|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Billy notice about the size of the puppies in Chapter 5?
(a) The male dog is larger than the female dog.
(b) Both dogs are larger than he expected.
(c) The female dog is larger than the male dog.
(d) Both of the dogs are smaller than he expected.
2. How long does it take Billy to catch his first raccoon in the traps?
(a) One day.
(b) Exactly one week.
(c) More than a month.
(d) More than a week.
3. Why does Billy decide to chop down the tree in Chapter 8 that the dogs have treed their first raccoon in?
(a) He is self assured and confident.
(b) The dogs will not leave the raccoon they have trapped in the tree.
(c) The tree is in the way of the raccoon.
(d) He is desperate to catch his first raccoon.
4. Why does Billy's mother punish him in Chapter 7?
(a) For going hunting without permission.
(b) For taking a tin can from the junk pile without permission.
(c) For using her good scissors to cut a tin can.
(d) For leaving to pick up the puppies without telling her.
5. How does the dog in Chapter 1 show the unnamed man he is feeling better?
(a) He leaves to walk back home.
(b) He licks him.
(c) He makes himself at home in the man's house.
(d) He eats a large amount of food.
6. What is significant about what Billy finds at the campsite?
(a) It contains valuable hunting tips.
(b) It is outdated.
(c) It contains an ad for hound puppies.
(d) It contains an article about hound puppies.
7. Upon bringing them home, where does Billy intend for the puppies to sleep?
(a) In the family's yard.
(b) In his sisters' beds.
(c) In the doghouse he constructs.
(d) In his bed.
8. What does Billy like to do for fun in Chapter 2?
(a) Tease his sisters.
(c) Raise puppies.
(d) Track raccoons.
9. Why does the general store owner offer Billy a pair of shoes?
(a) He knows Billy cannot afford new shoes.
(b) He is barefooted.
(c) His shoes are torn.
(d) His shoes are wet from his walk.
10. Why does Billy refuse his father's suggestion of what to do the morning after his pups have treed their first raccoon?
(a) He does not want his father to be injured.
(b) He is desperate to catch his first coon alone.
(c) He has given his word to the dogs that he will get the raccoon out.
(d) He wants to prove he is a man.
11. What does Billy do to prevent Old Dan from entering the hollow tree again?
(a) He moves the dogs to another area of the woods to hunt.
(b) He plugs the hole with rocks.
(c) He cuts the tree down.
(d) He punishes him for going up the tree.
12. Which of the following is NOT something Billy's grandfather agrees to do to help the boy purchase the puppies?
(a) Place the order for the dogs.
(b) Keep Billy's plan to purchase the puppies a secret.
(c) Contact the kennel to make sure they are still in business.
(d) Lend Billy the money to purchase the puppies.
13. In Chapter 5, what does Billy see the train stationmaster doing that gives him the courage to enter the depot?
(a) Putting the puppies.
(b) Talking to another child.
(d) Caring for his canary.
14. What does the unnamed man in Chapter 1 conclude about the dog after noticing his paws are worn?
(a) He has traveled a long way.
(b) He has been abused.
(c) He has been taken hunting many times.
(d) He has walked through the woods.
15. What does Billy do with the money he earns from hunting?
(a) He spends it on hunting supplies.
(b) He pays off his debts to his grandfather.
(c) He gives it to his father.
(d) He gives it to his mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Billy trap in his new hunting traps in Chapter 2?
2. How did Billy's father discover he had traveled to Tahlequah to pick up the puppies?
3. Which of the following is NOT one of the items Billy purchases with his final $10 in Chapter 4?
4. How does Billy first react when he sees the puppies?
5. What reason does Billy's father provide for Billy's inability to catch a raccoon in his new traps?
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)