|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Sir Cecil, for what do people often mistake Sarah?
2. How many days is Christopher in town before Morgan telephones him?
3. Where does Christopher meet Sarah on the day they are to leave?
4. What does Uncle Philip ask Christopher to do?
5. What landmark is Christopher looking for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Christopher as he is finishing his lunch on the day he is to leave for Macao?
2. What does Uncle Philip offer Christopher at the end of their meeting?
3. How is Christopher treated at the police station?
4. At Christopher's welcome party, what is the crowd's response to the explosion heard outside?
5. How does Christopher feel about his reunion with Akira?
6. Describe Christopher's reunion with his mother.
7. What odd habit does Christopher observe in the people of Shanghai?
8. What does Christopher learn about Inspector Kung from Morgan?
9. What happens at the consulate when Christopher asks to meet with Mr. MacDonald?
10. Describe Christopher's encounter with Sarah and Sir Cecil at the Lucky Chance Club.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
By the end of the novel the reader has traveled with Christopher backwards and forwards in time and from Shanghai to London and back. Starting at the earliest point in time, describe Christopher's journey? Make sure your account has a beginning, middle and end. Having put the story in chronological order, do you understand anything new about the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Christopher's mother is one of the most prominent figures in his life both before and after her abduction. What qualities does Christopher inherit from his mother? How do these very qualities prevent him from giving up on finding her? How is Christopher's relationship with his mother transformed by her abduction? How is it transformed by her rescue?
Essay Topic 3
It is a mixed blessing when Christopher finds his mother and discovers what happened to his father. Why? What does Christopher gain? What is taken away? How is he transformed?
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)