|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Uncle Philip say happened to Christopher's father?
2. How is the girl's Chinese?
3. What does Sir Cecil call Sarah?
4. What does Christopher tell Jennifer about his love life?
5. Why can the police not send someone with Christopher to the blind man's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. At Christopher's welcome party, what is the crowd's response to the explosion heard outside?
2. What does Uncle Philip say happened to Christopher's parents?
3. How does Christopher feel about his reunion with Akira?
4. Describe Christopher's reunion with his mother.
5. What does Uncle Philip offer Christopher at the end of their meeting?
6. What odd habit does Christopher observe in the people of Shanghai?
7. Describe the Inn of Morning Happiness.
8. Describe Christopher's encounter with Sarah and Sir Cecil at the Lucky Chance Club.
9. Describe Christopher and Akira's entry into Yeh Chen's house.
10. What happens when the lieutenant tells Christopher that they must wait before continuing to Yeh Chen's house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
It is a mixed blessing when Christopher finds his mother and discovers what happened to his father. Why? What does Christopher gain? What is taken away? How is he transformed?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of memory in the novel. What does Christopher say about his own memory? How does what Christopher remembers develop his character?
Essay Topic 3
Most of the novel takes place in London and Shanghai. Compare and contrast these settings. How does Ishiguro use this contrast to develop themes? What are they?
This section contains 824 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)