|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What becomes of Inspector Kung?
2. What does Sir Cecil call Sarah?
3. What does Christopher apologize to Jennifer for?
4. Who does the Japanese soldier Christopher come upon turn out to be?
5. Where does Sarah ask Christopher to go with her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Uncle Philip offer Christopher at the end of their meeting?
2. What is Jennifer's proposal for herself and Christopher?
3. How does the man driving Christopher to meet Sarah prove to be very useful?
4. How does Christopher spend his afternoon before meeting up with Sarah and Sir Cecil at the Lucky Chance Club?
5. What happens to Christopher as he is finishing his lunch on the day he is to leave for Macao?
6. Describe Christopher's return to his childhood home.
7. What odd habit does Christopher observe in the people of Shanghai?
8. At Christopher's welcome party, what is the crowd's response to the explosion heard outside?
9. What vital clue does Kung reveal to Christopher?
10. How is Christopher treated at the police station?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does the advent of World War II play in the novel? How does the shape of world events parallel events in Christopher's life?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of memory in the novel. What does Christopher say about his own memory? How does what Christopher remembers develop his character?
Essay Topic 3
In chapter sixteen, Sarah urges Christopher to run away with her to Macao. What does Macao represent? Why is Macao particularly enticing to Christopher when Sarah asks him? On an emotional level, what prevents Christopher from making it there?
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)