|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Christopher know when he has found the blind man's house?
2. What does Christopher apologize to Jennifer for?
3. What are the date and location of Part IV?
4. What killings does Christopher ask MacDonald about?
5. What is Morgan's manner like when he and Christopher meet?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Uncle Philip offer Christopher at the end of their meeting?
2. Describe Christopher's reunion with his mother.
3. What odd habit does Christopher observe in the people of Shanghai?
4. What happens to Christopher as he is finishing his lunch on the day he is to leave for Macao?
5. What does Uncle Philip say happened to Christopher's parents?
6. Describe Christopher and Akira's entry into Yeh Chen's house.
7. What happens at the consulate when Christopher asks to meet with Mr. MacDonald?
8. What vital clue does Kung reveal to Christopher?
9. What does Christopher do after he is certain he and Akira have not been pursued?
10. Describe Christopher's return to his childhood home.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
WHEN WE WERE ORPHANS is written in first person. Why is this the most effective choice for Ishiguro's purposes? Discuss the impact of first person on character and story development.
Essay Topic 2
What role does the opium trade play in the novel? How does it create conflict? How does it develop characters? How does it drive the story?
Essay Topic 3
It is a mixed blessing when Christopher finds his mother and discovers what happened to his father. Why? What does Christopher gain? What is taken away? How is he transformed?
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)