|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of dog is being attacked by the other dogs in Chapter 1?
(a) An Irish setter.
(b) A redbone hound dog.
(c) A bloodhound.
(d) A retriever.
2. Why does Billy apologize to the sycamore tree?
(a) He had to destroy it to honor his promise to the dogs.
(b) He injured it severely by chopping it, yet was unable to chop it down.
(c) He believes God destroyed it for him.
(d) He is ambivalent about hunting.
3. What does Little Ann do in Chapter 8 that shows Billy she has not fallen for the raccoon's trick?
(a) She follows the original trail instead of the new one that the raccoon lays.
(b) She runs up a tree to find him.
(c) She convinces Old Dan to swim across the river.
(d) She swims across the river to find his scent.
4. What does the unnamed man in Chapter 1 conclude about the dog after noticing his paws are worn?
(a) He has been taken hunting many times.
(b) He has been abused.
(c) He has walked through the woods.
(d) He has traveled a long way.
5. Based on the unnamed man's actions at the end of Chapter 1, what is likely to be the focus of the Chapter 2?
(a) A flashback to the man's marriage.
(b) A flashback to the man's childhood.
(c) The man's daily routine.
(d) The man's search for the redbone hound.
6. What impresses the Tahlequah marshal about Billy?
(a) His willingness to work hard to purchase the puppies.
(b) His willingness to stick up for his puppies.
(c) His self-assured attitude.
(d) His interest in hunting.
7. What does Mama make out of Billy's first coonskin?
(a) A coat.
(b) A rucksack.
(c) A hat.
(d) A blanket.
8. What does Billy do each morning when he returns home from hunting?
(a) Cares for the dogs' feet.
(b) Goes to work in the fields with his father.
(c) Helps his mother with chores.
(d) Eats breakfast and goes to bed.
9. What happens to Billy when he tries to join in with the activity the children at the playground in Tahlequah are participating in?
(a) He gets caught on the pipe.
(b) He is too frightened to slide down.
(c) He splatters on to the ground.
(d) The children laugh at him.
10. Why does Billy think the sycamore tree falling is an example of divine intervention?
(a) The breeze that blows it down does not affect any other tree in the area.
(b) He has an unnatural ability to continue chopping despite the pain.
(c) He has prayed for assistance.
(d) He has a strong faith in God.
11. What does Billy's father suggest he do in the morning after his pups have treed their first raccoon?
(a) Go home to rest and return later in the day to finish chopping the tree.
(b) Give up and look for another raccoon.
(c) Go home and have some breakfast while Papa continues chopping the tree.
(d) Take a nap then resume chopping.
12. Upon bringing them home, where does Billy intend for the puppies to sleep?
(a) In his sisters' beds.
(b) In his bed.
(c) In the family's yard.
(d) In the doghouse he constructs.
13. What item does Billy need to train the dogs as trackers?
(b) A raccoon.
(c) A whistle.
(d) A coon skin.
14. What prevents Billy's parents from buying him the puppies he wants?
(a) They are not available in the area they live in.
(b) They do not believe he will take care of them.
(c) They cannot afford them.
(d) They do not want to have pets.
15. What does Billy use as a piggy bank?
(a) An old baking powder can.
(b) An old sock.
(c) A jar.
(d) An old soda can.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Billy seemingly randomly ask his family that shocks and entertains them in Chapter 4?
2. Which of the following is NOT a realization Billy comes to upon returning home with the puppies?
3. How long does it take Billy to catch his first raccoon in the traps?
4. How does Billy help his father in Chapter 3?
5. How does the dog in Chapter 1 show the unnamed man he is feeling better?
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)