|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the cause of the explosion that rocks the ball room while Grayson and Christopher are speaking?
2. What ceremony does Mr. Grayson claim to be in charge of?
3. How is Christopher's mother when he finds her?
4. What does Kung remember about the house his men could not gain entry to?
5. What does his escort do when Christopher is disrespectful to him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Uncle Philip say happened to Christopher's parents?
2. Describe Christopher and Akira's entry into Yeh Chen's house.
3. What happens to Christopher as he is finishing his lunch on the day he is to leave for Macao?
4. How does Christopher feel about his reunion with Akira?
5. How is Christopher treated at the police station?
6. Describe Christopher's reunion with his mother.
7. What happens when the lieutenant tells Christopher that they must wait before continuing to Yeh Chen's house?
8. How does Christopher spend his afternoon before meeting up with Sarah and Sir Cecil at the Lucky Chance Club?
9. What does Christopher do after he is certain he and Akira have not been pursued?
10. Describe Christopher's return to his childhood home.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As a child Christopher revered the great Inspector Kung. As a grown man Christopher meets the Inspector and discovers he has become a disheveled old drunk. How is this a turning point for Christopher? How is Christopher's meeting with Kung a warning to him? How does it drive him forward?
Essay Topic 2
Social distinctions play a prominent role in WHEN WE WERE ORPHANS. Discuss how Ishiguro uses social distinctions to advance the plot and to define relationships between characters. Use examples from Shanghai and Britain.
Essay Topic 3
What role does the opium trade play in the novel? How does it create conflict? How does it develop characters? How does it drive the story?
This section contains 930 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)