|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Old Dan do when Little Ann cuts her paw?
(a) He stays with her rather than going hunting alone with Billy.
(b) He nurses her back to health.
(c) He fights the animal who hurt Little Ann.
(d) He leaves her to be cared for by Billy's sisters.
2. What does Billy do to gather strength when he believes he can no longer chop the tree down?
(a) He asks his father for help.
(b) He looks at the faces of his two dogs.
(c) He prays to God for strength.
(d) He rests and eats a hot meal.
3. How many traps does Billy set up near the river in Chapter 7?
4. What does the individual who visits Billy in the afternoon after his pups have treed their first raccoon bring him?
(a) A new ax blade.
(b) Fresh clothes.
(d) Lunch and a meal for the dogs.
5. Why does the unnamed man in Chapter 1 leave his gate open?
(a) To welcome visitors.
(b) To allow other dogs to take refuge in his yard.
(c) In case the dog returns.
(d) To allow the dog to roam freely.
6. How does Billy's grandfather help him get the item he needs to train the dogs as trackers?
(a) He gives Billy one he had from when he was a boy.
(b) He gives Billy hunting traps to use.
(c) He purchases one for Billy from a local hunter.
(d) He teaches Billy how to create a trap using a log, nails and a piece of tin.
7. What impresses the Tahlequah marshal about Billy?
(a) His self-assured attitude.
(b) His willingness to stick up for his puppies.
(c) His interest in hunting.
(d) His willingness to work hard to purchase the puppies.
8. Who does the unnamed man in Chapter 1 notice fighting as he walks home?
(a) Two boys.
(b) A man and a woman.
9. Where do Billy and the puppies stop to rest on their journey home from Tahlequah?
(a) At his grandfather's store.
(b) The abandoned campsite where he found the magazine.
(c) Alongside the river.
(d) In a town outside of the Ozark Mountains.
10. Which of the following is NOT something Billy's grandfather agrees to do to help the boy purchase the puppies?
(a) Contact the kennel to make sure they are still in business.
(b) Lend Billy the money to purchase the puppies.
(c) Keep Billy's plan to purchase the puppies a secret.
(d) Place the order for the dogs.
11. Which of the following words best characterizes Billy in Chapter 8?
12. Why does Billy feel badly for scolding Little Ann when they return to the sycamore tree in Chapter 9?
(a) He realizes she is responsible for finding the coon.
(b) She is the more sensitive of the two dogs.
(c) He sees that she also returned to the tree during the night.
(d) She looks sad and despondent.
13. Why does Billy become concerned when the Tahlequah marshal breaks up the fight?
(a) He thinks the marshal will arrest him.
(b) He is afraid the marshal will put him in jail for fighting.
(c) He thinks the marshal will also hit him.
(d) He is afraid the marshal will confiscate the puppies.
14. What does Billy do with the money he earns from hunting?
(a) He gives it to his mother.
(b) He pays off his debts to his grandfather.
(c) He gives it to his father.
(d) He spends it on hunting supplies.
15. Why does Billy decide to chop down the tree in Chapter 8 that the dogs have treed their first raccoon in?
(a) He is desperate to catch his first raccoon.
(b) He is self assured and confident.
(c) The tree is in the way of the raccoon.
(d) The dogs will not leave the raccoon they have trapped in the tree.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Billy notice about the size of the puppies in Chapter 5?
2. Why does Billy decide to walk to Tahlequah?
3. What happens to Old Dan when he follows a raccoon under water during a hunt?
4. How long does it take Billy to catch his first raccoon in the traps?
5. Why does Billy's grandfather believe the price of coonskins will increase?
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)