|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Billy do each morning when he returns home from hunting?
(a) Goes to work in the fields with his father.
(b) Helps his mother with chores.
(c) Cares for the dogs' feet.
(d) Eats breakfast and goes to bed.
2. Why does Old Dan not want to get into Billy's grandfather's buggy in Chapter 9?
(a) He does not want to leave the coon in the tree.
(b) He is afraid of the buggy.
(c) He does not want to leave Little Ann.
(d) He is not tired and hungry.
3. Why does Old Dan leave Billy's home during the night in Chapter 9?
(a) To find Little Ann.
(b) To track another coon.
(c) To swim in the river.
(d) To return to the tree where the coon is.
4. What problem does Billy face when the dogs finally tree a raccoon?
(a) The tree it is in is the largest in the area.
(b) He is not sure what to do with the dogs while he gets the raccoon out.
(c) The raccoon jumps out of the tree.
(d) He has forgotten his ax.
5. Why does Billy become concerned when the Tahlequah marshal breaks up the fight?
(a) He thinks the marshal will arrest him.
(b) He thinks the marshal will also hit him.
(c) He is afraid the marshal will confiscate the puppies.
(d) He is afraid the marshal will put him in jail for fighting.
6. Based on the unnamed man's actions at the end of Chapter 1, what is likely to be the focus of the Chapter 2?
(a) The man's search for the redbone hound.
(b) A flashback to the man's childhood.
(c) The man's daily routine.
(d) A flashback to the man's marriage.
7. What does the dog's presence in Chapter 1 awaken in the unnamed man?
(a) Childhood memories of his two dogs.
(b) Childhood memories of his cats.
(c) A long forgotten fondness for animals.
(d) Feelings of loneliness.
8. Who arrives to check on Billy in Chapter 8 when he has not returned home from hunting by morning?
(b) Billy's grandfather.
(c) Billy's oldest sister.
9. What does Billy decide to name the puppies?
(a) Billy and Megan.
(b) Daniel and Annabelle.
(c) Dan and Ann.
(d) Boy and Girl.
10. How does Billy's grandfather help him get the item he needs to train the dogs as trackers?
(a) He purchases one for Billy from a local hunter.
(b) He gives Billy one he had from when he was a boy.
(c) He gives Billy hunting traps to use.
(d) He teaches Billy how to create a trap using a log, nails and a piece of tin.
11. Why does Billy try to get the dogs to stay at home when he takes hides to his grandfather's store?
(a) Billy's grandfather does not like dogs.
(b) The dogs are not allowed inside the store.
(c) There are other dogs there that try to fight with Old Dan and Little Ann.
(d) The dogs always want treats from the store.
12. What prevents Billy's parents from buying him the puppies he wants?
(a) They are not available in the area they live in.
(b) They cannot afford them.
(c) They do not want to have pets.
(d) They do not believe he will take care of them.
13. Which of the following words best characterizes Billy's reaction to the Tahlequah townspeople's comments about his appearance?
14. What happens to Old Dan when he follows a raccoon under water during a hunt?
(a) He becomes caught in a muskrat den.
(b) He demonstrates his strength and bravery.
(c) He becomes caught in a beaver dam.
(d) He nearly drowns because he cannot swim well.
15. What is significant about what Billy finds at the campsite?
(a) It contains an ad for hound puppies.
(b) It contains valuable hunting tips.
(c) It is outdated.
(d) It contains an article about hound puppies.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Billy's grandfather believe the price of coonskins will increase?
2. How does the boy dog demonstrate his courage in this chapter?
3. Which of the following words best characterizes Billy in Chapter 8?
4. How did Billy's father discover he had traveled to Tahlequah to pick up the puppies?
5. What type of dog is being attacked by the other dogs in Chapter 1?
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)