|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Christopher's mother when he finds her?
2. Who does Yellow Snake turn out to be?
3. What becomes of Inspector Kung?
4. How is Christopher greeted at the police station?
5. What does Christopher tell Jennifer about his love life?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Uncle Philip say happened to Christopher's parents?
2. How is Christopher treated at the police station?
3. What vital clue does Kung reveal to Christopher?
4. What is Jennifer's proposal for herself and Christopher?
5. Describe Christopher's encounter with Sarah and Sir Cecil at the Lucky Chance Club.
6. What odd habit does Christopher observe in the people of Shanghai?
7. How does the man driving Christopher to meet Sarah prove to be very useful?
8. At Christopher's welcome party, what is the crowd's response to the explosion heard outside?
9. Describe Christopher's return to his childhood home.
10. What happens at the consulate when Christopher asks to meet with Mr. MacDonald?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does the opium trade play in the novel? How does it create conflict? How does it develop characters? How does it drive the story?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay exploring the development of Christopher Banks. What is the reader led to believe about him at first? What things does Christopher say that encourage the reader to look at him differently? Is he a reliable narrator? How much more does the reader know about Christopher at the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Choose three examples of Christopher's perception of himself clashing with others' perception of him. What is the effect of this perception gap? Why do you think Ishiguro uses this device?
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)