|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What problem does Billy face when the dogs finally tree a raccoon?
(a) The tree it is in is the largest in the area.
(b) He has forgotten his ax.
(c) He is not sure what to do with the dogs while he gets the raccoon out.
(d) The raccoon jumps out of the tree.
2. What does Billy do with the bag of candy from his grandfather's store?
(a) Eats it on the way home.
(b) Shares it with his entire family.
(c) Shares it with his sisters.
(d) Hides it from his sisters.
3. What does the unnamed man in Chapter 1 remove from his mantle while sitting by the fire?
(a) A silver cup and a gold cup.
(b) A photograph of his dogs.
(c) A book.
(d) A silver medal and a gold medal.
4. Why does Billy run away from home?
(a) To go purchase two hound puppies.
(b) To pursue a career as a hunter.
(c) His sisters tease him relentlessly about wanting puppies.
(d) His parents deny him hound puppies for a second time.
5. Why does Billy think the sycamore tree falling is an example of divine intervention?
(a) He has an unnatural ability to continue chopping despite the pain.
(b) He has a strong faith in God.
(c) He has prayed for assistance.
(d) The breeze that blows it down does not affect any other tree in the area.
6. Where does the unnamed man assume the dog in Chapter 1 lives?
(a) In the woods.
(c) Snake River.
(d) The Ozark Mountains.
7. Why does Billy become disillusioned with his new hunting traps?
(a) He is unable to catch a raccoon.
(b) They break easily.
(c) They are not appropriate for catching raccoons.
(d) He doesn't know how to operate them properly.
8. What does Billy decide to name the puppies?
(a) Dan and Ann.
(b) Billy and Megan.
(c) Boy and Girl.
(d) Daniel and Annabelle.
9. Why does Billy decide to walk to Tahlequah?
(a) He wants to inspect the puppies.
(b) He cannot stand to wait a week to pick up the puppies.
(c) He doesn't have the heart to tell his father about the puppies.
(d) He doesn't want to inconvenience his grandfather.
10. Upon bringing them home, where does Billy intend for the puppies to sleep?
(a) In his sisters' beds.
(b) In his bed.
(c) In the family's yard.
(d) In the doghouse he constructs.
11. In Chapter 5, what does Billy see the train stationmaster doing that gives him the courage to enter the depot?
(a) Caring for his canary.
(b) Talking to another child.
(c) Putting the puppies.
12. Why does Billy become concerned when the Tahlequah marshal breaks up the fight?
(a) He is afraid the marshal will put him in jail for fighting.
(b) He thinks the marshal will arrest him.
(c) He thinks the marshal will also hit him.
(d) He is afraid the marshal will confiscate the puppies.
13. How old is Billy when he finally has enough money to buy the puppies?
14. Which of the following is NOT a way that the unnamed man in Chapter 1 helps the dog?
(a) He takes him to a vet.
(b) He bathes and feeds him.
(c) He allows him to rest.
(d) He rescues him from the pack of dogs who are attacking him.
15. How much is Billy able to earn per coonskin?
(b) Up to $100.
(c) Up to $10.
(d) Exactly $10.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Billy observe the boys at the playground in Tahlequah doing that he wants to try for himself?
2. How does Billy characterize the female puppy in Chapter 5?
3. What does Mama make out of Billy's first coonskin?
4. Where does Billy camp with the puppies in Chapter 5?
5. How does the boy dog demonstrate his courage in this chapter?
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)