) He teaches Billy how to create a trap using a log, nails and a piece of tin.
(b) He purchases one for Billy from a local hunter.
(c) He gives Billy one he had from when he was a boy.
(d) He gives Billy hunting traps to use.
6. How does Billy's grandfather react when Billy shows him the money he has saved?
(a) He becomes choked up because Billy has been saving for so long.
(b) He is angry that the boy is not giving the money to his family.
(c) He is excited that Billy will finally be able to purchase the puppies.
(d) He is shocked because he didn't believe Billy could do it.
7. Upon bringing them home, where does Billy intend for the puppies to sleep?
(a) In his sisters' beds.
(b) In the doghouse he constructs.
(c) In his bed.
(d) In the family's yard.
8. How much is Billy able to earn per coonskin?
(a) Up to $10.
(b) Exactly $10.
(d) Up to $100.
9. Where does Billy's family live when he is ten?
(a) In the Ozark Mountains.
(b) In the Appalachian Mountains.
(c) In Texas.
(d) In Idaho.
10. What does Billy decide to name the puppies?
(a) Billy and Megan.
(b) Boy and Girl.
(c) Dan and Ann.
(d) Daniel and Annabelle.
11. How does Billy's overwhelming desire for hound puppies affect him physically?
(a) He is unable to complete his chores.
(b) He loses his appetite.
(c) He stops speaking.
(d) He becomes angry and violent.
12. What does Billy trap in his new hunting traps in Chapter 2?
(b) Samie, the pet cat.
(c) A deer.
(d) Several raccoons.
13. What does Billy do with the bag of candy from his grandfather's store?
(a) Shares it with his entire family.
(b) Shares it with his sisters.
(c) Hides it from his sisters.
(d) Eats it on the way home.
14. Why does Old Dan not want to get into Billy's grandfather's buggy in Chapter 9?
(a) He is afraid of the buggy.
(b) He does not want to leave the coon in the tree.
(c) He does not want to leave Little Ann.
(d) He is not tired and hungry.
15. How does the dog in Chapter 1 show the unnamed man he is feeling better?
(a) He licks him.
(b) He eats a large amount of food.
(c) He makes himself at home in the man's house.
(d) He leaves to walk back home.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Billy when his first hunting season opens?
2. What does the Tahlequah marshal give Billy before he leaves Tahlequah?
3. After purchasing the puppies, who does Billy credit with his good fortune in Chapter 6?
4. What does Billy do to prevent Old Dan from entering the hollow tree again?
5. What event helps Mama understand why Billy is determined to cut down "The Big Tree"?
This section contains 661 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)