|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What problem does Billy face when the dogs finally tree a raccoon?
(a) He has forgotten his ax.
(b) The tree it is in is the largest in the area.
(c) He is not sure what to do with the dogs while he gets the raccoon out.
(d) The raccoon jumps out of the tree.
2. Which of the following is NOT something Billy's grandfather agrees to do to help the boy purchase the puppies?
(a) Place the order for the dogs.
(b) Contact the kennel to make sure they are still in business.
(c) Keep Billy's plan to purchase the puppies a secret.
(d) Lend Billy the money to purchase the puppies.
3. What information does Billy's father give him in Chapter 6 about town life that surprises Billy?
(a) His father has never been into a town.
(b) His father grew up in a town like Tahlequah.
(c) He intends to move to town to open a store.
(d) He intends to move the family to town at some point in the future.
4. What does Billy do each morning when he returns home from hunting?
(a) Helps his mother with chores.
(b) Goes to work in the fields with his father.
(c) Cares for the dogs' feet.
(d) Eats breakfast and goes to bed.
5. What does Little Ann do in Chapter 8 that shows Billy she has not fallen for the raccoon's trick?
(a) She convinces Old Dan to swim across the river.
(b) She swims across the river to find his scent.
(c) She runs up a tree to find him.
(d) She follows the original trail instead of the new one that the raccoon lays.
6. What item does Billy need to train the dogs as trackers?
(a) A whistle.
(c) A coon skin.
(d) A raccoon.
7. How many traps does Billy set up near the river in Chapter 7?
8. What does Billy do with the money he earns from hunting?
(a) He gives it to his father.
(b) He spends it on hunting supplies.
(c) He pays off his debts to his grandfather.
(d) He gives it to his mother.
9. What does the unnamed man in Chapter 1 remove from his mantle while sitting by the fire?
(a) A silver cup and a gold cup.
(b) A silver medal and a gold medal.
(c) A book.
(d) A photograph of his dogs.
10. Why does Old Dan not want to get into Billy's grandfather's buggy in Chapter 9?
(a) He is not tired and hungry.
(b) He does not want to leave the coon in the tree.
(c) He does not want to leave Little Ann.
(d) He is afraid of the buggy.
11. Why does Billy decide to walk to Tahlequah?
(a) He wants to inspect the puppies.
(b) He cannot stand to wait a week to pick up the puppies.
(c) He doesn't want to inconvenience his grandfather.
(d) He doesn't have the heart to tell his father about the puppies.
12. In Chapter 5, what does Billy see the train stationmaster doing that gives him the courage to enter the depot?
(a) Talking to another child.
(b) Caring for his canary.
(c) Putting the puppies.
13. What impresses the Tahlequah marshal about Billy?
(a) His self-assured attitude.
(b) His interest in hunting.
(c) His willingness to stick up for his puppies.
(d) His willingness to work hard to purchase the puppies.
14. What compromise is Billy willing to make because of his parents' financial difficulties?
(a) He asks for only one hound puppy.
(b) He agrees to stop asking for the puppies.
(c) He tells his parents he will wait to get the puppies.
(d) He is willing to take on a part time job.
15. What does Papa instruct Billy to do to his traps once he has caught his first raccoon?
(a) Take the traps apart and only use the pups to hunt.
(b) Move the traps to the house to save for later.
(c) Take the traps apart and never hunt again.
(d) Move his traps to another location.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Billy plan on paying his grandfather for the bag of candy he gets from his store?
2. How does Billy help his father in Chapter 3?
3. How old is Billy when he finally has enough money to buy the puppies?
4. Upon bringing them home, where does Billy intend for the puppies to sleep?
5. Why does Billy choose the particular names for the puppies that he does?
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)