|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Akira respond when he enters the house of the blind man?
2. What do the Japanese soldiers tell Christopher about Akira?
3. What does Christopher learn about his financial resources?
4. Where does the girl urge Christopher to go?
5. Where does Christopher meet Sarah on the day they are to leave?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens at the consulate when Christopher asks to meet with Mr. MacDonald?
2. Describe Christopher's return to his childhood home.
3. At Christopher's welcome party, what is the crowd's response to the explosion heard outside?
4. What happens to Christopher as he is finishing his lunch on the day he is to leave for Macao?
5. Describe Christopher's encounter with Sarah and Sir Cecil at the Lucky Chance Club.
6. How is Christopher treated at the police station?
7. What is Jennifer's proposal for herself and Christopher?
8. What happens when the lieutenant tells Christopher that they must wait before continuing to Yeh Chen's house?
9. Describe the Inn of Morning Happiness.
10. Describe Christopher's reunion with his mother.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
WHEN WE WERE ORPHANS is written in first person. Why is this the most effective choice for Ishiguro's purposes? Discuss the impact of first person on character and story development.
Essay Topic 2
What is Sarah Hemmings' role in the novel? What does she represent for Christopher? At the end of the novel, Christopher wonders how her life has turned out. What do you think based on what we know about her?
Essay Topic 3
Choose three examples of Christopher's perception of himself clashing with others' perception of him. What is the effect of this perception gap? Why do you think Ishiguro uses this device?
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)