|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Old Dan when he follows a raccoon under water during a hunt?
(a) He becomes caught in a muskrat den.
(b) He demonstrates his strength and bravery.
(c) He becomes caught in a beaver dam.
(d) He nearly drowns because he cannot swim well.
2. How does Billy characterize the female puppy in Chapter 5?
(a) As docile.
(b) As smart.
(c) As courageous.
(d) As weak.
3. Why does Billy become disillusioned with his new hunting traps?
(a) He is unable to catch a raccoon.
(b) He doesn't know how to operate them properly.
(c) They break easily.
(d) They are not appropriate for catching raccoons.
4. Which of the following words best characterizes Billy's reaction to the Tahlequah townspeople's comments about his appearance?
5. What does Billy do with the money he earns from hunting?
(a) He spends it on hunting supplies.
(b) He gives it to his mother.
(c) He gives it to his father.
(d) He pays off his debts to his grandfather.
6. Why does Old Dan not want to get into Billy's grandfather's buggy in Chapter 9?
(a) He is afraid of the buggy.
(b) He does not want to leave the coon in the tree.
(c) He is not tired and hungry.
(d) He does not want to leave Little Ann.
7. What does the Tahlequah schoolboy do that leads Billy to hit him in Chapter 5?
(a) The boy steps on Billy's bare foot with his cowboy boot.
(b) The boy makes fun of Billy's appearance.
(c) The boy pulls the ears of one of the puppies.
(d) The boy tries to steal the puppies.
8. What does Old Dan do when Little Ann cuts her paw?
(a) He stays with her rather than going hunting alone with Billy.
(b) He fights the animal who hurt Little Ann.
(c) He leaves her to be cared for by Billy's sisters.
(d) He nurses her back to health.
9. What does the individual who visits Billy in the afternoon after his pups have treed their first raccoon bring him?
(a) Fresh clothes.
(b) Lunch and a meal for the dogs.
(c) A new ax blade.
10. What prevents Billy's parents from buying him the puppies he wants?
(a) They do not want to have pets.
(b) They do not believe he will take care of them.
(c) They cannot afford them.
(d) They are not available in the area they live in.
11. Why does Billy try to get the dogs to stay at home when he takes hides to his grandfather's store?
(a) The dogs are not allowed inside the store.
(b) The dogs always want treats from the store.
(c) Billy's grandfather does not like dogs.
(d) There are other dogs there that try to fight with Old Dan and Little Ann.
12. What does the unnamed man in Chapter 1 remove from his mantle while sitting by the fire?
(a) A book.
(b) A silver medal and a gold medal.
(c) A silver cup and a gold cup.
(d) A photograph of his dogs.
13. Why does Billy's grandfather believe the price of coonskins will increase?
(a) Coonskin coats have become popular.
(b) There are less hunters than there were before.
(c) Coonskin hats have become popular.
(d) Coonskins are becoming more rare.
14. What type of dog is being attacked by the other dogs in Chapter 1?
(a) A retriever.
(b) An Irish setter.
(c) A bloodhound.
(d) A redbone hound dog.
15. Why does Billy apologize to the sycamore tree?
(a) He is ambivalent about hunting.
(b) He believes God destroyed it for him.
(c) He had to destroy it to honor his promise to the dogs.
(d) He injured it severely by chopping it, yet was unable to chop it down.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Billy tell his mother is the reason why he was able to get the puppies?
2. How does Billy's overwhelming desire for hound puppies affect him physically?
3. What does Papa instruct Billy to do to his traps once he has caught his first raccoon?
4. Why does Billy decide to walk to Tahlequah?
5. What does Billy observe the boys at the playground in Tahlequah doing that he wants to try for himself?
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)