|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who helps Billy train the puppies?
(b) His older sister.
(c) His youngest sister.
(d) Billy's grandfather.
2. Which of the following phrases does NOT characterize Old Dan?
(a) Devoted to Billy.
(b) Tough, but friendly.
(c) Little Ann's protector.
(d) Sweet and loving.
3. What does Billy's father give him to help him cope with not getting hound puppies?
(a) A kitten.
(b) A collie puppy.
(d) A coonskin hat.
4. How many traps does Billy set up near the river in Chapter 7?
5. Why does Billy feel badly for scolding Little Ann when they return to the sycamore tree in Chapter 9?
(a) She looks sad and despondent.
(b) He realizes she is responsible for finding the coon.
(c) He sees that she also returned to the tree during the night.
(d) She is the more sensitive of the two dogs.
6. What happens to Billy when he tries to join in with the activity the children at the playground in Tahlequah are participating in?
(a) The children laugh at him.
(b) He gets caught on the pipe.
(c) He splatters on to the ground.
(d) He is too frightened to slide down.
7. Which of the following words best characterizes Billy's reaction to the Tahlequah townspeople's comments about his appearance?
8. Why does Billy become disillusioned with his new hunting traps?
(a) They are not appropriate for catching raccoons.
(b) They break easily.
(c) He doesn't know how to operate them properly.
(d) He is unable to catch a raccoon.
9. What does Billy do to prevent Old Dan from entering the hollow tree again?
(a) He plugs the hole with rocks.
(b) He punishes him for going up the tree.
(c) He moves the dogs to another area of the woods to hunt.
(d) He cuts the tree down.
10. Why does Billy's mother punish him in Chapter 7?
(a) For leaving to pick up the puppies without telling her.
(b) For going hunting without permission.
(c) For using her good scissors to cut a tin can.
(d) For taking a tin can from the junk pile without permission.
11. What problem does Billy face when the dogs finally tree a raccoon?
(a) The raccoon jumps out of the tree.
(b) He has forgotten his ax.
(c) He is not sure what to do with the dogs while he gets the raccoon out.
(d) The tree it is in is the largest in the area.
12. What does Billy use to make collars for the puppies?
(a) Bailing wire.
(b) Pieces of his fathers' check lines.
(d) Leather from old shoes.
13. What event helps Mama understand why Billy is determined to cut down "The Big Tree"?
(a) Billy's faith in God.
(b) Old Dan's return to the tree during the night.
(c) Billy's aching muscles.
(d) Little Ann's return to the tree during the night.
14. After purchasing the puppies, who does Billy credit with his good fortune in Chapter 6?
(a) His father.
(c) His grandfather.
15. How does Billy first react when he sees the puppies?
(a) He scoops them up and kisses them.
(b) He cries with joy.
(c) He is frightened by their size.
(d) He is stunned that they are actually his now.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Billy's grandfather suggest in Chapter 9 the boy do to keep the coon in the tree while he goes home to rest?
2. Upon bringing them home, where does Billy intend for the puppies to sleep?
3. What does Little Ann do just as Billy is about to move the dogs to a new location in Chapter 8?
4. Which of the following is NOT a way Billy earns money for the puppies?
5. What happens to Dan when he and the raccoon fight?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)