|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is Billy when his first hunting season opens?
2. Why does Billy's grandfather believe the price of coonskins will increase?
(a) Coonskins are becoming more rare.
(b) There are less hunters than there were before.
(c) Coonskin hats have become popular.
(d) Coonskin coats have become popular.
3. Which of the following is NOT an attribute that the unnamed man in Chapter 1 notices when examining the dog?
(a) His paws are worn.
(b) He has unusual markings.
(c) He looks malnourished.
(d) He is muddy.
4. Why does Billy apologize to the sycamore tree?
(a) He had to destroy it to honor his promise to the dogs.
(b) He is ambivalent about hunting.
(c) He injured it severely by chopping it, yet was unable to chop it down.
(d) He believes God destroyed it for him.
5. What does Billy do to prevent Old Dan from entering the hollow tree again?
(a) He punishes him for going up the tree.
(b) He moves the dogs to another area of the woods to hunt.
(c) He plugs the hole with rocks.
(d) He cuts the tree down.
6. Why does the unnamed man in Chapter 1 leave his gate open?
(a) To welcome visitors.
(b) To allow the dog to roam freely.
(c) In case the dog returns.
(d) To allow other dogs to take refuge in his yard.
7. Where do Billy and the puppies stop to rest on their journey home from Tahlequah?
(a) At his grandfather's store.
(b) In a town outside of the Ozark Mountains.
(c) The abandoned campsite where he found the magazine.
(d) Alongside the river.
8. Why does Billy think the sycamore tree falling is an example of divine intervention?
(a) He has an unnatural ability to continue chopping despite the pain.
(b) He has a strong faith in God.
(c) He has prayed for assistance.
(d) The breeze that blows it down does not affect any other tree in the area.
9. What does Billy do each morning when he returns home from hunting?
(a) Cares for the dogs' feet.
(b) Helps his mother with chores.
(c) Eats breakfast and goes to bed.
(d) Goes to work in the fields with his father.
10. What does Billy notice about the size of the puppies in Chapter 5?
(a) The male dog is larger than the female dog.
(b) The female dog is larger than the male dog.
(c) Both dogs are larger than he expected.
(d) Both of the dogs are smaller than he expected.
11. What does Billy discover about the dogs when he wakes in the morning in Chapter 9?
(a) Old Dan is missing.
(b) The dogs are more determined than he is.
(c) Little Ann is missing.
(d) The dogs are as tired as he is.
12. Why does Old Dan run up a hollow tree during a hunt?
(a) To get a better view of the raccoon running away.
(b) To chase Little Ann.
(c) To chase a raccoon that is in the tree.
(d) To follow the scent of a raccoon.
13. What does Billy find at the abandoned campsite?
(a) A sportsman's magazine.
(c) A hound puppy.
(d) An old tent.
14. How much money does Billy need to earn to purchase two hound puppies?
15. What does Billy trap in his new hunting traps in Chapter 2?
(a) A deer.
(c) Samie, the pet cat.
(d) Several raccoons.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the general store owner offer Billy a pair of shoes?
2. Where does the unnamed man assume the dog in Chapter 1 lives?
3. What does Billy's grandfather tell him that raccoons cannot resist?
4. Which of the following words best characterizes Billy in Chapter 8?
5. How many traps does Billy set up near the river in Chapter 7?
This section contains 604 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)