|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What killings does Christopher ask MacDonald about?
2. Why does Christopher's driver stop when they are looking for the blind actor's house?
3. What does Sir Cecil call Sarah?
4. Who turns out to be the senior intelligence man?
5. How is the girl's Chinese?
Short Essay Questions
1. What vital clue does Kung reveal to Christopher?
2. What does Uncle Philip offer Christopher at the end of their meeting?
3. Describe Christopher's return to his childhood home.
4. What happens when the lieutenant tells Christopher that they must wait before continuing to Yeh Chen's house?
5. How does Christopher spend his afternoon before meeting up with Sarah and Sir Cecil at the Lucky Chance Club?
6. What does Uncle Philip say happened to Christopher's parents?
7. At Christopher's welcome party, what is the crowd's response to the explosion heard outside?
8. How does Christopher feel about his reunion with Akira?
9. Describe Christopher's encounter with Sarah and Sir Cecil at the Lucky Chance Club.
10. What is Jennifer's proposal for herself and Christopher?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In chapter sixteen, Sarah urges Christopher to run away with her to Macao. What does Macao represent? Why is Macao particularly enticing to Christopher when Sarah asks him? On an emotional level, what prevents Christopher from making it there?
Essay Topic 2
What is Sarah Hemmings' role in the novel? What does she represent for Christopher? At the end of the novel, Christopher wonders how her life has turned out. What do you think based on what we know about her?
Essay Topic 3
What role does the advent of World War II play in the novel? How does the shape of world events parallel events in Christopher's life?
This section contains 840 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)