|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Billy camp with the puppies in Chapter 5?
(a) Just outside of Tahlequah,
(b) In the woods.
(c) In a cave.
(d) In an abandoned building.
2. Which of the following is NOT something Billy's grandfather agrees to do to help the boy purchase the puppies?
(a) Contact the kennel to make sure they are still in business.
(b) Keep Billy's plan to purchase the puppies a secret.
(c) Lend Billy the money to purchase the puppies.
(d) Place the order for the dogs.
3. What does the Tahlequah schoolboy do that leads Billy to hit him in Chapter 5?
(a) The boy makes fun of Billy's appearance.
(b) The boy pulls the ears of one of the puppies.
(c) The boy tries to steal the puppies.
(d) The boy steps on Billy's bare foot with his cowboy boot.
4. Where will Billy need to pick up his puppies?
(a) At his grandfather's store.
(b) At a depot in Kentucky.
(c) At the kennel he ordered them from.
(d) At a depot in Oklahoma.
5. What does Billy's grandfather tell Billy he will need to have to finish cutting down the tree?
(a) Determination and will power.
(b) A new ax.
(c) Faith in God.
(d) Focus and determination.
6. Why does Billy think the sycamore tree falling is an example of divine intervention?
(a) He has an unnatural ability to continue chopping despite the pain.
(b) He has prayed for assistance.
(c) He has a strong faith in God.
(d) The breeze that blows it down does not affect any other tree in the area.
7. What happens to Billy when he tries to join in with the activity the children at the playground in Tahlequah are participating in?
(a) He is too frightened to slide down.
(b) The children laugh at him.
(c) He splatters on to the ground.
(d) He gets caught on the pipe.
8. How does the dog in Chapter 1 show the unnamed man he is feeling better?
(a) He makes himself at home in the man's house.
(b) He eats a large amount of food.
(c) He licks him.
(d) He leaves to walk back home.
9. What does Papa instruct Billy to do to his traps once he has caught his first raccoon?
(a) Move his traps to another location.
(b) Move the traps to the house to save for later.
(c) Take the traps apart and never hunt again.
(d) Take the traps apart and only use the pups to hunt.
10. At the age of ten, what does Billy desperately want to have?
(a) Two dogs.
(b) A brother.
(c) A gun.
(d) A dog.
11. Which of the following is NOT an attribute that the unnamed man in Chapter 1 notices when examining the dog?
(a) He has unusual markings.
(b) He is muddy.
(c) His paws are worn.
(d) He looks malnourished.
12. What happens to Dan when he and the raccoon fight?
(a) His nose is split open.
(b) His paw is cut.
(c) He is fine. The raccoon is injured.
(d) He is bit by the raccoon.
13. After purchasing the puppies, who does Billy credit with his good fortune in Chapter 6?
(a) His grandfather.
(c) His father.
14. What does Billy observe the boys at the playground in Tahlequah doing that he wants to try for himself?
(a) Sliding down a pipe.
(b) Playing ball.
(c) Swinging on the swings.
15. Which of the following is NOT a way Billy earns money for the puppies?
(a) He sells vegetables.
(b) He catches and sells bait to fishermen.
(c) He picks berries to sell at his grandfather's store.
(d) He works in the fields with his father.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Billy do with the bag of candy from his grandfather's store?
2. How does the woman watching Billy play in the playground in Tahlequah react to what happens to Billy?
3. Which of the following phrases does NOT characterize Old Dan?
4. What does the unnamed man in Chapter 1 remove from his mantle while sitting by the fire?
5. What does Little Ann do in Chapter 8 that shows Billy she has not fallen for the raccoon's trick?
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)