|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Minli go to find help for Dragon's wounds in Chapter 29?
2. Who was among the wounded when the villagers went to try and fight off the Green Tiger in The Story of the Green Tiger and the Tea?
3. How long ago had the ancestors of the Village of the Moon Rain came to settle the area?
4. What does A-Fu say the Green Tiger's teeth and claws are in Chapter 32?
5. Who tended to A-Fu's grandfather after he was injured by the Green Tiger?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where do A-Fu and Da-Fu take Minli in Chapter 34? What story is related along the way?
2. What did Heavenly Grandfather dictate in Ba's story in Chapter 40? What was born in the tale?
3. What does Minli tell Dragon when she returns from the moon? How does Dragon regain the ability to fly?
4. What does A-Gong do to help Dragon in Chapter 33? What does he tell Minli?
5. Describe the Story of Da-A-Fu's Ancestors. Who were the ancestors from another story in the narrative?
6. Where does Minli sneak out of in Chapter 26? Who does she go see?
7. Describe the character of Wu Kang. What was Wu Kang's conflict?
8. Who awakens Minli in Chapter 37? How do the villagers react to Dragon?
9. What happens when the Tiger leaps at Minli in Chapter 29? Who is injured?
10. What does Minli build a kite from in Chapter 39? What does it become?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the narrative voice and tense of the novel. In what person is Where the Mountain Meets the Moon written? Is it in present tense or past tense? How does this affect the story?
Essay Topic 2
Where is the setting at the beginning of Where the Mountain Meets the Moon? In what country does the narrative take place? Is there an indication of the time period? How is Minli's village described?
Essay Topic 3
Define the term "protagonist" and how this role relates to Minli in the narrative. What is Minli's quest? How does she go about beginning her journey?
This section contains 923 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)