|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who turns out to be the senior intelligence man?
2. What does Kung remember about the house his men could not gain entry to?
3. What killings does Christopher ask MacDonald about?
4. How many days is Christopher in town before Morgan telephones him?
5. Where do Morgan and Christopher go?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Christopher learn about Inspector Kung from Morgan?
2. What does Uncle Philip offer Christopher at the end of their meeting?
3. What happens at the consulate when Christopher asks to meet with Mr. MacDonald?
4. What does Uncle Philip say happened to Christopher's parents?
5. What odd habit does Christopher observe in the people of Shanghai?
6. At Christopher's welcome party, what is the crowd's response to the explosion heard outside?
7. What is Jennifer's proposal for herself and Christopher?
8. Describe the Inn of Morning Happiness.
9. What vital clue does Kung reveal to Christopher?
10. What does Christopher do after he is certain he and Akira have not been pursued?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is Sarah Hemmings' role in the novel? What does she represent for Christopher? At the end of the novel, Christopher wonders how her life has turned out. What do you think based on what we know about her?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay exploring the development of Christopher Banks. What is the reader led to believe about him at first? What things does Christopher say that encourage the reader to look at him differently? Is he a reliable narrator? How much more does the reader know about Christopher at the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
What is Jennifer's role in the story? What does she represent for Christopher? Why is Christopher so eager to adopt her?
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)