|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Papa instruct Billy to do to his traps once he has caught his first raccoon?
(a) Take the traps apart and only use the pups to hunt.
(b) Move the traps to the house to save for later.
(c) Move his traps to another location.
(d) Take the traps apart and never hunt again.
2. What does Billy see for the first time in the general store window in Chapter 4?
(a) A pair of shoes.
(b) A buggy.
(c) His puppies.
(d) A double-barreled gun.
3. What does the dog's presence in Chapter 1 awaken in the unnamed man?
(a) Childhood memories of his two dogs.
(b) A long forgotten fondness for animals.
(c) Childhood memories of his cats.
(d) Feelings of loneliness.
4. How much money does Billy need to earn to purchase two hound puppies?
5. Why does Billy's mother punish him in Chapter 7?
(a) For taking a tin can from the junk pile without permission.
(b) For going hunting without permission.
(c) For leaving to pick up the puppies without telling her.
(d) For using her good scissors to cut a tin can.
6. What does Billy use as a piggy bank?
(a) A jar.
(b) An old baking powder can.
(c) An old soda can.
(d) An old sock.
7. How does Billy's grandfather help him get the item he needs to train the dogs as trackers?
(a) He gives Billy one he had from when he was a boy.
(b) He gives Billy hunting traps to use.
(c) He purchases one for Billy from a local hunter.
(d) He teaches Billy how to create a trap using a log, nails and a piece of tin.
8. What does Billy trap in his new hunting traps in Chapter 2?
(a) Several raccoons.
(b) Samie, the pet cat.
(d) A deer.
9. Which of the following words best characterizes Billy's reaction to the Tahlequah townspeople's comments about his appearance?
10. After purchasing the puppies, who does Billy credit with his good fortune in Chapter 6?
(a) His grandfather.
(c) His father.
11. Why does Billy's grandfather believe the price of coonskins will increase?
(a) Coonskin coats have become popular.
(b) Coonskins are becoming more rare.
(c) There are less hunters than there were before.
(d) Coonskin hats have become popular.
12. What prevents Billy's parents from buying him the puppies he wants?
(a) They do not believe he will take care of them.
(b) They are not available in the area they live in.
(c) They do not want to have pets.
(d) They cannot afford them.
13. What does the unnamed man in Chapter 1 remove from his mantle while sitting by the fire?
(a) A silver cup and a gold cup.
(b) A photograph of his dogs.
(c) A book.
(d) A silver medal and a gold medal.
14. Which of the following is NOT an attribute that the unnamed man in Chapter 1 notices when examining the dog?
(a) He has unusual markings.
(b) He looks malnourished.
(c) His paws are worn.
(d) He is muddy.
15. What does Billy seemingly randomly ask his family that shocks and entertains them in Chapter 4?
(a) How far it is to Kentucky.
(b) When he can get his puppies.
(c) For a haircut.
(d) For a ride to Kentucky.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Billy think the sycamore tree falling is an example of divine intervention?
2. Who does the unnamed man in Chapter 1 notice fighting as he walks home?
3. Why does Billy decide to chop down the tree in Chapter 8 that the dogs have treed their first raccoon in?
4. How many traps does Billy set up near the river in Chapter 7?
5. How does Billy first react when he sees the puppies?
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)