|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Billy feel badly for scolding Little Ann when they return to the sycamore tree in Chapter 9?
(a) She is the more sensitive of the two dogs.
(b) He sees that she also returned to the tree during the night.
(c) She looks sad and despondent.
(d) He realizes she is responsible for finding the coon.
2. Which of the following is NOT one of the items Billy purchases with his final $10 in Chapter 4?
(a) A bag of candy.
(b) Shoes for himself.
(c) Overalls for his father.
(d) Cloth for his mother and sisters.
3. Why does the general store owner offer Billy a pair of shoes?
(a) He is barefooted.
(b) His shoes are torn.
(c) He knows Billy cannot afford new shoes.
(d) His shoes are wet from his walk.
4. What does Billy decide to name the puppies?
(a) Daniel and Annabelle.
(b) Dan and Ann.
(c) Boy and Girl.
(d) Billy and Megan.
5. What type of dog is being attacked by the other dogs in Chapter 1?
(a) A retriever.
(b) An Irish setter.
(c) A redbone hound dog.
(d) A bloodhound.
6. What does Billy do with the bag of candy from his grandfather's store?
(a) Shares it with his sisters.
(b) Hides it from his sisters.
(c) Shares it with his entire family.
(d) Eats it on the way home.
7. How does Billy first react when he sees the puppies?
(a) He is frightened by their size.
(b) He is stunned that they are actually his now.
(c) He scoops them up and kisses them.
(d) He cries with joy.
8. What reason does Billy's father provide for Billy's inability to catch a raccoon in his new traps?
(a) Billy must wait until his scent dissipates before the raccoons will come.
(b) Billy must set up more traps.
(c) Billy needs to be patient because raccoons are hard to find.
(d) Billy must wait for a raccoon to stumble upon the trap.
9. Who helps Billy train the puppies?
(a) Billy's grandfather.
(b) His older sister.
(d) His youngest sister.
10. Which of the following phrases does NOT characterize Little Ann?
(a) Sweet and loving.
(b) Mama's helper.
(c) Old Dan's protector.
(d) Extremely intelligent.
11. What does Billy's grandfather suggest in Chapter 9 the boy do to keep the coon in the tree while he goes home to rest?
(a) Command the dogs to lie down at the base of the tree.
(b) Take the dogs home with him.
(c) Tie the dogs to the tree.
(d) Construct and place a scarecrow at the base of the tree.
12. At the age of ten, what does Billy desperately want to have?
(a) Two dogs.
(b) A gun.
(c) A dog.
(d) A brother.
13. Based on the unnamed man's actions at the end of Chapter 1, what is likely to be the focus of the Chapter 2?
(a) The man's daily routine.
(b) A flashback to the man's childhood.
(c) The man's search for the redbone hound.
(d) A flashback to the man's marriage.
14. What does Mama make out of Billy's first coonskin?
(a) A hat.
(b) A blanket.
(c) A rucksack.
(d) A coat.
15. What breed of dog does Billy's father offer to get for him?
(a) A Redbone Hound.
(b) A Collie.
(c) A Labrador Retriever.
(d) A Coon Hound.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many years has it been since the unnamed man in Chapter 1 first met his two dogs?
2. Why does Billy run away from home?
3. How much is Billy able to earn per coonskin?
4. Which of the following is NOT something Billy's grandfather agrees to do to help the boy purchase the puppies?
5. What does Billy observe the boys at the playground in Tahlequah doing that he wants to try for himself?
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)