|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much money does Billy need to earn to purchase two hound puppies?
2. What does Billy's grandfather suggest in Chapter 9 the boy do to keep the coon in the tree while he goes home to rest?
(a) Take the dogs home with him.
(b) Tie the dogs to the tree.
(c) Command the dogs to lie down at the base of the tree.
(d) Construct and place a scarecrow at the base of the tree.
3. How many traps does Billy set up near the river in Chapter 7?
4. What does Billy do to gather strength when he believes he can no longer chop the tree down?
(a) He prays to God for strength.
(b) He asks his father for help.
(c) He looks at the faces of his two dogs.
(d) He rests and eats a hot meal.
5. Who does the unnamed man in Chapter 1 notice fighting as he walks home?
(b) Two boys.
(c) A man and a woman.
6. What does the unnamed man in Chapter 1 conclude about the dog after noticing his paws are worn?
(a) He has been abused.
(b) He has traveled a long way.
(c) He has walked through the woods.
(d) He has been taken hunting many times.
7. What secret does Billy's grandfather keep for him?
(a) His plan to run away from home to become a hunter.
(b) His continued interest in getting two puppies.
(c) His hound puppy purchase.
(d) His plan to save money to order the hound puppies.
8. What happens to Dan when he and the raccoon fight?
(a) He is fine. The raccoon is injured.
(b) His nose is split open.
(c) He is bit by the raccoon.
(d) His paw is cut.
9. Which of the following words best characterizes Billy's reaction to the Tahlequah townspeople's comments about his appearance?
10. What does Billy do with the money he earns from hunting?
(a) He gives it to his father.
(b) He pays off his debts to his grandfather.
(c) He spends it on hunting supplies.
(d) He gives it to his mother.
11. What does Billy discover about the dogs when he wakes in the morning in Chapter 9?
(a) The dogs are as tired as he is.
(b) Little Ann is missing.
(c) The dogs are more determined than he is.
(d) Old Dan is missing.
12. Why do the children at the playground in Tahlequah make fun of Billy?
(a) His hair needs to be cut.
(b) They say he looks like a hillbilly because he is not wearing shoes.
(c) They can tell he lives in another state.
(d) He is not attending school.
13. Which of the following phrases does NOT characterize Old Dan?
(a) Little Ann's protector.
(b) Tough, but friendly.
(c) Sweet and loving.
(d) Devoted to Billy.
14. Upon bringing them home, where does Billy intend for the puppies to sleep?
(a) In his sisters' beds.
(b) In his bed.
(c) In the doghouse he constructs.
(d) In the family's yard.
15. How does the boy dog demonstrate his courage in this chapter?
(a) He protects Billy and the girl puppy
(b) He barks at the cries of a mountain lion
(c) He chases a raccoon
(d) He chases a mountain lion
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Billy observe the boys at the playground in Tahlequah doing that he wants to try for himself?
2. Why does Billy run away from home?
3. Which of the following words best characterizes Billy in Chapter 8?
4. Based on the unnamed man's actions at the end of Chapter 1, what is likely to be the focus of the Chapter 2?
5. What does Billy like to do for fun in Chapter 2?
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)