Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the other hunters tease Billy about when they talk at his grandfather's store?
(a) His age.
(b) That one of his dogs is female.
(c) His obsession with hunting.
(d) The size of his dogs.
2. What secret does Billy's grandfather keep for him?
(a) His hound puppy purchase.
(b) His plan to save money to order the hound puppies.
(c) His continued interest in getting two puppies.
(d) His plan to run away from home to become a hunter.
3. How did Billy's father discover he had traveled to Tahlequah to pick up the puppies?
(a) He was unaware of Billy's travels until the boy returned home.
(b) He received a letter from the Tahlequah deport stationmaster.
(c) He received a phone call from the Tahlequah depot stationmaster.
(d) He talked to Billy's grandfather.
4. What does Billy do to gather strength when he believes he can no longer chop the tree down?
(a) He prays to God for strength.
(b) He looks at the faces of his two dogs.
(c) He rests and eats a hot meal.
(d) He asks his father for help.
5. What impresses the Tahlequah marshal about Billy?
(a) His willingness to work hard to purchase the puppies.
(b) His self-assured attitude.
(c) His interest in hunting.
(d) His willingness to stick up for his puppies.
6. How does Billy's overwhelming desire for hound puppies affect him physically?
(a) He loses his appetite.
(b) He is unable to complete his chores.
(c) He becomes angry and violent.
(d) He stops speaking.
7. Which of the following phrases does NOT characterize Little Ann?
(a) Sweet and loving.
(b) Old Dan's protector.
(c) Extremely intelligent.
(d) Mama's helper.
8. Which of the following is NOT one of the items Billy purchases with his final $10 in Chapter 4?
(a) Shoes for himself.
(b) Cloth for his mother and sisters.
(c) A bag of candy.
(d) Overalls for his father.
9. What happens to Billy when he tries to join in with the activity the children at the playground in Tahlequah are participating in?
(a) He is too frightened to slide down.
(b) He splatters on to the ground.
(c) He gets caught on the pipe.
(d) The children laugh at him.
10. Why do the children at the playground in Tahlequah make fun of Billy?
(a) They say he looks like a hillbilly because he is not wearing shoes.
(b) His hair needs to be cut.
(c) They can tell he lives in another state.
(d) He is not attending school.
11. Why does Billy's mother punish him in Chapter 7?
(a) For using her good scissors to cut a tin can.
(b) For taking a tin can from the junk pile without permission.
(c) For leaving to pick up the puppies without telling her.
(d) For going hunting without permission.
12. Which of the following words best characterizes Billy's reaction to the Tahlequah townspeople's comments about his appearance?
13. How does Billy's grandfather react when Billy shows him the money he has saved?
(a) He is angry that the boy is not giving the money to his family.
(b) He is excited that Billy will finally be able to purchase the puppies.
(c) He becomes choked up because Billy has been saving for so long.
(d) He is shocked because he didn't believe Billy could do it.
14. Why does Billy decide to chop down the tree in Chapter 8 that the dogs have treed their first raccoon in?
(a) He is self assured and confident.
(b) The dogs will not leave the raccoon they have trapped in the tree.
(c) The tree is in the way of the raccoon.
(d) He is desperate to catch his first raccoon.
15. How does the woman watching Billy play in the playground in Tahlequah react to what happens to Billy?
(a) She is disgusted by his appearance.
(b) She reports him to the school principal.
(c) She rushes over to help him.
(d) She laughs at him.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Billy react in Chapter 6 when he discovers his mother's concern for his absence?
2. How does Billy plan on paying his grandfather for the bag of candy he gets from his store?
3. Why does Billy think the sycamore tree falling is an example of divine intervention?
4. Why does Billy feel badly for scolding Little Ann when they return to the sycamore tree in Chapter 9?
5. What does the dog's presence in Chapter 1 awaken in the unnamed man?
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)