|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many traps does Billy set up near the river in Chapter 7?
2. How does the woman watching Billy play in the playground in Tahlequah react to what happens to Billy?
(a) She reports him to the school principal.
(b) She laughs at him.
(c) She is disgusted by his appearance.
(d) She rushes over to help him.
3. Where does the unnamed man assume the dog in Chapter 1 lives?
(a) Snake River.
(b) The Ozark Mountains.
(d) In the woods.
4. What does the individual who visits Billy in the afternoon after his pups have treed their first raccoon bring him?
(a) Fresh clothes.
(b) A new ax blade.
(c) Lunch and a meal for the dogs.
5. What does the unnamed man in Chapter 1 conclude about the dog after noticing his paws are worn?
(a) He has traveled a long way.
(b) He has been abused.
(c) He has been taken hunting many times.
(d) He has walked through the woods.
6. How does Billy's grandfather react when Billy shows him the money he has saved?
(a) He is angry that the boy is not giving the money to his family.
(b) He becomes choked up because Billy has been saving for so long.
(c) He is excited that Billy will finally be able to purchase the puppies.
(d) He is shocked because he didn't believe Billy could do it.
7. Upon bringing them home, where does Billy intend for the puppies to sleep?
(a) In the family's yard.
(b) In the doghouse he constructs.
(c) In his sisters' beds.
(d) In his bed.
8. What does Billy's father suggest he do in the morning after his pups have treed their first raccoon?
(a) Give up and look for another raccoon.
(b) Go home and have some breakfast while Papa continues chopping the tree.
(c) Go home to rest and return later in the day to finish chopping the tree.
(d) Take a nap then resume chopping.
9. What does Billy use as a piggy bank?
(a) An old sock.
(b) An old soda can.
(c) A jar.
(d) An old baking powder can.
10. What does Billy discover about the dogs when he wakes in the morning in Chapter 9?
(a) Little Ann is missing.
(b) Old Dan is missing.
(c) The dogs are more determined than he is.
(d) The dogs are as tired as he is.
11. What problem does Billy face when the dogs finally tree a raccoon?
(a) He has forgotten his ax.
(b) He is not sure what to do with the dogs while he gets the raccoon out.
(c) The tree it is in is the largest in the area.
(d) The raccoon jumps out of the tree.
12. What reason does Billy's father provide for Billy's inability to catch a raccoon in his new traps?
(a) Billy must wait for a raccoon to stumble upon the trap.
(b) Billy needs to be patient because raccoons are hard to find.
(c) Billy must wait until his scent dissipates before the raccoons will come.
(d) Billy must set up more traps.
13. What does Billy's grandfather tell Billy he will need to have to finish cutting down the tree?
(a) Focus and determination.
(b) Faith in God.
(c) Determination and will power.
(d) A new ax.
14. In Chapter 5, what does Billy see the train stationmaster doing that gives him the courage to enter the depot?
(a) Putting the puppies.
(c) Caring for his canary.
(d) Talking to another child.
15. What is significant about what Billy finds at the campsite?
(a) It contains an ad for hound puppies.
(b) It contains an article about hound puppies.
(c) It is outdated.
(d) It contains valuable hunting tips.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is NOT a realization Billy comes to upon returning home with the puppies?
2. Why does Billy refuse his father's suggestion of what to do the morning after his pups have treed their first raccoon?
3. How long does it take Billy to catch his first raccoon in the traps?
4. What does the unnamed man in Chapter 1 remove from his mantle while sitting by the fire?
5. Where does Billy camp with the puppies in Chapter 5?
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)