|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Papa instruct Billy to do to his traps once he has caught his first raccoon?
(a) Take the traps apart and only use the pups to hunt.
(b) Move the traps to the house to save for later.
(c) Move his traps to another location.
(d) Take the traps apart and never hunt again.
2. In Chapter 5, what does Billy see the train stationmaster doing that gives him the courage to enter the depot?
(a) Talking to another child.
(b) Putting the puppies.
(d) Caring for his canary.
3. How does Billy's overwhelming desire for hound puppies affect him physically?
(a) He stops speaking.
(b) He is unable to complete his chores.
(c) He loses his appetite.
(d) He becomes angry and violent.
4. What does the Tahlequah marshal give Billy before he leaves Tahlequah?
(b) A soda.
(c) A ride to the main road.
(d) A pair of shoes.
5. What does Billy tell his mother is the reason why he was able to get the puppies?
(a) God answered his prayer.
(b) He borrowed money from his grandfather.
(c) His grandfather surprised him with the puppies.
(d) He earned the money over three summers.
6. Based on the unnamed man's actions at the end of Chapter 1, what is likely to be the focus of the Chapter 2?
(a) The man's daily routine.
(b) The man's search for the redbone hound.
(c) A flashback to the man's marriage.
(d) A flashback to the man's childhood.
7. Who helps Billy train the puppies?
(a) His youngest sister.
(c) Billy's grandfather.
(d) His older sister.
8. What does Billy do to gather strength when he believes he can no longer chop the tree down?
(a) He rests and eats a hot meal.
(b) He looks at the faces of his two dogs.
(c) He prays to God for strength.
(d) He asks his father for help.
9. Why does Billy choose the particular names for the puppies that he does?
(a) He saw them in an old sportsman's magazine.
(b) He sees them carved on a tree at the campsite where he found the sportsman's magazine.
(c) His sisters choose the names.
(d) They are his grandparents' names.
10. Why does Old Dan run up a hollow tree during a hunt?
(a) To follow the scent of a raccoon.
(b) To get a better view of the raccoon running away.
(c) To chase a raccoon that is in the tree.
(d) To chase Little Ann.
11. Why does Billy's mother punish him in Chapter 7?
(a) For using her good scissors to cut a tin can.
(b) For taking a tin can from the junk pile without permission.
(c) For going hunting without permission.
(d) For leaving to pick up the puppies without telling her.
12. Which of the following phrases does NOT characterize Little Ann?
(a) Mama's helper.
(b) Extremely intelligent.
(c) Sweet and loving.
(d) Old Dan's protector.
13. How does the woman watching Billy play in the playground in Tahlequah react to what happens to Billy?
(a) She reports him to the school principal.
(b) She laughs at him.
(c) She is disgusted by his appearance.
(d) She rushes over to help him.
14. Why does Billy try to get the dogs to stay at home when he takes hides to his grandfather's store?
(a) The dogs are not allowed inside the store.
(b) There are other dogs there that try to fight with Old Dan and Little Ann.
(c) Billy's grandfather does not like dogs.
(d) The dogs always want treats from the store.
15. What does Mama make out of Billy's first coonskin?
(a) A hat.
(b) A blanket.
(c) A coat.
(d) A rucksack.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Billy when his first hunting season opens?
2. What does Billy's grandfather tell Billy he will need to have to finish cutting down the tree?
3. Where will Billy need to pick up his puppies?
4. What event helps Mama understand why Billy is determined to cut down "The Big Tree"?
5. What does Billy do with the money he earns from hunting?
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)