|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the girl's Chinese?
2. What killings does Christopher ask MacDonald about?
3. What is Sir Cecil's state of mind at the Lucky Chance Club?
4. What do the Japanese soldiers do with Christopher?
5. What does his escort do when Christopher is disrespectful to him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Christopher's encounter with Sarah and Sir Cecil at the Lucky Chance Club.
2. What vital clue does Kung reveal to Christopher?
3. How does the man driving Christopher to meet Sarah prove to be very useful?
4. What does Uncle Philip offer Christopher at the end of their meeting?
5. What is Jennifer's proposal for herself and Christopher?
6. What does Christopher learn about Inspector Kung from Morgan?
7. How does Christopher feel about his reunion with Akira?
8. Describe the Inn of Morning Happiness.
9. How is Christopher treated at the police station?
10. What happens when the lieutenant tells Christopher that they must wait before continuing to Yeh Chen's house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
WHEN WE WERE ORPHANS is written in first person. Why is this the most effective choice for Ishiguro's purposes? Discuss the impact of first person on character and story development.
Essay Topic 2
As a child Christopher revered the great Inspector Kung. As a grown man Christopher meets the Inspector and discovers he has become a disheveled old drunk. How is this a turning point for Christopher? How is Christopher's meeting with Kung a warning to him? How does it drive him forward?
Essay Topic 3
What role does Christopher's relationship with Akira play in the story? How does it evolve? How does it shape the man Christopher becomes?
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)