|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Uncle Philip say happened to Christopher's father?
2. What does the little girl tell Christopher about?
3. How does Christopher know when he has found the blind man's house?
4. How is Christopher greeted at the police station?
5. What do the Japanese soldiers do with Christopher?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does detection play in WHEN WE WERE ORPHANS? What inherent qualities in Christopher's character do you think lead him to this career choice? How do his family circumstances shape him as a detective?
Essay Topic 2
As a child Christopher revered the great Inspector Kung. As a grown man Christopher meets the Inspector and discovers he has become a disheveled old drunk. How is this a turning point for Christopher? How is Christopher's meeting with Kung a warning to him? How does it drive him forward?
Essay Topic 3
What role does the opium trade play in the novel? How does it create conflict? How does it develop characters? How does it drive the story?
This section contains 917 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)