|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Billy's dogs have treed their first raccoon, who arrives later in the day to check on Billy?
(c) Billy's grandfather.
(d) His older sister.
2. What does Billy use to make collars for the puppies?
(a) Pieces of his fathers' check lines.
(b) Leather from old shoes.
(c) Bailing wire.
3. What does Billy see for the first time in the general store window in Chapter 4?
(a) A buggy.
(b) A pair of shoes.
(c) A double-barreled gun.
(d) His puppies.
4. What does Billy notice about the size of the puppies in Chapter 5?
(a) The male dog is larger than the female dog.
(b) The female dog is larger than the male dog.
(c) Both of the dogs are smaller than he expected.
(d) Both dogs are larger than he expected.
5. What prevents Billy's parents from buying him the puppies he wants?
(a) They are not available in the area they live in.
(b) They do not believe he will take care of them.
(c) They cannot afford them.
(d) They do not want to have pets.
6. What event helps Mama understand why Billy is determined to cut down "The Big Tree"?
(a) Billy's aching muscles.
(b) Little Ann's return to the tree during the night.
(c) Old Dan's return to the tree during the night.
(d) Billy's faith in God.
7. What problem does Billy face when the dogs finally tree a raccoon?
(a) The raccoon jumps out of the tree.
(b) The tree it is in is the largest in the area.
(c) He is not sure what to do with the dogs while he gets the raccoon out.
(d) He has forgotten his ax.
8. How does Billy react when the women in Tahlequah criticize him while walking through town with his puppies?
(a) He begins crying.
(b) He ignores their comments.
(c) He makes fun of the feathers in their hats.
(d) He gets into a fight with the women.
9. Which of the following is NOT something Billy's grandfather agrees to do to help the boy purchase the puppies?
(a) Lend Billy the money to purchase the puppies.
(b) Contact the kennel to make sure they are still in business.
(c) Place the order for the dogs.
(d) Keep Billy's plan to purchase the puppies a secret.
10. Why does Old Dan run up a hollow tree during a hunt?
(a) To chase Little Ann.
(b) To get a better view of the raccoon running away.
(c) To follow the scent of a raccoon.
(d) To chase a raccoon that is in the tree.
11. How does Billy characterize the female puppy in Chapter 5?
(a) As courageous.
(b) As docile.
(c) As weak.
(d) As smart.
12. What information does Billy's father give him in Chapter 6 about town life that surprises Billy?
(a) He intends to move the family to town at some point in the future.
(b) His father has never been into a town.
(c) His father grew up in a town like Tahlequah.
(d) He intends to move to town to open a store.
13. What do the other hunters tease Billy about when they talk at his grandfather's store?
(a) His obsession with hunting.
(b) That one of his dogs is female.
(c) The size of his dogs.
(d) His age.
14. Which of the following is NOT a way that the unnamed man in Chapter 1 helps the dog?
(a) He bathes and feeds him.
(b) He allows him to rest.
(c) He rescues him from the pack of dogs who are attacking him.
(d) He takes him to a vet.
15. What does the Tahlequah schoolboy do that leads Billy to hit him in Chapter 5?
(a) The boy steps on Billy's bare foot with his cowboy boot.
(b) The boy makes fun of Billy's appearance.
(c) The boy pulls the ears of one of the puppies.
(d) The boy tries to steal the puppies.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Billy decide to name the puppies?
2. What does Billy trap in his new hunting traps in Chapter 2?
3. How did Billy's father discover he had traveled to Tahlequah to pick up the puppies?
4. Which of the following is NOT an attribute that the unnamed man in Chapter 1 notices when examining the dog?
5. Why does Billy decide to walk to Tahlequah?
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)