|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Billy's mother think has happened to him when he comes home yelling after visiting the traps in Chapter 7?
(a) He has been bitten by a snake.
(b) One of the puppies has become injured.
(c) He has caught a raccoon.
(d) He has been bitten by a raccoon.
2. Which of the following words best characterizes Billy in Chapter 8?
3. How does Billy help his father in Chapter 3?
(a) By performing chores around the house.
(b) By taking care of his sisters.
(c) By not asking him for the puppies any longer.
(d) By working in the fields with him.
4. What does Billy trap in his new hunting traps in Chapter 2?
(a) Samie, the pet cat.
(b) A deer.
(d) Several raccoons.
5. How does the woman watching Billy play in the playground in Tahlequah react to what happens to Billy?
(a) She rushes over to help him.
(b) She is disgusted by his appearance.
(c) She laughs at him.
(d) She reports him to the school principal.
6. Why does Billy run away from home?
(a) His parents deny him hound puppies for a second time.
(b) His sisters tease him relentlessly about wanting puppies.
(c) To go purchase two hound puppies.
(d) To pursue a career as a hunter.
7. What does Billy do to gather strength when he believes he can no longer chop the tree down?
(a) He rests and eats a hot meal.
(b) He asks his father for help.
(c) He prays to God for strength.
(d) He looks at the faces of his two dogs.
8. How does Billy plan on paying his grandfather for the bag of candy he gets from his store?
(a) With money he got for his birthday.
(b) With the earnings from the sale of his first coonskin.
(c) By working in his grandfather's store.
(d) With the money he has saved.
9. What does Billy's grandfather tell Billy he will need to have to finish cutting down the tree?
(a) Focus and determination.
(b) A new ax.
(c) Determination and will power.
(d) Faith in God.
10. What does the dog's presence in Chapter 1 awaken in the unnamed man?
(a) Feelings of loneliness.
(b) A long forgotten fondness for animals.
(c) Childhood memories of his cats.
(d) Childhood memories of his two dogs.
11. What does Little Ann do in Chapter 8 that shows Billy she has not fallen for the raccoon's trick?
(a) She swims across the river to find his scent.
(b) She runs up a tree to find him.
(c) She convinces Old Dan to swim across the river.
(d) She follows the original trail instead of the new one that the raccoon lays.
12. How does Billy characterize Tahlequah when talking with his father in Chapter 6?
(a) As wonderful.
(b) As exciting.
(c) As unpleasant.
(d) As confusing.
13. What does Billy's father give him to help him cope with not getting hound puppies?
(a) A coonskin hat.
(b) A collie puppy.
(c) A kitten.
14. What fear must Billy help the puppies overcome?
(a) A fear of trees.
(b) A fear of water.
(c) A fear of dark places.
(d) A fear of raccoons.
15. What does Billy tell his mother is the reason why he was able to get the puppies?
(a) God answered his prayer.
(b) He earned the money over three summers.
(c) He borrowed money from his grandfather.
(d) His grandfather surprised him with the puppies.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much is Billy able to earn per coonskin?
2. How does Billy's sister react to his plan to cut down "The Big Tree"?
3. What does Billy use as a piggy bank?
4. Why does Billy's mother punish him in Chapter 7?
5. Why does Old Dan leave Billy's home during the night in Chapter 9?
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)