|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Christopher's mother when he finds her?
2. Where does Christopher ask his driver to point him?
3. What becomes of Inspector Kung?
4. What does Christopher learn about his financial resources?
5. Who does Yellow Snake turn out to be?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Christopher's reunion with his mother.
2. Describe Christopher's return to his childhood home.
3. What odd habit does Christopher observe in the people of Shanghai?
4. What does Christopher learn about Inspector Kung from Morgan?
5. What vital clue does Kung reveal to Christopher?
6. What happens to Christopher as he is finishing his lunch on the day he is to leave for Macao?
7. What does Christopher do after he is certain he and Akira have not been pursued?
8. Describe Christopher and Akira's entry into Yeh Chen's house.
9. What happens at the consulate when Christopher asks to meet with Mr. MacDonald?
10. How does Christopher feel about his reunion with Akira?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does detection play in WHEN WE WERE ORPHANS? What inherent qualities in Christopher's character do you think lead him to this career choice? How do his family circumstances shape him as a detective?
Essay Topic 2
What role does the advent of World War II play in the novel? How does the shape of world events parallel events in Christopher's life?
Essay Topic 3
Most of the novel takes place in London and Shanghai. Compare and contrast these settings. How does Ishiguro use this contrast to develop themes? What are they?
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)