|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the girl urge Christopher to go?
2. Why can the police not send someone with Christopher to the blind man's house?
3. How does Kung respond when Christopher identifies himself as a long time fan?
4. Where does Christopher find Inspector Kung?
5. How is the girl's Chinese?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when the lieutenant tells Christopher that they must wait before continuing to Yeh Chen's house?
2. What is Jennifer's proposal for herself and Christopher?
3. What does Christopher do after he is certain he and Akira have not been pursued?
4. Describe Christopher and Akira's entry into Yeh Chen's house.
5. At Christopher's welcome party, what is the crowd's response to the explosion heard outside?
6. What does Uncle Philip offer Christopher at the end of their meeting?
7. What happens at the consulate when Christopher asks to meet with Mr. MacDonald?
8. Describe Christopher's encounter with Sarah and Sir Cecil at the Lucky Chance Club.
9. How does Christopher feel about his reunion with Akira?
10. What vital clue does Kung reveal to Christopher?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is Sir Cecil Medhurst? What does he represent to Christopher? How does his demise change the direction of Christopher Bank's future?
Essay Topic 2
What role does detection play in WHEN WE WERE ORPHANS? What inherent qualities in Christopher's character do you think lead him to this career choice? How do his family circumstances shape him as a detective?
Essay Topic 3
What role does the opium trade play in the novel? How does it create conflict? How does it develop characters? How does it drive the story?
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)