|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Billy discover about the dogs when he wakes in the morning in Chapter 9?
(a) The dogs are more determined than he is.
(b) Little Ann is missing.
(c) The dogs are as tired as he is.
(d) Old Dan is missing.
2. What does Billy do to gather strength when he believes he can no longer chop the tree down?
(a) He rests and eats a hot meal.
(b) He looks at the faces of his two dogs.
(c) He asks his father for help.
(d) He prays to God for strength.
3. How does Billy plan on paying his grandfather for the bag of candy he gets from his store?
(a) By working in his grandfather's store.
(b) With the earnings from the sale of his first coonskin.
(c) With money he got for his birthday.
(d) With the money he has saved.
4. What does Billy see for the first time in the general store window in Chapter 4?
(a) A buggy.
(b) His puppies.
(c) A double-barreled gun.
(d) A pair of shoes.
5. After Billy's dogs have treed their first raccoon, who arrives later in the day to check on Billy?
(b) Billy's grandfather.
(d) His older sister.
6. What does Billy like to do for fun in Chapter 2?
(b) Tease his sisters.
(c) Raise puppies.
(d) Track raccoons.
7. What secret does Billy's grandfather keep for him?
(a) His plan to run away from home to become a hunter.
(b) His hound puppy purchase.
(c) His continued interest in getting two puppies.
(d) His plan to save money to order the hound puppies.
8. Why does Old Dan leave Billy's home during the night in Chapter 9?
(a) To swim in the river.
(b) To return to the tree where the coon is.
(c) To track another coon.
(d) To find Little Ann.
9. Where does the unnamed man assume the dog in Chapter 1 lives?
(a) Snake River.
(b) The Ozark Mountains.
(d) In the woods.
10. What does the Tahlequah schoolboy do that leads Billy to hit him in Chapter 5?
(a) The boy pulls the ears of one of the puppies.
(b) The boy steps on Billy's bare foot with his cowboy boot.
(c) The boy makes fun of Billy's appearance.
(d) The boy tries to steal the puppies.
11. How does Billy's overwhelming desire for hound puppies affect him physically?
(a) He becomes angry and violent.
(b) He stops speaking.
(c) He is unable to complete his chores.
(d) He loses his appetite.
12. In Chapter 5, what does Billy see the train stationmaster doing that gives him the courage to enter the depot?
(a) Putting the puppies.
(c) Caring for his canary.
(d) Talking to another child.
13. What does Billy seemingly randomly ask his family that shocks and entertains them in Chapter 4?
(a) For a ride to Kentucky.
(b) How far it is to Kentucky.
(c) For a haircut.
(d) When he can get his puppies.
14. What does Old Dan do when Little Ann cuts her paw?
(a) He leaves her to be cared for by Billy's sisters.
(b) He nurses her back to health.
(c) He fights the animal who hurt Little Ann.
(d) He stays with her rather than going hunting alone with Billy.
15. What does Billy decide to name the puppies?
(a) Billy and Megan.
(b) Daniel and Annabelle.
(c) Dan and Ann.
(d) Boy and Girl.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the age of ten, what does Billy desperately want to have?
2. What compromise is Billy willing to make because of his parents' financial difficulties?
3. Why does Billy run away from home?
4. How does Billy's grandfather react when Billy shows him the money he has saved?
5. Which of the following is NOT an attribute that the unnamed man in Chapter 1 notices when examining the dog?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)