|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the date and location of Part VII?
2. How does Christopher feel before Uncle Philip tells him what happened to his mother?
3. How does Akira respond when he enters the house of the blind man?
4. What landmark is Christopher looking for?
5. What do the Japanese soldiers tell Christopher about Akira?
Essay Topic 1
Social distinctions play a prominent role in WHEN WE WERE ORPHANS. Discuss how Ishiguro uses social distinctions to advance the plot and to define relationships between characters. Use examples from Shanghai and Britain.
Essay Topic 2
Choose three examples of Christopher's perception of himself clashing with others' perception of him. What is the effect of this perception gap? Why do you think Ishiguro uses this device?
Essay Topic 3
What role does the opium trade play in the novel? How does it create conflict? How does it develop characters? How does it drive the story?
This section contains 912 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)