|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the truth about Christopher's mother?
2. What makes it difficult to recognize Uncle Philip when Christopher reunites with him?
3. What becomes of Inspector Kung?
4. Why can the police not send someone with Christopher to the blind man's house?
5. Where do Morgan and Christopher go?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Christopher's encounter with Sarah and Sir Cecil at the Lucky Chance Club.
2. What does Uncle Philip offer Christopher at the end of their meeting?
3. What happens to Christopher as he is finishing his lunch on the day he is to leave for Macao?
4. How does Christopher feel about his reunion with Akira?
5. What is Jennifer's proposal for herself and Christopher?
6. What does Christopher do after he is certain he and Akira have not been pursued?
7. What happens when the lieutenant tells Christopher that they must wait before continuing to Yeh Chen's house?
8. What does Uncle Philip say happened to Christopher's parents?
9. Describe Christopher's return to his childhood home.
10. Describe Christopher and Akira's entry into Yeh Chen's house.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is Sarah Hemmings' role in the novel? What does she represent for Christopher? At the end of the novel, Christopher wonders how her life has turned out. What do you think based on what we know about her?
Essay Topic 2
By the end of the novel the reader has traveled with Christopher backwards and forwards in time and from Shanghai to London and back. Starting at the earliest point in time, describe Christopher's journey? Make sure your account has a beginning, middle and end. Having put the story in chronological order, do you understand anything new about the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of memory in the novel. What does Christopher say about his own memory? How does what Christopher remembers develop his character?
This section contains 900 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)