|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sir Cecil call Sarah?
2. Inspector Kung telephones Christopher with what news?
3. What case does Christopher ask Kung about?
4. What becomes of Inspector Kung?
5. What does his escort do when Christopher is disrespectful to him?
Essay Topic 1
WHEN WE WERE ORPHANS is written in first person. Why is this the most effective choice for Ishiguro's purposes? Discuss the impact of first person on character and story development.
Essay Topic 2
It is a mixed blessing when Christopher finds his mother and discovers what happened to his father. Why? What does Christopher gain? What is taken away? How is he transformed?
Essay Topic 3
What is Sarah Hemmings' role in the novel? What does she represent for Christopher? At the end of the novel, Christopher wonders how her life has turned out. What do you think based on what we know about her?
This section contains 922 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)