Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why can the police not send someone with Christopher to the blind man's house?
2. Who comes out of the house in question?
3. What does Sir Cecil call Sarah?
4. What is Sir Cecil's state of mind at the Lucky Chance Club?
5. What is Morgan's manner like when he and Christopher meet?
Essay Topic 1
Social distinctions play a prominent role in WHEN WE WERE ORPHANS. Discuss how Ishiguro uses social distinctions to advance the plot and to define relationships between characters. Use examples from Shanghai and Britain.
Essay Topic 2
Most of the novel takes place in London and Shanghai. Compare and contrast these settings. How does Ishiguro use this contrast to develop themes? What are they?
Essay Topic 3
In chapter sixteen, Sarah urges Christopher to run away with her to Macao. What does Macao represent? Why is Macao particularly enticing to Christopher when Sarah asks him? On an emotional level, what prevents Christopher from making it there?
This section contains 247 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)