|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do Billy and the puppies stop to rest on their journey home from Tahlequah?
(a) At his grandfather's store.
(b) The abandoned campsite where he found the magazine.
(c) Alongside the river.
(d) In a town outside of the Ozark Mountains.
2. What does Billy's father suggest he do in the morning after his pups have treed their first raccoon?
(a) Go home and have some breakfast while Papa continues chopping the tree.
(b) Give up and look for another raccoon.
(c) Take a nap then resume chopping.
(d) Go home to rest and return later in the day to finish chopping the tree.
3. What does the dog's presence in Chapter 1 awaken in the unnamed man?
(a) Feelings of loneliness.
(b) Childhood memories of his cats.
(c) A long forgotten fondness for animals.
(d) Childhood memories of his two dogs.
4. What does Old Dan do when Little Ann cuts her paw?
(a) He nurses her back to health.
(b) He leaves her to be cared for by Billy's sisters.
(c) He stays with her rather than going hunting alone with Billy.
(d) He fights the animal who hurt Little Ann.
5. Why does Old Dan not want to get into Billy's grandfather's buggy in Chapter 9?
(a) He does not want to leave the coon in the tree.
(b) He is not tired and hungry.
(c) He does not want to leave Little Ann.
(d) He is afraid of the buggy.
6. How much money does Billy need to earn to purchase two hound puppies?
7. What does Billy notice about the size of the puppies in Chapter 5?
(a) Both of the dogs are smaller than he expected.
(b) The male dog is larger than the female dog.
(c) Both dogs are larger than he expected.
(d) The female dog is larger than the male dog.
8. At the age of ten, what does Billy desperately want to have?
(a) A brother.
(b) A gun.
(c) Two dogs.
(d) A dog.
9. What prevents Billy's parents from buying him the puppies he wants?
(a) They do not believe he will take care of them.
(b) They do not want to have pets.
(c) They are not available in the area they live in.
(d) They cannot afford them.
10. How does Billy react when the women in Tahlequah criticize him while walking through town with his puppies?
(a) He makes fun of the feathers in their hats.
(b) He gets into a fight with the women.
(c) He begins crying.
(d) He ignores their comments.
11. Which of the following is NOT one of the items Billy purchases with his final $10 in Chapter 4?
(a) Shoes for himself.
(b) Overalls for his father.
(c) A bag of candy.
(d) Cloth for his mother and sisters.
12. What does Billy do each morning when he returns home from hunting?
(a) Goes to work in the fields with his father.
(b) Eats breakfast and goes to bed.
(c) Cares for the dogs' feet.
(d) Helps his mother with chores.
13. Why does Billy become concerned when the Tahlequah marshal breaks up the fight?
(a) He thinks the marshal will also hit him.
(b) He is afraid the marshal will put him in jail for fighting.
(c) He is afraid the marshal will confiscate the puppies.
(d) He thinks the marshal will arrest him.
14. Which of the following is NOT something Billy's grandfather agrees to do to help the boy purchase the puppies?
(a) Lend Billy the money to purchase the puppies.
(b) Keep Billy's plan to purchase the puppies a secret.
(c) Contact the kennel to make sure they are still in business.
(d) Place the order for the dogs.
15. What does Billy discover about the dogs when he wakes in the morning in Chapter 9?
(a) The dogs are more determined than he is.
(b) Old Dan is missing.
(c) The dogs are as tired as he is.
(d) Little Ann is missing.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Billy react to the town of Tahlequah?
2. How does Billy characterize Tahlequah when talking with his father in Chapter 6?
3. What item does Billy need to train the dogs as trackers?
4. What happens to Dan when he and the raccoon fight?
5. What does Billy's grandfather tell him that raccoons cannot resist?
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)