|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What killings does Christopher ask MacDonald about?
2. What kind of music does the French pianist play?
3. What case does Christopher ask Kung about?
4. Where do Morgan and Christopher go?
5. How does Christopher's morning meeting with MacDonald go?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Christopher's encounter with Sarah and Sir Cecil at the Lucky Chance Club.
2. How does Christopher feel about his reunion with Akira?
3. What odd habit does Christopher observe in the people of Shanghai?
4. What happens to Christopher as he is finishing his lunch on the day he is to leave for Macao?
5. Describe Christopher's return to his childhood home.
6. How is Christopher treated at the police station?
7. What does Christopher learn about Inspector Kung from Morgan?
8. What vital clue does Kung reveal to Christopher?
9. What happens when the lieutenant tells Christopher that they must wait before continuing to Yeh Chen's house?
10. What is Jennifer's proposal for herself and Christopher?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In chapter sixteen, Sarah urges Christopher to run away with her to Macao. What does Macao represent? Why is Macao particularly enticing to Christopher when Sarah asks him? On an emotional level, what prevents Christopher from making it there?
Essay Topic 2
What is Jennifer's role in the story? What does she represent for Christopher? Why is Christopher so eager to adopt her?
Essay Topic 3
The motif of the outsider is featured in WHEN WE WERE ORPHANS. Choose three scenes from the novel where Ishiguro uses this motif to advance the plot and develop characters. How is this done?
This section contains 845 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)