|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Billy's sister react to his plan to cut down "The Big Tree"?
(a) She is angry at him for worrying Mama.
(b) She is confident he can accomplish the task.
(c) She thinks he is crazy.
(d) She admires him.
2. After purchasing the puppies, who does Billy credit with his good fortune in Chapter 6?
(b) His grandfather.
(c) His father.
3. What is unique about the area that Billy's family lives in when he is young?
(a) It is isolated and rural.
(b) It is near a river.
(c) It is remote.
(d) It is the best hunting land in the country.
4. How old is Billy when his first hunting season opens?
5. Why does Old Dan leave Billy's home during the night in Chapter 9?
(a) To return to the tree where the coon is.
(b) To find Little Ann.
(c) To track another coon.
(d) To swim in the river.
6. What does Billy tell his mother is the reason why he was able to get the puppies?
(a) God answered his prayer.
(b) He borrowed money from his grandfather.
(c) He earned the money over three summers.
(d) His grandfather surprised him with the puppies.
7. In Chapter 5, what does Billy see the train stationmaster doing that gives him the courage to enter the depot?
(a) Talking to another child.
(b) Caring for his canary.
(d) Putting the puppies.
8. Why does Billy decide to chop down the tree in Chapter 8 that the dogs have treed their first raccoon in?
(a) He is self assured and confident.
(b) The dogs will not leave the raccoon they have trapped in the tree.
(c) The tree is in the way of the raccoon.
(d) He is desperate to catch his first raccoon.
9. What does Billy do to gather strength when he believes he can no longer chop the tree down?
(a) He looks at the faces of his two dogs.
(b) He prays to God for strength.
(c) He rests and eats a hot meal.
(d) He asks his father for help.
10. Why does Billy run away from home?
(a) His parents deny him hound puppies for a second time.
(b) To pursue a career as a hunter.
(c) To go purchase two hound puppies.
(d) His sisters tease him relentlessly about wanting puppies.
11. What does the Tahlequah schoolboy do that leads Billy to hit him in Chapter 5?
(a) The boy pulls the ears of one of the puppies.
(b) The boy tries to steal the puppies.
(c) The boy steps on Billy's bare foot with his cowboy boot.
(d) The boy makes fun of Billy's appearance.
12. How does Billy react to the town of Tahlequah?
(a) He is confused.
(b) He is excited.
(c) He is overwhelmed.
(d) He is frightened.
13. What happens to Billy when he tries to join in with the activity the children at the playground in Tahlequah are participating in?
(a) He splatters on to the ground.
(b) The children laugh at him.
(c) He is too frightened to slide down.
(d) He gets caught on the pipe.
14. At the age of ten, what does Billy desperately want to have?
(a) A dog.
(b) A brother.
(c) A gun.
(d) Two dogs.
15. What does Billy notice about the size of the puppies in Chapter 5?
(a) The male dog is larger than the female dog.
(b) Both dogs are larger than he expected.
(c) The female dog is larger than the male dog.
(d) Both of the dogs are smaller than he expected.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the unnamed man assume the dog in Chapter 1 lives?
2. How does Billy react in Chapter 6 when he discovers his mother's concern for his absence?
3. What does Billy observe the boys at the playground in Tahlequah doing that he wants to try for himself?
4. What does Billy find at the abandoned campsite?
5. Why do the children at the playground in Tahlequah make fun of Billy?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)