|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does the unnamed man in Chapter 1 notice fighting as he walks home?
(b) Two boys.
(c) A man and a woman.
2. Where do Billy and the puppies stop to rest on their journey home from Tahlequah?
(a) At his grandfather's store.
(b) The abandoned campsite where he found the magazine.
(c) Alongside the river.
(d) In a town outside of the Ozark Mountains.
3. How does Billy plan on paying his grandfather for the bag of candy he gets from his store?
(a) By working in his grandfather's store.
(b) With money he got for his birthday.
(c) With the earnings from the sale of his first coonskin.
(d) With the money he has saved.
4. Where does the unnamed man assume the dog in Chapter 1 lives?
(b) In the woods.
(c) Snake River.
(d) The Ozark Mountains.
5. How does the boy dog demonstrate his courage in this chapter?
(a) He chases a mountain lion
(b) He barks at the cries of a mountain lion
(c) He chases a raccoon
(d) He protects Billy and the girl puppy
6. What does Billy find at the abandoned campsite?
(a) A sportsman's magazine.
(b) A hound puppy.
(c) An old tent.
7. How does Billy react when the women in Tahlequah criticize him while walking through town with his puppies?
(a) He gets into a fight with the women.
(b) He ignores their comments.
(c) He makes fun of the feathers in their hats.
(d) He begins crying.
8. How much is Billy able to earn per coonskin?
(a) Exactly $10.
(c) Up to $100.
(d) Up to $10.
9. What does Billy's grandfather tell him that raccoons cannot resist?
(a) Fallen logs.
(b) Shiny objects.
10. How does the dog in Chapter 1 show the unnamed man he is feeling better?
(a) He leaves to walk back home.
(b) He makes himself at home in the man's house.
(c) He eats a large amount of food.
(d) He licks him.
11. Why does Billy refuse his father's suggestion of what to do the morning after his pups have treed their first raccoon?
(a) He has given his word to the dogs that he will get the raccoon out.
(b) He wants to prove he is a man.
(c) He is desperate to catch his first coon alone.
(d) He does not want his father to be injured.
12. How does Billy's grandfather react when Billy shows him the money he has saved?
(a) He is excited that Billy will finally be able to purchase the puppies.
(b) He is angry that the boy is not giving the money to his family.
(c) He is shocked because he didn't believe Billy could do it.
(d) He becomes choked up because Billy has been saving for so long.
13. What does the individual who visits Billy in the afternoon after his pups have treed their first raccoon bring him?
(a) A new ax blade.
(b) Fresh clothes.
(d) Lunch and a meal for the dogs.
14. What does Papa instruct Billy to do to his traps once he has caught his first raccoon?
(a) Move his traps to another location.
(b) Take the traps apart and only use the pups to hunt.
(c) Move the traps to the house to save for later.
(d) Take the traps apart and never hunt again.
15. What compromise is Billy willing to make because of his parents' financial difficulties?
(a) He asks for only one hound puppy.
(b) He is willing to take on a part time job.
(c) He tells his parents he will wait to get the puppies.
(d) He agrees to stop asking for the puppies.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Billy when he finally has enough money to buy the puppies?
2. What impresses the Tahlequah marshal about Billy?
3. Why does Billy try to get the dogs to stay at home when he takes hides to his grandfather's store?
4. What does Little Ann do in Chapter 8 that shows Billy she has not fallen for the raccoon's trick?
5. In Chapter 5, what does Billy see the train stationmaster doing that gives him the courage to enter the depot?
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)