|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Christopher feel about his chances of bringing his case in Shanghai to a happy conclusion?
2. Who does Yellow Snake turn out to be?
3. How is Christopher's mother when he finds her?
4. According to Sir Cecil, for what do people often mistake Sarah?
5. Where is Christopher told he may find Sir Cecil and Sarah?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As a child Christopher revered the great Inspector Kung. As a grown man Christopher meets the Inspector and discovers he has become a disheveled old drunk. How is this a turning point for Christopher? How is Christopher's meeting with Kung a warning to him? How does it drive him forward?
Essay Topic 2
Kazuo Ishiguro is very specific about dates and years In WHEN WE WERE ORPHANS. Why is specificity of time crucial to the story? What does it reveal about the narrator? How does it affect the reader? How does this specificity contrast with Christopher's highly subjective memories of his past?
Essay Topic 3
What role does the opium trade play in the novel? How does it create conflict? How does it develop characters? How does it drive the story?
This section contains 883 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)