|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Billy do to gather strength when he believes he can no longer chop the tree down?
(a) He prays to God for strength.
(b) He asks his father for help.
(c) He looks at the faces of his two dogs.
(d) He rests and eats a hot meal.
2. Where do Billy and the puppies stop to rest on their journey home from Tahlequah?
(a) The abandoned campsite where he found the magazine.
(b) At his grandfather's store.
(c) In a town outside of the Ozark Mountains.
(d) Alongside the river.
3. Why does Billy's grandfather believe the price of coonskins will increase?
(a) Coonskin hats have become popular.
(b) Coonskins are becoming more rare.
(c) There are less hunters than there were before.
(d) Coonskin coats have become popular.
4. What breed of dog does Billy's father offer to get for him?
(a) A Collie.
(b) A Redbone Hound.
(c) A Labrador Retriever.
(d) A Coon Hound.
5. How many traps does Billy set up near the river in Chapter 7?
6. Which of the following is NOT something Billy's grandfather agrees to do to help the boy purchase the puppies?
(a) Lend Billy the money to purchase the puppies.
(b) Place the order for the dogs.
(c) Contact the kennel to make sure they are still in business.
(d) Keep Billy's plan to purchase the puppies a secret.
7. What prevents Billy's parents from buying him the puppies he wants?
(a) They do not believe he will take care of them.
(b) They are not available in the area they live in.
(c) They cannot afford them.
(d) They do not want to have pets.
8. What is significant about what Billy finds at the campsite?
(a) It is outdated.
(b) It contains valuable hunting tips.
(c) It contains an article about hound puppies.
(d) It contains an ad for hound puppies.
9. What does Billy discover about the dogs when he wakes in the morning in Chapter 9?
(a) The dogs are more determined than he is.
(b) The dogs are as tired as he is.
(c) Little Ann is missing.
(d) Old Dan is missing.
10. What does Little Ann do just as Billy is about to move the dogs to a new location in Chapter 8?
(a) She trees a coon.
(b) She finds the coon's trail again.
(c) She crosses the river.
(d) She begins barking.
11. How does Billy's grandfather react when Billy shows him the money he has saved?
(a) He is excited that Billy will finally be able to purchase the puppies.
(b) He is shocked because he didn't believe Billy could do it.
(c) He is angry that the boy is not giving the money to his family.
(d) He becomes choked up because Billy has been saving for so long.
12. How does Billy characterize the female puppy in Chapter 5?
(a) As weak.
(b) As smart.
(c) As docile.
(d) As courageous.
13. What does Billy's father give him to help him cope with not getting hound puppies?
(a) A collie puppy.
(b) A kitten.
(c) A coonskin hat.
14. How much is Billy able to earn per coonskin?
(a) Up to $10.
(c) Exactly $10.
(d) Up to $100.
15. Who does the unnamed man in Chapter 1 notice fighting as he walks home?
(b) Two boys.
(d) A man and a woman.
Short Answer Questions
1. What problem does Billy face when the dogs finally tree a raccoon?
2. What does Billy notice about the size of the puppies in Chapter 5?
3. Why does Old Dan leave Billy's home during the night in Chapter 9?
4. Why does Billy choose the particular names for the puppies that he does?
5. Which of the following is NOT a realization Billy comes to upon returning home with the puppies?
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)