|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Billy's mother punish him in Chapter 7?
(a) For using her good scissors to cut a tin can.
(b) For going hunting without permission.
(c) For leaving to pick up the puppies without telling her.
(d) For taking a tin can from the junk pile without permission.
2. How does Billy's overwhelming desire for hound puppies affect him physically?
(a) He is unable to complete his chores.
(b) He becomes angry and violent.
(c) He loses his appetite.
(d) He stops speaking.
3. Why does Billy run away from home?
(a) To pursue a career as a hunter.
(b) To go purchase two hound puppies.
(c) His parents deny him hound puppies for a second time.
(d) His sisters tease him relentlessly about wanting puppies.
4. How did Billy's father discover he had traveled to Tahlequah to pick up the puppies?
(a) He talked to Billy's grandfather.
(b) He was unaware of Billy's travels until the boy returned home.
(c) He received a phone call from the Tahlequah depot stationmaster.
(d) He received a letter from the Tahlequah deport stationmaster.
5. In Chapter 5, what does Billy see the train stationmaster doing that gives him the courage to enter the depot?
(b) Putting the puppies.
(c) Caring for his canary.
(d) Talking to another child.
6. What did Billy bring to Tahlequah to carry the puppies home in?
(a) A gunny sack.
(b) A box.
(c) A wagon.
(d) A backpack.
7. What fear must Billy help the puppies overcome?
(a) A fear of trees.
(b) A fear of dark places.
(c) A fear of water.
(d) A fear of raccoons.
8. Why does Billy decide to chop down the tree in Chapter 8 that the dogs have treed their first raccoon in?
(a) The tree is in the way of the raccoon.
(b) He is self assured and confident.
(c) The dogs will not leave the raccoon they have trapped in the tree.
(d) He is desperate to catch his first raccoon.
9. Why does Billy become concerned when the Tahlequah marshal breaks up the fight?
(a) He thinks the marshal will also hit him.
(b) He is afraid the marshal will put him in jail for fighting.
(c) He is afraid the marshal will confiscate the puppies.
(d) He thinks the marshal will arrest him.
10. How does Billy help his father in Chapter 3?
(a) By working in the fields with him.
(b) By not asking him for the puppies any longer.
(c) By performing chores around the house.
(d) By taking care of his sisters.
11. What type of dog is being attacked by the other dogs in Chapter 1?
(a) A redbone hound dog.
(b) A retriever.
(c) An Irish setter.
(d) A bloodhound.
12. Which of the following is NOT one of the items Billy purchases with his final $10 in Chapter 4?
(a) A bag of candy.
(b) Shoes for himself.
(c) Overalls for his father.
(d) Cloth for his mother and sisters.
13. Based on the unnamed man's actions at the end of Chapter 1, what is likely to be the focus of the Chapter 2?
(a) A flashback to the man's childhood.
(b) The man's daily routine.
(c) The man's search for the redbone hound.
(d) A flashback to the man's marriage.
14. Where does Billy's family live when he is ten?
(a) In Idaho.
(b) In the Ozark Mountains.
(c) In the Appalachian Mountains.
(d) In Texas.
15. What does Billy trap in his new hunting traps in Chapter 2?
(a) Several raccoons.
(b) A deer.
(c) Samie, the pet cat.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the unnamed man in Chapter 1 conclude about the dog after noticing his paws are worn?
2. What does Billy seemingly randomly ask his family that shocks and entertains them in Chapter 4?
3. Which of the following is NOT a way that the unnamed man in Chapter 1 helps the dog?
4. What does Billy find at the abandoned campsite?
5. Who arrives to check on Billy in Chapter 8 when he has not returned home from hunting by morning?
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)