|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What fear must Billy help the puppies overcome?
(a) A fear of water.
(b) A fear of trees.
(c) A fear of dark places.
(d) A fear of raccoons.
2. Why does Billy choose the particular names for the puppies that he does?
(a) He sees them carved on a tree at the campsite where he found the sportsman's magazine.
(b) His sisters choose the names.
(c) They are his grandparents' names.
(d) He saw them in an old sportsman's magazine.
3. What does the individual who visits Billy in the afternoon after his pups have treed their first raccoon bring him?
(a) Lunch and a meal for the dogs.
(b) A new ax blade.
(c) Fresh clothes.
4. Who does the unnamed man in Chapter 1 notice fighting as he walks home?
(b) Two boys.
(d) A man and a woman.
5. Why does Billy apologize to the sycamore tree?
(a) He had to destroy it to honor his promise to the dogs.
(b) He believes God destroyed it for him.
(c) He is ambivalent about hunting.
(d) He injured it severely by chopping it, yet was unable to chop it down.
6. Why does Billy refuse his father's suggestion of what to do the morning after his pups have treed their first raccoon?
(a) He has given his word to the dogs that he will get the raccoon out.
(b) He does not want his father to be injured.
(c) He is desperate to catch his first coon alone.
(d) He wants to prove he is a man.
7. What does Billy's grandfather tell him that raccoons cannot resist?
(a) Shiny objects.
(b) Fallen logs.
8. What does Billy's grandfather suggest in Chapter 9 the boy do to keep the coon in the tree while he goes home to rest?
(a) Tie the dogs to the tree.
(b) Construct and place a scarecrow at the base of the tree.
(c) Command the dogs to lie down at the base of the tree.
(d) Take the dogs home with him.
9. How does Billy's grandfather react when Billy shows him the money he has saved?
(a) He is excited that Billy will finally be able to purchase the puppies.
(b) He is angry that the boy is not giving the money to his family.
(c) He becomes choked up because Billy has been saving for so long.
(d) He is shocked because he didn't believe Billy could do it.
10. Why does Old Dan leave Billy's home during the night in Chapter 9?
(a) To track another coon.
(b) To return to the tree where the coon is.
(c) To find Little Ann.
(d) To swim in the river.
11. What does Old Dan do when Little Ann cuts her paw?
(a) He nurses her back to health.
(b) He stays with her rather than going hunting alone with Billy.
(c) He leaves her to be cared for by Billy's sisters.
(d) He fights the animal who hurt Little Ann.
12. What does the unnamed man in Chapter 1 remove from his mantle while sitting by the fire?
(a) A book.
(b) A photograph of his dogs.
(c) A silver medal and a gold medal.
(d) A silver cup and a gold cup.
13. Which of the following words best characterizes Billy in Chapter 8?
14. Who helps Billy train the puppies?
(a) Billy's grandfather.
(b) His older sister.
(c) His youngest sister.
15. What event helps Mama understand why Billy is determined to cut down "The Big Tree"?
(a) Billy's aching muscles.
(b) Little Ann's return to the tree during the night.
(c) Old Dan's return to the tree during the night.
(d) Billy's faith in God.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 5, what does Billy see the train stationmaster doing that gives him the courage to enter the depot?
2. What does Billy notice about the size of the puppies in Chapter 5?
3. How many years has it been since the unnamed man in Chapter 1 first met his two dogs?
4. At the age of ten, what does Billy desperately want to have?
5. How does Billy react in Chapter 6 when he discovers his mother's concern for his absence?
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)