|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Christopher meet Sarah on the day they are to leave?
2. How does Christopher feel about his chances of bringing his case in Shanghai to a happy conclusion?
3. Who ends up knowing where the blind man lives?
4. How does Christopher behave the morning after Sarah's invitation?
5. What does Christopher find in the house?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Christopher feel about his reunion with Akira?
2. How does the man driving Christopher to meet Sarah prove to be very useful?
3. What does Christopher do after he is certain he and Akira have not been pursued?
4. At Christopher's welcome party, what is the crowd's response to the explosion heard outside?
5. How does Christopher spend his afternoon before meeting up with Sarah and Sir Cecil at the Lucky Chance Club?
6. Describe Christopher's return to his childhood home.
7. What happens at the consulate when Christopher asks to meet with Mr. MacDonald?
8. Describe Christopher's reunion with his mother.
9. What happens when the lieutenant tells Christopher that they must wait before continuing to Yeh Chen's house?
10. Describe Christopher and Akira's entry into Yeh Chen's house.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay exploring the development of Christopher Banks. What is the reader led to believe about him at first? What things does Christopher say that encourage the reader to look at him differently? Is he a reliable narrator? How much more does the reader know about Christopher at the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Social distinctions play a prominent role in WHEN WE WERE ORPHANS. Discuss how Ishiguro uses social distinctions to advance the plot and to define relationships between characters. Use examples from Shanghai and Britain.
Essay Topic 3
It is a mixed blessing when Christopher finds his mother and discovers what happened to his father. Why? What does Christopher gain? What is taken away? How is he transformed?
This section contains 876 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)