|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do Billy and the puppies stop to rest on their journey home from Tahlequah?
(a) Alongside the river.
(b) In a town outside of the Ozark Mountains.
(c) At his grandfather's store.
(d) The abandoned campsite where he found the magazine.
2. Why does Billy decide to chop down the tree in Chapter 8 that the dogs have treed their first raccoon in?
(a) He is self assured and confident.
(b) The tree is in the way of the raccoon.
(c) The dogs will not leave the raccoon they have trapped in the tree.
(d) He is desperate to catch his first raccoon.
3. Which of the following phrases does NOT characterize Little Ann?
(a) Old Dan's protector.
(b) Mama's helper.
(c) Extremely intelligent.
(d) Sweet and loving.
4. Who does the unnamed man in Chapter 1 notice fighting as he walks home?
(b) A man and a woman.
(d) Two boys.
5. What happens to Old Dan when he follows a raccoon under water during a hunt?
(a) He becomes caught in a beaver dam.
(b) He becomes caught in a muskrat den.
(c) He demonstrates his strength and bravery.
(d) He nearly drowns because he cannot swim well.
6. How does Billy plan on paying his grandfather for the bag of candy he gets from his store?
(a) By working in his grandfather's store.
(b) With the earnings from the sale of his first coonskin.
(c) With the money he has saved.
(d) With money he got for his birthday.
7. What impresses the Tahlequah marshal about Billy?
(a) His willingness to stick up for his puppies.
(b) His willingness to work hard to purchase the puppies.
(c) His self-assured attitude.
(d) His interest in hunting.
8. Why does Billy become concerned when the Tahlequah marshal breaks up the fight?
(a) He is afraid the marshal will put him in jail for fighting.
(b) He is afraid the marshal will confiscate the puppies.
(c) He thinks the marshal will also hit him.
(d) He thinks the marshal will arrest him.
9. Why does Billy's mother punish him in Chapter 7?
(a) For taking a tin can from the junk pile without permission.
(b) For using her good scissors to cut a tin can.
(c) For leaving to pick up the puppies without telling her.
(d) For going hunting without permission.
10. What does the unnamed man in Chapter 1 remove from his mantle while sitting by the fire?
(a) A silver medal and a gold medal.
(b) A silver cup and a gold cup.
(c) A photograph of his dogs.
(d) A book.
11. What type of dog is being attacked by the other dogs in Chapter 1?
(a) A retriever.
(b) A bloodhound.
(c) A redbone hound dog.
(d) An Irish setter.
12. What does Billy do to gather strength when he believes he can no longer chop the tree down?
(a) He looks at the faces of his two dogs.
(b) He prays to God for strength.
(c) He rests and eats a hot meal.
(d) He asks his father for help.
13. What does Billy's grandfather suggest in Chapter 9 the boy do to keep the coon in the tree while he goes home to rest?
(a) Take the dogs home with him.
(b) Command the dogs to lie down at the base of the tree.
(c) Tie the dogs to the tree.
(d) Construct and place a scarecrow at the base of the tree.
14. Why does Billy decide to walk to Tahlequah?
(a) He doesn't want to inconvenience his grandfather.
(b) He wants to inspect the puppies.
(c) He doesn't have the heart to tell his father about the puppies.
(d) He cannot stand to wait a week to pick up the puppies.
15. How does Billy react in Chapter 6 when he discovers his mother's concern for his absence?
(a) He feels guilty and sad.
(b) He buries his head in her lap and cries.
(c) He is angry that his grandfather told his parents where he was.
(d) He is oblivious to her concern.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Billy's family live when he is ten?
2. Where does the unnamed man assume the dog in Chapter 1 lives?
3. What fear must Billy help the puppies overcome?
4. How did Billy's father discover he had traveled to Tahlequah to pick up the puppies?
5. How does Billy characterize Tahlequah when talking with his father in Chapter 6?
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)