|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Christopher's escort leave him?
2. What does Sarah say is all part of what Shanghai's all about?
3. What are the date and location of Part IV?
4. Who finally agrees to escort Christopher?
5. How does Christopher know when he has found the blind man's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What vital clue does Kung reveal to Christopher?
2. What does Christopher learn about Inspector Kung from Morgan?
3. How does Christopher spend his afternoon before meeting up with Sarah and Sir Cecil at the Lucky Chance Club?
4. What happens to Christopher as he is finishing his lunch on the day he is to leave for Macao?
5. What does Christopher do after he is certain he and Akira have not been pursued?
6. Describe the Inn of Morning Happiness.
7. Describe Christopher's encounter with Sarah and Sir Cecil at the Lucky Chance Club.
8. Describe Christopher and Akira's entry into Yeh Chen's house.
9. Describe Christopher's return to his childhood home.
10. What is Jennifer's proposal for herself and Christopher?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is Jennifer's role in the story? What does she represent for Christopher? Why is Christopher so eager to adopt her?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of memory in the novel. What does Christopher say about his own memory? How does what Christopher remembers develop his character?
Essay Topic 3
What role does the advent of World War II play in the novel? How does the shape of world events parallel events in Christopher's life?
This section contains 847 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)