|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Christopher meet Sarah on the day they are to leave?
2. How does Christopher know when he has found the blind man's house?
3. What is the cause of the explosion that rocks the ball room while Grayson and Christopher are speaking?
4. How does Christopher feel about his chances of bringing his case in Shanghai to a happy conclusion?
5. Why does Christopher's driver stop when they are looking for the blind actor's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Uncle Philip offer Christopher at the end of their meeting?
2. How does Christopher feel about his reunion with Akira?
3. What happens to Christopher as he is finishing his lunch on the day he is to leave for Macao?
4. Describe Christopher's return to his childhood home.
5. What happens when the lieutenant tells Christopher that they must wait before continuing to Yeh Chen's house?
6. What odd habit does Christopher observe in the people of Shanghai?
7. What vital clue does Kung reveal to Christopher?
8. What happens at the consulate when Christopher asks to meet with Mr. MacDonald?
9. How does Christopher spend his afternoon before meeting up with Sarah and Sir Cecil at the Lucky Chance Club?
10. Describe the Inn of Morning Happiness.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
By the end of the novel the reader has traveled with Christopher backwards and forwards in time and from Shanghai to London and back. Starting at the earliest point in time, describe Christopher's journey? Make sure your account has a beginning, middle and end. Having put the story in chronological order, do you understand anything new about the novel?
Essay Topic 2
In chapter sixteen, Sarah urges Christopher to run away with her to Macao. What does Macao represent? Why is Macao particularly enticing to Christopher when Sarah asks him? On an emotional level, what prevents Christopher from making it there?
Essay Topic 3
What role does the opium trade play in the novel? How does it create conflict? How does it develop characters? How does it drive the story?
This section contains 891 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)